• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What brought me back to PC gaming (I still play on consoles and intend to buy PS5 / XBSX)

jigglet

Banned
After a few years of playing CS obsessively back in 2000-2002, I've been exclusively on console for about 20 years now. Here are the things that really got me interested again:
  • Technological progress has slowed down - yes I see this as a positive. Back in the early 2000's your PC would become significantly out of date after about 6 months. It was depressing. I bought a gaming PC that I barely used in 2013, and 7 years later I was shocked to see: 16gb ram was still optimal (it used to double every few years), and the 5ghz barrier for CPU's has remained largely unbroken. For my new build, I bought 3 year old mid-tier parts (GTX 1060, i5 8400) and it runs the game I want to play at over 100fps. Wow.
  • Windows is now solid. In the early 2000's, the number of crashes and corrupt files you'd get was off the charts. I couldn't stand using Windows, but now it's in a much better spot. Also it's so easy to install Windows now on a fresh build, making it much more inviting for people to DIY these days.
  • Freesync. Wow. Being able to use the full potential of your GPU without gimping it with vsync? This is probably the tech I appreciate the most. Love it.
  • Wireless gaming mice. Logitech proved wireless gaming-grade tech was possible a few years back and it's only gone from strength to strength.
  • RTS games, god how I've missed them. C&C Remastered!!! Red Alert 2!!! So good.

Here are the areas I think PC still needs to improve:
  • Header cables and their motherboard ports are still a mess. There is no global standard, and they're fiddly, shitty little cables I hate working with. Building your own PC is such a breeze these days, except for this. It's not hard mind you, just unnecessarily annoying given how much progress everything else has made.
  • Windows still doesn't do a great job cleaning up garbage files. I love the freedom of testing dozens of games on console without making a mess. On PC it still leaves crap everywhere, and every few months I need to go digging through various directories looking for the footprints that uninstalled games have left behind. For example I just uninstalled a game only to find: a temporary directory it used to extract files into but didn't auto delete post-installation, an entry in the Documents directory to store config files that weren't removed, some garbage files left in my Program Files directory, and I think 2-3 other spots I can't remember. This is just shit. Keeping a "clean" system is so hard. The Windows reset feature is great but extremely limited. This is the one thing that has remained unchanged since I started using computers back in the 90's and I was hoping they'd have a more sophisticated solution for by now. You'd think it wouldn't be difficult to keep a log of all the files generated from each app. I feel a little guilty every time I try out a demo, and I think to myself: this is so stupid!

I am however saddened by what's happening with Epic and platform exclusives, however I'm not going to bother expanding on this in this thread.

Anyway, I'm curious whether anyone else has recently gotten into PC gaming and what was it that convinced you?

Last edited:

T-Cake

For me it was the ability to play at more than 30fps and have faster load times with SSD. One thing I love more though is the sheer amount of free/cheap games you get. The consoles simply cannot match this.

I was thinking about moving back to both next-gen consoles as I feel like I’d be missing out on the buzz but it makes no logical sense to get Xbox now. So I’ll be half joining the party with PS5 and using my PC for the Xbox titles.

Last edited:
dFFevUu.png

All I'm reading from this thread.

jigglet

Banned
dFFevUu.png

All I'm reading from this thread.

haha! Na I'm not ditching consoles. I still can't get Nintendo games anywhere else and I still prefer to play Halo with a controller.

And I'm positive there will be PS5 exclusives I will like, even though there were literally none this gen that caught my interest. I bought so many yet couldn't stand to play them for more than a few hours.

tryDEATH

The only reason it was worth gaming on PC for me was the ability to Mod. Skyrim is for that reason one of my favorite games ever, the replaybility for that game with mods was insane and there were so many of good mods, There were YT channels that did weekly highlights of cools mods. The 2nd and 3rd reasons were Diablo and Starcraft.

JayK47

PC gaming is pretty great right now with more and more console games making their way to PC. And as T-Cake stated, so many free games. I have not spent a dime on Epic and have about 2 dozen free games so far. And they are not half bad games either.

Banned
JRPG being on pc is biggest factor for me to move to pc gaming

also amd being competitive

and I loving it

Top Bottom