• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite modern gaming/comedy podcasts?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I remember listening to a shit ton of Talk Radar back in the day, and later on to Laser Time/Vidjagame Apocalypse that was started by the same crew. But even the latter one doesn't seem to be going anymore. They still post something every few months but it's just a shell of what it used to be so whatever the hell happened there, they're pretty much done as well.

I also liked Giant Bombcast way back in the early 2010s but then when they started changing hosts I kinda lost interest.

What motivated me to post this, however, was this YouTube compilation of MandaloreGaming telling wacky stories on random podcasts, which I listened to for like 3 hours straight but then I was disappointed when I learned that he only appears as a guest on some other people's podcasts and I basically listened to his every apperance. Dude has such a knack for telling stories and he's so entertaining to listen to. It made me realize that I really miss some quality gaming podcasts that I could put on while doing mining runs in Elite Dangerous.

Do you guys know of any entertaining podcasts about gaming or pop culture that lean into comedic tone and it's actually funny and interesting to listen to?

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Digital Foundry.
giphy.gif

Kinda stopped listening to gaming podcasts years ago. Don't know mandalore gaming but the other stuff that used to be fun/funny has the self righteous leftist activist mentality that has infiltrated and subverted most of gaming journalism. Maybe there's some really small indie gaming casts that are well, not part of the matrix so to speak, but I wouldn't know who they are

Bragr

Banned
It's 10 years too late, but, Epic Battle Axe was the best back in the day.

The best now is likely the game makers notebook, the Ted Price hosted ones.

Else I highly recommend going back and listening to the Irrational Interviews, with Ken Levine.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Still mostly EZA, it was shame that Ben left but they still fun listen to and they are not overly negative about everything like most Youtubers love to do.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Castle Super Beast. Primarily Woolie and Pat from Super Best Friends but they have a guest on occasion such as today where Suzi from The Sphere Hunter Youtube channel joins them.

Clips are at Woolie's YouTube channel. Audio can be listened to for free at soundcloud or at libsyn. Video is free on twitch with full VoDs available for subscribers.
!!!! Holy shit dude! I've missed best friends so much, and I always liked Woolie and Pat more than Matt, and I fuckin hated that weeb Liam, so this is perfect for me. How long has this been a thing?

eye__writ

Banned
Humour is highly restricted in the gaming community, so the list will be short.

Fire Escape is a decent option that doesn't let irreverence die at the altar of conformity.

Last edited:

ssringo

!!!! Holy shit dude! I've missed best friends so much, and I always liked Woolie and Pat more than Matt, and I fuckin hated that weeb Liam, so this is perfect for me. How long has this been a thing?
Years. I knew they each had their own channel/stream but I liked them for their dynamic with each other and only periodically would look at something they were doing. I only stumbled across their podcast a year or so ago.

I liked everyone at SBF to various degrees but Pat and Woolie were easily my favorite. They have great chemistry.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Video Game Outsiders

They can be annoying, but no woke bullshit (in fact a pretty agreeable stance against it), they love to make fun of each other and everyone else, they hate on things for fun but are also fair when it comes to being critical, and they are true blue video game nerds.

I only explored video game podcasts for a couple months, but VGO was by far the best of the bunch. Everything else blew chunks.

poodaddy

Years. I knew they each had their own channel/stream but I liked them for their dynamic with each other and only periodically would look at something they were doing. I only stumbled across their podcast a year or so ago.

I liked everyone at SBF to various degrees but Pat and Woolie were easily my favorite. They have great chemistry.
Jesus man, it's so weird. I've really missed the best friends, so it's weird that this went under my radar for so long. I got a lot of catching up to do.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I am about a decade removed from listening to weekly gaming podcasts.

I do enjoy The Resident Evil Podcast though, it used to be called 'The Project Umbrella Podcast'. It's like 3 guys from the UK and 1 guy from New Zealand. They sometimes go months without releasing an episode but the content they put out is so damn entertaining. These guys are absolute masters with the lore of the series. One of the guys, The Batman, is continually updating a lore document, it's like 3,000+ pages long at this point, lol.

They recently did a 20 year retrospective on RE: Zero, so damn entertaining. If you are a diehard fan of RE, you will love the podcast.

Last edited:

njean777

Don’t know if it counts but adeptus ridiculous is a funny warhammer 40k lore podcast. Be careful though, once you go down the hole it is hard to climb out.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
8-4 is pretty good. I don’t always agree with their takes but they actually play their shit & have some industry experience. I like to put em on durin weekend mornings.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Alright, I'm gonna start trying some of your recommendations because my own search ended in me listening to 6 hours of some annoying boomer who kept declaring that VR is dead in the same breath as saying that he hates VR, and then kept rambling on about how he loves to just lay in bed and playing games on a handheld because he's senile and his back can't take sitting in a chair no more.

The other two hosts were alright though. Much more open minded and with some decent takes, just unlucky to be stuck in a room with that old curmudgeon. Fuck naming the name of that podcast too because I wouldn't encourage anyone going out there and listening to it.

drganon

The only gaming podcast I listen to any more on a regular basis is this somewhat obscure one called big think dimension. It's made me chuckle on a few occasions.

Gandih42

I listen to Castle Super Beast and Friends Per Second.

The first tends towards a lot of smaller and weirder games, while also covering most big releases. Long episodes with loads of bullshit, both infuriating and hilarious. I appreciate the variety, especially learning about games I'm not playing, as well as having my own opinions and preconceptions challenged.

The second is a lot more structured and cohesive, covering more mainstream games but good at shouting out indies too. It's a group of 4 people, the main person behind being SkillUp. If you like his stuff, you'll probably enjoy it. They're also good at having guests from within the world of game dev so that's cool too.

All of these are my own generation or older though (30-40 years), I'd be keen on mixing it up with someone a bit younger to stay in the loop of what teens and young adults are looking forward to these days.

MagnesD3

Castle Super Beast. Primarily Woolie and Pat from Super Best Friends but they have a guest on occasion such as today where Suzi from The Sphere Hunter Youtube channel joins them.

Clips are at Woolie's YouTube channel. Audio can be listened to for free at soundcloud or at libsyn. Video is free on twitch with full VoDs available for subscribers.
Hell yeah, I listen to Castle Super Beast every week, it's easily my favorite Podcast. (Also watch alot of WoolieVs).

Oh wow you have A LOT to catch up on then, it's been going on since the split pretty much.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'd be keen on mixing it up with someone a bit younger to stay in the loop of what teens and young adults are looking forward to these days.
I'm comfortable with not giving a shit about what youths are into these days and staying within my own mid-thirties sphere of interests.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Friends Per Second.
Friends Per Second podcast
Yeah, this one's pretty good. Just finishing up on the latest episode. Had a bit of laugh at the nothing-burger served by the director of Destiny 2 (no wonder this game is such a mess if these are the conversations that are happening in the conference rooms of Bungie studios, lol) but the hosts are pretty fun to listen to and I like listening to current gaming news, especially for things that I normally don't play myself. A guy with a huge smile and a big beard is always a good sign, lol.

Last edited:
None. I enjoy playing and talking with people about games. I don't really care what anyone has to say about it outside of that unless its like historical gaming related news or like a DF Retro type video, etc.

Top Bottom