• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2010)

Karakand

Qx7h0.jpg

Literally the worst book I have ever read.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah you are completely right and will be proven more so once you finish the book. She obviously had a great idea that was the hunger games. The arena the fighting all that was where she had a lot of her inspiration and where the real draw of the book is. Outside of the arena she is clearly in unfamiliar territory and doesn't know how to write the series without them fighting for their lives. The book like I said just goes nowhere as a result and characters you have come to really enjoy end up being shallow husks of themselves since they are given no reason for growth.
Finished it yesterday and man, that ending. Let's have
a trial where we never find out the why's, what's, or anything else!
Awesome. Other than the last two chapters/epilogue though, it was alright.

Carlisle said:
A-Game-of-Thrones.jpg

Amazing so far. Can't put it down.
Same for me. Waiting with finishing it for Amazon to deliver the second one, because i get the feeling i want to continue reading right after this one.

Really cool story so far, although i'm getting a bit confused with so many names to remember. :lol

Maklershed said:
The image is blocked here at work but I'll assume its American Gods.
It's The Average American Male by Chad Kultgen.

Helmholtz

HarryHengst said:
Really cool story so far, although i'm getting a bit confused with so many names to remember. :lol
You know there's an appendix at the back right? I didn't realize this when I read book one ;(

I never liked the Stranger but recently I read The Myth of Sisyphus and it completely changed my concept of him, The Plague is better than I expected
The Plague is great! I don't think nearly as many people read it as they do his other works. I personally love the way he writes.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Can anybody recommend non-fiction works that are easily accessible and likely to appeal to nerdy males? I'm talking books like "Prisoner of Trebekistan", which is a Jeopardy champion's account of his Jeopardy adventures, and "American Shaolin", about an American who travels to China to study with the Shaolin monks.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
SnowWolf, I haven't read the books you mentioned. But I have read a few with concepts similar to the shaolin book where guy goes around the world to immerse himself in a fascinating and contrarian subculture. I thoroughly enjoyed Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall.

Also consider Among the Thugs by Bill Buford. An American (who edited a literary magazine, natch) insinuates himself into a firm of football hooligans in the UK. I'm not sure how much of it is true, but it's entertaining. Unless you're from the UK, in which case you would hate it.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
SnowWolf said:
Can anybody recommend non-fiction works that are easily accessible and likely to appeal to nerdy males? I'm talking books like "Prisoner of Trebekistan", which is a Jeopardy champion's account of his Jeopardy adventures, and "American Shaolin", about an American who travels to China to study with the Shaolin monks.
The Endurance (author I think is Caroline Alexander) is my favorite non-fiction/adventure book I've read in the past year or so. Great read, amazing story.

Guileless

Another possibility for you SnowWolf: Moneyball by Michael Lewis. Ostensibly about baseball, but it's really about cleverness bumping up against unthinking tradition. You don't have to understand or like baseball to enjoy it.

rjfs

Neo Member
Just finished The Stranger by Albert Camus. I would definitely recommend it, maybe even for those who have read it before as the new translation is supposed to be far superior to the old one.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
rjfs said:
Just finished The Stranger by Albert Camus. I would definitely recommend it, maybe even for those who have read it before as the new translation is supposed to be far superior to the old one.

I like how the narrative explodes at the last two-three pages

Finished reading Warrior. It was decent as far as paranormal romance goes. Lots of of NC-17 action as well as an almost wild-west adventure. I liked the historical fiction aspects of it, especially the parts about Genghis Khan. Probably won't read the rest of the series till later. I have issues with leading female characters being powerful and spunky, but still written to be not as strong or good at fighting than the tall, dark, muscular men who save them from peril.

On that note, heading back to the Vorkosigan Saga and starting:

I like that it starts right where Shards of Honor left off. I hate it when there are useless pages wasted on a recap. Not too happy about the baby development though. I hate babies.

Fritz

I just shot John O'Hara's rare Lovey Childs - a Philadelphian's Story and The Instrument for 4 € at a fleamarket. They were only once published in german. With absolutely ridiculous titles: these tender, wild years and thanks for nothing respectively

Reading the first one at the moment and it's top stuff. Lovey is the daughter of a philadelphian socialite that brings home a friend from school over christmas. Your not expecting anything and than BAM, the friend has pretty graphic girl on women intercourse with Lovey's mother!! John O'Hara is steadily becoming my favourite author next to Anton Chekhov.

Finally got my hands on A Game of Thrones. Too early to give any real thoughts on (I really just started the book), but I'm liking the style and I'm glad to finally get to read the book after hearing so many good things about the series.

wrowa

Jarlaxle said:
TCoM.cover.jpg

Just finished this. I thought I would enjoy it more than I did. I've heard tons of praise for Pratchett and his humor but for my money I'd take Douglas Adam's anytime. Although, I did read a bunch of reviews on amazon that say that this is one of the weaker Discworld books even though it is the first. I might give another one a try at some point since they are so short but it won't be anytime soon.
I read Small Gods at the end of last year which is supposed to be one of his best books, but my feelings are similar to yours. I enjoyed reading it, but I expected something more after all of the praise I've heard about Pratchet. I 've also got Printing Money and The Truth by him, but I haven't read these books yet.

My biggest problem with Small Gods was actually the lack of chapters. Sounds stupid, but I'm used to read chapter wise. Without them I'm missing "orientation" or something.

eznark said:
aaaaaand I just deleted Franzen's Freedom from my nook.

One of the more scathing reviews I've read of a book by such a critical darling. Of course, now that it's made Oprah's Book Club it's sure to get excoriated by the elites.
I was drinking with some friends in a hotel bar in DC tonight. Two guys and a girl sat down at a table a few yards away from us. I leaned over to a friend and said, "Man, that guy looks like Jonathan Franzen! Hey, remember when Oprah was going to have The Corrections be part of her book club, and he made fun of her and she took it back? :lol "

Suddenly, I notice there's someone standing beside me. "Hi, I couldn't help overhearing you. I'm Jonathan Franzen."

D'oh!

He said that wasn't what really happened. I told him that was the perception. He said he felt bad about that. I told him I'd listened to his Fresh Air interview with Terry Gross on NPR the other day. We talked for a few more minutes and he was actually very nice.

ngower

ElectricBlue187 said:

I really enjoyed what I read of this. I never finished it, a plague that seems to infect most books I pick up, but it was quite good. They're adapting it into a film as well, something I'm quite excited for.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Guileless said:
SnowWolf, I haven't read the books you mentioned. But I have read a few with concepts similar to the shaolin book where guy goes around the world to immerse himself in a fascinating and contrarian subculture. I thoroughly enjoyed Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall.

Also consider Among the Thugs by Bill Buford. An American (who edited a literary magazine, natch) insinuates himself into a firm of football hooligans in the UK. I'm not sure how much of it is true, but it's entertaining. Unless you're from the UK, in which case you would hate it.

demon said:
The Endurance (author I think is Caroline Alexander) is my favorite non-fiction/adventure book I've read in the past year or so. Great read, amazing story.

Thanks for the recs, I'm going to look into these. I couldn't think of a good way to describe what I'm looking for other than "easily accessible, likely to appeal to nerdy males", but "insider exposé of popular culture" is a better description. In case anybody else has similar interests to mine, I recently came across "Shooting in the Wild", which is about how wildlife documentaries are filmed, the tricks they use to produce the footage, and other insights to these films.

adamsappel said:
I was drinking with some friends in a hotel bar in DC tonight. Two guys and a girl sat down at a table a few yards away from us. I leaned over to a friend and said, "Man, that guy looks like Jonathan Franzen!...

Awesome story! Now go read Freedom, his latest. It's really very good.

Roofy

51OXwKY5GNL._SS500_.jpg

just finished nineteen eighty-four (Brave New World was better)

21QEQvcqToL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-28,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

about a quarter of the way through slaughterhouse five and im really enjoying it

Guileless

Picked up for cheap and finished More than a Game: The Glorious Present and Uncertain Future of the NFL by Brian Billick. He was the coach of Baltimore when it won the Super Bowl. He's a sharp guy, not your stereotypical football coach, and it's an insightful read. The best line is when some anonymous league official tells him that in the old days, the owners' priority was to do what's good for the game and then try to make money off of it. Now the priority is to maximize revenue first and then try to figure out how to make it work with the game second. That sums up the NFL nowadays I think.

Snowwolf, you should check out Moneyball. It was a bestseller so you can surely get a copy at the library or a score a cheap used one.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just finished:

41sp3ONoOsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Not her best work by any means, but a pretty good read. The standout short stories for me include "Newton's Sleep", "The Rock That Changed Things", "The Shoby's Story", and The Fisherman of the Inland Sea". So.. most of the book. :lol Familiarity with her Hainish Universe is required for the last two stories though.

8/10.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Pretty bored with fiction lately, finished Kitchen Confidential last week and moved on to the super-horrendous Suck It Wonder Woman by Olivia Munn, hoping for some sort of a guilty pleasure Chelsea Handler vibe but getting only guilty. Started in on I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max only to realize I cannot handle more than 100 pages of stories about a douchebag drinking and getting with chicks, and dropped that one. Also recently enjoyed Surely You're Joking by the titular Dr. Feynman on recommendation, a really entertaining series of life stories from an interesting physicist.

Before that, finished the epic-length Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons, and now getting back to Bourdain with his newest one Medium Raw which is pretty great so far.

Any other interesting and entertaining non-fiction recommendations?

Jarlaxle

wrowa said:
My biggest problem with Small Gods was actually the lack of chapters. Sounds stupid, but I'm used to read chapter wise. Without them I'm missing "orientation" or something.

It's funny because now that I'm reading something else, one of the first things I said was, "Thank God this book has chapters." It wasn't that it needed chapters so bad because it was only 200 pages but it would've helped in the cohesion of the story I felt. The ideas kind of get intermingled without them.

12963.jpg

Very funny, but it's the last time I read a spanish translation from an english book, it's terrible at times and throws you out of the whole atmosphere of the story.

and

collapse.jpg

I just started it and it's a long book (for my standards) so I think it will take me a good month to finish it. Has anyone read it here? What's your opinion?

moojito

Arcane Hayter said:
Just started the Wheel of Time series. Halfway into the first book, so far so good.

Good god, man, what have you done?!

SnowWolf said:

Hokkaido Highway Blues by Will Ferguson. Awesome account of some guy who went hitchhiking through Japan.

KingOfKong said:
^that was a good book. I did find however, the Buddhist themes got a little overwhelming at times. A great introduction to Beatnik culture though.
The Buddhism that they practice is all over the map, and not particularly valuable in my opinion. Especially after working through Snyder's Mountains and Rivers Without End as a companion which is a lot more singular and thoughtful. Definitely an interesting look at Beat counterculture, though. Gotta love Kerouac's "spontaneous prose" too.

Top Bottom