• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What billionaires can't do (for security or other reasons) that ordinary people can?

dorkimoe

Depends who it is probably. I would recognize Bezos, Gates, Musk etc but I dont think id recognize anyone else.

They can't buy Smaller Stocks at small prices as they will end up a Majority Stakeholder so they have to hold off til the price increases.

Same with Options. They can't order more than a certain amount.

They cannot remain Anonymous with their Share Purchases either unless they buy less than 3% of the Companies.

Last edited:

Bogey

Banned
What billionaires can't do (for security or other reasons) that ordinary people can?

Enter into any personal relationship (friendship, dating, etc.) with someone who isn't a billionaire, without having to be wary whether they just want their money.

TheMan

Enter into any personal relationship (friendship, dating, etc.) with someone who isn't a billionaire, without having to be wary whether they just want their money.
i would bet this is probably the biggest thing.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Gate's personal security is insane. The Gates Foundation has those metal rods that go 20 yards into the ground surrounding it's one entrance, that no vehicle could ever go through. You can only get into the complex from one heavily guarded entrance, staffed with ex secret service/CIA/whatever qualified guards. The entrance features a 50 foot long escalator that plunges into the ground and puts anyone who enters in full view of multiple cameras w/ face detection, and there are guards hidden who can mow anyone down who is coming in hot.

But he's not just a Billionaire, he's also pissed off a lot of people all over the world w/ some of his money spending and trying to stop corruption.

Raven117

Enjoy the simple pleasures of everyday life. The freedom of anomality. The common touch with billions of other humans. The shared experience with most of the others in the world. The freedom to trust people. To feel the sting of spending money and justifying the purchase. Looking at the world where you are closer to danger, and how life pops more because of it.

The "Thrill" (not necessarily good, but bitter-sweet) of life can often be in the struggle and achievement cycle. For a billionaire, that cycle looks very different. If they fail, fuck it. They will always have more money than they could ever spend. For us peasants, we risk, we get rewarded, it shapes us in profound ways. A truer understanding of the universe that a billionaire could never fully appreciate.

Why study at a university? For most people, it is because you need a degree to get a job. If you are a billionaire, clearly you don't need a job, nor a degree, to accomplish anything.

If you are a billionaire and knowledge is what you seek then you may as well hire private tutors. You can afford the best in the world, why subject yourself to the decaying and corrupted institutions that are universities?

You will learn far more in a much faster time period and save a lot of money doing it.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Walk around with the plebs.
I am not even that wealthy and I am afraid to go back to my hometown (in South America) and walk around due to fear of being kidnapped for a ransom.

It has happened to way too many family members, just last year they tried to kidnap a cousin, but he drove away with bullets inside his body.

If you have money, just lay low. Only tell those who need to know.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I am not even that wealthy and I am afraid to go back to my hometown (in South America) and walk around due to fear of being kidnapped for a ransom.

It has happened to way too many family members, just last year they tried to kidnap a cousin, but he drove away with bullets inside his body.

If you have money, just lay low. Only tell those who need to know.
I talk about money and investments with people my general financial demographic, but not around people I don’t know well. I wouldn’t talk about money in a major metropolitan area ever. Or in a foreign country.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Gate's personal security is insane. The Gates Foundation has those metal rods that go 20 yards into the ground surrounding it's one entrance, that no vehicle could ever go through. You can only get into the complex from one heavily guarded entrance, staffed with ex secret service/CIA/whatever qualified guards. The entrance features a 50 foot long escalator that plunges into the ground and puts anyone who enters in full view of multiple cameras w/ face detection, and there are guards hidden who can mow anyone down who is coming in hot.
But he's not just a Billionaire, he's also pissed off a lot of people all over the world w/ some of his money spending and trying to stop corruption.

Watched an episode of Big Bang Theory the other day where the main characters are hoping to run into Bill Gates at the hotel he’s staying at. They show him wandering around the lobby like a regular joe which is pretty hilarious considering his security team probably looks like the Secret Service.

But to answer the topic, no billionaires don’t really get to do what they want like regular people due to security concerns especially high profile billionaires like a Gates, Bezos, or Buffet. I read an AMA from a high dollar personal assistant that worked with billionaires and describing their day to day activities. They basically live a full time job meeting with senators and such but it’s inside a weird rich bubble.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

8fe5116542b8baa07be259389d956c71.gif

It’s junk food television. The show is 100x better on HBO Max by virtue of not having commercials. It was criminal the way they’d only have 18 minutes of show for a 30 minute time slot.

HoodWinked

The only thing they kind of can't do that's actually a negative are things spontaneously.

Like let's say Gates wants an ice cream cone at Baskin Robbins he could get an assistant to fetch him one. But if he wanted to get one himself and sample flavors it would be a hassle his security detail would have to be summoned. Maybe even have to shut down the store for him to go in private.

Where as the average person could hop in thier car and be done in 5 minutes.

Top Bottom