• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Can Indiana Jones bring to Gaming That Franchised Inspired by it (Tomb Raiser, Uncharted) Haven't Yet Done?

Kokoloko85

So many Indian Jones threads...
Whip combat. More puzzles but its gonna be hard to bring anything new that Tomb Raider and Uncharted havent

Why would Indiana Jones be inspired by uncharted and Tomb Raider? The thing is Indiana Jones is the oldest, and already does what Uncharted and Tomb Raider do i:e climbing walls and mountains. It's like saying it's the latter: Uncharted and Tomb Raider inspired by Indiana Jones.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Title says it all

indiana jones gun GIF

Indiana Jones Mind GIF

e_h3hoRJ_400x400.jpg

But have pretty low expectations.

Darak

In my humble opinion, the Lucasarts adventures were a vastly more accurate representation of the franchise compared to Uncharted. Anyway, I don't think there is any chance of this being anything other than a poor Uncharted clone. And it's not as if the formula can't be improved. Replacing the fake platforming and puzzles by real ones would be a good start, for example.

It depends on which tomb raider you're talking about.

The original series on the PS1 is by far the best of all tomb raiders and uncharteds. Just remake TR1-3 but change the lara croft model to indian JOnes

If Bethesda want to do something different, they can return to what made the OG TR series great; puzzles, little combat but brutal encounters, exploration and a return to true 3d platforming - as in, timing the run, the jump and the grab, not just spamming QTE's or holding LT to get you up a ledge.

SirTerry-T

Well it will have Indiana Jones for starters.
A period setting will give it something different too. Hopefully any new IJ game will continue the legacy of all those great puzzles the point and click games had too.

ZehDon

Gold Member
The light-hearted sense of adventure and exploration that Tomb Raider and Uncharted out-right abandoned in favour of dour cinematic stories that played out like what their writers thought other people think mature story telling looks like.

Lets explore some amazing locations, lets crack some jokes, blow some shit up, have some fucking fun, and end it on a high note. If we get a I'm-14-and-this-is-really-deep-holy-shit-video-games-are-art story where, I don't know, he has to come to grips with facing the reality of the dozens of men he murdered on his death bed, and it ends with Indy alone in a dark room crying before a smash to black "A Neil Druckmann Film" style garbage, Imma riot.

If we get something on par with Fate of Atlantis, I'll buy two copies, and mail one to Eidos Montreal.

pasterpl

Less shooting, more platformer elements, better puzzles. While I love uncharted and finished all games with drake, I wouldn’t rate them very high as adventure games. Indiana Jones is more about exploration less about shooting.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
since the Uncharted series after 2 was not exactly the best ... I expect that finally we will be able to play an adventure that is more based on puzzles and that makes you use your brain ..and the games you mentioned both more about melee than about the use of weapons.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
It depends on which tomb raider you're talking about.

The original series on the PS1 is by far the best of all tomb raiders and uncharteds. Just remake TR1-3 but change the lara croft model to indian JOnes

If Bethesda want to do something different, they can return to what made the OG TR series great; puzzles, little combat but brutal encounters, exploration and a return to true 3d platforming - as in, timing the run, the jump and the grab, not just spamming QTE's or holding LT to get you up a ledge.
Nowadays they'd have markers showing you where to climb, super obvious ways to go, ledges to grab on to...., vey forgiving and automated feeling climbing...

If the average schlub can get stuck for more than a minute or so and not figure out where to go or what to do, or be able to do it, it's considered 'bad game design' in the modern AAA space.

Last edited:
Nowadays they'd have markers showing you where to climb, super obvious ways to go, ledges to grab on to...., vey forgiving and automated feeling climbing...

If the average schlub can get stuck for more than a minute or so and not figure out where to go or what to do, or be able to do it, it's considered 'bad game design' in the modern AAA space.
I agree, and that's why Indiana should (and i hate to say this) be the 'Souls' of the action adventure genre. Modern tomb raider and Uncharted have accessibility in common. If Bethesda want to step out and do something different, make it difficult.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Seems like safe money to just copy Uncharted but with the Indiana Jones license.

The Tomb Raider games came and went, and Naughty Dog is seemingly done with Uncharted. This can find a place just filling the void.

Great Hair

Banned
Which of the two reboots will flop harder? Perfect Dark or Indiana Jones. Mediatically speaking, no one gives a wet fart about Indiana Jones. Indiana Jones 5 with 90 year old Harrison Ford .. who wants to see that.
the force awakens GIF by popsugar

Impotaku

To be honest i'd rather have it as some big hugely puzzle related adventure like the amazing Lucasarts point and click adventures did than some shit like the console versions had where it was a generic shitty platformer with a few themed levels and a whip.

