• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 09)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Masked Man said:
:O :O :O

I thought I was the only one reading this! What a pleasant coincidence. Also, Mishima = <33333333

I finished reading Spring Snow, such a beautiful book. I read Slaughterhouse-Five by Vonnegut after it and now I'm reading Runaway Horses. I already bought The Temple of Dawn and The Decay of the Angel. I can already see why this tetralogy is called Mishima's masterpiece.

I also ordered Confessions of a Mask and After the Banquet.

Finished up Catch 22 a while ago. Great, great book, loved the dark absurd humor. Beautifully written at many times too.

Just started The Sun Also Rises. Eh, I'm a little disappointed. I love American Literature, but I'm getting a little tired of all the Gatsby-esque setting and characters. I'm only on chapter 5 though so hopefully it picks up soon!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Got bout 50 or so pages left myself on Lies of Locke Lamora, was good but you can tell was first effort (hard to describe why). Gonna pick up the next one and see how it goes!

Edit: Done, good stuff. I think he goes to much into detail throughout the book so theres no real surprises when the major events happen, all in all a good read though.

"Is this winning?"
"It is"
"It can go fuck itself"
Just finished the book this morning. I agree with what you said about being able to tell it was a first effort (the writing got a little sloppier near the last 100 pages), but it was still a pretty damn enjoyable read. any idea if he's working on the sequel or something else? the only fantasy i read is george rr martin and that guy's made me all paranoid about sequel timetables now.

still, i'd recommend The Lies Of Locke Lamora to anyone looking for a fun fantasy read.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Mike Works said:
Just finished the book this morning. I agree with what you said about being able to tell it was a first effort (the writing got a little sloppier near the last 100 pages), but it was still a pretty damn enjoyable read. any idea if he's working on the sequel or something else? the only fantasy i read is george rr martin and that guy's made me all paranoid about sequel timetables now.

still, i'd recommend The Lies Of Locke Lamora to anyone looking for a fun fantasy read.

Yeah sequels already out its called Red Seas Under Red Skies, i'd have grabbed it but i've got about 7 other books i gotta read first :/

Still reading The Dragon Keeper, drawn out book, halfway through and its not very "exciting" but its alright, end half hopefully will be ace.

Aadil

Banned
My girlfriend bought me these, The Kite Runner and a Thousand Splendid Suns Signed Edition. <3

41bmcSkaRGL._SS500_.jpg

vareon

Halfway on Book of Lost Things. It's better than my expectation so far, but I kinda think it's time for the book to leave the twisted fairytale gimmick.

Wollan

Well, it was time I jumped on the wagon and joined the rest.
Half-way through this now and enjoying every page.

big0553381687.jpg

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I have to read Crime and Punishment for school starting Monday.

CrimePunishment.jpg

Can anyone tell me what I'm getting myself into?

Salazar

Started on 'Everything is Illuminated' by Jonathan Safran Foer.

The jumbled language is charming and impressively rendered, but it will be fucking infuriating before the end.

K2Valor said:

I read that exact same edition, haha. I've never had to read it for school, but I really enjoyed it. Yes, it's long and Russian, but it's actually really interesting. Also, don't skip over the notes at the end, as they can be really helpful.

ant_

bumbillbee said:
I read that exact same edition, haha. I've never had to read it for school, but I really enjoyed it. Yes, it's long and Russian, but it's actually really interesting. Also, don't skip over the notes at the end, as they can be really helpful.
Yeah it's the edition I have as well. Our teacher wants us to make notes in the book as we read, and "close-read" a page per chapter. Ugh.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
K2Valor said:

An intellectual awakening?

You're going to tear through that motherfucker. You'll do two deep readings per chapter, and when you're done with the book, you'll wipe the sweat from your brow and trudge to Borders and pick up The Brothers Karamazov and taste the sweet torment once again.

Else you'll read some basterdized cliff notes online and 15 years from now smirk at your step child as you see them bring it home as an assignment and mutter something about that piece of shit you attempted to read once. The memory will dissipate in a swig of lite canned beer. Your shoes will be ugly.

Those are your two paths.

ant_

Musashi Wins! said:
An intellectual awakening?

You're going to tear through that motherfucker. You'll do two deep readings per chapter, and when you're done with the book, you'll wipe the sweat from your brow and trudge to Borders and pick up The Brothers Karamazov and taste the sweet torment once again.

