• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November '08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
I finally finished reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons, and am moving onto the sequel, The Fall of Hyperion. Here is my review of the much-lauded science fiction monster.

Hyperion%20Front%20Book%20Cover.gif

This is a very convoluted tale, as Simmons throws the reader into the middle of an unknown world, with names of places, people, and government agencies being tossed around left and right. Essentially, seven travellers have been summoned by the human Hegemony to complete a pilgrimage to the Time Tombs on Hyperion, where an alien being called The Shrike has been sent back from the future for an unknown purpose. There is much more going on, but this is the basis of the narrative.

As the story unfolds, the reader is treated to six character histories, written in six distinct voices. The brilliance of Simmons is his ability to make these novellas-within-a-novel come together to form a thickly layered plot. However, the different writing styles are both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, they take you into the mind of each character, presenting extremely personal first-hand accounts of what has led each one to the pilgrimage. On the other hand, the variety can make a chapter switch fairly jarring. One moment you are reading journal entries, the next you are reading a detective story, and the next you are reading a tragic comedy. I found it difficult to read the book for long stretches because of this, but it did not lessen my overall enjoyment of the adventure.

As a standalone story, Hyperion is ultimately incomplete and requires you to pick up its sequel to complete the pilgrimage. The travellers only arrive at the Time Tombs at the very end of the novel, but the reader is given so much backstory, that they feel like they really know the people who are about to embark into the heart of the journey, and are therefore compelled to continue it. It is difficult to leave the story as is, and I suppose the ability of a writer to leave his or her audience hanging and clamoring for the completion of a story is a sign of truly great literature.

I do have one warning for those at all curious about this book: If you require spoon feeding in your stories, this is likely not for you. Simmons' weaving and winding narrative structures, as well as his dense prose, make this a book which is not for science fiction lightweights. If you are at all familiar with the genre, however, or feel like you are up for a bit of a challenge, Hyperion may be the book for you.

On a personal note, this book is far from being one of my favourites, for the reasons mentioned above, but there are moments which are so affecting, and lines of dialogue which are so inspiring or enlightening, that it is difficult to ignore. The book's main strength is its insights into human motivation and the personal relationships and struggles that define us all. 4/5.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I've been so bad at starting and actually finishing books lately. So preoccupied dealing with other shit. But I just started Catcher In the Rye (never read it) and once I'm done with that I'm gonna move on to Hunter S Thompson's "Hell's Angels".

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm borrowing a ton of comics from a friend.

Just finished:
Spider-Man: Blue
Hulk: Grey
Batman: Dark Victory
Batman: Haunted Knights

Next up:
Daredevil: Yellow
Batman: Hush Vol 1
Batman: Hush Vol 2
Superman for All Seasons
Catwoman: When in Rome

I've also got Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky lying around.

200px-GeorgeEliiot_SilasMarner.jpg

I plow through books, and since this one is rather short, I will probably be done with it by tomorrow. But, unlike video games, I only read one book at a time.

thatbox

Banned
3027372514_1532de5bd1.jpg

Finishing up Heller's Closing Time (which is about five times more awesome than I expected it to be) and getting very excited to start Neal Stephenson's Anathem.

2pt7aqh.jpg

Ive had it for like 3 or 4 years now and im just getting around to reading it :lol I had other stuff i wanted to read and get through, but so far, im really like this. Just finished the first book, havent started the second one yet....probably tonight.

Pretty good stuff right here

n56677.jpg

I love it so far. So much better than the movie so far. I still love the movie, but I have a feeling that after I finish this book I'll feel like the trilogy thus far has been wasted potential. Especially with the involvement of a guy like Damon as the lead.

Danielsan

16iytmx.jpg

I finished this yesterday. It was a really slow burn but it all payed off in the end. Some rather powerful stuff at the end.

7284z7.jpg

I will start on The Road today. I can't wait, I've heard nothing but great things.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
51qZ6fPi5rL._SS500_.jpg

Just finished up...
413axtdYrtL._SS500_.jpg

And I highly recommend it to everyone. Very important book imo.

btw, The Road is a fucking masterpiece. Enjoy that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom