• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undeux

So, summer reading has begun. What are you guys reading?

239e810ae7a075c204f69110.L.jpg

Still working on this... only about halfway through. It gains momentum and then you have to read about Waterloo for fifty pages. Or a convent for forty. I'm liking it, but it maybe could use a little less Victor Hugo and a little more of the actual story.

7f90793509a0bdc699643110.L.jpg

Caught this in one of the last reading threads and it sounded good. So far I like it a lot.

besada

Banned
Just finished Mystery, The Throat, and The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub. To more Straub books left (both on my bedside table) and there will be no more for me to read. So sad.

Afterwards I'll read Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds.

kathode

About to finish this bad boy:
51DE7TJXVGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Will probably jump straight to the 3rd one.

Got the news that my Kindle DX is shipping on 6/15 so I think my reading is going to increase very soon.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
My lastest (free!) aquisition: Kobo Abe's The Ruined Map. I figured since Teshigahara's film adaptation is going to remain unavailable, I may as well read the book. Also, I've been listening to Robert Evan's The Kid Stays In the Picture on audio because of Patton Oswalt's bit about it. :)

the_ruined_map_large.jpg
KidStaysInThePicture.png

yonder

BOOK%20REV%20SHOUT.jpg

Found this for £3 at HMV and thought I'd learnt a bit more about The Beatles in preparation for the remixes of their catalogue in September. I've only read the long-ass prologue so far, but it seems very promising.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
9780375756788lrg.jpg

I am about half way through with The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt right now. It is a terrific book. I am tempted to start right away on Theordore Rex when I am finished, but I think I am going to read the below first. I blame the post-apocalyptic books I read last month.

one_minute_to_midnightlarge.jpg

Screaming_Gremlin

dragonlife29 said:
Don't you hate when you post the same image URL twice? ;)

:p

Heh, was hoping to get away with the edit before someone noticed. :lol Even worse, the image URL was where I got one of the pictures from and not my rehost link.

Masked Man

I said wow
4770029039.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A means to further understanding the love of my life, Mishima Yukio. <33

Recently finished Forbidden Colors and Thirst For Love, too, the former now my favorite novel.

Mifune

Mehmber
Cosmic Bus said:
My lastest (free!) aquisition: Kobo Abe's The Ruined Map. I figured since Teshigahara's film adaptation is going to remain unavailable, I may as well read the book. Also, I've been listening to Robert Evan's The Kid Stays In the Picture on audio because of Patton Oswalt's bit about it. :)

What did you think of Erickson?

batbeg

51yvOnXo8wL._SS500_.jpg

I've been meaning to read this for a long time, and finally went out and bought it. This is a great book, and by the sounds of it, the first in a series or saga of some sort, so I can't wait to find the next one (assuming it's out yet). Hopefully the Martin recommendation on the cover is not indicative of 3,000 years between installments. Although the author often seems to think they're more clever than they are, really, as everything is considerably obvious... it just reads so fantastically. And! It has gladiators fight against
sharks
- if that's the highest utmost recommendation you can have for a book, then fuck off.

51nhn57mviL._SS500_.jpg

I've never read anything by Ray Bradbury before, nor was he particularly prolific in my eyes, but I was looking for another sci-fi writer to gain my interests, as I love slightly outdated sci-fi. So far I've not hit anything too great in it, but most of it's pretty nice.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
bookcover.jpg
templeattime.gif

This guy David Flynn has really captured my attention. The books are about ancient civilizations (Egyptians, Greeks, etc.) similarities in their religion and how much they were involved in astrological alignment of the stars and planets.

Timber

past few days i've been reading Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. got to the part where he has sex with prostitutes and is thrust into a massive catholic guilt trip and i had to put it down on account of it becoming too depressing to bear. there's only so much talk about sin and god's justice and judgment one can take in one night.

it's a very good novel tho and i'm going to read more tonight.

*image of cover*

Salazar

David Denby - 'Great Books' - he returns, middle aged, to Columbia to take their Lit.Hum introductory course. Brilliant.

Murray Spender 'Shake Down the Thunder' - History of Notre Dame football. Good so far.

ta3gh2.jpg

The Horus Heresy series. Dan Abnett kicks off with the first book (Horus Rising). Great stuff. I always feel guilty cause I should be reading literary work, something more challenging maybe. But I love science fiction and I love the 40k universe. The beauty of simple binary oppositions. I guess it relaxes me.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
b7ezvs.jpg

Hundred pages in, I'm digging the play with
melding realities
but I've read that the backstory is long and grating.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
blazinglord said:
I'm reading three pretty good books at the moment:
dd6ac0a398a03948e8b0121.jpg

This is a great book and if you enjoyed it I might suggest this book (already read it but couldn't help but to throw this out there)

51A9N9WK9XL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU09_.jpg

Just finished:

collected-fictions1.jpg

Collected Fictions by Borges. That's all of his separate prose volumes together. For twenty dollars.

Simple words cannot describe the legitimate wonder and mystery and perfection within these stories. If you like anything of surrealism, dreams, tigers, mirrors, fate, wonder.... I'm sending it too everyone I know for summer reading.

Edit: And murderers. And knife-fights. And illusions.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Mifune said:
What did you think of Erickson?

Y'know, I didn't get very far into Rubicon Beach in all honesty. Of what I did read, I actually liked the setting and his writing style, but I've been in a pretty bad place for a while now and can't really focus on reading very well -- I've since given up on two other books, too. I'm keeping the Erickson stuff around for the future, though.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
afternoon delight said:
Simple words cannot describe the legitimate wonder and mystery and perfection within these stories. If you like anything of surrealism, dreams, tigers, mirrors, fate, wonder....

Ooooh, that sounds fantastic

Salazar

Undeux said:
Still working on this... only about halfway through. It gains momentum and then you have to read about Waterloo for fifty pages. Or a convent for forty. I'm liking it, but it maybe could use a little less Victor Hugo and a little more of the actual story.

I recall a translator's note giving the reader permission to skim, if not outright skip, those parts.

Big-E

Currently reading Joyce's Dubliners which I am almost done. After I plan on reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
kathode said:
About to finish this bad boy:

Will probably jump straight to the 3rd one.

Got the news that my Kindle DX is shipping on 6/15 so I think my reading is going to increase very soon.

You won't be disappointed. A Storm of Swords is my FAVORITE book ever.

Just Finished:

572.jpg

I've been wanting to read this novel for a long time. It's been several years since I was last with Caine and I was a bit worried that my expectations - exceptionally high - from the last novel would diminish my ability to love this one. I was wrong. Not only is this a worthy continuation of the story, but in Stover's mix of the past fused with the present it's also a stunning exploration of the character and his transformation.

The secret of these novels is that each time you pick up a new entry, you learn that you don't know Caine as much as you'd think, but there remains one reliable aspect: he's always the most dangerous person in the room because he's always living in the moment. However, for all his reputation, for all the violence and mayhem that follows him, on the inside he's simply a scarred man doing the best he can. It ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger, but the other half of the story is resolved so well it drains nothing from the satisfaction.

Serious themes such as exploitation, morality and humanity are touched on, and Stover draws from the Heart of Darkness well again with his usual quality. My favourite SFF novel of 2008. A shame the next Caine novel could possibly be the last. How this astounding series could suffer from sub-par sales is a mystery for me.

n139525.jpg

A fantastic introduction to a character that pushes at the best of Dumas, and a keen exploration of an extraordinary time and place. The narration caught me by surprise, but it works quite well and gives you a great sense of anticipation for the future of these tales. The action flows with relaxed style and the antagonists are a relish to fear. Must get the next entry!

n274518.jpg

A disappointing end to an enjoyable series. Don't be overly-worried, the action is well-written. Primarily, the events becoming a bit too contrived and the ending borrowing a bit too much from a close genre source are what hurt it for me. The characterization, though, was superb - I truly wish Buettner could have slowed down more in parts.

n141798.jpg

and the Fox (sequel)

The story starts out in such an overused fashion (youth goes to academy to learn arts of war) that I wasn't expecting much, but then it takes an interesting turn. The intrigue is crafted nicely, the characters - especially the younger ones - are well developed, and the action is neat. It really opens up into a great story, and although there are a few flaws that detracted from the experience in the first, they largely disappear in the sequel. Seems like one of those series that appreciate in quality as they go on. Moreover, the sequel opens up things so well that I was a bit disappointed when
Inda goes back home
. Kudos to Cyan for planting me on the path; anything else with Sherwood Smith's name on it that you'd recommend besides this series?

Now Reading:

Murder of Roger Akroyd by Christie.
Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon.

Taking A Break From:

War & Peace by Tolstoy.
Total War by Ahern. :)lol - maybe, it's just too manly for me?)

afternoon delight said:
Simple words cannot describe the legitimate wonder and mystery and perfection within these stories.

Totally agree. Read Labyrinths last month. I'm still in awe.

Screaming_Gremlin

Also, for those who are interested check out the website Goodreads.com that BlueTsunami posted about in the May thread.

It is sort of like a Facebook that revolves entirely around books. We have a GAF group started, although there aren't a ton of us yet.

NeoGAF Group

Dorrin

Just picked it up from the library:

51S1wibDTOL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Been working on for like over 2 months and can't get it finished, 1000 pages + in hardcover:

200px-

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
That Borges collection is the greatest thing on earth. Get the non-fiction one too!

51JRNTSsjoL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It is the Thoreau I know, but it's still a fun read.

Screaming_Gremlin said:
Also, for those who are interested check out the website Goodreads.com that BlueTsunami posted about in the May thread.

It is sort of like a Facebook that revolves entirely around books. We have a GAF group started, although there aren't a ton of us yet.

NeoGAF Group

I just joined the group

Warmup with a little bit of light science(I seem to have just as many basic books like this as I do on actual studies... they're just too much fun to read!):
o0urv6.jpg

Head into some harder stuff(can't just read fun books):
aw72hv.jpg

And unwind with my favorite philosophy:
20kvc0j.jpg

And for when I want to dig into something a little more meaningful:
1j4wia.jpg

puck1337

Nostrildamus said:
One of the best reads of my life, right there. I'm reading a couple of her other books right now (Economy of Cities, Systems of Survival) and they're also excellent.

algebraist.jpg

My wife bought me a few of his books for my birthday and so far it's pretty good. It's slightly more focused than his Culture stuff but also still mind blowingly high concept in some parts.

Screaming_Gremlin said:
9780375756788lrg.jpg

I am about half way through with The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt right now. It is a terrific book. I am tempted to start right away on Theordore Rex when I am finished, but I think I am going to read the below first. I blame the post-apocalyptic books I read last month.

one_minute_to_midnightlarge.jpg

is one minute to midnight out in paperback? Am i the only one that hates hardcovers? Expensive and clunkier to boot.

nyong

Banned
nyong said:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n279/ceb-02/Deception.jpg

It's not a complete disaster.

This man is a filthy liar. I just finished the book and immediately regret doing so.

a-clockwork-orange.gif

A great read. Having seeing the film first (and loving it) it's nice to read the final chapter that was omitted from the US release and the film. Nadsat is great and not hard to understand at all really.

Was also surprised to learn that Malcolm Mcdowell was the actor who played Alex in the film, the guy from Heroes and other stuff.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Because of the recent announcement at E3, I figured I finally start this one...

n36468.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom