• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? OCTOBER EDITION

Eric P

Bungaloo0O said:
Destined_to_Witness_book_cover.jpg

Riveting stuff

that DOES sound awesome

Dali

0345404475.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Damn this book is good. I would have finished it in about three hours while at the library, but they closed and I had some books overdue already. Next time I go back I'll knock out the last few chapters.

etiolate

Banned
Read, reading or reread as of recently:

Daisy Miller - Henry James
Harry Potter and The Sorcerer Stone (first time reading the actual book)
Age of Innocence
Beloved - Toni Morrison
The Giver - Lowis Lowry
Bridge to Terebithia
House on Mango Street - Cisneros

Prospero

51hYs9qXXnL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

This big bohonkin' novel came out around the same time last year as Pynchon's Against the Day and Norman Mailer's The Castle in the Forest, so I'm only getting around to it now. But my God it's a beautiful novel so far, the kind of book that makes going to work an inconvenience because it keeps you away from it. It's hard to describe, and it's pretty unique, but the closest I can get is to say that it's a little bit of Pynchon, a little bit of Raymond Chandler, a little bit of Salman Rushdie, and some other stuff that's out of nowhere (as strange as that sounds). If that sounds like it's up your alley, you should definitely pick this up. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

And I have this on order from Amazon, a sort of history of secularism in the 19th and 20th centuries:

51YtoMWlyjL._SS500_.jpg

--but I'm having trouble getting a copy, even though I pre-ordered it. It looks demanding, though, and after Vikram Chandra's book I may not want to tackle another behemoth. So I might read Spook Country in between--it's on my stack.

SyNapSe

I read this recently, and I'm not even sure how I feel about it. At times, I felt a bit bored and I'd skip a half paragraph but at the same time once I made it half way through I couldn't put it down. It felt weird.

41W862T6SFL._SS500_.jpg

Having recently finished Cell (Stephen King), I'm undecided about what to read. I feel like I'm due for a fantasy, but can't decide between Song of Ice and Fire, The LiveShip Traders, or the Earthsea Trilogy (of which I have the first two, all of, and the first books respectively). Outside of those, I'm reading Guns, Germs, and Steel (Jared Diamond) sporadically, and a little philosophy "basics" novel, Think (Simon Blackburn) to while the time away at school when I have a break.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
bad monkeys
9780061240416.jpg

not often i read a book and think "this would make a great game. movie, sometimes, sure, but game. id like to see kojima do this with a dash of suda51.

and here's a write up what else i've read recently if anyone likes reading ramblings
http://www.thatsplenty.com/2007/08/short_thoughts_on_books_ive_re.html

includes
raw shark texts
soon i will be invincible
then we came to the end
god jr
longitude
the keep
special topics in calamity physics
against the day
and various books by david mitchell

the_id

rafman400 said:
http://www.users.qwest.net/~reflections/Holy%20Quran.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm up to Juz 11, surah yunus. i'm slow and i don't think i can finish it this ramadhan...

Kurashima said:
Having recently finished Cell (Stephen King), I'm undecided about what to read. I feel like I'm due for a fantasy, but can't decide between Song of Ice and Fire, The LiveShip Traders, or the Earthsea Trilogy (of which I have the first two, all of, and the first books respectively). Outside of those, I'm reading Guns, Germs, and Steel (Jared Diamond) sporadically, and a little philosophy "basics" novel, Think (Simon Blackburn) to while the time away at school when I have a break.
what did you think of Cell?

Tim-E

2wmjdbl.jpg

I was reading this, but a few days ago I was walking through the bookstore and I saw something that made me decide to put it aside for now.

51w%2B0RlecZL._SS500_.jpg

:D

Darias

Wyrms: Orson Scott Card.

It's a book I've read before, when I was younger, but I am reading a bit more into the symbolism and social commentary that is interspersed throughout his works, and am finding it interesting.

FnordChan

I'm late to the party, but I'm thoroughly enjoying Pattern Recognition and hope to check out Spook Country in the not too distant future.

xir, glad to hear Bad Monkeys is awesome; I'm a big fan of Sewer, Gas, Electric but haven't gotten around to reading anythign else by Ruff.

FnordChan

Holtz

SwordSongcatalogue_lg.jpg

The previous books in the series were so great i couldn't wait for the US release, so i imported it from the UK. Great stuff so far. :D

Holy Moly, you guys are reading some great stuff.

People of Paper!!!! I haven't met anyone else who has read it before. I LOVED it. It felt like a very personal experience with the author and the world and myself. I was blown away.

I just finished a big Le Carre kick and the second book in the Ender's series. Should I bother picking up the third?

Catch 22 is my favorite book, and the Road was incredible.

You guys are seriously awesome. After this thread and your previous recomendation of the Song of Fire and Ice series I'm convinced you can do no wrong. Neogaf FTW.

edit - Oh yeah, I'm currently reading Atlas Shrugged and looking for a new book to read. I'll probably pick one from this thread.

KingGondo

Banned
jon bones said:
I think October may be the month I finally dive in:

0553381687.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Almost finished with it, and loving it so far. It has great characters, an engaging style, and Martin has a fantastic imagination. The last sci-fi/fantasy novel I gave a chance was Dune, and I kinda hated it. A Game of Thrones is just SO much better-written. Already bought A Clash of Kings, and will be reading that next.

Skimming these, I've read them all before:

Virtue of Selfishness - Ayn Rand
Philosophy: Who Needs It - Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Nicomachean Ethics - Aristotle

Beginning:

Being Logical - D. Q. Mcinerny

firex

Today I read Stephen Colbert's Tek Jansen #1 (the comic book) and this coming week I should get his book, since I preordered it off amazon for that nice hefty discount.

Doytch

41FSD5HXYWL._SS500_.jpg
41D90H8FBXL._SS500_.jpg

51KFSXKHXTL._SS500_.jpg
51JDV6sUzSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Yay =\ Anyone got any recommendations for something shortish that I could read strictly on the train? My favourite authors are George Orwell, Douglas Adams, William Gibson and Neal Stephensen.

Catch 22 is my favorite book, and the Road was incredible.

Finally read this in the summer. Such an awesome book. For the first few chapters I kept laughing and wasn't sure if I was supposed to. It's exactly my kind of humour. :D

kottila

captainbiotch said:
Skimming these, I've read them all before:

Virtue of Selfishness - Ayn Rand
Philosophy: Who Needs It - Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Nicomachean Ethics - Aristotle

Beginning:

Being Logical - D. Q. Mcinerny

I'm sure there is a joke somewhere connecting the title of the last book and the Objectivism books, but it's almost to easy :)

kottila

Am I the only one that heard about the Road on Oprah? I happened to catch the episode on Norwegian tv, heard something about post apocalypticism and ordered it straight away. For some reason I always have had a weak spot for tales of masssive destruction.

kottila said:
For some reason I always have had a weak spot for tales of masssive destruction.

It's because if written properly, post-apocalypticism makes for very compelling, thought-provoking, and tragic storytelling. Often the story only focuses on a few people, which plays up character development.

Colonel Mustard said:
lol...fundie mormons.
utboh.jpg

Makes me sad that some people believe in this crap. =/

That's an awesome book.

A weird feeling you get from it is that the main LDS church is a bunch of sell-outs . . . the wacky still-existing polygamists are the real mormons. But all that means is that they are the most delusional.

And speaking of which . . . I'm reading . . . The God Delusion.

Just finished:
71H3J24YQAL._SS500_.gif

And to think, before this book I had never heard of donkey basketball. It was good, but Empire Falls was better.

Rereading: (highly recommend)
woodward%20brethren-198x305.jpg

npm0925

Cosmic Bus said:
Definitely one of the best pieces of standalone fantasy ever written. The sequels are also worth checking out. I have no time to read anything at the moment but plan on reading Spook Country by William Gibson and the Book of the Short Sun by Gene Wolfe.

Duality

Tim-E said:
2wmjdbl.jpg

I was reading this, but a few days ago I was walking through the bookstore and I saw something that made me decide to put it aside for now.

51w%2B0RlecZL._SS500_.jpg

:D
Colbert's book is pretty much brilliant from cover-to-cover. Great art as well.

grenadeguru said:
Good choice. One of my favorite books.

I'm on the home stretch and it's just intense and dreamlike. This is only the second novel from him that I've read (Norwegian Wood being the first), and already he's become my favourite fiction author. I have Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but that's after this.

i Just finished 1984, good fuckng book.

I am setting up to read "Woman on the edge of Time" by Marge Piercey.

(It is for a sci fi lit class I am taking)

Top Bottom