• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2010)

Mr. Hyde

C-Jo said:
Confession time: I'm 25 and this is the first novel I've read of my own accord since high school. I can't really explain why that happened, but I feel pretty embarrassed about it.

At any rate, I'm a big fan of Suda 51 and I've heard Flower, Sun & Rain compared to Murakami a few times. I ordered this book along with Kafka on the Shore and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle on a whim and I'm really enjoying what I've read so far.

Flower, Sun, and Rain has been compared to Murakami? I will finally have to play that.

What I've been reading this month:

24o8qky.jpg

2mw8kx.jpg

FnordChan said:
I'm trying to hold out and just read the preview chapters when the book arrives. However, I may succumb and read the three (and soon to be four) posted chapters before then. Either way, I'm stoked for Changes!

FnordChan

That's a nice idea, and perhaps a good model for our all-encompassing e-book future: ransomware. Otherwise, I'm not too good at patience in matters like this; I have to go to there right now.

ronito

Guileless said:
Re: The Name of the Wind-- I was just reading Penny Arcade's news post from yesterday and Gabe references it and links to its official site, which proclaims that

“The Name of the Wind marks the debut of a writer we would all do well to watch. Patrick Rothfuss has real talent, and his tale of Kvothe is deep and intricate and wondrous.”
-Terry Brooks, 22-time New York Times bestselling author
HAHAHAHA! That's fitting.

I really hate Terry Brooks too.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Tim the Wiz said:
Another part of the equation is whether or not you're in the mood for a fantasy bildungsroman. I know I'm tired of them at this stage. If that's a sticking-point, why not try Matthew Stover's Acts of Caine series, beginning with Heroes Die? It features a great anti-hero in a, well, complex situation that successfully blends fantasy and sci-fi concepts with underlying, certainly unconventional, themes of definite merit. And there's a lot of action. (Dan, back me up!)
More coming into the fold is always good. The future of the Acts of Caine series, after the next (fourth) installment, is a bit uncertain due to its limited audience - and despite its critical success - but Stover intends to have at least seven books in the series.
I will indeed back you up. The Caine novels are amazing and brilliant. Heroes Die is awesome enough that I've purchased several copies after giving previous ones away as 'loaners'. It might not mean too much, but the only other media object I've given out several times and repurchased was Grim Fandango. Given GAF's taste in general and in fantasy/sci-fi, I think people in these threads would really dig the Caine novels. It's not exactly a major investment, just go for it. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.

Blade of Tyshalle is finally available in eBook formats, too.

Stover's Star Wars novels are good too (you can dive into Shadowpoint and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor without any EU knowledge, and his Revenge of the Sith adaptation was way better than the film), and I'll likely buy the God of War adaptation he co-wrote despite my complete lack of interest in those games. Shit, Heroes Die alone, let alone the sequels, sold me on everything with his name on it. He also just completed a Magic the Gathering novel and supposedly is working on some crime fiction under a pseudonym. Hopefully his career works out well enough that he can afford to continue the Caine books, provided the publisher is willing.

Chorazin

FnordChan said:
I'm trying to hold out and just read the preview chapters when the book arrives. However, I may succumb and read the three (and soon to be four) posted chapters before then. Either way, I'm stoked for Changes!

FnordChan

I'm staying far, far away from the preview chapters. I don't want to know anything that happens or read word one of the book until it's in my hands. I'm certainly stoked for it!

eznark

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
They are both awesome. Player of Games is a better introduction to the Culture
The first half of Phlebas was awesome, no doubt about that. The second half pretty much turned me off the Banks entirely...at least for now.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Salazar said:
Tobias Wolff's 'In Pharaoh's Army'. The classic 20th C American soldier's memoir, at any rate.

I haven't read that, but I will put it on my list. Soldier memoirs written by professional writers are often worth reading. Despite soldier's memoirs of Vietnam being widely available, my reading on the subject is fairly limited, although in junior high I enjoyed Marine Sniper. I have read a lot more about the politics and policy formation of the period. They Marched into Sunlight by David Maraniss combines the soldier's eye view and the turbulent domestic politics of the era.

From the book of the week feature at the London Times: The Eerie Silence: Are We Alone in the Universe? by science writer Paul Davies. Just published in the UK, hopefully it will come over here. From the favorable review:

Davies wisely hedges his bets. If pressed, he would bet that “simple” life might be pervasive, but that SETI searches will fail — because advanced life, even if it exists, would be so different from us as to be unrecognisable. But his book conveys excellently the fascination of the quest.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
eznark said:
Was The Player of Games better than Phlebas?

I certainly thought that it was. It was paced and fleshed out a lot better.

suffah said:
Add me to the list of people who aren't exactly salivating at the next book by Rothfuss.

But I forgive GAF because I just finished this beautiful book:

image0012.jpg

Will start the 2nd book next month.

While Hyperion is genius, the rest of the series goes downhill. Imagine your own endings to those tales, and you'll be happier. I do highly suggest Illium and Olympos by Simmons.

eznark

Banned
Cyan said:
I used to read those Shannara books when I was a kid too. I think it's hilarious he made contemporary America the prequel.

Is that the series where at the end of one of the books the evil immortal dude was shut in a stone for all eternity. Unable to move or die...that always stuck with me as fucking awful!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
eznark said:
I used to read those Shannara books when I was a kid too. I think it's hilarious he made contemporary America the prequel.

To be fair, there were hints of this as far back as his original novel released in 1977. It's not like he completely retconned the idea into the series.

commissar

ElectricBlue187 said:
Please elucidate. I didn't think it was Banks' best work but how was it badly written?
One sentence paragraphs :|
I got the feeling Banks got famous and his editor stopped doing their job.

charsace

In celebration of the new Paksenarrion novel I am re-reading the old trilogy. The Deed of Paksenarrion is such a fantastic fantasy work. I read these 3 novels every year it seems like.

Llyranor

72e6225b9da0cc27d2c6d010.L.jpg

Just started this one up. Apparently pretty thorough and academic coverage of the Ardennes Offensive with plenty of tactical detail. The maps are really comprehensive (and great both qualitatively and quantitatively).

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
9781921372537.jpg

This had a great review in The National Interest a while back and I've cleared enough of my backlog to start reading it. Very informative thus far.

ibu

Currently reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

Currently on book 5: The Fires of Heaven.

Absolutely loving the series though I am taking my time with it as I am writing another play for a festival this summer.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just finished Ender's Game. Really liked it. Will probably read Ender's Shadow next.

Undeux

How's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? I've been hearing about it and am kind of interested. It's one of those books that's just been so popular that I guess I've kind of ignored it. :lol

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Undeux said:
How's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? I've been hearing about it and am kind of interested. It's one of those books that's just been so popular that I guess I've kind of ignored it. :lol

It's really pretty good. As popular crime fiction goes I think it's pretty fantastic. I read it last year and watched the movie last night and it reminded me how tightly plotted and dense the mystery is. It starts about one thing but ends entirely as another. Great stuff.

I finished reading the second book in the series last night as well, The Girl Who Played with Fire. It was very different from the first, about quite a different subject, but it was still very gripping and it had some really excellent fight scenes in it which was surprising. I was flinching and wincing on the bus like a right twat which is as good a sign as any that it was a great book.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Actually I'm probably gonna read something else before I move on to (and find a copy of) Ender's Shadow.

I've had this book sitting on my shelf for a while and I may start it tonight--anyone read it?

2q82gjb.jpg

Stealth

Undeux said:

I just finished it up three days ago and really enjoyed it, will definitely be reading the follow up ASAP, which I hear is the best of the three. For a 600 page book the story never really dragged. It took a while to build up its full head of steam, about 150 pages in or so, but after that I was coasting through it like I would a book from the Dresden Files or something equally gripping.

I think I remember reading some reactions here saying that Larsson maybe puts too much attention into the details in his writing, but I really found him to have a nice balance between fast pacing and good world-building. Keeping the characters rooted to only a small number of locations definitely helps that some, I suppose. But, really, in comparison to Tana French's detective books In The Woods and The Likeness, he's more like a Cussler than an Ayn Rand. :lol I'd actually recommend those as well, if you're really on a crime bend. But this series will probably be a lot easier to drop yourself into. (Ironically, both first books in the series deal with missing person cases and presumed murders of children. And both have their third book coming out this year... Strange coincidences.)

Anyhow, hope you try 'em out and enjoy!

eznark

Banned
Undeux said:
Honestly, I do this ALL the time. I don't really know why, guess I'm just an ass that way.

Salazar

'The Selected Letters of William Empson', edited by John Haffenden. One of the best things about it is Haffenden's introduction. God damned superb book.

'The Rhetorical World of Augustan Humanism' by Paul Fussell. Also very good, although anybody with a turn of phrase and an admiration for Samuel Johnson is likely to find my favour.

'Anonymity: The Secret History of English Literature', by John Mullan. Very good indeed, especially the stories about Blackwood being horsewhipped in his Edinburgh shop by writers offended at being sliced up by anonymous reviews in his magazines.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wrekt said:
gardensofthemoon.jpg

I've been trying to finish this for over a month. I was told to pick up the series while I wait for A Dance With Dragons but I've never had as much trouble following a book as I do with this one. It switches between characters so often that I simply stopped caring about the entire cast. I'm about 75 pages away from the end so I'll finish it but I can't see myself continuing the series.

I finished my second reading of the four A Song of Ice and Fire books a while back and decided to pick this up after hearing so many people compare it to Martin's work. I made it about 100 pages in before shelving it for now. The story just seems so bland and honestly immature compared to anything in ASoIAF. The book seriously reads like some kid's nerd fantasy RPG campaign. Although I was thoroughly confused due to lack of explanation, I still enjoyed the prologue and the first chapter that primarily dealt with Ganoes Paran. It was the second chapter that really made me decide that this series probably isn't for me.

The way magic was so poorly explained (I swear everything is ambiguously described as 'waves of sorcery') and how prominent it was just came of as extremely awkward to me. This particular passage had me almost drop the book as soon as I read it:

"She watched as a Kenryll'ah demon arose beneath Nightchill. Laughing shrilly, the towering gaunt creature tore Nightchill limb from limb. It had begun feeding by the time Bellurdan arrived. The Thelomen bellowed as the demon raked its knife-like talons against his chest. Ignoring the wounds and blood that sprayed from them, he closed his hands around the demon's head and crushed it."

Do people actually enjoy this kind of crap? The above passage occurred completely out of nowhere. At this point the reader still has no idea how magic works, the above Nightchill and Bellurdan characters were just introduced a few paragraphs ago, and this is the first mention that demons even exist in this universe. Honestly, it seems like stuff just happens randomly in this book as Erikson just makes shit up on the fly as if he was some improvising dungeon master of a D&D campaign. I finished the chapter, but if some of the Amazon.com reviews are to be believed, the rest of the book and a great deal of this series is very similar where shit just happens completely randomly and without explanation.

I don't hate Erikson's writing style, but it seemed like he was constantly using a thesaurus to throw in "big words" where they didn't necessarily belong. Maybe I'm just stupid, but I found myself re-reading a ton of his sentences just to understand what he was trying to convey. There were some excellently written passages in the parts that I read, but they were definitely in the minority. Anyway, I may give Erikson a try again some day, but I definitely didn't go away with a good impression and I have no idea how people compare him to Martin's writing.

Longing for some good fantasy, I then searched for some more recommendations and picked up Raymond E. Feist's "Magician: Apprentice" novel. I read the first couple of chapters and really enjoyed the writing although I could tell that this is a very run-of-the-mill fantasy universe. I was looking for something a little more "grounded" like GRRM's books, so I went back to some of the NeoGAF recommendation threads and decided on Joe Abercrombie's "The Blade Itself".

I'm really glad I did as I am really enjoying this book. I'm only about 60 pages in, but this is definitely what I was looking for. Excellent prose, ridden with humor, and very gritty without too many unbelievable and fantastic elements. I will definitely be finishing this book and picking up the rest of the trilogy. The writing is really excellent in this novel and I find it hard to believe that this is Abercrombie's debut work.

Salazar

Erikson does explain in greater detail how magic works in the following books, but never touches on comprehensiveness, and to desire a full knowledge of how magic works in a mysterious and fantastical world seems, to me, to miss the point a little. In any case, you're wrong (quite wrong) about everything being described as 'waves of sorcery', and the impression of randomness would probably decrease if you stuck at the book and the series with a more close and sympathetic attention. You don't want to, which is cool, but it means you'll remain dissatisfied and baffled. I think it's an excellent series, head and shoulders above Martin and Abercrombie, and I've no problems with his style.

Bad fantasy is Goodkind. Motherfucker never stops explaining how his bullshit magic system works and writes like a child.

Everyone should start the Malazan series with Deadhouse Gates and the next three or four novels that come after. Not only is it the best sequence in the series, it's one of the best sequences of novels in fantasy fiction ever.

But Joe Abercrombie is also fabulous, and is certainly a reliable port of call for Martin fans. Others - whose work is in similar style - to call on would be Scott Lynch and Paul Kearney. For something different in not-so-distant neighboring regions, try Glen Cook's Black Company series, China Mieville's Bas-Lag novels (of which, Perdido Street Station and The Scar stand out), Matthew Stover's Caine series (beginning with Heroes Die) or Guy Gavriel Kay's The Lions of Al-Rassan (likely, his best "gateway" novel).

Zefah said:
I will stick with Abercrombie for now and probably read the Magician books after that before I try to go back to Gardens of the Moon. I will definitely at least force myself to read up to the third book in the Malazan series.

Skip it. I couldn't get through fifty pages of Gardens of the Moon the first time I read it. Luckily, I dropped it and went to the next volume. Deadhouse Gates is like a revelation. It moves from the get-go with palpable tension and an immense driving force of a narrative and has a doozy of an ending to match. You really won't miss much and you can read through Gardens later.

Taking it beyond just this discussion, I think Gardens is your typical first novel. It meanders along in the wrong places and doesn't engage to the ability that it's exceptional premise and cast of characters promise. I also think, in that typical first novel way, Erikson was blind to some of its flaws. It still astounds me that he tried to market it is a film script for so long. In the Malazan series alone, I certainly wouldn't peg it at the top of the list in terms of cinematic narrative.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Salazar said:
Erikson does explain in greater detail how magic works in the following books, but never touches on comprehensiveness, and to desire a full knowledge of how magic works in a mysterious and fantastical world seems, to me, to miss the point a little. In any case, you're wrong (quite wrong) about everything being described as 'waves of sorcery', and the impression of randomness would probably decrease if you stuck at the book and the series with a more close and sympathetic attention. You don't want to, which is cool, but it means you'll remain dissatisfied and baffled. I think it's an excellent series, head and shoulders above Martin and Abercrombie, and I've no problems with his style.

Bad fantasy is Goodkind. Motherfucker never stops explaining how his bullshit magic system works and writes like a child.

Like I said, I will probably give Erikson a try again at some point since he is mentioned so often as one of the greatest fantasy authors, but the first 100 pages of Gardens of the Moon left an awful impression. I think the term "wave(s) of sorcery" was used at least five times in the pages I read to describe some devastating magic. I don't demand an explanation of exactly how magic works, but what the hell is a 'wave of sorcery"? Is it a big fireball? A lightning storm? What? The author really just leaves a lot of description out of his story. I barely had any idea what any of the characters even looked like because he didn't describe them at all.

And honestly, in terms of writing like a child, having a demon appear out of nowhere to tear a powerful sorceress limb from limb only to have its skull bashed in, again randomly, by some other powerful badass seems a bit childish to me. From what I hear at least, there is a whole ton of deus ex machina in every book of the Malazan series. Gods and demigods are commonplace and anyone with a POV is apparently an all-powerful badass, who even if they die, will most likely be brought back to life. If none of this is true then I apologize, but the first 100 pages definitely didn't contain anything to make me doubt such claims about Erikson's work.

I will stick with Abercrombie for now and probably read the Magician books after that before I try to go back to Gardens of the Moon. I will definitely at least force myself to read up to the third book in the Malazan series.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I finished Day of the Jackal over the weekend. Published in the 70s and set in 1963, it is charmingly anachronistic story about an assassination attempt on Charles de Gaulle. No computers, high tech gadgets, of 'stories ripped from today's headlines' anywhere. Highly recommended change of pace.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just made a start on Chuck Paluhniuk's Haunted, starting with 'Guts' and Jesus fuck, that has to be the most fucked up thing I've not only read, but also seen, heard, or conceived of. Wow. Never read any of his stuff before so I'm not sure if this is par for the course.

But still, owwww, I have sympathetic intestinal discomfort after reading that...

KingGondo

Banned
Jedeye Sniv said:
I just made a start on Chuck Paluhniuk's Haunted, starting with 'Guts' and Jesus fuck, that has to be the most fucked up thing I've not only read, but also seen, heard, or conceived of. Wow. Never read any of his stuff before so I'm not sure if this is par for the course.

But still, owwww, I have sympathetic intestinal discomfort after reading that...
It actually happens in real life, too. Pretty terrible.

I just finished:

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Good stuff, although not what I expected, especially how long the book went on after the "mystery" was solved. Gonna wait a bit before starting the rest of the trilogy. Looking forward to seeing the movie, whenever it comes to Oklahoma (hopefully soon).

Just started:

Duma Key by Stephen King. My first King book in at least 5 years, but this is off to a good start. I forgot how gifted he is at character construction and creating a mood. Although I suppose the fact that he had a very similar near-death experience to the protagonist gave him a ton of insight into the world of rehab and constant pain. Enjoying it so far.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
KingGondo said:
It actually happens in real life, too. Pretty terrible.

I just finished:

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Good stuff, although not what I expected, especially how long the book went on after the "mystery" was solved. Gonna wait a bit before starting the rest of the trilogy. Looking forward to seeing the movie, whenever it comes to Oklahoma (hopefully soon).

Just started:

Duma Key by Stephen King. My first King book in at least 5 years, but this is off to a good start. I forgot how gifted he is at character construction and creating a mood. Although I suppose the fact that he had a very similar near-death experience to the protagonist gave him a ton of insight into the world of rehab and constant pain. Enjoying it so far.

It happens in real life??? Argh wtf?! You can't see me but I'm doing some crazy spider dance with my legs at this news...

I agree with your thoughts on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo though, those last 100 pages were so boring after the awesome mystery was wrapped up. I much prefer how the film dealt with it, in a 2 min montage, although it skipped out all the irene nesser stuff, so you can't have everything. I actually just read the second book in the series last week and it was so fucking good. I doubt the final book can live up to it, but it was incredible, especially the last 200 pages, so gripping. The mid 200 pages are... odd though, and a bit of work. You'll find yourself wanting them to hurry up, although when they do you'll be holding your breath all the way to the last page.

jergrah

Just finished the following this past week:
Volume 1 TP for Chew [Awesome]
chew.jpg

Volume 1 Hardcover for Kick-Ass [More Awesome]
59_kick_ass_premiere_hc.jpg

Fluke - One of the few Moore books I had yet to read, another fantastic read
040729_fluke_vsml.widec.jpg

Picking up Moore's new book Bite Me today and going to his book signing on Thursday night
Bite-Me-large.jpg

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Skimmed through this topic but I am impressed by the breadth of tastes amongst GAFfers.

I've only just now started into this hobby and am taking it slow. I only really get to read during my commute to and from work/the gym as the internets, movies, and games take up my free time at home (as well as chores). Right now I am halfway through: (Yes these are all Amazon.com pics)

41T9TGV2JBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Which is excellent.

At home are:

512FCbmqUuL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51kfZ29lrGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

41rqJbjZsEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51bAmp-9KrL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I'm definitely going to order:

512O%2B2H0t7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And am highly considering a Lovecraft collection, but I'm not looking to bite off more than I could chew. I look forward to participating a lot more in these threads.

Top Bottom