• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What can Resident Evil 4 Remake do to surpass the original?

yurinka

They said it will have PSVR 2 content. Doesn't sound like the whole game is playable in VR.
REVII and RE Village have the full game playable in VR. I don't see why it wouldn't be the case with this one. But I think they won't have it at launch. I think it will be a late game update that they'll start developing after shipping the flat screen version.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Leon aiming at ...... more precisely.

There's been a dev interview and preview in Edge magazine which addresses this:

"the sense of frustration when you miss a headshot is as keen as it was in 2005. But everything feels smooth and contemporised. Aiming down the sights is no longer slow and twitchy. When it comes to missed shots or ammo overspends, there is no longer any doubt as to where the fault lies."

xrnzaaas

The big technological step is enough - ability to move & shoot, no more fugly graphics and brown environments, I bet that Ashley sections will also be improved to be less annoying.

more weapon upgrading/customization.
more enemy stagger/stun animations.

fun shooting enemies in the legs/arms/head to stun them, then finishing them off with a melee attack.

Last edited:

consoul

Let the player pick up the chainsaw. It's just sitting there! As if Leon isn't gonna grab it.

I don't wanna break the balance of the game, but let me use it for the next couple of encounters until the petrol runs out.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
First, respect what made the original great.
Which by the looks of it, they're not respecting it.

The trailers show a darker atmosphere, with more "walking conversation" segments.
The wolf is dead.
The initial encounter with the villagers and the chainsaw man looks too streamlined (e.g. the scene where Leon is being held by a villager and the chainsaw man is getting gradually closer)
There seems to be sneaking now, which goes against the more action-oriented experience of the original.
The pacing seems much slower, with darker areas that require the flashlight.
Luis Sera looks like a junky now, and Ashley made to look "independent and strong that needs no man".
Art direction and monster/character design were changed mostly for the worse.

To try and be, for this generation, what the older game was for people nearly 20 years ago for the action horror genre.

I've already predicted most of the answers on GAF. Quite a few here are older, so they're going to lean towards the fact that it can't. When it comes out, those posters will nitpick or find things to nitpick about it. The older version of RE 4 is solidified into their childhoods and memories already as a classic, so there's nothing that can move it aside. It is an unmovable obelisk made of the hardest material.

Considering all of this, I just want the game to impress the newer generation of Console and PC players who happen to pick the game up because they're wanting a new horror/action experience. Maybe because they happened to try out RE 2 Remake because they heard great things about it, or maybe they're new fans of Leon and want to play another game starring him and they've heard great things about the original RE 4. Whatever the reason, this game has to impress that userbase the most, because that new userbase will keep RE thriving for the years to come.

Honestly I just want the game to sell well because after RE 4 releases, we will be in an interesting spot where that team will have to make a big decision: either remaking RE 5 or Code Veronica. I feel that they want to remake the entire series in the vein of RE 2 Remake, but if REmake 5 or CV happens there will have to be some bold, massively risky changes made to their gameplay pacing, story, locations, etc to make them more cohesive, and that's an exciting future.

Eimran

Make the story replayable in a bonus mode with Krauser, Wesker (Trust Punch!!!), Ada etc

It's perfectly doable as the modding community already showed for the last 15 years.

dan76

I hope they up the creepy atmosphere, especially in the last third. A bit less over the top set pieces, more Regenerators. I don't think they can make this better than the original, if they stay faithful to the feel and gunplay it will be pretty damn great.

I have a fear that they are going to give Ashley more of a partner role. I really don't want some AI partner running around shooting enemies just as I'm lining up the perfect head shot. The great thing about the original is you could at least tell her to "wait". If Sheva had that option 5 would've been so much more enjoyable.

The other thing they can screw up is taking the bullet sponge enemies from Remake 2. I loved the critical hit style of 4, the number of enemies they throw at you and the perfect balance of weapon power, ammo etc. Remake 2 had less enemies that took twice as many bullets to take down or evade. RE 4 isn't about evading enemies at all. It's a fine line I hope they get right.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The other thing they can screw up is taking the bullet sponge enemies from Remake 2. I loved the critical hit style of 4, the number of enemies they throw at you and the perfect balance of weapon power, ammo etc. Remake 2 had less enemies that took twice as many bullets to take down or evade. RE 4 isn't about evading enemies at all. It's a fine line I hope they get right.
Because in RE2 you are not meant to kill every zombie you come cross, this was also case with original RE remake, it took lot of bullet to kill them and if you don’t burn them they comeback as crimson head.

sainraja

Ah shoot. The stupid merchant is still in RE4?
Ugh. What is wrong with Capcom?

They go ahead and change a lot of areas in RE3 or by simply cutting out the clock tower but RE4 has to have the silly merchant in it?

Last edited:

Danjin44

Ah shoot. The stupid merchant is still in RE4?
Ugh. What is wrong with Capcom?

They go ahead and change a lot of areas in RE3 or by simply cutting out the clock tower but RE4 has to have the silly merchant in it?
What??? Fuck that, I LOVE the merchant, I'm glad they didnt cut him.

sainraja

I would like them to just add bunch of modes.

Original is great, but sometimes I would like to play it with more scarse ammo and weapons and fewer item slots, but that would require either less enemies or slower ones. So if tgey add such "survival" mode that would require balancing.

