• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manik

Finished -

night-of-knives.jpg

I had a few niggles with certain aspects of the book - the narrator exclamation marks started to irk me when they got used too often in a short space of time and the use of swearing which, while present, has never been a staple of conversation in Erikson's set of books, so far anyway, felt slightly jarring but aside from that it was incredibly enjoyable. It felt like more of a straightforward 'action adventure' book and it was nice to have a nice compact (in relation to the main novels) tale set within the Malazan universe.

There were a few things I felt that I'd have liked to read more about, such as
the Stormriders
and I hope these get covered in future Esselmont books, as I've not seen any mention (that I can remember) of them in Erikson's books. But, for a first novel, it gets a thumbs up from me.

Then moved on to -

10320885.jpg

Loved the writing style of this book. I'm led to believe it's a novella set within the larger world of 'the half-made world' so will definitely pick that up at some point, if it carries on in the same style. Felt a lot like Firefly without the space bits so am looking forward to getting a bigger fix of this in the future.

Next up -

the-bonehunters.jpg

Alucard

Banned
brave-new-world.jpg

I read 'Brave New World' yesterday, I enjoyed it, very easy reading and some great imagery

I also read Orwell's 1984 a couple of weeks back, so it was interesting to compare the two in some ways

Next I'll be reading Paradise Lost once it arrives!

If you're on a dystopia kick, you really should finish off "the big 3" and knock off Fahrenheit 451. It's my personal favourite of the three novels, with 1984 coming in at a close second. Brave New World wasted way too much time on technical scientific explanations from what I can remember of it. Still liked it, but it just didn't hit me the same way that the other two did. I'd probably enjoy it more today, though...books like that tend to get better with a person's age. A book you read at 25 is not the same book you read at 31.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Reading Nixonland, there's some really interesting stuff in it if you're into politics at all. Kind of a chore to get through, though, I've been reading it for about a week and I'm not even halfway done.

I read it this summer. Took me from late May-August. It's incredibly dense. Worth it though.

Finished "World War Z" and "Breakfast of Champions". Z was solid but not as great as I had hoped it would be. Champions was a strange read. Entertaining in it's strangeness if you can avoid being turned off by it.

200px-World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg

200px-BreakfastOfChampions%28Vonnegut%29.jpg

Started "Day of the Triffids" - good so far

200px-JohnWyndham_TheDayOfTheTriffids.jpg

Hoping Amazon has a decent Kindle sale in the near future....running low on fiction.

Finished this on a plane. Boy, was I mad that I couldn't buy the second book right away. Cliffhanger-central!

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

As good as everyone else made it out to be. I only gave it 4 stars because I wish they could have revealed more about
the Time Tombs
in the first book. Is the second book just as good? Better? Worse? Am I going to be disappointed?
I thought the second book was definitely as good as the first. I am on the third right now, which I think is great and better than most books, but not as mind blowing as the first two. Definitely worth reading them though.

Himself

Any DeLillo fans in the house? I started with White Noise and Im about halfway through Libra. Im just gonna keep going chronologically until i burn out, but right now im pretty impressed with how the dude writes. How has his more recent stuff been?

Ledsen

Finished "World War Z" and "Breakfast of Champions". Z was solid but not as great as I had hoped it would be. Champions was a strange read. Entertaining in it's strangeness if you can avoid being turned off by it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg/200px-World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/46/BreakfastOfChampions%28Vonnegut%29.jpg/200px-BreakfastOfChampions%28Vonnegut%29.jpg[IMG]

Started "Day of the Triffids" - good so far

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/62/JohnWyndham_TheDayOfTheTriffids.jpg/200px-JohnWyndham_TheDayOfTheTriffids.jpg[/MG]
Hoping Amazon has a decent Kindle sale in the near future....[B]running low on fiction[/B].[/QUOTE]

Two words for you... Project Gutenberg. It's impossible to run out of fiction.

Simply download this to your Kindle: [URL="http://www.freekindlebooks.org/MagicCatalog/magiccatalog.html"]The Magic Catalog of Project Gutenberg E-Books[/URL]. There's a MOBI and an EPUB version. It's a frequently updated .pdf, searchable by author, title etc, with direct links to all the P Gutenberg books. You'll need two lifetimes to read all the books you find interesting on that list...

150 pages in. got it because it because gaddis and pynchon were mentioned in some amazon reviews. does not live up to them at all. dissapointed.

beatutiful cover though

You also have to keep in mind that this is essentially a self-published unedited first novel. Yeah, it's a bit of a mess, but some of it is quite good, and I thought the overall arc of the book was well done.

I just finished:

51TgnMOmLsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

For a first crack at Wallace by a first-time biographer, it was pretty good, although in spots it read like a really, really long magazine feature. Still, it filled in quite a bit of his life that I didn't know about (or at least much detail about). Still, if you have Wallace on some kind of pedestal, don't read it. If you know much about him, you know he was a mess - depressive, needy, and addict, wracked by insecurity, terrible in relationships, etc. Although, ultimately, I suppose, this is a story of redemption, despite Wallace's ultimate fate.

FnordChan

I guess this sounds like a negative review, but the book is perfectly enjoyable. It's just that Bujold is such an awesome writer that I expect more.

I think the problem here is that Bujold essentially ended the Vorkosigan saga with A Civil Campaign, a book that combined a comedy of manners with substantial challenges and change for the characters. It's a brilliant finale to a wonderful series - but naturally fans want more adventures from beloved characters (myself emphatically included) and Bujold no doubt has things that she wants to flesh out and isn't adverse to some nice paychecks. So, you get "Winterfair Gifts" (which is a pleasant epilogue to A Civil Campaign), Diplomatic Immunity (which is a pleasant mystery but not an amazing one), Cryoburn (ditto, except for the epilogue), and now we have The Ivan Book. If the previous three books are doing some Where Are They Now? style wrapping up (i.e. Taura, Bel Thorn), then it's nice to see Ivan get his chance to shine, and it's difficult to imagine our Captain Vorpatril in a deeply serious, weighty sort of adventure.

Like I said, I'm not adverse to this sort of thing and when Captain Vorpatril's Alliance arrives (I'm holding out for the hardcover release in November) I'm sure I'll devour it in short order. But, you're right that the recent Vorkosigan novels haven't had enough gravitas to really pack a punch in the same way that, say, the Brothers In Arms/Mirror Dance/Memory sequence did. I wouldn't argue much if Bujold came back to the Vorkosigan universe with some very serious, high stakes challenges for the characters to overcome, but I think she's happy with everyone where they are and doesn't really want to put folks through the wringer like that again. I can't argue with her overly, but I do hope that she'll find another wonderful universe and set of characters to start exploring in earnest before long.

FnordChan

If you're on a dystopia kick, you really should finish off "the big 3" and knock off Fahrenheit 451. It's my personal favourite of the three novels, with 1984 coming in at a close second. Brave New World wasted way too much time on technical scientific explanations from what I can remember of it. Still liked it, but it just didn't hit me the same way that the other two did. I'd probably enjoy it more today, though...books like that tend to get better with a person's age. A book you read at 25 is not the same book you read at 31.

Crazy. Brave New World is easily the best of the lot, both from a literary stand point (which puts Fahrenheit at third) and from the enduring nature of its ideas.

FnordChan

I'd definitely like to see her do another series that hit some of the more serious stuff from the early Vorkosiverse. The Chalion books did some of that, at least in the first two. The Sharing Knife didn't even come close, at least in the first book, which is the only one in the series I've read.

I thought the first two Chalion books were excellent, but the third wasn't as good. Not bad, mind you, but not up to snuff. I bounced off the first Sharing Knife novel and plan on giving the series another go at some point, now that I've had plenty of time to recalibrate my expectations to "romantic fantasy".

I'm wondering if Bujold could find an entirely separate viewpoint character away from the whole Vorkosigan clan and dive back into their universe that way, since I'd certainly like to see more adventures in that setting. Unfortunately, I don't know that I see this happening...though that may turn into fortunately if Bujold takes some time from hereon to craft an entirely new world and series to work with. Fingers are crossed.

FnordChan

dionysus

Yaldog
It's just that Bujold is such an awesome writer that I expect more.

Bujold is definitely a goddess among men. When she stumbles it is still better than 95% of fantasy or sci-fi. Can't get into the Sharing Knife though. At an earlier age I would have loved the heavy love focus, but not anymore. We read books for different reasons depending on our current life circumstances.

FnordChan said:
I thought the first two Chalion books were excellent, but the third wasn't as good.

Chalion books are my favorite from Bujold. The one with the wolf bond is one of the best books I have ever read. I wish she would go back to that world. Challion > Vorkosigan >>>> Sharing Knife. However, I have to admit my internal prejudices here. It is not a coincidence that I enjoy the male perspective books a whole lot more than the female perspective ones.

It started out as a good book, I'm about 3/5 through it and now it's a really good book. Anyone know if the sequels keep up in quality?

I am not a huge sword & sorcery guy who reads books for the action, but what Sanderson does with Kelsier at the end of this book is the best I have seen.

2 of my favorite authors on the same page. GAF has good tastes.

Finished Brent Weeks' The Blinding Knife last week and it was just fantastic. Better even than the great 'Black Prism'. Waiting for Lightbringer 3 is gonna be a killer.

xsCcK.jpg

After that was The Skybound Sea, the 3rd book in the Aeon's Gate Trilogy. Sykes is an amazing talent, and he's gotten better with every book. He's got the writing gene - his mom is Diana Gabaldon.

Also, dat cover...

4Upoa.jpg

Just started Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl - heard amazing things about it.

GZQHY.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Speak_1st_Edition_Cover.jpg

Pretty poweful novel even knowing the subject matter going on. I figured it wouldn't really be that kind of book for me, and when I started out reading it wasn't. By the end though I can see why this book was and still is such a big deal.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Just started Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl - heard amazing things about it.

I thought this book was fantastic. If you enjoy it as well, I would recommend hunting down his novella, "The People of Sand and Slag." I want to say it is included in some post-apocalyptic short story collection, but I can't think of the name of it right now.

I thought this book was fantastic. If you enjoy it as well, I would recommend hunting down his novella, "The People of Sand and Slag." I want to say it is included in some post-apocalyptic short story collection, but I can't think of the name of it right now.

Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse

Finished I am not a serial killer. enjoyed it. idk about how the ending was done but I guess we'll see in the second book Mr. Monster

MrMonster.jpg

the story is finally picking up after 10 chapters.

I"m struggling through Infinite Jest. I really like about half of the chapters, but the other half I find pretty boring. Some of the chapters are deliberately written with horrible grammar, spelling and punctuation, and those are brutal to get through. I fell like I've been reading this for an eternity, and yet I'm only 25% done. It'll probably take a month to finish it. It's brutal. But I also kind of like it.

Arment

1841495379.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A little over half way in and I'm anticipating some kind of crazy story twist soon. I loved the last trilogy and it took a while to ramp up so I'm definitely giving it the benefit of the doubt right now.

Kuraudo

Banned
I heard it's really good. I think I want to pick up The Snow of Kilimanjaro and other stories collection.

Can anyone suggest a Hemmingway novel?

A Farewell to Arms is great.

The Old Man and the Sea is perfect too but it might be a bit shorter than you're after.

CiSTM

Banned
Every Love Story is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace - Holy shit! I had completely different image of him. What horrible person he was... Well, he wasn't horrible but not very likeable either.

Every Love Story is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace - Holy shit! I had completely different image of him. What horrible person he was... Well, he wasn't horrible but not very likeable either.

He was a piece of work, for sure. Fortunately for us, he was also a genius and left quite a bit of work behind.

Just finished up The Hunger Games trilogy in an embarrassingly short period of time, especially compared to how long it took me to get through 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (I blame a bad translation, yeah that's the ticket.) Can't see that I'd give the series to any real "YA" reader, it seems more geared to adult Dan Brown/Harry Potter readers and easy translation into movies.

I started reading "The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared" from Jonas Jonasson just a few days ago and I really like it so far. Before that I read "the fifth elefant" from Terry Pratchett. I finished it on a rainy weekend and enjoyed it a lot - particularly because it's the first book featuring the city watch that takes place outside of Ankh-Morpork.

The Turn of the Screw is a great title for a book.
The book itself though...i don't know. I'm still thinking about what i just read. It starts off pretty well, at least.

was she really insane all along? That would make things a bit more interesting.

Sleepy

I heard it's really good. I think I want to pick up The Snow of Kilimanjaro and other stories collection.

Can anyone suggest a Hemmingway novel?

I just finished The Sun Also Rises, my second read-through, and it is terrific. Even better the second time. If you are getting the short stories just go with The Complete Finca Vigia Edition. You'll like 'em...you'll like 'em all.

Alucard

Banned
Crazy. Brave New World is easily the best of the lot, both from a literary stand point (which puts Fahrenheit at third) and from the enduring nature of its ideas.

It's been a while since I read Brave New World. I recently went through 1984 again, and it still holds up incredibly well. Lots of brain food and a very clear style. Love Orwell's writing.

Mumei

I finished Paradise Lost, after starting and then dropping it several years ago. Milton's Lucifer / Satan is my personal canon of favorite characters now. It is a much more interesting tale than what is in the Bible itself, though I'm not really sure how successful Milton was at justifying the ways of God to this particular man.

And just to keep things on theme for the time being, I'm continuing reading the other series I started around the same time as that, Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I had already read the first book, so now I am on The Subtle Knife. I will then read the last book in the series, and then it will be on to The Last Enchantment to finish Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy.

Enjoy them both, especially The Man in the High Castle. Really interesting book.

They were both good; I think I probably agree on Dick's novel being more interesting in the long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom