• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your top 5 remasters/remakes? Your Worst?

sublimit

Banned
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Ico/Shado of the Colossus HD collection
Resident Evil Remake
Xenoblade Chronicles Remake
Dragon Quest V (DS)

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I don't play remasters or remakes because I'm no chump.

tenor.gif

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Best for me : RE1
Worst by far : Silent Hill HD Collecti... 🤮🤮

Worst:
Silent Hill HD Collection
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Resident Evil 3
Twilight Princess
Metroid: Samus Returns

Best:
Missile Command 3D
REmake
Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth
Final Fantasy IV DS
REmake 2

1. Resident Evil 2 remake. An amazing love letter to the original and the story fits a lot of the RE lore over the series and makes a bit more sense.
2. Resident Evil 2002 remake. Easily, the remake to end all remakes and must be stated. In a fucking text book about gaming, Resident Evil 2002 will start that chapter on remakes as prior to that, we've never seen a remake done to such a level and Capcom basically wrote the book on that concept. Resident Evil 2002 remake and its remasters are imho the best way to ever play the first Resident Evil.
3.Shadow Of The Colossus remake (really wanted to put that as number 2, but I can't stress enough the milestone that was RE2002 for remakes and for gaming in general) Bluepoint often follows that concept with remakes in terms of keeping the concept the same and changing visual elements and bringing them up to date. The game feels amazing and they were able to capture the look very well with new hardware.
4. Demon Souls remake, much like SoTC Bluepoint takes the original gameplay engine and simply changes graphical elements and focuses on the games core feel and concept, easily the best restoration team in gaming.
5. Ratchet and Clank remake, closer to a reimagining, the remake shows that Insomniac legit has the talent to remake the original 3 PS2 titles with little issue lol (maybe deadlock lol)

(Honorable mentions) Final Fantasy VII remake. I can't put it in the top 5 based on it not being a complete thing, but must be talked about for how fucking ambitious it actually is. Before people attack it for being in parts, give respect for it existing at all as to my memory, of such a massive open world JRPG, we've NEVER seen a remake to this scale. Think back about FFVII, think about the towns, airships etc..... sooooo yea, that is a lot of shit to actually develop on modern hardware that isn't a cakewalk and makes sense to do like this. So if anything, we can talk about this in the next 5 years and FFVII remake aka Complete edition would 100% be in that top 5, next to Code Veronica (lord willing)

edit. Almost forgot, the worst....easily Silent Hill Collection on PS3/360 and Street Fighter 4 port. Dear god, those ports are so fucking bad, they literally show just WHY a team like Bluepoint games is actually important.

Its not a copy and paste, its not a simply job, its not an easy task that any team can do, we clearly see what those "copy and paste" jobs actually look and play like lol

GeekyDad

Favorites

• Tactics Ogre PSP
  • LoZ Ocarina of Time 3DS
  • Final Fantasy III DS
  • DQ V DS
  • Samus Returns 3DS
Honorable mention: FFT War of the Lions PSP. Though the framerate and animations are quite frustrating at times, it's story and dialogue are the greatest of all time.

cireza

Banned
Best :
Wind Waker Wii U
Resident Evil Rebirth
FF X HD

Worst :
All of them

Overall I strongly dislike remakes/remasters. They feel totally pointless, and that's when they are not butchering the original game.

Last edited:

Crocwrangler

Neo Member
My worst remakes are probably Resident evil 2 Remake and Nemesis. Don't misunderstand me: the games are cool, but cutting entire parts of the games including bosses, places and a half of the episodes'enemies types was something i could not tolerate.

skit_data

1. Demon’s Souls
2. Metroid Zero Mission (More of a reimagination though)
3. Crash N. Sane Trilogy
4. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
5. Spyro Reignited Trilogy

I would name more, like SotC and THPS 1+2 but I was begging for Spyro, Crash and CTR for several years so I was really happy that they turned out so well.

Alpha Male

Demon's Souls
Halo MCC
Mass Effect Legendary
Halo Wars Definitive
Wipeout Omega

I play very few remasters and I can't really think of any for a "worst" list. I own but still have yet to play Kingdoms of Amalur or the Saints Row remasters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom