• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your general feelings on where the Final Fantasy series is now?

I think there's just way too much backlash to FF games. Everyone says they suck and they still sell like hotcakes and then I play them and find they're mostly well-done. The storylines in recent years leave much to be desired but that's not why I play these games anyway. All I know is they almost always look gorgeous, have loads of content packed in, usually have a fun and creative battle system that is unlike other games and will give me hours of enjoyment. They're certainly not at the peak they were in the SNES/PS era but they're still top-of-the-line RPGs.

I think there's just way too much backlash to FF games. Everyone says they suck and they still sell like hotcakes and then I play them and find they're mostly well-done. The storylines in recent years leave much to be desired but that's not why I play these games anyway. All I know is they almost always look gorgeous, have loads of content packed in, usually have a fun and creative battle system that is unlike other games and will give me hours of enjoyment. They're certainly not at the peak they were in the SNES/PS era but they're still top-of-the-line RPGs.
Top of the line RPGs with crap story? I think you missed out on what the point of an RPG is. Do people roll dice for gorgeous graphics? When graphics are all a game has you would do better watching a movie or running a bench mark or going outside all cheaper and superior to what that shell of a game offers. People play for the story with combat and adequate graphics to have things come across that makes it more than a book

SpiceRacz

I've had more enjoyment revisiting the older Final Fantasy games than playing the more recent ones. Maybe it's nostalgia, but to me, they're lacking in some way or another.

royox

I wish i still had a pc to play xiv. Played original through ARR never got to the expansions.
I was on the same server as neogaf guild. They wouldn't let me in I wasn't a member :)

You can play it on PS4. It shares accounts and servers with PC so you wouldn't lose your char. If you buy Stormblood it includes heavenswards.

You can play it on PS4. It shares accounts and servers with PC so you wouldn't lose your char. If you buy Stormblood it includes heavenswards.
Don't own one of those. Besides I played ff11 on ps2 I prefer mmos on PC. I feel kinda like waiting on pantheon at this point xiv does seem good though I just hate coming back late

sadaiyappan

Final Fantasy XV is a weird game, weird ideas. The game is in a weird place now. They need to return to old FF. I thought FFXIII was okay enough.

Jeiiya

I feel like I'm still a Final Fantasy fan, but I don't think I'm "holding out" for the next great one. Personally, there's already a huge library of FF games I completely adore and nothing new will retroactively affect that. Still, it's interesting to think about the recent installments.
FFXV felt like it was close to being a great game, but then time or money got in the way and they had to release what they had. I'm not a fan of the FFXV DLC, but I think that they did try to make FFXV into a decent game.
FFXIV feels like it's slowly becoming an MMO I want to play, but why couldn't it just be Ivalice Online? Still, at least it's being actively updated with content that looks good.

I feel like I'm still a Final Fantasy fan, but I don't think I'm "holding out" for the next great one. Personally, there's already a huge library of FF games I completely adore and nothing new will retroactively affect that. Still, it's interesting to think about the recent installments.
FFXV felt like it was close to being a great game, but then time or money got in the way and they had to release what they had. I'm not a fan of the FFXV DLC, but I think that they did try to make FFXV into a decent game.
FFXIV feels like it's slowly becoming an MMO I want to play, but why couldn't it just be Ivalice Online? Still, at least it's being actively updated with content that looks good.
Ivalice online ahh. A dream many of us had. We half got it with ff12. Did the remaster work on the story at all?

I was looking at Tanaka who did ff3 and 11 and thought damn where was he after that? Scrolling down... Oh the disaster launch of 14.... I choose to blame the engine on that! Notoriously hard to work with.
I do wish 14 had followed in footsteps of classic mmos like eqo and ff11.

*flash back sequence*
I still remember my first trip to the dunes and after my subjob, a few of us finding a guy who knew the way to jueno and agreed for us to follow him. sneaking past crazy high level mobs we'd never seen and once reaching the big city feeling like OMG when a small taru from rural windurst made it to the big city <_< thiefs everywhere... OOH LOOK A BARD! A few gil and 12 /dance's later "CHOCOBOS! GUYS THERE'S CHOCOBOS! guys?" The group made to find jueno broke off never to be seen again, and I always already suspicious of the Galka who lead 4 tarus. Was taru trafficking a thing? I heard the rumors while being punted around; it was time to get out of there. Until there she was a high level tar u female whm {Hello!} I said, her head turned and inspected me(literally) and ran off.
The one that got away
-a Tarutaru story

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Octopath traveler, bravely default. Its literally what people miss about FF, but ignore them

FFS, didn't realize it was a switch game. DO THIS ON PLAYSTATION SQUARE. I do not understand this fucking company at all, it's like they do not want to succeed.

Last edited:
FFS, didn't realize it was a switch game. DO THIS ON PLAYSTATION SQUARE. I do not understand this fucking company at all, it's like they do not want to succeed.
FF will probably always be stuck in having to be cutting edge. They probably think people won't buy a 2.5d game for the system.
As for BD it was long as any FF & for a handheld. What made me know it was the new FF was it was about the crystals again, and those scenes were badass.
The way I see it is PS4&Xbox get the cutting edge FF mainlines, and Nintendo gets the new old school games that Square used to release on their system.
You can enjoy the partial OST ripped from the demo

And game

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
I think SE direly needs to re-invent the franchises core presentation. My biggest peeve with FF13 and FF15 was how arrogant, smug and pseudo-sophisticated everything was put in scene. Ffs, stop using Latin, it makes you look insta-pretentious :/ And I'd love to see real emotion again. FF8 and 9 were so full of emotion, ranging from happy to sad. FF10 was the beginning of the end of 'true' emotions, everything began feeling orchestrated/staged. Looking cool and sexy became more important.

If I had a wish, SE would return to the designs Crystal Chronicled and make an epic story within that world. More fantasy, more emotions, more whimsy. Less of anything FF15.

I think SE direly needs to re-invent the franchises core presentation. My biggest peeve with FF13 and FF15 was how arrogant, smug and pseudo-sophisticated everything was put in scene. Ffs, stop using Latin, it makes you look insta-pretentious :/ And I'd love to see real emotion again. FF8 and 9 were so full of emotion, ranging from happy to sad. FF10 was the beginning of the end of 'true' emotions, everything began feeling orchestrated/staged. Looking cool and sexy became more important.

If I had a wish, SE would return to the designs Crystal Chronicled and make an epic story within that world. More fantasy, more emotions, more whimsy. Less of anything FF15.
CC ala GC or Wii? If GC yes please I do like that world. That race with long necks and helmets over face. That was a great game but required too much to play it. 4 of us living in one house with 1 gc and 2 GBA and no link cables

Last edited:

Ridcully

It feels like a franchise that has cast off its identity in order to appeal to a malformed idea of Western tastes. The series has gone from being the big gateway jRPG franchise to irrelevance.

KevinKeene

Banned
CC ala GC or Wii? If GC yes please I do like that world. That race with long necks and helmets over face. That was a great game but required too much to play it. 4 of us living in one house with 1 gc and 2 GBA and no link cables

Haven't played the Wii-game, but neither :p A mainline FF wouldn't be a good fit for CC-gameplay. But the atmosphere and whimsy designs are totally what FF needs.

Basically: remove anything that's currently 'cool' about FF - because those are the bad parts. ;p

Last edited:
Haven't played the Wii-game, but neither :p A mainline FF wouldn't be a good fit for CC-gameplay. But the atmosphere and whimsy designs are totally what FF needs.

Basically: remove anything that's currently 'cool' about FF - because those are the bad parts. ;p
Oh I agree that or ff9 is totally what I loved about FF high fantasy, a bit of a children's story book. Very whimsical as you say.
The dressed in black, leather, and belts they stick with trying to strike on ff7s success is old. Yet the names selling it not the world so they haven't got the message.
CC had a very magical soundtrack too.
I think a 4 player co-op could work.
Hell I think they could do an RPG maker with FF assets. Design them all in handheld mode ala Mario maker with ability to publish. Have their dev teams each release their own little games within it. Ability to switch from 2d to 2.5 or 8bit to 16bit with press of a button. And tons of prerendered 3d stuff you drop in draw out paths all that good stuff. From 1 to as most recent as feasible assets within, and new ones.
And probably a very long grand adventure that comes with the system to show off what's possible with a year of work.

Anyway I think whoever's writing for 14 deserves their chance with an offline game once they finish ff14 expansions. Consult whoever they did for any game up to 12. Have a check list is it edgy? Does this character have 3 or more belts?

Last edited:

Jeiiya

Ivalice online ahh. A dream many of us had. We half got it with ff12. Did the remaster work on the story at all?

I was looking at Tanaka who did ff3 and 11 and thought damn where was he after that? Scrolling down... Oh the disaster launch of 14.... I choose to blame the engine on that! Notoriously hard to work with.
I do wish 14 had followed in footsteps of classic mmos like eqo and ff11.

*flash back sequence*
I still remember my first trip to the dunes and after my subjob, a few of us finding a guy who knew the way to jueno and agreed for us to follow him. sneaking past crazy high level mobs we'd never seen and once reaching the big city feeling like OMG when a small taru from rural windurst made it to the big city <_< thiefs everywhere... OOH LOOK A BARD! A few gil and 12 /dance's later "CHOCOBOS! GUYS THERE'S CHOCOBOS! guys?" The group made to find jueno broke off never to be seen again, and I always already suspicious of the Galka who lead 4 tarus. Was taru trafficking a thing? I heard the rumors while being punted around; it was time to get out of there. Until there she was a high level tar u female whm {Hello!} I said, her head turned and inspected me(literally) and ran off.
The one that got away
-a Tarutaru story

Sadly, nothing was added story-wise with the FF12 remaster, but the game is gorgeous in full 1080p. You do get to choose 2 jobs now though and they added the ability to run the game at x2 or x4 speed.

Yo, I have a FFXI story about getting to Jeuno as well. I ran there solo, one of the most dangerous things to do I'm told. I lucked out and some higher level players were killing mobs along my route. It was scary and when I FINALLY got to Jeuno I found out I had to spend 3 real days to get my chocobo license. Whatever, I did it and it felt great. After all that I realized something: I had no money and I couldn't get back without losing a level. Basically I was stuck in the city. So, I did what any self-respecting tarutaru would do. I sold flowers from a flower vendor for scraps of gil. I think it took me another 2 days before I made enough to rent a chocobo to return home. It was an insane journey, but I came back with the power to ride the golden birds. Worth it.

Last edited:
Sadly, nothing was added story-wise with the FF12 remaster, but the game is gorgeous in full 1080p. You do get to choose 2 jobs now though and they added the ability to run the game at x2 or x4 speed.

Yo, I have a FFXI story about getting to Jeuno as well. I ran there solo, one of the most dangerous things to do I'm told. I lucked out and some higher level players were killing mobs along my route. It was scary and when I FINALLY got to Jeuno I found out I had to spend 3 real days to get my chocobo license. Whatever, I did it and it felt great. After all that I realized something: I had no money and I couldn't get back without losing a level. Basically I was stuck in the city. So, I did what any self-respecting tarutaru would do. I sold flowers from a flower vendor for scraps of gil. I think it took me another 2 days before I made enough to rent a chocobo to return home. It was an insane journey, but I came back with the power to ride the golden birds. Worth it.
Why didn't you take the airship? I forget if that was an unlock as well. Those ran to the 3 starters right? Or only to the mithra homeland? It's been too long.
It was so bad ass how you had to actually wait real time. People fishing up mobs so you had to stay indoors if you weren't leveled enough or a solo BLM like me.
And Christ gil was in short supply playing the AH was the only hopes of real cash. I even bought gil once cuz I was hardup.

Instances and instant gratification killed MMOs

Jeiiya

Why didn't you take the airship? I forget if that was an unlock as well. Those ran to the 3 starters right? Or only to the mithra homeland? It's been too long.
It was so bad ass how you had to actually wait real time. People fishing up mobs so you had to stay indoors if you weren't leveled enough or a solo BLM like me.
And Christ gil was in short supply playing the AH was the only hopes of real cash. I even bought gil once cuz I was hardup.

Instances and instant gratification killed MMOs

I didn't have to gil or the rank to buy the airship pass. I think it was something like over a 100k at the time plus you had to be rank 5 with your country. Both of those things I did not have lol

Honestly, all MMOs should have more outdoor content for raids and parties. There should be an equal amount of instanced raids and outdoor world bosses in complex labyrinths for anyone to just walk up to.

Last edited:

Halo0629

Eventhough final fantasy is a different game every sequel but I feel like the series really needs a back to basic reboot. I can say that bravely default and octopath was a good step in the right direction for square but sadly with how good ff xv sold the next game would probably still be closer to ff xv gameplaywise.

I didn't have to gil or the rank to buy the airship pass. I think it was something like over a 100k at the time plus you had to be rank 5 with your country. Both of those things I did not have lol

Honestly, all MMOs should have more outdoor content for raids and parties. There should be an equal amount of instanced raids and outdoor world bosses in complex labyrinths for anyone to just walk up to.
That might of been when I bought the girl. I only did it once but I remember it being for an amount I couldn't imagine ever making.
That shit was easy they added you to party then second later were right next to you doing trade.
I don't agree with currency selling but shit that game was tight fisted with it.

I remember my main hustle was selling stacks of some type of fish I caught in San doria the ones you trade 1000 or something for the best rod at time. I sat there all day fishing and 1 guy would swing by every 2 hours to buy them off me

Last edited:

ilfait

Haven't played any of them past XII. I probably will some day, but consensus and the look of them doesn't fill me with optimism. I thought that the demo of the most recent one was pretty good though.

VI and VIII are the best in the series, though I haven't played V, or the NES games.

Last edited:
Haven't played any of them past XII. I probably will some day, but consensus and the look of them doesn't fill me with optimism. I thought that the demo of the most recent one was pretty good though.

VI and VIII are the best in the series, though I haven't played V.
What's a good way to actually enjoy 8? I had owned the game since release and never got past disc 1. They dump tons of shit on you I never fully understood and I heard there's a better way than drawing every battle to get the magic but I never saw any mention in game. I hate having to resort to walk throughs.

The junction system is honestly the most confusing convaluted shit I've ever seen. The story seemed good of what little I saw.

And I tried playing it like 5 times seriously and every time it turned to 'fuck this'

Last edited:

ilfait

What's a good way to actually enjoy 8? I had owned the game since release and never got past disc 1. They dump tons of shit on you I never fully understood and I heard there's a better way than drawing every battle to get the magic but I never saw any mention in game. I hate having to resort to walk throughs.

The junction system is honestly the most confusing convaluted shit I've ever seen. The story seemed good of what little I saw
It's been a long time, but I don't think I had any special method to loving it, except I guess not using summons unless I really had to since the cutscenes became tedious.

There might be some way to lessen your issues with it, but I've never gone deep with any JRPG's battle system and I've never read any tips on how to play them, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. But I just played it the same way I play every JRPG; no grinding, no completionism or worrying about good/bad endings or finding hidden characters, easter eggs etc. If the atmosphere, music and characters are really good I get into it, and if they're not I drop it.

From what I remember junctioning was just attaching the magic you collected to your equipment to make it stronger, and it'll show you how much a certain type of magic improves a certain item. I don't think there was anything more to it than that but I could be wrong.

Allandor

FF9 was the last true final fantasy game. 10 was good too but had a forgettable cast. Now it just feels like cannon fodder.
I'm on your side ^^.
FF 9 was the last FF to explore the whole damn world. With FFX this was totally dropped, it still was somehow good but than FFX-2 came and FFXII which really didn't get me.
Lost Odyssey was the better FF on last gen consoles but it also lacked a really explorable world-map (only in the water). FFXIII wasn't that bad, but far to linear and storywise … well not the best but also not the worst. FFXIII-2/3 … really I don't want to comment on them.
FFXV well .. I played through the game but never had fun with this kind of game. To much button smashing, no summons to speak of, the magic system was almost not existing … to action orientated. And the story … was there any "logical" story to speak of? The characters could have all died and I wouldn't mind it. And the "buy the movie to get more about the story"-thing is really a bad to start with. Yes, story can be expanded through DLCs, movies etc, but there was no story to speak of. If you only play the game, nothing really makes sense.

They should just remaster all the Old FF games like they did for the Nintendo DS (FF III (the real 3) and IV) and release them for the current consoles. I would buy them instantly. I really miss those good old games with their ATB systems.
FF games never needed the best graphics, they lived from atmosphere, story, characters, exploration and slight gameplay. I really don't know why this all head to evolve to action, action, action and some nice AAA graphics.

Whitecrow

Banned
I'd say it is in an interesting place right now. XV (Just like XIII) suffered from having to develop a new engine for a new platform.
Now that Luminous Studio is mostly built, or in an advanced state at least, the development of next FFs will be able to focus more on the narrative/gameplay departments.

The market has definitely changed since the PSone era of Final Fantasy games, RPG's have become far more popular over the years vs when Final Fantasy VII arguably made RPG's mainstream. For me personally I loved FFXV, there were definitely parts in the game that weren't as fluid as other parts, the linear parts dragged the game down but in my opinion it was a big step in the right direction in taking the series back to the right direction but modernizing it for this gen. It'll be interesting to see how the next entry works out to see if they can build off of what they really got right in XV.

bufkus

relax. most likely its just a one year exclusive like most "exclusive" 3rd party games.

also i find it hilarious that people are clamoring for octopath traveller as an FF-replacement. octopath traveller plays NOTHING like old-school FF. it's more of a spiritual cousin to SaGa than anything else. so if you didn't like the SaGa games, you won't like Octopath Traveller.

Last edited:

Dr. Buni

Not interested in games such as FFXIV and VII never did much to me, so I will pass on the remake.

I did enjoy Bravely Default though, shame Second was so disappointing (average music, filled with cringey fanservice, poor story). I might buy Octopath even though I avoid buying games on Switch aside from multiplayer titles such as Splatoon 2.

BANGS

Banned
Apathy pretty much. Never could get into the FF series, even though I tried a couple times. Just not my style...

Top of the line RPGs with crap story? I think you missed out on what the point of an RPG is.

Bud, I think that like 95% of all RPGs have crap story so that would not be criteria for me on what makes a good RPG. As for "the point of an RPG" if you're about to tell me it's story then I'd love to point out a ton of games that have good story that aren't RPGs. If you ask me, going to RPGs to get good story is an awful idea since you're guaranteed to have cliched characters with the same cliched backgrounds going through the same "We can win if we stick together!" realizations in every game. Yes, there's exceptions but those are few and far between.

So, no, I don't play games "for the story" so, when judged on the merits of actual gameplay (games are meant to be played, sorry) then I'd still put FF games above many of its fellow RPGs on the market for the reasons already stated.

The only FF game that I thought got away from that is FF13 which focused on a linear approach to give us a more refined story...only problem was the story was as bad as any other RPG AND we now had a linear game with virtually no extra content outside of fights with reskinned bosses. At least they learned their lesson with FF13-2 and the games that followed.

Oh I agree that or ff9 is totally what I loved about FF high fantasy, a bit of a children's story book. Very whimsical as you say.

Agreed. The "light" feel of FF9 really did feel like an RPG throwback and it was refreshing. Feels like every game since has tried to be so damn serious. Even worse, it's supposed to be 15-18 year olds as the main characters...if I saw kids that age who acted that serious, I'd get them a shrink. But, of course, FF is far from the only franchise with annoying brooding emo teenagers...that's a JRPG epidemic.

Bud, I think that like 95% of all RPGs have crap story so that would not be criteria for me on what makes a good RPG. As for "the point of an RPG" if you're about to tell me it's story then I'd love to point out a ton of games that have good story that aren't RPGs. If you ask me, going to RPGs to get good story is an awful idea since you're guaranteed to have cliched characters with the same cliched backgrounds going through the same "We can win if we stick together!" realizations in every game. Yes, there's exceptions but those are few and far between.

So, no, I don't play games "for the story" so, when judged on the merits of actual gameplay (games are meant to be played, sorry) then I'd still put FF games above many of its fellow RPGs on the market for the reasons already stated.

The only FF game that I thought got away from that is FF13 which focused on a linear approach to give us a more refined story...only problem was the story was as bad as any other RPG AND we now had a linear game with virtually no extra content outside of fights with reskinned bosses. At least they learned their lesson with FF13-2 and the games that followed.

Agreed. The "light" feel of FF9 really did feel like an RPG throwback and it was refreshing. Feels like every game since has tried to be so damn serious. Even worse, it's supposed to be 15-18 year olds as the main characters...if I saw kids that age who acted that serious, I'd get them a shrink. But, of course, FF is far from the only franchise with annoying brooding emo teenagers...that's a JRPG epidemic.
If you're talking strictly JRPG then sure. They're stories are mostly all crap.
German RPGs gothic, divine divinity, drakengard and so on. Great stories.

I want X-3
Ffuck no. I returned ffx2 after the first battle. The guy at eb took the game back not as used. Ahh the good old days. He said that was happening all day.
Idk if it was supposed to cater to girls my gf at the time favorite rpgs were ffx and skies of arcadia. Her jaw was open thinking wtf is this b.s. just as much as me

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
relax. most likely its just a one year exclusive like most "exclusive" 3rd party games.

also i find it hilarious that people are clamoring for octopath traveller as an FF-replacement. octopath traveller plays NOTHING like old-school FF. it's more of a spiritual cousin to SaGa than anything else. so if you didn't like the SaGa games, you won't like Octopath Traveller.

Interesting, I did not like the Saga games. Just going by what a poster said here about OT being similar to golden age square efforts. I just want them to do epic 2D on a modern console that isn't Nintendo's.

wipeout364

I used to love them but I find if I’m going to dedicate the time to a big RPG I like to have a good story which Final Fantasy has been lacking. This may be that I am not Japanese and can’t appreciate what they are doing but regardless I prefer Bethesda, Obsidian’s, Larian, and even Bioware’s output the last few years to their Japanese counterparts. This is a total 180 from what I played in the PS1, PS2 and even early PS3 eras

I never played no saga games. How is it not like classic FF? Just has tons jobs like FFT and the gimmick of the battle system is a bit different. It plays just like classic FF. The battles were harder I actually died to things and just attacking never worked hardly. So if that's what you miss about classic FF then BD nor Octopath will probably be for you

I personally more hype for DQXI than FF7 Remake.
Yup yup. I'm getting a used ps4 after ps5 launches just for dq11, and some other games but mostly 11..

I need to get a new TV before then and figure out how to wall mount since my walls are hallow. I love dq.

Can you tell me which dq had a DS rerelease and your a kid in beginning with your dad sailing around then few hours in you're an adult. I think it was 5 That one was my favorite played it second after 8. Loved 8 bought it for the ff12 demo the demo sucked but my god I wasn't expecting to fall in love with a series I hadn't heard of already at 8

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

Ffuck no. I returned ffx2 after the first battle. The guy at eb took the game back not as used. Ahh the good old days. He said that was happening all day.
Idk if it was supposed to cater to girls my gf at the time favorite rpgs were ffx and skies of arcadia. Her jaw was open thinking wtf is this b.s. just as much as me
Wew, i can say i understand your feeling, but u should try it 1 more time. The gameplay of FFX-2 was great, even i dont like girl party but i'm still enjoy it .

sephiroth7x

I have gone away and thought about this a lot since I saw this thread originally. I just returned to FFXV after dropping it in chapter 8 because I just couldn't gel with it anymore... (Truth be told, I purchased the soundtrack and had a few songs on repeat that dragged me back into the world) and finished the game. (For the record, it might be my tastes in games at the moment, but I thoroughly enjoyed the game once it had streamlined itself and focussed on the story instead of wanting to be open world. I agree, its completely disjointed but I would go as far to say that from the moment you meet a particular serpent in Altissa, the game felt more like an FF game... anyway I digress).

So, where do I feel FF stands now?

I genuinely believe FF is stuck in between wanting to be appealing to all the fans that have made it the series it is, and gathering new fans. I feel sorry for the series in a way, as it is having to evolve when older fans don't want it to. I remember when I started playing FFVI (FFIII US Import) when I was younger, and even then, fans were slating the random battles... "We don't want them, they are rubbish... totally breaking immersion etc."... and Square were hounded for years over it, until they gave in, and now these same people slate them for changing.

Final Fantasy should be whatever RPG Square or their teams want to make. It should have hallmarks of other FF games (crystals, names, themes, ideologies etc.) but think of all the other 'long running series' not just in games but movies and books. James Bond has evolved, we have our favourite movies/actors but the general feel is the same. Looking at Zelda, the games have not changed much and yet it won GOTY last year. The beauty of these series is that they all retain their core beliefs and aims while tweaking here and there... not much has changed in these series so why is FF trying to appease everyone?

I have fallen more and more out of love with FF since they introduced voice acting, not because I have anything against it, but I feel as a Japanese company, they have a vision of how the game should play out, and it ties in with how Japanese filming/anime is portrayed which as a Westerner feels somehow... off... it follows different traits which are completely foreign. Something which was far less noticeable when characters couldn't talk or be directed due to hardware limitations.

So for me? I feel Final Fantasy is stuck trying to please everyone. I feel the company could do with having a Final Fantasy chief who oversees the series as a whole (Y'know, someone like Sakaguchi? - because lets not kid ourselves here and say that since he left the series has gone downhill) but has different directors working underneath who make the game they want while staying within certain constraints.

Hey... it works for Marvel!

Right, that's my rant for the day!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I have gone away and thought about this a lot since I saw this thread originally. I just returned to FFXV after dropping it in chapter 8 because I just couldn't gel with it anymore... (Truth be told, I purchased the soundtrack and had a few songs on repeat that dragged me back into the world) and finished the game. (For the record, it might be my tastes in games at the moment, but I thoroughly enjoyed the game once it had streamlined itself and focussed on the story instead of wanting to be open world. I agree, its completely disjointed but I would go as far to say that from the moment you meet a particular serpent in Altissa, the game felt more like an FF game... anyway I digress).

So, where do I feel FF stands now?

I genuinely believe FF is stuck in between wanting to be appealing to all the fans that have made it the series it is, and gathering new fans. I feel sorry for the series in a way, as it is having to evolve when older fans don't want it to. I remember when I started playing FFVI (FFIII US Import) when I was younger, and even then, fans were slating the random battles... "We don't want them, they are rubbish... totally breaking immersion etc."... and Square were hounded for years over it, until they gave in, and now these same people slate them for changing.

Final Fantasy should be whatever RPG Square or their teams want to make. It should have hallmarks of other FF games (crystals, names, themes, ideologies etc.) but think of all the other 'long running series' not just in games but movies and books. James Bond has evolved, we have our favourite movies/actors but the general feel is the same. Looking at Zelda, the games have not changed much and yet it won GOTY last year. The beauty of these series is that they all retain their core beliefs and aims while tweaking here and there... not much has changed in these series so why is FF trying to appease everyone?

I have fallen more and more out of love with FF since they introduced voice acting, not because I have anything against it, but I feel as a Japanese company, they have a vision of how the game should play out, and it ties in with how Japanese filming/anime is portrayed which as a Westerner feels somehow... off... it follows different traits which are completely foreign. Something which was far less noticeable when characters couldn't talk or be directed due to hardware limitations.

So for me? I feel Final Fantasy is stuck trying to please everyone. I feel the company could do with having a Final Fantasy chief who oversees the series as a whole (Y'know, someone like Sakaguchi? - because lets not kid ourselves here and say that since he left the series has gone downhill) but has different directors working underneath who make the game they want while staying within certain constraints.

Hey... it works for Marvel!

Right, that's my rant for the day!

I am curious, you mention that since voice acting (10 onwards), you grew more disillusioned with the franchise. Outside of XIII and its subseries which seems to be universally despised (and for good reason), that leaves X, XI, XII, XIV, and XV. What exactly did you not care for about these?

For me, I enjoyed most of them - but there were some glaring issues like the linearity of X, the overly complex and oldschool MMO design of XI, the short campaign and poor pacing of XII, and the rushed XV. However, some of them (in particular XI and XIV) still have that old school Final Fantasy charm that made me love the franchise to begin with.

Also, have you by chance played any of the Bravely series? I feel that it hits that old school FInal Fantasy itch something fierce (and they were originally spinoffs based on the 4 Heroes of Light DS game).

After realizing FFXV still isn't finished, I have postponed playing it. I enjoyed the 2 hours I played though. But as far as the series, I'm not sure. I'm pretty excited for the FFVII Remake, but who knows when that's coming. Maybe we will be reinvigorated with the series after some E3 surprises.

Top Bottom