It's gonna be hard though to make it stand out as the whole action adventure game has been done already, having indy having to get clues to find various places and tracking down items to help him do so would make it great just like it works in the films. Having to find some really well hidden temple full of traps and surviving to the middle lol in fact dark souls it. Make it brutally hard with one life, archaeology shouldn't be easy lol, maybe he works for a museum and has been set missions to track down various artifacts. When you get one it gets popped into said museum for you to admire like some expansion what on animal crossing does.

Last edited:

Ricky_Bee

Banned
The light-hearted sense of adventure and exploration that Tomb Raider and Uncharted out-right abandoned in favour of dour cinematic stories that played out like what their writers thought other people think mature story telling looks like.

Lets explore some amazing locations, lets crack some jokes, blow some shit up, have some fucking fun, and end it on a high note. If we get a I'm-14-and-this-is-really-deep-holy-shit-video-games-are-art story where, I don't know, he has to come to grips with facing the reality of the dozens of men he murdered on his death bed, and it ends with Indy alone in a dark room crying before a smash to black "A Neil Druckmann Film" style garbage, Imma riot.

If we get something on par with Fate of Atlantis, I'll buy two copies, and mail one to Eidos Montreal.
I don’t know. It’s Machine Games. It’s probably just going to be ten hours of Indie straight up murdering white men for Progress.

God that’s depressing. All the symbols of your youth repurposed as weapons against you.

Last edited:
Which of the two reboots will flop harder? Perfect Dark or Indiana Jones. Mediatically speaking, no one gives a wet fart about Indiana Jones. Indiana Jones 5 with 90 year old Harrison Ford .. who wants to see that.
the force awakens GIF by popsugar

He ruined Blade Runner 2049 for me. He couldn't even be bothered to act or wear a costume, he just played grumpy Harrison Ford.

WellSheet

I’m in camp, “they can’t do much new, just try refine and balance the
Mechanics differently”

Shadow of The Tomb Raider had (relatively) very little combat compared to
Puzzles and exploration, which I found refreshing because it FELT like I was exploring and solving, not just rallying up a kill count.

uncharted is one of my favorite series but even their formula grew stale, despite the production values.

I think IJ games can take from both titles snd find its own balance; I think it has a lot to prove with big, over the top set piece moments that Tomb Raider reboot aimed to have but never really came close to Uncharted’s level of spectacle or diversity. Uncharted’s character development and presentation are also second to none..

Tomb Raider had that quasi-open world/Metroidvania gameplay loop that I really enjoyed though, and IJ would benefit from a design closer to that...so who knows, finding the right balance of those aspects mixed with IJ aesthetic and it could be awesome! It’s not like we get games on uncharted or tomb raider’s level every day.

Bartski

Gold Member
Next-gen whip mechanics and a villain named Heinrich.

Wouldn't expect any sexy sidekicks or shooting cocky Arab swordsmen because of who owns the IP right now.

Dunno man, I'm kind of with Jaffe here. Still hope for the best and curious about what it really is.

yurinka

A big focus on puzzles, exploration, humor, using the whip for several mechanics other than the grappling hook and make it first person and combat focused into melee instead of in shooting. Hire Harrison Ford for the voice over, use the main theme for the big action set pieces and set it in the '30s.

Non-white sexy female sidekick, choose an European setting (maybe searching something the nazis are also searching from King Arthur, or from the vikings, or finding the Atlantis in the south of Spain) and make sure the bad guya are nazis to avoid retarded woke complains about racism and colonialism.

Other than that, copy Uncharted. Considering all the mentioned stuff, it will result a very different game even if also focus stunning visuals in beautiful environments, some very different exotic locations to discover, cool dialogs, epic action setpieces with huge explosions and the environment falling apart, a typical action adventure mix of combat, narrative and exploration, etc.

I think the main thing that would help to differentiate it from Uncharted and Tomb Raider would be to make it first person, something that would also help to take advantage of MachineGames expertise. Because even if they try to differentiate it with all these things if it continues being third person it will still be an Uncharted clone. But hey, one of the things people miss from MS is to have their own Uncharted and this game would also be the best opportunity for them to get their own Uncharted.

This. Uncharted is an interactive movie
Seems you never played an Uncharted game or don't know what an interactive movie is.

