• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2010)

Salazar

Yasser said:
despite having gone to dulwich college myself i didn't ever bother read anything by wodehouse until last week and feel like a fucking imbecile for not having jumped on the bandwagon sooner, despite being a slow reader i've almost finished the entire thing in under week.

You need Kyril Bonfiglioli's Mortdecai Trilogy. It's not possible to enjoy Wodehouse and not take extreme delight in Bonfiglioli.

Timber

All right, litratcha, here goes. Currently reading Dos Passos' middle part of the USA trilogy entitled 1919. Nearly finished with it, placed among the most unforgettable things ever written.

G-Bus

Banned
peakish said:
Finally decided on

Good Omens as my first dive into Gaiman (or Gaiman/Pratchett as it is)

:lol

Just picked this up as my first also. My Mom recommended me the series and gave me a few suggestions as to a good one to start with. She didn't mention this one in particular though. It was the only one Indigo had in stock so what the hell.

FnordChan

Cyan said:
The next book is set on Komarr a year after Diplomatic Immunity, and stars none other than champion responsibility-dodger Ivan Vorpatril! I already can't wait.

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Thanks for linking to the transcriptions of those first two chapters!

I recently finished reading Side Jobs and it was a nice way to check in with Harry Dresden while waiting for the next book to come out in April. I'd already read a fair number of the short stories previously, but it's nice to have 'em all together like this, and the stories I hadn't read were pretty solid. As for the post-Changes teaser, well, I guess the emphasis there is on "tease", but it's a nice bone for Jim Butcher to throw to his fans.

51gRxR6PEUL.jpg

I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through Retribution Falls and enjoying it quite a bit in a steampunk air pirates sort of way. I'd seen a lot of positive reviews that compare this to Firefly, and they're not far off - assuming most of the crew has Jayne's sense of morality. Well, upping the rouge factor certainly makes things a lot of fun, even if the bunch isn't as lovable as your average Joss Whedon cast. I'm digging it and am already pleased to know that there's more where this came from waiting in the wings when I'm done.

FnordChan

Yasser

Salazar said:
You need Kyril Bonfiglioli's Mortdecai Trilogy. It's not possible to enjoy Wodehouse and not take extreme delight in Bonfiglioli.
i've actually had that on my amazon wishlist for what must be well over a year now since it being recommended to me (by you i think?) after i finished a fortress besieged (probably also recommended by you?). frustratingly my backlog is pretty substantial at this point and i can't justify buying more books unless they're dirt cheap

Timber

Timber said:
All right, litratcha, here goes. Currently reading Dos Passos' middle part of the USA trilogy entitled 1919. Nearly finished with it, placed among the most unforgettable things ever written.
Don't remember writing the above; was obscenely drunk last night. Replace "ever written" with "I have ever read." Be reasonable, shithead.

KidDork

I'm not sure why, but I picked up THE GREAT HUNT by Robert Jordan again this week. All the things that irritated me about Jordan's writing are still there, but I'm still reading it. (Leave the braid ALONE, Egwene!)

Karakand

Timber said:
My early Cold War era copies (don't own a collected version, or even Big Money) have introductions that spend too much time attempting to rehabilitate the politics of the work. It rules.

MR WILSON'S WAR not really anti-establishment I swear.

Salazar

KidDork said:
I'm not sure why, but I picked up THE GREAT HUNT by Robert Jordan again this week. All the things that irritated me about Jordan's writing are still there, but I'm still reading it. (Leave the braid ALONE, Egwene!)

I am up to Winter's Heart in my reread. I have Towers of Midnight waiting on my desk. I have recently read Book 12, but I figured I'd go back and get a run-up for Tarmon Gaidon.

finowns

FnordChan said:
I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through Retribution Falls and enjoying it quite a bit in a steampunk air pirates sort of way.
FnordChan

Can I ask how you got your copy?

thetechkid said:
The Road is the stupidest book ever, about half way through it and ever page I hate it more.

Stop reading.!?

mike23

xpeVE.jpg

Finished up the second Sandman Slim novel: Kill the Dead. It was a good Zombie novel to be honest. Definitely looking forward to the next one in the series.

4502226725_b8977e1906.jpg

I'm 70% of the way through The Magicians and I'm not in like with it at the moment. The beginning was ok, but it shot through 5 years of magic school at super speed and that was the part I was looking to most. Then the author managed to make me hate almost every character in the span of about 10 pages and then hammered it in to where I am now and I expect it to continue.

Just wanted to add that no reading of Moby Dick is complete without this piece by D.H. Lawrence from his Studies in Classic American Literature.
Holy fuck that is an amazing find, thank you so much for the link. I saw one of Lawrence's quotes on the back cover, but did not know of the essay.

