• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what, assuming you care about these sorta things, would it take for you to not buy a good game from a company?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
For me, the company would have to actively trying to injure people.

I'm ok with them having different ideas, that's totally cool, but if they are actively promoting violence I'd be out 100%.

But, as a rule, if a game is good I will give it a try.

If it's a game I'll enjoy then I'll buy it. These companies will keep making money regardless of me. No point in missing out on something I will enjoy just because of a self imposed set of restrictions.

D3SCHA1N

If EA made skate 4 I'd buy that no question, and I'm keeping my eye on Fallen Order, but other than those I generally don't buy EA games, though it's not due to any reason outside of just a lack of interest in any of their other output. I don't really blacklist a developer or publisher, it's all a game by game basis for me.

Gamerguy84

Im a huge sports fan but quit buying EA 60 dollar roster updates over a decade ago.

Also if future games are going to be designed around SJW issues I can cross those off the list.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Hideki Kamiya´s Games because the lack of respect. So i buy only used.

EA... im interesting in TitanFall 2, Mirror Edge 2 and Unravel, but EA dont deserve my money.

Online-only Games or Best experience online.

And Now Thank you to Sony and their stupidities politics of censored like always... i prefer Buy Nintendo Switch versions and not PS4 versions of the games.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Last time I bother with Street Fighter ever after SFV. Locking half the content behind dlc and season passes and replacing offline grinding with online grinding to unlock stuff was the last straw.

JimiNutz

Banned
I wouldn't buy a game from Nazis (as in, rounding up the Jews and gassing them Nazis, not Trump supporter 'Nazis')

Shifty1897

The guy who made 2064: Read Only Memories said he didn't want Trump supporters buying his game.

I don't know if I'd consider myself a Trump supporter, but I sure didn't want to buy his game after he politicized something that had no need to be politicized.

brap

Banned
The guy who made 2064: Read Only Memories said he didn't want Trump supporters buying his game.

I don't know if I'd consider myself a Trump supporter, but I sure didn't want to buy his game after he politicized something that had no need to be politicized.
>game with a million genders, pick your own pronouns, voice acting by zoe quinn and jim sterling
Most likely had a bunch of anti trump shit in the game anyway. Better not to buy that garbage.

how about if EA or whatever studio/publisher you don't like make a great game that's perfect for your taste, tight game play and graphics but with some borderline PTW microtransactions or what they did with Mortal Kombat 11 that basically forces you to grind and grind? would you still get that game?

dalekjay

if its a Free game that lives from season passes.
If its a Multiplayers online focused (and its not a fighting game)
If its a game to play endlessly (and its not a fighting game)
If its episodic

Disrespecting me as a customer, and saying anything that would needlessly alienate consumers. Make the game you want to make, but don't you dare tell me I'm wrong if I don't agree with your choices.

I don't have to miss any games to stand up for my principles, though. Used games are thankfully a thing.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Online only is an instant NO from me.

Sentenza

"Not to buy" is my default state, actually.
Companies need to convince me that a purchase is worth my time and money, not the other way around.

Right now, Epic exclusivity is a pretty big NO-NO for me, Denuvo is a lot of malus points, aggressive monetization models are a massive turn off, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Cranberrys

There's no blacklisted game or company for me. If a game appeal to me for whatever reasons, I will buy it and play it, I'm not into multiplayer (well, I'll play only coop and rarely) so I always buy games with at least a good solo Campaign or multiplayer games doable solo like The Division or Borderlands. As for microtransactions and such, if it's a game I really love like Let's say Mass Effect 2, I bought all the content, even cosmetic things like armor but it's not an habit, it depends on the game.

DanielsM

Banned
I don't buy anything from:
- Electronic Arts
- Ubisoft
- Gearbox
- most GaaS games are a no buy from any company
- Super hero bullshit from any company, I like Spider-man and Batman as super heros... I just don't get the rest of them, generally speaking, although if someone could make a good Hellboy that might be good.
- Anime games from any company

It just happens that I don't like their (EA, Ubisoft, Gearbox) games so it makes it easy.

I would probably buy a Microsoft game, if they actually made them as long as its on my system of choice, and would never buy on their "platform". Same goes for Nintendo, mostly junk hardware/software to me although the Switch is decent, the only thing I ever liked of Nintendo's is Mario Kart and Zelda, generally speaking.

Last edited:
If the game is good wouldn't you want to encourage them in doing more like it? I mean, if they're selling as much, or more of their "bad" games wouldn't they stop making the effort?

harry04

I don't blacklist any company. I judge by individual games.

If a company, which is famous for launching games stuffed with micro transactions, pay to win mechanics, bugs and broken gameplay, make a good game without any of these things, I buy it. If not, I continue to ignore it.
good point

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Online enforcement is basically the only thing that would keep me away from a game I otherwise want and can afford.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
If the game is good, chances are that I'll buy.

Everyone knows Todd Howard's lies, but I'm don't hate Bethesda, just his games. You know that EA is horrible, but the new Star Wars game looks amazing. You also know that Rockstar is harsh with his employes, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is a damn great game.

I guess that if you see through just the hate point of view of every company in the world, you will want to live in the woods.

Ulysses 31

Too much microtransactions spam in-game.
Progress unlocking system designed to push you towards making microtransactions.

johntown

Banned
Microtransactions and politics. Just keep them out of gaming. MTX won't do it by itself but that combined with forced political issues in games will keep me away. Pretty much most of EA's games.

- although if someone could make a good Hellboy that might be good.
- Anime games from any company

I imagine if they do something similar to Darksiders, a Hellboy game can definitely work.

and by anime games, do you mean anime style games or games base on anime like Dragonball/Naruto?

If the game is good wouldn't you want to encourage them in doing more like it? I mean, if they're selling as much, or more of their "bad" games wouldn't they stop making the effort?

I think the flip side of it is that if you buy a "good game" with stuff like PTW microtransactions/loot boxes/unfinished content on release/shitty exclusive deals/whatever trash practice you can think of, you're encouraging the company to keep doing it.

Hinedorf

Banned
My immediate thought was NOTHING! There isn't a single game I wont try!

And then I remember that Shower with your Dad simulator on Steam.....

Ya that

I think the flip side of it is that if you buy a "good game" with stuff like PTW microtransactions/loot boxes/unfinished content on release/shitty exclusive deals/whatever trash practice you can think of, you're encouraging the company to keep doing it.
I assume "PTW" means part of the world?
I don't buy these games, but I have no problems with publishers selling extra shapters/levels, or other contents after the game is released, however I used to buy fighting games and play them to unlock stuff (characters, costumes, etc.) but since they moved most of that stuff into DLC I have not bought any (which means for over 10 years), they're useless to me as time wasters if I can't waste time in them, and gain something.

I don't play multi player, so yeah... lootboxes have not affected me yet, but I would probably steer clear of any game that has that kind of mechanic (I mean, how would you react if your opponent could buy more queens when playing chess?)

I also don't see exclusivity deals as an evil business practice, or even a bad one, this is part of having multiple platforms competing for our attention, and well you should not expect everything to be available on all publishing platforms everywhere all the time.

Myths

This is essentially asking what companies do you avoid because of repulsive or egregious business practices; yet, still, if the game is solid then what can break it?

I assume "PTW" means part of the world?
I don't buy these games, but I have no problems with publishers selling extra shapters/levels, or other contents after the game is released, however I used to buy fighting games and play them to unlock stuff (characters, costumes, etc.) but since they moved most of that stuff into DLC I have not bought any (which means for over 10 years), they're useless to me as time wasters if I can't waste time in them, and gain something.

I don't play multi player, so yeah... lootboxes have not affected me yet, but I would probably steer clear of any game that has that kind of mechanic (I mean, how would you react if your opponent could buy more queens when playing chess?)

I also don't see exclusivity deals as an evil business practice, or even a bad one, this is part of having multiple platforms competing for our attention, and well you should not expect everything to be available on all publishing platforms everywhere all the time.

I mean Pay To Win with PTW, sorry if that wasn't all that clear.

for the whole exclusivity thing, I think most people's problem with it is that if a company make the game themselves or funded it, then sure thing. but in Epic's case, they are literally just throwing money at devs, in some cases crowdfunded ones who was originally promised to be on Steam along with other PC platforms like GOG and such, to be exclusively on EGS only now. that kinda behavior would never sit well with most people I think.

Top Bottom