• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 09)

Bii

I'm going to have to get my hands on The Game of Thrones. Sounds like an interesting read. Besides, I need some new reading material at work since I finished What I Talk About When I Talking About Running by Haruki Murakami and A Bend in the Road by Nicholas Sparks. The former was an easy and pleasant read. The latter was a bit ho-hum. Everything in the book was predictable and I didn't care much for the characters.

finowns

51wDconksuL._SS500_.jpg

Non-Fiction. Quick read and very fascinating.

Alucard

Banned
Cyan said:
I think that like me, most people assume those posts wouldn't even be read.

In a thread about books, I find that a little discouraging. I mean, is posting a book cover some kind of depiction of status and alleged taste, and nothing more?

way more

Caspel said:
13696337.JPG

Michael Chabon's - "The Yiddish Policemen's Union"
- Retail Price: $28; Price I paid: $6.98

A great pick up. Of course it's not as breath takingly epic as Cavlier and Klay bu it is much more fun and enjoyable. The inspired setting of a fictional Israel set in Alaska is so much fun and on top there is a classic detective story. The grizzled Det. investigates all walks of life from smack addicts to presidential advisers. I especially dug it because the secondary character was half native half jew. Something I identify with but find rare in literary characters.

On the topic of The Road I read it simply and without allegory. It's about what any father fears. That he is leaving his child to a world worse than his own. The settings were haunting and the encounters visceral but I preferred not to look for symbolism. Scenes like the semi-trailer they camp in on a desolate highway over a deep ravine seemed to require no further dimensions to be savory and enjoyable literature.

As for the ending, the book is so grim and bleak that almost anything other than the inevitable death/murder/rape of the two travelers would reek of dues ex machina. But McCarthy does find a logical conclusion. Logical is also how I would characterize the book. The only other book I've read of his is No Country for Old Men which also struck me as being hyper-logical. In both McCarthy was adroit at showing what smart and thoughtful men would do under the most extreme situations.

Also to Night_Trekker, it's clear you love the book so I'm sorry for getting on your ass in the thread about the movie. I'm just pretty sure you will not like it and maybe it would be better to catch it on cable so and watch out of curiosity.

Finally, I like the idea of commenting on book choices more. I'll be sure to do it.

Fritz

Just got Faulkner's The Unvanquished
unvanquished.JPG

I read his big woods anthology and loved it, though its a challenging read. This is apparently his most accessible work. I guess some of you guys read this back in school.

Futureman

41tDtNSvWIL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Awesome. If you like movies, READ this. Especially if you are a Lumet fan (well you're probably aware of this book if you are a fan). People also recommend the book for basic project management ideas, so don't be scared away if you aren't into film or making movies.

X26

Banned
Recently finished Choke and Rant, my 2nd and 3rd Palahniuk books respectively

After reading the garbage that was Snuff, I figured the next book of his I read had to better and choke was...but just barely. Overall, just really stupid and a lame read overall. Rant I was really enjoying, and then the last third was just so ridiculously stupid and incoherent that by the time I finished I didn't think much of it.

Overall, after three books I don't see the appeal of chuck. I can't help but think of people who claim he's so great to be the adult equivalent of kids who think certain cartoons are the best because they have blood or partial nudity (beyblades!). Also, all 3 books have been incredibly similar and it's as if the same characters are just renamed and reused, and they all feel like he's trying way too hard to make things seem dark/edgy/etc.

Anyways now that I've got my backlog cleared up, it's back to some actual quality reading (A Storm of Swords & The Girl Who Played with Fire).

Recently finished Choke and Rant, my 2nd and 3rd Palahniuk books respectively

I dunno, I always figured Invisible Monsters and Stranger than Fiction to be his best, Survivor as well. Rant and Choke are all right, haven't read Snuff.

Binabik15

Walter-Moers-Die-Stadt-der-traeumenden-Buecher.jpg

I love Walter Moers.

I´m thinking about re-reading the Painted Man again, even though I re-read it a month ago :lol When is The Desert Spear coming out?

OR The Wise Man´s Fear?

I need my quality fantasy, damnit!

The First Law books are quite good, btw, I read them over the last months. The German covers suck ass though :lol

So now I´m wondering about what to buy, maybe the second and third book of the Night Angel series. First one was okay.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
mujun said:
You don't think it just degenerated into overcomplicated, silly pap by about the 7th or 8th book?

I've read the first eight books twice and wish I had never bothered.

really? that's too bad.. even tho the last few books dropped in quality compared to the first 7 or so I still really enjoy the world and characters and RJ's (RIP) writing style.

Alucard

Banned
I have finished Arthur C. Clarke's short story collection, The Wind from the Sun. Here is my mini-review.

838905144_1b15104548.jpg

The Wind from the Sun by Arthur C. Clarke

Arthur C. Clarke is a legend in the field of science fiction, and this short story collection competently shows off his narrative talents. Clarke's strengths are ideas and novel visions of the future, with his storytelling being a vehicle for these imaginings. In The Wind from the Sun, he usually succeeds at building tension, and then releasing it in a twist of perception, which is usually saved until the very last sentence of a story. This clever formula works for Clarke, as he plays with altering history, and seeing the potential consequences of the mindsets that permeated throughout the fifties, sixties, and seventies. While he often depicts a worst case scenario, the stories work in tickling the reader's social conscience and preconceptions towards progress.

In this book, Clarke tackles nuclear war, the colonization of planets (I would have liked more of this), new discoveries that make gravity a moot hindrance to humanity, and he has some fun with an intergalactic solar race. I found the namesake of the book to be the most entertaining tale of the bunch, with some of these tales feeling like afterthoughts or quick ideas. I suppose that is the challenge of writing a truly riveting and memorable short story; to take that quick idea and make is seem pertinent and thrilling, while condensing it to an easily digestible format. In this regard, the collection is hit-or-miss, but is always intriguing for its ideas.

One of the book's highlights is a little diatribe that Clarke puts together about a short story he wrote, in which he incorrectly cited H.G. Wells as the author of a particular short story. It comes in the middle of the collection, and is a nice breather from the fiction. It's always pleasant to hear the writer's voice outside of his or her creations.

The Wind from the Sun comes from an era of science fiction where the moon landing opened up the imaginations of people all over the world. At best, Clarke tries to extrapolate from this point of hope, and provides tales of caution, as well as tales of exhilaration and progress that have still not come to pass, if ever they will. The writing is sometimes a little dry, but the collection is still a satisfying read for science fiction fans, if only as a snapshot of the excitement and possibilities that permeated the minds of the genre's writers around the time of its creation. 3/5.

Now it's on to The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly.

I've just finished China Mieville's Perdido Street Station and I'm feeling a mixture of awe and incredulity.

Awe at the living, breathing world that resides within, the incredibly constructed science and magic systems, the truly bizarre and familiar beings that populate its pages, and the unwavering depiction of a society gone awry. What struck me the most about this introduction to the world of Bas-Lag is how wonderfully alien and unforgettable it is. I haven't left a fantasy novel feeling that way, about an imagined world, in something like years. As to the incredulity? It derives from wondering how I could have passed over this author for so many years. (for some reason, I always assumed this novel would be a desperately pessimistic and angst-driven minimalistic tale set amidst a claustrophobic urban sprawl)

At first, I will admit, there was some frustration at the scope of the ultimate plot direction. I thought it might have been a missed opportunity, stifling the potential of the extraordinary world and characters Mieville had introduced to serve such a plot. However, it was one of those endings that grew in satisfaction with more distance, although the quality was never in doubt.

Also, there are quite a few fantastic moments in this novel, but my favourite would have to be when the militia turn
a blockade of the docks in protest of low wages for the lower classes and xenian species that work in the district into a "riot" that "needed to be stamped out", and the easy acceptance of this by society at large.
The impact of the dire, politically corrupt implications of that act are, well, close to unmatched in the genre.

Okay, I'll stop blathering on about it now.

Binabik15 said:
When is The Desert Spear coming out?

OR The Wise Man´s Fear?

2010, I'm afraid, as with a whole chunk of upcoming big releases. The last big fantasy release of 2009 would probably be the final novel in the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. Oh yeah, and that Wheel of Time thing. Personally, I'll look to wait for all three volumes to come out before delving into the finale of the series.

mujun

Tim the Wiz said:
I've just finished China Mieville's Perdido Street Station and I'm feeling a mixture of awe and incredulity.

Awe at the living, breathing world that resides within, the incredibly constructed science and magic systems, the truly bizarre and familiar beings that populate its pages, and the unwavering depiction of a society gone awry. What struck me the most about this introduction to the world of Bas-Lag is how wonderfully alien and unforgettable it is. I haven't left a fantasy novel feeling that way, about an imagined world, in something like years. As to the incredulity? It derives from wondering how I could have passed over this author for so many years. (for some reason, I always assumed this novel would be a desperately pessimistic and angst-driven minimalistic tale set amidst a claustrophobic urban sprawl)

At first, I will admit, there was some frustration at the scope of the ultimate plot direction. I thought it might have been a missed opportunity, stifling the potential of the extraordinary world and characters Mieville had introduced to serve such a plot. However, it was one of those endings that grew in satisfaction with more distance, although the quality was never in doubt.

Also, there are quite a few fantastic moments in this novel, but my favourite would have to be when the militia turn
a blockade of the docks in protest of low wages for the lower classes and xenian species that work in the district into a "riot" that "needed to be stamped out", and the easy acceptance of this by society at large.
The impact of the dire, politically corrupt implications of that act are, well, close to unmatched in the genre.

Okay, I'll stop blathering on about it now.

2010, I'm afraid, as with a whole chunk of upcoming big releases. The last big fantasy release of 2009 would probably be the final novel in the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. Oh yeah, and that Wheel of Time thing. Personally, I'll look to wait for all three volumes to come out before delving into the finale of the series.

After reading Altered Carbon for the 2nd time I'm now moving on to Perdido Street.

c373d250fca0503eef976010.L.jpg

Meet Candidia Maria Smith-Foster, the most compelling female protagonist in modern science fiction since Friday Jones and Podkayne Fries (both Heinlein characters). Candy's unique outlook on life shines through in her journal which chronicles the aftermath of a bionuclear war, a war which has eliminated 99.4 percent of the people on Earth. The remaining .6 percent -- well, let's just say that they have very unique abilities. Candy is one of these, and as she sets off from her hometown in search of other survivors, the meaning of the book's title becomes clear -- Emergence, the emergence of a new species, a new society, and a new world.

Full of engaging characters, compelling scenes and a love-to-hate antagonist, this book rates in my top ten list, any day of the week.

Just started this one last night and am already halfway finished with it. Very good book.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
yearoflivingbiblically.jpg

Almost done.

Quick and funny read. I am an agnostic and it was really nice to read an agnostic's view on the Bible as he tried to follow it literally as possible.

thomaser

Finished The Crossing tonight, the second book in Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy. Such a strong, depressing, stark tale. I'm not sure how the first part with the wolf fits in with the rest, but I'm still digesting the book. That dog at the end was heart-wrenching, and is strangely the one part I think about most now that I've just finished the book. I loved it, that's for sure, and can't wait to read the last book where
John and Billy meet up.

51luX93BScL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

But first, something COMPLETELY different: Jane Austen! About to start Mansfield Park, the third book in the complete novels deluxe-edition from Penguin.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
LocoMrPollock said:
c373d250fca0503eef976010.L.jpg

Just started this one last night and am already halfway finished with it. Very good book.

Wow, the premise sound great. I'll probably check it out after I finish what I'm reading now.

Ptaaty

The Gargoyle. Book is plenty messed up so far.

Finished Fall of Hyperion. I can unconditionally recommend Hyperion as one of the better book I have read in awhile. Fall of Hyperion, was still pretty damn good...just not the classic the first was.

Tigel

I finished
4e24228348a0eba78e6cc010L.jpg

a few hours ago. I enjoyed it a lot. Awesome setting (I'm a sucker for westerns) and I like the direction the story was taking in the last few chapters
Particularly, Walter speach about universes and stuff.

I have The Drawing of the Three sitting on my shelf, but I must finish The Zombie Survival Guide before... (I'm half way through, but I stop reading because I coundn't put The Gunslinger down :lol)

Stealth

I think I asked this in last month's thread but didn't get an answer:

Should I jump into The Dark Tower series or go with A Song of Ice and Fire? The former is already finished, which is a big plus for me, but the latter is getting heaps of praise everywhere I see it mentioned and I'm really interested in the HBO show. So, Book-GAF, what do you suggest?

(Disclaimer: I read the first graphic novels for The Dark Tower and liked them, as well)

Stealth said:

Should I jump into The Dark Tower series or go with A Song of Ice and Fire? The former is already finished, which is a big plus for me, but the latter is getting heaps of praise everywhere I see it mentioned and I'm really interested in the HBO show. So, Book-GAF, what do you suggest?

(Disclaimer: I read the first graphic novels for The Dark Tower and liked them, as well)

Read the first book of both series and see where you'd rather go from there?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Stealth said:

I would go with The Dark Tower. By the time you finish, "A Dance with Dragons" will probably be released (Lawd please). But yeah, its hugely dependent on what you may be into at this moment. An Epic Western/Science Fiction? or an Epic High Fantasy?

tim1138 said:
the_sheriff_of_yrnameer.large.jpg

About 3/4 of the way through it, its science fiction in the Douglas Adams vein and has been an enjoyable read.

Wow. I bought that book a couple of weeks ago and still havent read it D:

Right now I'm reading Storm Front :)

Storm_Front.png

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hey LocoMrPollock, if you are interested in passing on Emergence after you are done let me know and maybe we can work something out.

I cannot find it at the local bookstores yet around here.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just finished:

51k1DpEejpL.jpg

On the Road

Wow. A whirlwind adventure through America and the Beat culture - this book was right up my alley. Though it is a bit light on plot, the book shines when read as the memoirs of one of the most influential writers of the Beat generation.

I was inspired and intimidated by Dean/Sal's mindsets simultaneously- inspired to quit my job and hit the road, partying all the way. To explore America and it's people (it's women in particular) and do it all with your best friends. I was intimidated at the absolute lack of commitment these guys showed towards everything.

I'd have to put this up there with High Fidelity as 'Books Men Should Read'. Highly recommended.

Next up:

big159102594X.jpg

I've recently read yet another free Baen book, Inherit The Stars by James P. Hogan. It's a sci-fi book of a type that I don't see very often, focusing on scientific research. Space archaeology, basically. I guess the biggest other similar book I can think of would be Rendezvous with Rama, but that was more exploration, whereas Inherit The Stars is more about how to interpret the various facts being uncovered.

Without giving away more than is found on the website or would be given away on the back of the book,
a space-suited human body is discovered on the moon--apparently 50,000 years old
. Theories are made, examination of the evidence changes them, new evidence changes them more, on and on and on.

There seem to be four sequels to this book--I'll definitely need to check them out.

Broseybrose

Just finished - A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
n3043.jpg

Kubrick is my favorite film director, but this was my first time reading the book. It is excellent.

Now Reading - The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse.
9780312278496.jpg

I love Hesse and have read all his works several times over, but this is the one book of his i could never get further than 50 pages into for some reason. This time its sticking - im 150 pages in and loving it.

Willectro

Banned
Broseybrose said:
Just finished
n3043.jpg

Kubrick is my favorite film director, but this was my first time reading the book. It is excellent.

Just started the book, great read so far. I love the style of the writing, much like the movie. Burgess is a great author.

Has anyone read "The Game" by Neil Strauss
that will admit they bought it
?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished reading - foundation and empire.
Don't think i liked this as much as 'foundation', but it was a fun read throughout. The reveals in the last 30 pages or so were pretty awesome. And the characterization was a decent improvement over the fairly dry characterization of the first novel.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
15174056.jpg

There was a display with all of her books at a bookstore in Winnipeg. I couldn't leave without one, since they sounded so interesting. Half way through it right now and it's really hit the spot for me, I'm enjoying it a whole lot. I'll pick up the rest of her books as soon as I'm finished.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
mujun said:
Perdido Street Station is really starting to grab me. I had my doubts but the world is very cool.

It's a great book, I fucking loved the Weaver, as is The Scar. The Iron Council didn't really grab me though, but I loved The City & The City. Mieville is a damn good writer.

mujun said:
Perdido Street Station is really starting to grab me. I had my doubts but the world is very cool.

As already noted, I had some doubts as well, which were promptly put to rest in similar fashion. Enjoy.

way more

will52 said:
Just started the book, great read so far. I love the style of the writing, much like the movie. Burgess is a great author.

Has anyone read "The Game" by Neil Strauss
that will admit they bought it
?

I've read it and it's the single worst book I've ever read. The author is painfully dumb and slow witted and the entire book is 450 pages too long. It would be barely worth a four page article in Maxim or FHM but to have the gall to sell it as a book is criminal.

Lambtron said:
15174056.jpg
There was a display with all of her books at a bookstore in Winnipeg. I couldn't leave without one, since they sounded so interesting. Half way through it right now and it's really hit the spot for me, I'm enjoying it a whole lot. I'll pick up the rest of her books as soon as I'm finished.

That is such an awesome book and the ending if freakish. I should probably check out her other works.

Salazar

A trio, each of them great.

'Homicide' by David Simon.
'A Chance Meeting: Intertwined Lives of American Writers and Artists' by Rachel Cohen.
'Prelude to Foundation' by Isaac Asimov.

Sidetracked by recordings of 'I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue', though. Humphrey Lyttelton was a fucking comic god.

Asbel

rexor0717 said:
6a00d09e6525babe2b00e398bd11bf0005-500pi

I'm liking it a lot.
Same here. Every chapter had something good. Gaf has never been so right about a recommendation before. I'm afraid to go into the other Song of Ice and Fire threads for fear of spoilers but it's tough not being curious.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Asbel said:
Same here. Every chapter had something good. Gaf has never been so right about a recommendation before. I'm afraid to go into the other Song of Ice and Fire threads for fear of spoilers but it's tough not being curious.
Thanks to the hype the series gets, it seems at least 1-3 new people are reading the series every month.:lol

ultron87

Asbel said:

I've also been really enjoying it. I'm about 2/3-3/4 of the way through Game of Thrones and have gotten to the point where seemingly
the shit simultaneously hits the fan for pretty much everyone. King dies, Ned gets screwed, and the Night Watch gets attacked by zombies.
Damn, those were an exciting few chapters. I look forward to reading more when I get home from work/classes.

rexor0717

Asbel said:
I know! I was like, "Well, GAF said it was amazing, but I dunno..."
Then I started reading it. :D
I can't wait for the show.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I anyone else going to pick up the new Dan Brown on the 15th?

I know it's bad but it's highly entertaining and if you compare it to twilight, dan brown is a new garcia marques!

Top Bottom