• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Are You Reading? - March '08 Edition

nitewulf

Member
 

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Built To Win. Book by John Schuerholz (Former Atlanta Braves GM) about his successes with the Atlanta Braves. Good read if you are a Braves fan.
 
AndersTheSwede said:
I usually don't put much stock in jacket quotes, but in this case they were all correct. This book really is a "mad tornado of words." The prose is so off the wall eccentric I smile the whole time reading it.


I just started reading this. Very cool so far.

Next up a book by a girl from my hometown:

 

Yamauchi

Banned
I'm reading Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds. Finally finished reading all the other Revelation Space books. Absolution Gap is good.

Also reading The Ships of Earth by OSC. A little less interesting than the previous two books in the series.
 

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I would like to re-read To Kill a Mockingbird to see how it holds up. I really liked it way back in junior high. Everybody in the South read it back in the 80s in school, but I remember reading somewhere that the PC police had tried to excise it from curricula. I wonder if it is still widely assigned by English teachers.
 

Flo_Evans

Member


Not sure how I feel about it. Michael Bierut is kind of a dick, but he is a partner at one of the most respected design firms on the planet... so I guess he has earned the right to be frank.
 

G-Bus

Gold Member
Currently reading Slava Bohu: The Story of the Dukhobors.

In the last year I've gotten more interested in my family history. Couple weeks ago I stumbled upon this book. Interesting read so far, but I'm still unsure how true all of it is. If you ask any of the older folks around town about it they kind of go off on a tangent and get annoyed. "You weren't there when they burnt my house down", " You don't know what happened" etc.
 

YYZ

Junior Member


I finished reading Neuromancer by Wiliam Gibson recently. Really amazing, but confusing at times (I think everyone reading this has a different idea of what the matrix looks like in this universe). I'm shocked that this was written 25 years ago with the kind of stuff that Gibson wrote. Now I want to read the two other books that are part of the trilogy.

Has anyone read Ilium by Dan Simmons? I have to read this one for a sci-fi class and it's really damn long (intimidating). I actually read Neuromancer for the same class too.
 
Alucard said:
I read that a month or so ago. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I just finished up Dune, wow that was awesome. It really took a while to get accustomed to all the names and terms getting thrown out there at first, but after 100 pages, I was totally fucking sucked into the universe. How far have you gotten into the book, Eric?

Now, I ask GAF's opinion of the sequels. Are any of them worth a read? I really want to keep reading about that universe, but I also don't want it ruined.

And I hate this book:
Maybe I'm just a misogynist.
 
Flo_Evans said:


Not sure how I feel about it. Michael Bierut is kind of a dick, but he is a partner at one of the most respected design firms on the planet... so I guess he has earned the right to be frank.
have you seen the documentary Helvetica? it's about the history of the font and how type affects how we live, pretty awesome. Michael Bierut is in it in addition to many industry giants i.e. Paula Scher, Neville Brody, David Carson, and my fuckin idol, Stefan Sagmeister. Yeah, I'm a design whore.
 


^^^

It's fantastic. Part documentary part epic tale. Catalogs the lives of a certain breed of sea turtles (categorized as the last remaining dinosaur), and their struggle against our hurtful civilization. Breathtaking imagery.




^^^

Just finished this last week. Bio-journal about a man's quest to see a mountain lion, and the startling revelations he has along the way. "Caught In Fading Light", by Gary Thorp. Highly reccommended to anyone interested in the Earth, Zen Buddhism, or Mountain Lions.
 

Eric P

Member
CajoleJuice said:
I read that a month or so ago. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I just finished up Dune, wow that was awesome. It really took a while to get accustomed to all the names and terms getting thrown out there at first, but after 100 pages, I was totally fucking sucked into the universe. How far have you gotten into the book, Eric?

Now, I ask GAF's opinion of the sequels. Are any of them worth a read? I really want to keep reading about that universe, but I also don't want it ruined.

well forever peace won a hugo so my interest was kind of peaked, but i haven't had the time nor inclination to read it

I just ordered this last night




It's an encyclopedia about people who never existed and the bits i've read have been fascinating

http://www.vqronline.org/articles/2007/fall/bolano-nazi-literature-americas/

I tried to read Susan Jaboby's Age of American Unreason and found it to be shit awful.

SHIT AWFUL

apparently we're all dumb because of christians and tv.
 

Dagon

Member


Really interesting history of the development of civilizations as told through food production and language.



Next up is this. Seems an opportune time to read up on how we dealt with crazy times like these in the past.



Exam in a couple weeks. Hooray.
 

Mr. Hyde

Member
Read this month:

The Wind-up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami
The Giver by Lois Lowry
A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle
and just finished Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut

I am about to start on One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by ole Ken Kesey
 

kswiston

Member


About 100 pages in so far. This is my fifth Discworld novel. I read Small Gods, Hogfather, and Mort before deciding the read the entire series from the beginning. Finished the Colour of Magic, and am now on book 2. It will probably take me 5 years to finish all 30-something books :lol (I read other books in between).



Dagon said:


Really interesting history of the development of civilizations as told through food production and language.

Be sure to pick up Collapse after you finish that one. It's sort of a companion book to Guns, Germs, and Steel (GG&S focuses on why some civilizations prosper and Collapse shows why some civilizations ultimately fail).
 

Dagon

Member
kswiston said:
Be sure to pick up Collapse after you finish that one. It's sort of a companion book to Guns, Germs, and Steel (GG&S focuses on why some civilizations prosper and Collapse shows why some civilizations ultimately fail).

Thanks for the tip. I'm really enjoying Guns, Germs, and Steel so I'll definitely pick it up at some point.
 

Flo_Evans

Member
muttyeah416 said:
have you seen the documentary Helvetica? it's about the history of the font and how type affects how we live, pretty awesome. Michael Bierut is in it in addition to many industry giants i.e. Paula Scher, Neville Brody, David Carson, and my fuckin idol, Stefan Sagmeister. Yeah, I'm a design whore.

Yep. We had a movie day at the office and all watched it in the conference room on the projector :D Erik Spiekermann was my favorite in that movie.
 
I'm reading Jules Verne's The Mysterious Island, and I just finished Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett.

kswiston said:


About 100 pages in so far. This is my fifth Discworld novel. I read Small Gods, Hogfather, and Mort before deciding the read the entire series from the beginning. Finished the Colour of Magic, and am now on book 2. It will probably take me 5 years to finish all 30-something books :lol (I read other books in between).

The Discworld novels really jump in awesomeness at Guards Guards and The Wyrd Sisters (Which is even better if you've read Macbeth.)
 

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Iron_Scimitar said:

Picked it up yesterday.

I tried reading that when I was in like 5th grade and was way overwhelmed... let me know what you think of it as I've always wanted to jump back in at some point.
 

YYZ

Junior Member
Question, is the book Jumper worth reading? I'm just asking because the movie blew chunks in terms of storytelling (and almost everywhere else). They had no explanation for anything, no flow, just a mess. It's not the worst movie I've seen in a while, but it's definitely NOT worth watching.


For my sci-fi class, I'm reading a few stories of Tesseracts Ten, a compilation of new Canadian speculative fiction (bunch of sci-fi shorts).
 
Top Bottom