Last edited:

Fbh

Ideally, yeah good platforming, good puzzles, more exploration, less combat and have it be more focused on hand to hand and whip combat than shooting.

Realistically though I think it could be Ok if it basically takes the best elements of Uncharted and Tomb Raider reboot.
Take the better puzzles, more interesting traversal and better level design from Tomb Raider, and combine it with the more varied locations, cooler setpiece moments and more enjoyable story with actually likeable characters of Uncharted.

MadAnon

Just be Indiana Jones - exploring surroundings, tombs, solving puzzles, make some good whip gameplay, some shooting. Just don't be a stupid shooting gallery simulator sprinkled with kindergarten level puzzles that is Uncharted.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I think it needs to be like an mostly you not in control adventure puzzle game (like Fate of Atlantis, not 2D though and not a point and click ofc) to be actually true to what Indiana Jones is in the films and novels, but thats not mainstream and would sell like shit.

I just don't think it will feel like IJ to be climbing all the time or getting in tons of gun battles, seems off for the licence. I guess if its more hand to hand and environmental "kills"/whip stuff but has hand-to-hand been done well in many games? Uncharted is the best imo in that regard, the context sensitive moves and the like. I doubt machinegames will suddenly manage to pull off a more dynamic animation blending system like that when their last five (5) games have featured very much trad animation blending/sliding (Not saying they aren't technically talented, as that was all they needed to do for the Wolfensteins because of what they were, so they didnt need dynamic blending).

Maybe it will be like the quieter parts in Wolfenstein (The submarine bit) most of the time, I'd love that I think. If they do put a lot of climbing in it I'd like for it to be more manual than Uncharted, doesn't have to be OG Tomb Raider climbing or anything but still not like no brain Uncharted, not sure how you'd make it fun though tbh.

MiguelItUp

Definitely whip combat, and other unique ways to use your whip. Maybe more traps and puzzles. Where games like Tomb Raider and Uncharted have leaned into Indy influences, I want the Indiana Jones game to be OOZING Indiana Jones across the board. Gimme the soundtrack, the humor, the excitement, etc.

I'm really excited about the possibilities. I just really hope it's done justice.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Like i said in another similar thread:

1)Consistent and precision based platforming (similar in philosophy to the classic TR games)
2)Actually interesting and challenging puzzles
3)Meaningful and risk/reward exploration with well hidden paths,risky platforming that rewards the player with either shortcuts,better weapons,helpful tools,or types of hints (in the form of scrolls,scriptures etc) that would help to solve puzzles easier (that is if the puzzles are actually hard enough in the first place)
4)No RPG elements. Instead of stupid XP actually train the player to become better as he/she progresses in the game

Last edited:

Toaster man

Neo Member
Whip combat as many have pointed out but in addition I always had the impression that the action scenes in Indiana Jones were improvisational and anything goes. I would like to see combat in the game along those lines with fluid transitions between gun fighting, hand to hand,
And use of the environment.

1930s period provides some differences. It will be a period piece.

I hope there are some more bond or espionage influenced sequences that involve disguises or sneaking. Think hitman. Think social stealth. Sneaking into the castle in last crusade, or the night club in temple.

Indy can incorporate more fantastical elements imo.

They could go in a more semi open world direction. Imagine a large jungle area with ruins and temples. Player has to navigate using compass and environmental clues to solve puzzles and find an artifact all while avoiding traps and enemies.

Last edited:

OldBoyGamer

Banned
The historical 1940’s setting could be used to great effect if they try hard enough.

I’d be very disappointed if this is just a linear narrative game.

I’d love to see more exploration environments. Nazi castles, mansions and secret underground bases.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Easy, an uncanny valley Harrison Ford and bad VO doing an impression.

Another aspect is....unlike Laura Croft and Nathan Drake, Jones isn't really a mass, murdering shooter. He isn't killing hundreds of people that come on screen to progress a scene.

So are we "Whipping" our way through stages then?
(intentionally overthinking to continue the discussion)

Zannegan

How about a main character that doesn't narrate breathlessly throughout the adventure like an escaped mental patient?

Well, it's the original deal, so there's a lot it CAN bring. Like actual mystery and puzzles. And adventure and platforming. Also less focus on the characters themselves. Basically, don't approach it by copying Uncharted and nuRaider.

Last edited:
"Indiana Jones! You're just in the nick of time my good man, we've just uncovered the location of yet another tomb of Anubis; we could really use a good chap like yourself to uncover the mystery within. Please, allow me to mark it on your map."

Top Bottom