Dos Passos USA Trilogy
Had never even heard of this, going on the library list of things to read. :lol :D

I love reading. I'm so glad I'm able to find time to do so every day.

FnordChan

Regarding Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding:

finowns said:
Can I ask how you got your copy?

I went ahead and ordered the UK paperback edition from Amazon. If you search for Retribution Falls on Amazon it'll try to sell you on pre-ordering the US edition, which isn't due out until April 2011. Fortunately, Amazon has 1 copy of the UK edition left in stock for $13 or so, and if someone snatches it before you can there are third party sellers with prices starting at $8 plus shipping. Alternately, used copies of the UK trade paperback edition start at three bucks plus shipping.

FnordChan, now halfway through Retribution Falls and still enjoying it very much

Took a break from Ted Chiang's short stories and got started on another book of short stories on a recommendation of someone else:

Seems to be a collection of fantasy short stories that are really weird and whimsical. Reading them before bed reminds me of being a child and having fairy tales being read to me.

Protip: Seems like all of Lord Dunsany's stuff is available for free as an ebook on Amazon.

[edit]
Oh yeah, finished a short story (novella?) by Brandon Sanderson. I really liked the first Mistborn and wanted to give another story of his a try without having to commit to one of his massive books. Firstborn was the answer.

It's a great space-operaish story that feels much longer than it is. I finished it in two sittings, but it's definitely doable in one sitting. The story and twist was great, but I thought the ending was a cop-out and fell short. It was a very "tadaaaa! (silence)" moment.

Timber

Karakand said:
My early Cold War era copies (don't own a collected version, or even Big Money) have introductions that spend too much time attempting to rehabilitate the politics of the work. It rules.

MR WILSON'S WAR not really anti-establishment I swear.
The first chapter (Mac) in the 42th Parallel kinda prepared me for the worst, politics-wise. Like Dos Passos was trying to convince me that just about everyone during that time was pining for the international workers' revolution. But that's kinda faded into the background now. Really dig J Ward Morehouse as the embodiment of the form US politics took on during that era. Business-minded (businessminded), commanding respect and awe, a bit unctuous.

Hyunkel6

I finished "A Dangerous Fortune" by Ken Follett yesterday. I took me so long to get past the beginning, but the story really picks up near the middle. Overall, I liked it a lot.

I'm gonna start "The Paris Option" by Robert Ludlum this week.

Finished The Blind Assassin. Extremely well written book, but sometimes it was just a bit too sad for my tastes since literally nothing positive happens in the entire book. Had to have had the best twists ever for a work of fiction though considering the staggering number, though to get there the writer put in a lot of deliberate confusion which was kind of annoying.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
thetechkid said:
The Road is the stupidest book ever, about half way through it and ever page I hate it more.
I didn't really care for it a whole lot either.

Since I haven't read Alice's Adventure in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass I'm thinking of getting it.
Can someone tell me which version to look for.

FnordChan

DesertEater said:
Since I haven't read Alice's Adventure in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass I'm thinking of getting it. Can someone tell me which version to look for.

You want to make sure you get an edition that has the original illustrations by John Tenniel. A few minutes poking around on Amazon suggests that the Bantam Classics edition contains all the original illustrations and is a bargain at $4 new. I saw some of the comments mentioned that the Kindle edition is missing the illustrations and doesn't have proper formatting of the poetry, so you probably want to grab a print copy at the moment.

If you enjoy Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, I'd suggest you revisit them at some point in the future with Martin Gardner's wonderful annotated edition, which provides a ton of historical detail, period references, and even some explanations of some of the more esoteric gags. I wouldn't recommend starting with this edition for your first reading, but if you're intrigued and would like to know, there you go.

FnordChan in NeoGAF Land

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I just took out The Name of the Wind from my local library and God, how can one cover be awesome and the other be so horrible?

mw7se.jpg

vs.

MPfNw.jpg

I got the second one btw, the librarian gave me a look smh

FnordChan said:
You want to make sure you get an edition that has the original illustrations by John Tenniel. A few minutes poking around on Amazon suggests that the Bantam Classics edition contains all the original illustrations and is a bargain at $4 new. I saw some of the comments mentioned that the Kindle edition is missing the illustrations and doesn't have proper formatting of the poetry, so you probably want to grab a print copy at the moment.

If you enjoy Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, I'd suggest you revisit them at some point in the future with Martin Gardner's wonderful annotated edition, which provides a ton of historical detail, period references, and even some explanations of some of the more esoteric gags. I wouldn't recommend starting with this edition for your first reading, but if you're intrigued and would like to know, there you go.

FnordChan in NeoGAF Land
Thanks a lot :)

Stayed up late last night (this morning?) waiting for this to get updated on the Kindle store. Finished the Jim Butcher short story in it so far. It was my first Dresden story. Not sure if I liked it or not. It was entertaining, but didn't really catch me.

KidDork

Salazar said:
I am up to Winter's Heart in my reread. I have Towers of Midnight waiting on my desk. I have recently read Book 12, but I figured I'd go back and get a run-up for Tarmon Gaidon.

I stalled out last time halfway through The Dragon Reborn, so my plan is to get through them all over the course of the winter. I like to have a long fantasy series to get me through the bleakness and slush of a Canadian winter.

thetechkid said:

cormac mccarthy is a dumb sentimental hick too good for quotation marks.

i'm reading "drood" by dan simmons. gud.

finowns

nakedsushi said:
Stayed up late last night (this morning?) waiting for this to get updated on the Kindle store. Finished the Jim Butcher short story in it so far. It was my first Dresden story. Not sure if I liked it or not. It was entertaining, but didn't really catch me.

His Dresden short stories are kind of weak.

Narag

finowns said:
His Dresden short stories are kind of weak.

I was afraid of that. Been reading through an urban fiction anthology called Strange Brew that I picked up due to a Dresden story and was sorely disappointed.

Freyjadour said:
Reading...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/076531004X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

on my brand new Kindle 3!

I wouldn't mind starting a Malazan OT. Maybe when I get more free time.

Part of the best sequence (Deadhouse Gates-Memories of Ice-House of Chains-Midnight Tides) in the series and its major focus, Karsa Orlong, makes for a fantastic change of pace. Enjoy. As for a Malazan OT, you still have time 'till The Crippled God comes out next Feb.

Tim the Wiz said:
Part of the best sequence (Deadhouse Gates-Memories of Ice-House of Chains-Midnight Tides) in the series and its major focus, Karsa Orlong, makes for a fantastic change of pace. Enjoy. As for a Malazan OT, you still have time 'till The Crippled God comes out next Feb.

Yeah, that's why I held off. I wanted to be done by then, but I was sidetracked by a reread this summer.

BlueTsunami said:
You should! I wouldn't mind starting up the series after I finish my current read.

If there's interest I'll try, but I'm sure there are others who are probably just waiting for The Crippled God whereas I'm just finishing up House of Chains. I'll happily participate either way!

KidDork

Finished up Michael Connolly's The Poet. Unexpectedly clever. The book was published in 1996, and the lines about how it takes four minutes to download a photo from the Internet to your computer make me smile, for some reason.

Have moved onto this now:

warded-man-peter-v-brett-book-cover-art.jpg

I like how so far Brett isn't falling into the first time author trap of piling action scene upon action scene to keep the reader interested, or at least distracted. He reminds me of Rothfuss in that way. Everyone seems pleasantly cynical and intelligent, which I like. His variation on the medieval fantasy world is also interesting. So far, so good.

thetechkid

finowns said:
Stop reading.!?
Gotta do a research paper on it...
demon said:
I didn't really care for it a whole lot either.
Agree.
milkyjay20 said:
cormac mccarthy is a dumb sentimental hick too good for quotation marks.
Somehow my teacher finds it to be the best book in the last decade, and who the fuck uses quotation marks now days? Those are so 15tth century.
canocha said:
I feel bad for you, also the subtitle should be "A work so terrible you'll want to burn the book after you discover its a fucking retarded."

Alucrid

Banned
I'm thinking about getting my dad some books for his kindle for Christmas. What would you recommend if he's read a lot of Tom Clancy and other books like that? Mainly newer stuff that he probably doesn't have.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Damn, "Name of the Wind" starts out amazing. Only 200 pages in and there's been a good amount of affective moments. The telling of the legend that is Kvothe and world building is also very interesting. I don't think I've enjoyed such a book for a while now, Kvothe is such an endearing character and I think thats whats connecting with me.

ymmv

Banned
Timber said:

I read one book by Dos Passos more than 25 years ago, I remember liking it a lot (then again I also liked John Brunner's Stand On Zanzibar which was directly inspired by Dos Passos most famous novels) but I can't remember what the book was... I've got to read more of him. I'd love reading more about the US during the jazz age and the depression. Such a fascinating period. I've become a fan of movies from that period, so I want to read some of the best novels published during that time frame too.

Any suggestions (beside The Great Gatsby of course)?

Just ordered Novels 1920-25 and the USA Trilogy btw.

Mifune said:
LOL at calling Cormac McCarthy a dumb sentimental hick.

Dude hangs out with rocket scientists. Real ones!
No he's really dumb because his books are turned into popular movies. Didn't you know that?

Top Bottom