Else you'll read some basterdized cliff notes online and 15 years from now smirk at your step child as you see them bring it home as an assignment and mutter something about that piece of shit you attempted to read once. The memory will dissipate in a swig of lite canned beer. Your shoes will be ugly.

Those are your two paths.

What path did you take? :lol

ccarver3

Just finished reading A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

2hnm9mp.jpg

Thinking about reading The Fountainhead.

Also waiting for Foundation's Edge from the library, then I can finally finish the foundation series.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
K2Valor said:

CrimePunishment.jpg

A extremely good book. (i'm reading it now like 350 pages in).
I'm not reading it for school though.:D

_DSC0002.jpg

Just read this one. I find Palahniuk books to be decent, assuredly quick reads. I liked Rant, read Snuff but wasn't fond of it.
This one sort of read like a poem, and was enjoyable to an extent...

Just starting this one tonight
_DSC0007-1.jpg

I read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets over the weekend. It was good, but felt like Philosopher's Stone Mk II. I've started Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban this morning. Here's hoping it's as good as the movie.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
the_painted_bird said:
Just starting this one tonight
_DSC0007-1.jpg

You're in for an absolute treat; one of the most beautiful and epic stories I've ever read. Chabon's prose is also amongst the best I've read.

3qz5g.jpg

Good so far, and a lot easier to follow due to the self-contained story than the Lord of the Rings. Makes me really want to start the Silmarillion.

EDIT:

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets over the weekend. It was good, but felt like Philosopher's Stone Mk II. I've started Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban this morning. Here's hoping it's as good as the movie.

Stick with the series and you'll find it gets better as you progress. Especially as you get to scenes that were cut from the films due to time constraints. PoA was the first film to deviate significantly from the source material, so you may find some scenes that pique your interest.

Just finished the Half Blood Prince and going to pick up the 7th book tomorrow from the library.

I can't to see how things finish up.

ccarver3

jon bones said:
You're in for an absolute treat; one of the most beautiful and epic stories I've ever read. Chabon's prose is also amongst the best I've read.

I've been told to read Chabon's The Mysteries of Pittsburgh before and haven't gotten around to it. Seeing as I use these threads to expand what I read as much as possible, I'm definitely going to grab Kavalier & Clay ( and Pittsburgh).

Any other books by him that are as praiseworthy?

InnerFu

Neo Member
Wollan said:
Well, it was time I jumped on the wagon and joined the rest.
Half-way through this now and enjoying every page.

big0553381687.jpg

Same here, except i'm only about a quarter of the way through......i seriously can't believe how well this shit is written.

ccarver3 said:
I've been told to read Chabon's The Mysteries of Pittsburgh before and haven't gotten around to it. Seeing as I use these threads to expand what I read as much as possible, I'm definitely going to grab Kavalier & Clay ( and Pittsburgh).

I like Wonder Boys pretty well, and also the aforementioned Mysteries of Pittsburgh (it's my favorite). I've also read part of the essay collection he put out recently, and that was pretty good. Can't remember the title offhand.

Mifune

Mehmber
ccarver3 said:

Wonder Boys and The Yiddish Policemen's Union. Both are wonderful.

Tigel

Trying my best to finish
51H69ynbBiL_SS500_.jpg

(His Dark Materials)

I'm half way through the third book, but I kinda lost motivation... I don't know, to me The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass are just not as good as Northern Lights :(

Gabroni

Banned
I just finished Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted
6a00cdf3ac63a4cb8f00e398b720a20005-500pi

Some of the stories were sort of boring

Still have 30% of American Psych left (started mid February, stopped reading early March--stopped after chapter 44 "Tries to Eat a Girl"), no matter who I borrow it from, I just can't bring myself to finish it, it's just too damn descriptive.
american-psycho-cover1.jpg

I really don't think I can ever finish this book.

Started Clockwork Orange (beginning of Part 2--really good)
40-1.jpg

and Fast Food Nation (why did I buy this after I saw the movie and didn't like it? It's just not as interesting as The Jungle)
fastfoonation.jpg

deadbeef

movie_club said:
Yay! first post. You have no idea how long ive been waiting to post in this thread! Thanks for all the great suggestions guys! especially the Road. Anyway this is what im reading for now...

Nakedcoverc11418.jpg

Pretty good so far, this is my second Sedaris book. I just saw him at Strand bookstore in NYC and heard this one was good, so ill let you know!

The preferred way to read a Sedaris book is not to read it, but get the audiobook. He's such a great narrator. I think I have every one of his books as audiobooks.

nyong

Banned
Just finished these two:

wizardofearthsea.jpg
the-tombs-of-atuan.jpg

Moving onto:

TheFarthestShore.jpg

I really like the series so far, but Le Guin's roots in anthropology are glaringly obvious and drag the books down a bit. I heard it gets worse when she delves into feminism. We shall we.

14-1.jpg

I've heard such great things about it, but it really has just failed to remotely interest me so far. Seems rather aimless really. I'm about halfway through and wondering if it's worth my time to finish it up.

Oozer3993

Currently on:

4814.jpg

Just finished re-reading:

4602.jpg

0601.jpg

viciouskillersquirrel said:

After seeing Half Blood Prince over the weekend I've decided to finally dive into the books. I'll probably end up finishing right around the time the next movie comes out.

Ryu

I finished Silent Bob Speaks way early in the month. I really enjoyed it since I never read any of his blogs or the stories within before. Very entertaining.

Also just finished this -

148j8ec.jpg

It was OK. I have a great respect for Zahn and how he steers the EU (particularly with The Force Unleashed), but his style of writing leaves much to be desired. It had almost too many references to the original trilogy of films. Plus, everyone grimaces or has a shiver or twists their lips and it happens almost once per page. Kind of ridiculous at 400+ pages.

I might read the second since this is the first of a trilogy (and Thrawn is cool as fuck) but I have not decided yet.

Anyways, time for a pallet cleanser from Star Wars and I'm beginning this -

iviro2.jpg

Slavik81

Death Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases
I just finished. It's a surprisingly good book. The book itself is pretty nice, hardcover and string-bound, with a built-in bookmark.

I was half-expecting and half-fearing it would turn out like Death Note, and just be a disappointing mess, but it proved me wrong. It reminded me of the early to mid sections of Death Note, and overall it was rather good. Not amazing, but as far as mystery novels go it did well.

another_noteweb.jpg

Finally finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Was entertaining, but still felt like a children's book. The Dursleys need to be deleted from this series.

On to Goblet of Fire (my favourite HP movie - I hope the book lives up to those lofty heights).

epitome

Neo Member
So I started trying to read some fiction books lately because of all these threads and I enjoy browsing through them. I have always read non fiction but because of these threads i have started to try and read through some fiction recommendations.
WARNING bare with my lack of fiction knowledge. I picked up some charlie huston books and really enjoyed them and duane swierczynski's THE BLONDE. Fun book to read went by really quick.

22620508.jpg

I picked this up because I always see it get a mention and it sounded interesting
26672666.jpg

man was I wrong, I gave it 100 pages and easily came to the conclusion that this is not my kinda fiction. I do not know how else to explain it just was not getting into it and just seemed like a giant cluster fuck of information/story that i couldnt get into. whatever but not for me. Is this more a dislike of this genre of fiction or just this particular author? as I have read neither the author or this type of fiction before.

moved onto this also because of recommendations on these threads all the time. I enjoyed no country for old men the movie, never read the guys books though.
12596741.jpg

I am trying with this one because it seems a short enough read but I am not a fan of this guys writting style. i hate reading a page of words just to describe how the weather is for the day. I dunno how else to describe it, I am nowhere done reading the book and I will read it all the way but just saying do not care for this type of writing style. Again I do not read much fiction I have always been a non fiction reader until I started checking out these threads. I was checking out the Blood Meridian how is it? I enjoy western movies but this will be my first western book to read and again 2nd book by McCarthy, is it written in the same style?

also I picked up this one and I mention it because I have not seen anyone else mention it So far its pretty kick ass, its called Beat The Reaper by josh bazell. Fun read goes by really quick. im about half way through it and started this morning.
35778269.JPG

I'd like to check out those joe abercrombie books and way of shadows books, they will probably be next on the list.

Lots of things to check out as before this past week my fiction books read consisted of The Godfather and The Temple of the Golden Pavillion haha what a crazy combo.

Stairs

Banned
hey_monkey said:
I like Wonder Boys pretty well, and also the aforementioned Mysteries of Pittsburgh (it's my favorite). I've also read part of the essay collection he put out recently, and that was pretty good. Can't remember the title offhand.

Maps and Legends is probably what you're thinking of. I'm glad to finally see Michael Chabon get some much deserved GAF love.

Top Bottom