If possible to add 2nd run with different progression, that wpuld be sweet.
They could let us control that aspect — number of enemies, how much ammo, which guns are available, etc.

What??? Fuck that, I LOVE the merchant, I'm glad they didnt cut him.
He was the stupidest part of the game. What the hell is he doing going around selling stuff in a situation like the game is set in?
Just so stupid! I wish we could just kill him off for good. :D

Last edited:

Danjin44

He was the stupidest part of the game. What the hell is he doing going around selling stuff in a situation like the game is set in?
Just so stupid! I wish we could just kill him off for good. :D
I personally love the silly side RE series, so I’m super happy the merchant is still in the game.

Ridaxan

The gameplay of the original is very outdated, so it's not hard to surpass it by just utilising a modern control scheme.

sainraja

I personally love the silly side RE series, so I’m super happy the merchant is still in the game.
I wish, I wish I felt the same. But learning that he is still in the game is making me have second thoughts about my pre-order. I was hoping for a more serious version of RE4. I dunno...I might stick with it but not really happy to learn of this. Happy for you though! lol

SSfox

Not cutting content, respect the original, add Coop to mercenaries.
Saying this even tho it's not even guarateed to have Merc since how they fucked in RE3

Mercenaries Easily one of The most fun solo/coop ever, had 1000H on RE5 AND 8000h ON RE6

DavidGzz

I wish, I wish I felt the same. But learning that he is still in the game is making me have second thoughts about my pre-order. I was hoping for a more serious version of RE4. I dunno...I might stick with it but not really happy to learn of this. Happy for you though! lol

I also want it to be more serious but a little of this is fine for me. I was ok with the merchant in RE8. Overall, it looks more serious than the original and I am still excited.

sainraja

I also want it to be more serious but a little of this is fine for me. I was ok with the merchant in RE8. Overall, it looks more serious than the original and I am still excited.
I still have to play and finish RE8. Seeing the merchant there did have me worry a little bit about RE4 but now that is confirmed lol. I dunno. I just never liked that part about the game.

Last edited:

Corian33

Not sure if it can be done, but somehow top that first encounter in the village with the chainsaw guy. I was playing while roommates watched, and we were collectively in shock when Leon got his head chopped right off.

Nickolaidas

Banned
It will surpass the original in every way imaginable. The only thing the original has going for it is novelty of playing it years ago and have the benefit of nostalgia.

This is literally like fucking a supermodel at the age of 35, yet claim that the awkward sex you had when you were 17 with that classmate was better because it felt clumsier but better nonetheless due to it being your first time and it blew your mind.

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if every room you go into looks darker than dark. With every RE Engine game that's came out over the last 6 years, I have noticed that Capcom is always doing this now.

🌑

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Let me play the game as Homer Simpson. Don't act like that wouldn't be awesome.

Besides, what else can you do? It's a near-perfect game.

Okay, I agree with the suggestions that said to add more modes or difficulties. The accessibility options in GoW: Ragnarok were the best thing about that game, so there is room for a lot of options that cater towards different crowds and makes for a better personal experience.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
To be completely new, much better and an actual survival horror game, stripped from all and extremely bad camp bs and huge focus on action - which original RE4 and recent RE7-8 completely failed to accomplish. In short - not the be original RE4 in almost every way.

TheBTL

Neo Member
Because in RE2 you are not meant to kill every zombie you come cross, this was also case with original RE remake, it took lot of bullet to kill them and if you don’t burn them they comeback as crimson head.
This is one of biggest myths in resident evil people keep spouting. You can pretty take down every enemy in your path in those games providing you don’t shoot a bunch of bullets in the ground or wall.

Danjin44

This is one of biggest myths in resident evil people keep spouting. You can pretty take down every enemy in your path in those games providing you don’t shoot a bunch of bullets in the ground or wall.
It’s random how much it takes to take down one zombie, sometimes you empty entire clip even if you shooting the head, but sometimes they go down with one shot because you did critical hit to head.

Maybe it’s different on normal difficulty but that’s my experience playing on hardcore.

TheBTL

Neo Member
It’s random how much it takes to take down one zombie, sometimes you empty entire clip even if you shooting the head, but sometimes they go down with one shot because you did critical hit to head.

Maybe it’s different on normal difficulty but that’s my experience playing on hardcore.
Killed every enemy on hardcore on remake 2. The trick is keep the reticle closed and aim for the head for an increased chance for a critical and if the head doesn’t pop they’ll drop to the ground you just finish them off with the knife.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Killed every enemy on hardcore on remake 2. The trick is keep the reticle closed and aim for the head for an increased chance for a critical and if the head doesn’t pop they’ll drop to the ground you just finish them off with the knife.
That was my tactics as well but then I remember the time I was stuck on Tyrant boss in RE Code Veronica because I didn’t have enough bullets. From then on if I can easily out run the enemy then I rather do that than waste bullets.

TheBTL

Neo Member
That was my tactics as well but then I remember the time I was stuck on Tyrant boss in RE Code Veronica because I didn’t have enough bullets. From then on if I can easily out run the enemy then I rather do that than waste bullets.
Lol! Code Veronica throws the most guns and ammo at you out of the classic Resident Evil games plus the knife in that game is overpowered.

Top Bottom