• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHAT ARE YOU READING? NOVEMBER

Eric P

n220470.jpg

world-without-us.jpg

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I've got a bunch of ol' classics here right now, but I can't seem to get my reada on.

The books lying on besides my bed;

The old man and the sea
Mice and men
Natives of Hemsö

And a book by Paul Auster.

* yaaawn *

Prospero

I just bought The World Without Us, actually.

Still working on:

51hYs9qXXnL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

I have about 150 pages left--I'll probably finish it Saturday. Next is:

41ED4TBD8XL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Never read any Paul Auster, but this was recommended to me. It's hard to go wrong with a talking dog, I figure.

Gattsu25

Banned
6gwmvmb.jpg

6cg1yit.jpg

Hopefully will be starting this by the end of the month:
61o7hwg.jpg

but work, games, friends, nanowrimo, and other books are all competing for my time

Eric P

Gattsu25 said:

i really loved that book in highschool. now, the ellison persona kind of rubs me wrong.

still a hell of a writer though.

i recomended Phoenix to a friend who lost her dog because ellison's essay he put in that story helped me when we had to put down my cocker.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Prospero said:
41ED4TBD8XL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Never read any Paul Auster, but this was recommended to me. It's hard to go wrong with a talking dog, I figure.

i looooove paul auster. i think the last book of his that i read was oracle night.. which was great.

you should track down his new york trilogy. i believe they sell them together as one novel. the first book in the trilogy (city of glass) was made into a graphic novel.. if you wat to check that out.

anyway. im reading:

41si3d3Ud9L._SS500_.jpg

just a random pickup, but it sounds really interesting, and its the authors first novel... so im looking forward to it.

ItsInMyVeins said:
The one about a bookstore dude in Brooklyn.

do you mean the writer?

oracle night?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
quadriplegicjon said:
do you mean the writer?

oracle night?

Nah, there one more dude who's a older dude too. The old one is gonna write a book about the crazy stuff he sees/hears though.

FnordChan

Still working on Forsyth's The Fourth Protocol.

fourthprotocolcovbig.jpeg

Next up: the first Repairman Jack novel, F. Paul Wilson's The Tomb.

n1435.jpg

FnordChan

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
The-Subtle-Knife.gif

Very much enjoying this series. Too bad the first movie already looks like shit :(

cuckoosnest.gif

Love the movie, now trying the book.

13512869.JPG

Saw this at the library :lol

Actually pretty funny.

Nemesis_

About to start this - has anyone heard anything good about it?

glamorama.jpg

I'm a massive fan of Ellis's other work, and this is his only novel I haven't read.

Prospero

Nemesis556 said:
About to start [Glamorama] - has anyone heard anything good about it?

I liked it--not quite as much as American Psycho, but I liked it. It's kind of loosely structured, but that's okay.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm going to start this one:

book-thief.jpg

My English teacher said that it was "THE BEST BOOK SHE'D EVER READ!"
She said it with such passion, so I figure I'd give it a try.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I DON'T KNOW WHAT IM READING!!!!

Honest to shit, Im reading David Mill's "Atheist Universe". So far so good. Anyone who's an atheist, agnostic, freethinker, or some sort of religious dude should give it a shot.

Prospero

413Tgt8LPSL._SS500_.jpg

I finished reading this three days before Norman Mailer died. It's an edited transcript of a series of interviews detailing his thoughts on religion, which are pretty idiosyncratic. I found it interesting, mostly because it sheds a lot of insight on his final novel, The Castle in the Forest. That said, it's probably for Mailer fans only.

Mailer had a strong distaste for organized religion, and didn't think much of atheism either. He did believe in reincarnation, though, raising the faint possibility that I'll still get the promised sequel to Harlot's Ghost.

Right now I'm reading this:

41w1T5WluoL._SS500_.jpg

A good history-of-science book about attempts of twentieth-century physicists to consider the legitimate possibility of time travel. I'm enjoying reading it, but I feel a little hampered sometimes by not quite getting the explanations of quantum mechanics (though that seems like one of those subjects that humans aren't destined to intuitively "get"). It's really well written for this kind of book, though--it's comparable to books by Tracy Kidder in its style. If you don't mind a bit of struggle with the occasional counterintuitive concept (or if quantum mechanics is old hat to you), it's recommended.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Just finished Guilty Pleasures, the first Anita Blake story. Pure shit, distilled into book form.

Going to read something by McCarthy next, I'm thinking. Maybe some older Nabokov.

Baker

Banned
I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma for my Environmental Ethics class (my last class ever in my 10 year college career).

I'm also still plowing through Battle Royale at nights.

Nander

Takosuke said:

I'm reading this one aswell, and it's horrible. 250 pages of nothing but preaching. If it wasn't for Hornby's witty and fairly funny dialogue I would have stopped reading a long time ago.

pollo

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
About to start this - has anyone heard anything good about it?

glamorama.jpg

I'm a massive fan of Ellis's other work, and this is his only novel I haven't read.

I picked that up when some chick left it behind where I work (I used to work at IT)

I read it for about 2 hous (~200 or so pages) and then put it down.

I couldn't understand why Id read something like that. It talks about some annorexic guy chilling around NYC with socialites. It's stupid.

I could see the appeal if you're into that scene, though.

thomaser

Right now:

51FSGN8AF6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Vineland by Thomas Pynchon

51G6MD4MT5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

In Green's Jungles by Gene Wolfe

The last few books I read through were On Blue's Waters (the prequel to In Green's Jungles) by Gene Wolfe, Rameau's Nephew by Diderot and Auto-da-fé by Elias Canetti. The latter is one of the best books I've ever read. Totally surreal and funny story about a bunch of stubborn, greedy and selfish people who constantly misunderstand one another, leading to all kinds of hysterical situations.

Uncle

I just finished House of Chains by Steven Erikson. I have the next book in the series as well, but I think I'll take a break from the series, because
it really got on my nerves that the dude can't kill any of his characters, so that they would actually stay dead. It's getting a bit ridiculous now.

Next up will be either The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker or Making Money by Terry Pratchett.

way more

zombie.gif

It's very funny so far. The author rags on Bush and blames him for the US's unpreparedness but never says his name directly. And the forward thinking of the Israeli government in combating the zombie plague is funny considering it's written by Mel Brooks son.

51AYBNHJJWL._SS500_.jpg

51if5NIOCHL._SS500_.jpg

Next is so hard to get through >_<

i-am-legend.jpg

I cannot believe the book was written in 1954. I'm making sure I'm checking it out before the films released.

deadbeef

How about some summaries of these books to go along with the cover shot? Can't judge a book by its cover, and all that, you know?

Top Bottom