• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your top 5 remasters/remakes? Your Worst?

SinDelta

Top 5 for me-

1 - Chrono Trigger DS
2 - Ocarina of Time 3DS
3 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
4 - Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition -
5 - Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition

Honorable Mention -
Age of Empires Definitive Edition
Dragon's Crown Pro
Final Fantasy 12 The Zodiac Age
Homeworld Remastered
Skies of Arcadia Legends

Note - Demon Souls remake looks incredible, but alas I do not have a PS5 to see for myself.

Worst for me-

1 - Age of Empires 3 Definitive Edition

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FFVII Remake, Demon’s Souls, Shadow of the Colossus and Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3). Good lord, these games.

edit: uh... REmake as well, of course.

Last edited:

stranno

Among the worst, I'd say:

- Transport Tycoon: Biggest piece of crap I have ever seen on Google Play, and thats a lot. Even more when OpenTTD was available many years before.
- Final Fantasy VI: Crazy art direction, to say the least. Awful new sprites, mixed with terrible mobile UI, mixed with untouched backgrounds, mixed with stupid 4-polygons 3D elements (like cities on the world map).
- Killzone HD: Pretty much an untouched game aside the resolution and loading screens. Performance is much better than on Playstation 2, but still FAR from perfect, especially the sniper scope.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
TLOU remastered
Demon's Souls PS5
Control Ultimate
Gravity Rush Remastered
FF7 Remake
Shadow of the Colossus
RE2 Remake
RE3 Remake

Last edited:

FR1908

Neo Member
Random order:
Master Chief Collection on One X / Series X (One version excluded) - Best Remasters
Resident Evil – Remake
Resident Evil 2 – Remake
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker – Remake

Worst:
Secret of Mana – Maybe it's bug free these days, but at launch it was the worst experience I had with a day-one retail game.

Mokus

Winner - StarCraft - PC

1 - Okami - PS3
2 - Demon's Souls - PS5
3 - Sly trilogy - PS3
4 - Chrono Trigger - DS
5 - Persona 4 Gold - PS Vita

GuinGuin

Banned
Worst would be Saga Frontier. I didn't play the remake because the original game was probably the most boring and awful RPG I've played in my life. Prettier graphics won't fix that.

IKSTUGA

1. NieR Replicant (2021)
2. Demon's Souls (2020)
3. Resident Evil 2 (2019)
4. Final Fantasy VII Remake (2020)
5. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 (2020)

There have been some excellent remakes/remasters in the past few years.

Last edited:

SecularIX

Banned
GTA IV on my Series S looks absolutely awful and is an eyesore, due to the terrible blur of the street pavement.

And no, it does not go away no matter how much I play around with the graphics settings.

Tschumi

Warcraft 3 a doozy?
Apparently Rome Total War remake uses a mobile UI
No age of empires 2 remake had the immaculate coding and performance of the og ensemble studios versions

Hmm don't have much to offer on this stuff...

Last edited:

rahuljx

1. FF7 Remake - Ive always liked 7 but it was never my favourite. In this for me they nailed the balance of the new and old. If they maintain what they achieved with this it could become my favourite in the series.
2. REmake - Was blown away when I saw this on the Gamecube. The graphics were out of this world.
3. Shadow of the Colossus remake - For the PS2 version I just went from boss to boss but here I also enjoyed the quiet environments even though they dont really reward exploration.
4. FF12 Zodiac - Truly felt like a different game playing with the jobs. Would spend hours tweaking my gambits.
5. FF4 DS - This game was so hard but got me through a tough time in my life

Honorable mentions
DQ4 and DQ5 on the DS. A fresh coat of paint for already great games. The remake was much needed for DQ4.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

1. REmake
2. REmake 2
3. MGS Twin Snakes
4. Shadow of the Colossus (the remake, not the remaster)
5. Metroid Zero Mission

I'm sure I'm overlooking some games, but when it comes down to it I'll value a remake over a remaster all day although funnily enough REmake these days is a Remaster of a Remake which amuses me.

Some games like TLOU1 benefitted from a remaster massively so I'd just like to point out some of these were really well done and enhanced the base game.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
1. Classic WoW, for all its faults, it was still overall positive
2. THPS
3. Spyro
4. Crash & CTR
5. RE2

Off the top of my head.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Some of the best:

- Resident Evil 2
- DS/3DS Dragon Quest, except maybe 8
- Tomb Raider Anniversary
- Doom 2016
- Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth

Worst:
- Metroid Zero Mission (flame shield, activate!)

Mr Hyde

Demon's Souls
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Shadow of the Colossus
Trials of Mana

Haven't played Nier Replicant yet, but I reckon it would be on the list if I had. Looks so good.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Best -

Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Shadow of the Colossus
The Last of Us Remastered
Demon Souls
Resident Evil

Worst -

Crysis Remastered
Ghostbusters Remastered
Mafia 1&2 Definitive Edition

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My favourites.
nier-replicant-ver-1-22474487139-cover.cover_large.jpg
Odin-Sphere-Leifthrasir-PS4.jpg
3max.jpg
81csWlTw4bL._SX342_.jpg
FFVIIR_PS4_2D.jpg
resident-evil-2-remake.jpg
81c0hOar7aL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81QoNRp5%2BWL._SX342_.jpg
5186ZRBQTWL._AC_SY445_.jpg
82321_front.jpg
81XTUUbY8KL._AC_SL1476_.jpg
81BgoNw%2BWuL._SL1500_.jpg
61QFqxv1N5L._AC_SX342_.jpg
81utonjQj6L._AC_SX342_.jpg
81ATQpwVH0L._SL1500_.jpg
816CDZPqTyL._AC_SL1471_.jpg

Last edited:

Auronite76

Neo Member
1. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
2. Resident Evil HD Remaster
3. Yakuza Kiwami 2
4. Final Fantasy VII Remake
5. The Last of Us Remastered

Worst is easily Final Fantasy VIII Remaster

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Resident Evil 1 Remake
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Ratchet and Clank
Tony Hawk 1+2 Remaster

There are some I still need to play and I don't really consider TLOU on PS4 a real remaster..

GuinGuin

Banned
Resident Evil 1 Remake
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Ratchet and Clank
Tony Hawk 1+2 Remaster

There are some I still need to play and I don't really consider TLOU on PS4 a real remaster..

Why not? It's a huge upgrade.

Beardsalt

FF7 Remake
Demon Souls
Shadow of the Colossus
RE2+3 Remakes
RE1

I don’t know if they count but the remasters of Dark Souls 1+2

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Not going to make a list, but as a clever re-imagining, Goldeneye 007 (Wii) was pretty fantastic. It went back to the book's source material to revamp the plot structure, and then swapped in Daniel Craig along with shifting towards the different tone of his films rather than the goofier Brosnan aesthetic, all while revisiting some of the memorable locations like the opening level in a new way.

In order:
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil (HD remaster of the remake, lol)
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Resident Evil 3
Wind Waker Wii U

A couple of my least favorites:
SoulCalibur 2 HD -- omits the Japanese voices for the characters. That's a big sin.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix -- truly disgusting art style, no 3P/3K button mapping, stages were perma-locked in "HD" mode (you couldn't revert the stages back to their pixel versions, so the pixel character models against the HD backgrounds was even more jarring than just having the HD ugly ass character models.

Last edited:
Best:
  • Trials of Mana
  • Tales of Destiny R
  • Link's Awakening Switch
  • Hyrule Warriors DE
  • Chrono trigger DS
Worst:
  • Tales of Hearts R (good 2D > ugly 3D, and the "localisation" is straight up awful)
  • Tales of Symphonia PS2 (ugly and with half the fps, unwarranted nerfs, and a useless dungeon and some hi-ougi to compensate)
  • Warcraft 3 Refunded

kunonabi

Worst:
Silent Hill HD Collection
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Resident Evil 3
Twilight Princess
Metroid: Samus Returns

Best:
Missile Command 3D
REmake
Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth
Final Fantasy IV DS
REmake 2

Daymos

I spent a boatload of time playing 'remasters' on switch, mainly-
dragon's dogma
final fantasy 10
final fantasy 12
kingdoms of amalur
super mario all stars

Astral Dog

REmake, the standard all other remakes are compared to.

FFVIIR already a solid foundation that surpasses the outdated original game.

Ocarina 3DS, a lovely portable remaster of a classic, reminded us all over again why Ocarina of Time is amazing.

Wind Waker HD and REmake 2 honorable mention

Many wonderful remakes and collections these are only the first that came to mind 👌

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Best:

Demon's Souls
REmake
Resident Evil 2

Worst:

Maybe the Arkham rereleases? I seem to remember the lighting was off, texture was downgraded in places and other weird stuff going on. Basically, a pointless remake/remaster.

If I had to rank the favorites:
  1. FFVII remake
  2. Seiken densetsu 3 (trials of mana)
  3. Resident Evil 1+2
  4. Demon’s souls
  5. Shadow of the Colossus
And for laughs: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2, have some fun and special memories from playing this remake! 😂

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
My worst?

SH HD 'collection'.

AKA The remaster collection which didn't include SH 1 or 4 made from patched together old code after Konami 'lost' the original.

Beyond awful.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Best ones where I played the original, but I only tend to replay Nintendo games or story light games.
  1. 3D World / Bowser's Fury - The expansion made this an awesome remaster
  2. Metroid Zero Mission
  3. WindWaker WiiU
  4. Twilight Princess WiiU
  5. Ratchet and Clank? - Great freebee and It did get my hyped for Rift Apart

TexMex

REmake on GameCube set the standard for what remakes should be, and few have come close even to date.

REmake 2 is way, way up there as well.

Demons Souls and Skies of Arcadia Legends are way up there. Also love Zero Mission and want to include Link’s Awakening too. I loved how it looked and thought it was great aside from frame rate.

EDMIX

1. Resident Evil 2 remake. An amazing love letter to the original and the story fits a lot of the RE lore over the series and makes a bit more sense.
2. Resident Evil 2002 remake. Easily, the remake to end all remakes and must be stated. In a fucking text book about gaming, Resident Evil 2002 will start that chapter on remakes as prior to that, we've never seen a remake done to such a level and Capcom basically wrote the book on that concept. Resident Evil 2002 remake and its remasters are imho the best way to ever play the first Resident Evil.
3.Shadow Of The Colossus remake (really wanted to put that as number 2, but I can't stress enough the milestone that was RE2002 for remakes and for gaming in general) Bluepoint often follows that concept with remakes in terms of keeping the concept the same and changing visual elements and bringing them up to date. The game feels amazing and they were able to capture the look very well with new hardware.
4. Demon Souls remake, much like SoTC Bluepoint takes the original gameplay engine and simply changes graphical elements and focuses on the games core feel and concept, easily the best restoration team in gaming.
5. Ratchet and Clank remake, closer to a reimagining, the remake shows that Insomniac legit has the talent to remake the original 3 PS2 titles with little issue lol (maybe deadlock lol)

(Honorable mentions) Final Fantasy VII remake. I can't put it in the top 5 based on it not being a complete thing, but must be talked about for how fucking ambitious it actually is. Before people attack it for being in parts, give respect for it existing at all as to my memory, of such a massive open world JRPG, we've NEVER seen a remake to this scale. Think back about FFVII, think about the towns, airships etc..... sooooo yea, that is a lot of shit to actually develop on modern hardware that isn't a cakewalk and makes sense to do like this. So if anything, we can talk about this in the next 5 years and FFVII remake aka Complete edition would 100% be in that top 5, next to Code Veronica (lord willing)

edit. Almost forgot, the worst....easily Silent Hill Collection on PS3/360 and Street Fighter 4 port. Dear god, those ports are so fucking bad, they literally show just WHY a team like Bluepoint games is actually important.

Its not a copy and paste, its not a simply job, its not an easy task that any team can do, we clearly see what those "copy and paste" jobs actually look and play like lol

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Best:
Final Fantasy VII: Remake part one
Resident Evil REmake
Resident Evil 2 Remake
SotC

And just to be a rebel, Metal Gear Solid was essentially a Remake of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. You've got your ninja who was once an ally and now a foe, you got your Gray Fox fight, your mecha battle followed by a fight with the leader of the terrorists, a chase through a massive staircase on a high rise, a battle with four elite soldiers at once, etc etc

Honorable mention goes to Kingdom Hearts: Re: Chain of Memories, solely because I think the idea of turning a GBA game into a voiced 3D PS2 game as a bonus feature of basically Kingdom Hearts 2 director's cut was super cool.

Worst goes to the Twin Snakes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Ninja Gaiden 1 in the Master Collection is disappointing.

Did we get the definitive version on XBOX? No.
Did we at least get the PS3 version? No.
We got the PS Vita version....

kyliethicc

In terms of the quality of the remake/remaster, these are great.

Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy
Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled
Shadow of the Colossus
Demon's Souls
Marvel's Spider-man Remastered
Resident Evil 2

and now Death Stranding Director's Cut looks great.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Resident Evil Remake - It’s really a textbook example on how to do a remake, old fans of the original loved it for staying true to the game they know and love and new gamers were impressed by it as a new game. This is the best!

Link’s Awakening - How is it possible that this is originally a Gameboy game? Simply awesome both visually and gameplaywise. One of the best.

Demon’s Souls - Same exact game, gameplay and story but with an incredible visual upgrade. Masterpiece.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade - Just started playing this, just met Tifa. I’m really impressed by the production value here, like this is top notch stuff and using the same music really makes me nostalgic, they’re hitting all the buttons. But I’m not a fan of the new action, at all, I don’t understand if it wants to be DMC or what the deal is but I hate what they’ve done to a game I love. Bleh. Worst.

Last edited:

Xeaker

Top 5:
Resident Evil 1 Remake
Resident Evil 2 Remake
FF12 Zodiac Age
Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy
Pokemon HeartGold

Worst 5:
Final Fantasy 7 "Remake" Part One
FF8 (PS4/Switch Version)
Silent Hill HD
Onimusha HD
Tomb Raider (PS4)

Vagswarm

RE: thread

I had no idea Nier Replicant ver 1112244356 was a remake of the original Nier. Wow. I loved that game.

Top Bottom