• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your top 3 Pink Floyd songs?

TrainedRage

Banned
#1 Song: Echoes
Album: Meddle

#2 Song: Any Colour You Like
Album: Dark Side Of The Moon

#3 Song: Welcome To The Machine
Album: Wish You Were Here

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
I dont know if I could list three...it seems to small..

But my all time fave..

Dark Star

Pink Floyd is easily one of those bands who made flawless, masterpiece records...you just press play and listen to the whole album. IMO, the best way to listen to Pink Floyd.

my favorite tracks on their own :

comfortably numb
shine on you crazy diamond
wish you were here (or hey you)

they have many tracks that would easily make a top 10 list, like :

Jugband Blues
Welcome to the Machine
Money
Interstellar Overdrive
Another Brick in the Wall
High Hopes (or learning to fly)
Echoes
Brain Damage/Eclipse

Last edited:

DiscoJer

Strangely, all three would be from A Momentary Lapse of Reason. I have all their albums, but that's the only one I still listen to, 30 years later.

Terminal Frost (has basically been my favorite song since I heard it)

Sorrow (which I always liked, but now I really like, his best guitar solo, even better than Comfortable Numb)

One Slip (from where the title of the album comes). Objectively, it's not a great song, but I've always liked the lyrics a lot

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict.

But seriously,

Dogs
Have a Cigar
Time

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
1. The first 20 minutes of The Wall
2. Animals in its entirety
3. Comfortably Numb / Money

I honestly don't think I've listened to much Floyd as individual songs, so there's my copout answer.

Catphish

Jesus, I'd have a hard time picking the top 3 albums, much less the top 3 songs, but here goes...

3. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (all parts together)
2. Money
1. Echoes

I don't know about top 3, but I always come back to High Hopes. Something about that one is just magical to me.

Late edit: I forgot to mention that High Hopes has one of my favorite lines from any song ever - "Encumbered forever by desire and ambition, there's a hunger still unsatisfied." Such a beautiful and insightful lyric.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I mean, those are good songs, but, their top 3?

yes? these are my favorite songs.

"See Emily Play" bc it hits that interstellar British garage rock meets futuristic pop single feels later perfected by folks like David Bowie
"Lucifer Sam" bc i love that surf riff, the swirly space stuff, the lyrics, etc. if i could only pick one from Piper that would be it
"Nobody Home" bc i love the chord structure, it reminds me of Neil Young's "Motion Pictures", just blasted-out-wasted-in-a-room. plus i love the lyric "I got thirteen channels of shit on the tv to choose from" i feels like some proto Flaming Lips

i love both Syd and post Syd Floyd. i prefer Syd but i'll rock out to Obscured by Clouds or The Wall any day. PF RULES!

Catphish

yes? these are my favorite songs.

"See Emily Play" bc it hits that interstellar British garage rock meets futuristic pop single feels later perfected by folks like David Bowie
"Lucifer Sam" bc i love that surf riff, the swirly space stuff, the lyrics, etc. if i could only pick one from Piper that would be it
"Nobody Home" bc i love the chord structure, it reminds me of Neil Young's "Motion Pictures", just blasted-out-wasted-in-a-room. plus i love the lyric "I got thirteen channels of shit on the tv to choose from" i feels like some proto Flaming Lips

i love both Syd and post Syd Floyd. i prefer Syd but i'll rock out to Obscured by Clouds or The Wall any day. PF RULES!
Right on. I appreciate the explanation. :)

TrainedRage

Banned
Strangely, all three would be from A Momentary Lapse of Reason. I have all their albums, but that's the only one I still listen to, 30 years later.

Terminal Frost (has basically been my favorite song since I heard it)

Sorrow (which I always liked, but now I really like, his best guitar solo, even better than Comfortable Numb)

One Slip (from where the title of the album comes). Objectively, it's not a great song, but I've always liked the lyrics a lot
It took me a long while to appreciate that album. Underrated.

Kinda like this song....

I bought Atom Heart Mother too young :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

dopey

'Wish You Were Here' is my number one, but I can't really pick a second and third, so many great ones.

But since I was just listening to them, here are my top three Uriah Heep tracks:

Time to Live
Lady in Black
Salisbury

Last edited:

-hal-

That depends on which one is currently stuck in my head.

Like others, I feel narrowing it down to three is nearly impossible as I find it difficult to only listen to individual songs and not the entire album. But....

- Dogs
This one has it all. Lyrically sharp, musically inventive, mood.

- Comfortably Numb
If for nothing other than that guitar solo. The best part is that as the song ends in a fade of the lengthy guitar solo, you get the feeling that Gilmour could go on for another ten minutes and still blow your mind.

- Time
From the opening chimes and clocks that blend perfectly into Wright's world beat rototoms to some of Gilmour's finest rock vocals and blistering guitar, tumbling to a mystically peaceful ending. Waters does not disappoint with the lyrics, telling the tale of life passing you by in a way that really hits home.

TrainedRage

Banned
Found the music video....

Side note.... I remember being in 8th grade. I went over to my friends house. He was like, 'do you like Pink Floyd'? I had only heard Dark Side at that point but I was like, 'hell yeah'.
He took out a VHS and said, "this is their album 'The Wall'".

He popped it on. After a while I was thinking 'what does Pink Floyd have to do with this video'?

Then this......

I have never known fear like this since. I don't even think I was high. I kept thinking *this isn't Pink Floyd this is scary, this isn't that band I like*
…. Now im like......

pink-floyd-the-wall_4.jpg

Thanks Pink Floyd.

Catphish

Side note.... I remember being in 8th grade. I went over to my friends house. He was like, 'do you like Pink Floyd'? I had only heard Dark Side at that point but I was like, 'hell yeah'.

He popped it on. After a while I was thinking 'what does Pink Floyd have to do with this video'?

Then this......

I have never known fear like this since. I don't even think I was high. I kept thinking *this isn't Pink Floyd this is scary, this isn't that band I like*
…. Now im like......

Thanks Pink Floyd.

Follow the worms, baby. 👍

Catphish

Then this......

…. Now im like......

Thanks Pink Floyd.

Honestly, it had the same effect on me. Saw it for the first time on my 17th birthday, with a bunch of my stoner friends, at a stoner chick's house, whose stoner dad had a quadraphonic VHS setup kicking.

We were blazed beyond my personal precedent, and that movie landed on my young mind like a nuclear fucking warhead. 👍

TrainedRage

Banned
Honestly, it had the same effect on me. Saw it for the first time on my 17th birthday, with a bunch of my stoner friends, at a stoner chick's house, whose stoner dad had a quadraphonic VHS setup kicking.

We were blazed beyond my personal precedent, and that movie landed on my young mind like a nuclear fucking warhead. 👍
Well said. :messenger_anxious:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
2. Dogs
3. Welcome to the Machine
4. (BONUS) Obscured by Clouds

5. (BONUS BONUS) Gold it's in the?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

always liked this song, i first heard The Flaming Lips covering it during a soundcheck. kind of fucked up lyrics, very narcotic sounds, almost like Spiritualized or something.

Last edited:
Pink Floyd is to music what Socrates is to Philosophy. Asking me to pick my favorite 3 songs is such a sadistic request, I cannot possibly live up to that question. They have so many great songs, it all depends on what point in life you are. Over the years I've found myself coming back to different songs, each one encapsulating my current state of mind. So here are my top 10 in no particular order:

When society makes me feel like a cog in the machine, merely there to function... Welcome to the Machine

When all the pain and misery in the world becomes too much to bear and you need a little comfort... On the turning away

When the going gets tough and I feel like throwing in the towel... Fearless

When you just want to take it easy... San Tropez

When existentialism hits you hard and you just want to crawl back from where you came from... Embryo

When you're f*cking disgusted by human greed and materialism... Pigs

When sipping my coffee watching the world destroying itself through my window... Money

When you're angry at society and the ignorance of mankind... Dogs

When I just want to hear the most passionate guitar solo in the history of mankind... Comfortably Numb

When you just want to ascend to melody heaven on a cloud of music... Echoes

And lastly, when I just want to experience the essence of music, putting on my headphones, receding into my chair and close my eyes fading away from a busy day... Shine on you crazy diamond

Yeah I know it's 11 songs, but screw it, I can't bring it over me to leave one out. So deal with it :messenger_sunglasses:

Edit: Dammit, I can't leave this one out... Wish you were here

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
I can't really pick a top three, so just picking three of my favorites at random;

Dogs
Fearless
Wish You Were Here

Kagey K

Banned
I have a hard time picking 3, so I’ll just pick my top 3 from The Wall

Comfortably Numb
Young Lust
Goodbye Blue Sky

Last edited:
Top Bottom