• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2010)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'm reading Extra Lives by Tom Bissell.

Really refreshing to an intelligent account of why someone my age might like playing modern games. And also talk about what they find repellent about them at the same time. I can't think of any other book like it about the subject.

DieH@rd

Banned
Ive finished A Clash of Kings and im in the middle of A Storm of Swords. Win.

martin_ack.jpg

-------NOTE--------
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk is offering FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING for all their books and comics, dont be an asshole buy something! They even ship to my god forsaken country.

In a few days i will purchase A FEAST FOR CROWS for 7.3euros! Great price for a new book.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
icarus-daedelus said:
I tried reading The Lies of Locke Lamora again, but I just couldn't stand it. The prose is so clearly overdone. You're worldbuilding, I get it. Please do it with more subtlety next time, or at least be as inventive as Mieville or somebody.

It doesn't get better. I actually finished it. The plot and characters are unrealistic. Lock and his band are about as deep as the twilight characters. The ending is completely implausible given the very world the author created. I gave the author a second chance and started reading the second book, couldn't finish it.

I have a lot of bad experiences with books lately.

Started reading Cloud Atlas. I tried. I really did. I can't stand the stile. The sentences are too long, paragraphs are too long. It's just awful. I'm about 60 pages in and I still don't know what the fuck is going on or why I should keep reading. I put it down.

Before that, I tried reading Dr. Norrle and Mr. Strange. Again, I had issues with the prose.

I'm about to go back to hispanic literature. I have an Isabelle Allende book I'm going to try. I hope I enjoy it. I don't think I can deal with another unreadable book.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Read a bunch this month:

World Without End - I enjoyed Pillars of the Earth, but found the sequel to be bordering on offensively bad. Terrible writing, and basically rehashes the exact same plot with the exact same characters, just two hundred years later and with different names

House of Leaves Thoroughly enjoyed it. To whoever said it was a ripoff of Pale Fire, you are a fool. It borrowed some of the structural ideas of Pale Fire, but was an entirely different animal.

Shadow of the Wind A light read, but the author has good style. The story was interesting, the characters good, plot decent. I have a soft spot for Barcelona, so I may be a bit biased. Would recommend it.

American Rust Absolutely loved it. Amazing character study into lives living through the decline and destruction of American industry.

The Winter of our Discontent Brilliant. I can't believe I waited this long to read it. Do I even need to say anything about it?

Dead Souls About 1/4 into this. My first Gogol. Really liking it so far.

Currently reading:

2hgfskh.jpg
Somewhat interesting although more for Americans, than English readers.

and

of9fgi.jpg
Very interesting, got to admire Arnie.

eznark

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Read a bunch this month:

[

American Rust Absolutely loved it. Amazing character study into lives living through the decline and destruction of American industry.

Nice, I am just about to start this (soon as I finish the last book in the First Law trilogy), looks really good. The excerpt I read and the synopsis reminded me a lot of Larry Brown.

thomaser

DieH@rd said:
-------NOTE--------
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk is offering FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING for all their books and comics, dont be an asshole buy something! They even ship to my god forsaken country.

Thanks, I'll probably switch to them instead of Amazon when buying books internationally. Amazon is great, but their international shipping negates a lot of the savings I get from their prices.

Anyway, finished two books the last couple of days. Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell and Rosmersholm by Ibsen. The first is very interesting and fresh, as is the norm with Gladwell. I love his kind of books, and can't wait for his next one! Rosmersholm is a typical Ibsen play, spotlighting his favourite contrasts like rich/poor, new ideas/tradition, truth/secrets and so on. Always worth reading.

Now, I've just started a book I've looked forward to for a long time:

41dj7RD8yWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. The praise I've seen for this book is incredible, almost over the top. Can it justify all the superlatives? I'm only 12 pages in, and it starts on a high note. Funny thing is, there's a yearly drive to make people read this book called "Infinite Summer" (http://infinitesummer.org), and it just started a week before I started reading, without my knowledge. So I get to read it along with all the others :)

I searched but I couldn't find a thread for July .. is one up yet? I'd create one but I don't wanna step on any toes.

Anywho, I finished The Glass Castle and started Feed

51D5wpcgF1L._SL500_AA266_PIkin2,BottomRight,-22,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just finished -
allquiet.jpg

Best book I've read since Lolita last year. What an intense novel.

Next up on the docket:
4099_Book-Neuromancer.jpg

And then back to something nonfiction.

tmarques

secret_rendezvous.large.jpg

Finished reading this earlier this week. Brilliant. Reminded me a lot of Kafka's The Trial - half the time I couldn't decide whether I should feel scared, disgusted, amused or aroused.

Loved it so much I was going to read this next -

412-3.jpg

Until I realised this is the only Abe book that's been translated that I haven't read yet, and the thought made me depressed. So I started this one instead -

0345410092.jpg

Not a huge fan of autobiographies, but damn, what a cool lady.

_Isaac

Maklershed said:
Finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (which I enjoyed more than I thought I would) and on to The Glass Castle: A Memoir. It's entertaining and I'm enjoying it but frankly, I feel its a lot of bullshit. I don't believe half of what this lady said happened to her really took place.

41teA5LATOL._SL500_AA266_PIkin2,BottomRight,-16,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This book was boring me to tears. I didn't finish it because I just didn't care anymore.

Top Bottom