• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What classic movies you think would make a good streaming TV show?

GreyHorace

It seems that some classic movies are making a comeback, but not in the movie theater. Rather they've been given new life in the form of streaming TV shows.

While this seems a recipe for disaster, there are already a number of examples that have been a surprising success. Shows like the critically acclaimed Cobra Kai, a sequel series to 1984's The Karate Kid. I've not seen it myself, but everyone seems to love this show.

Cobra-Kai-570x356.jpg

But to talk of tv shows I've seen, on Netflix we had The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, a prequel series to the original 1982 Jim Henson film. It's been lauded by both fans and critics by being true to the spirit of the movie while telling a far superior story.

The-Dark-Crystal-Age-of-Resistance-logo.jpg

I thought this series was awesome, but sadly, it's been canceled after the first season and I'm very pissed at Netflix for that. But maybe Disney could continue it on their own streaming service Disney+ since they own the Muppets?

And speaking of Disney+, it has The Mandalorian, based on George Lucas' Star Wars.

scale-1-600x338.jpeg

I absolutely love this show. It's the best Star Wars media I've seen in a long time after the disappointment of both the Prequel and Sequel trilogy. And it's success is such that Disney and Lucasfilm plan to make it the flagship to their Star Wars shared universe much like the MCU.

So yeah. I think there's a case to be made for a classic movie to get new life as a streaming show. So what would your choice be GAF?

Personally, I think a streaming show based on Ghostbusters would be awesome.

gb_main.jpg

Now I know there's a new movie coming soon that looks to undo the disaster that was the 2016 all female reboot. But Ghostbusters I think could work well as a streaming show. And it's not like showrunners need to look far for inspiration. All they need to do is make a live action version of The Real Ghostbusters animated spinoff.

The-Real-Ghostbusters.jpg

This show was awesome for a Saturday morning cartoon and wasn't afraid to deal with dark themes and crazy supernatural stuff.

Also, I'd like a new streaming series based on RoboCop.

Robocop-1987-010.jpg

Yeah yeah. I know there was live action TV show way back in 1994. I watched some episodes myself. But it was a neutered version that did away with a lot of the violence that made Paul Verehoven's film such a classic. A streaming show wouldn't have such restrictions and could go balls out with the violence and satire that RoboCop is known for.

GreyHorace

Indiana Jones would do pretty good. Each season covering a new adventure.
They did have The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles on ABC in 1992, which covered much of Indy's early life and getting involved in numerous events of real world history.

YIJopenlogo.JPG

It only lasted one season because of it's high budget and low ratings. But I wouldn't mind it if somebody takes another crack at it.

Jethalal

Banned
They did have The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles on ABC in 1992, which covered much of Indy's early life and getting involved in numerous events of real world history.

YIJopenlogo.JPG

It only lasted one season because of it's high budget and low ratings. But I wouldn't mind it if somebody takes another crack at it.
Oh I'm sure Disney has something in mind. They need more of this along with Star Wars and Marvel stuff to attract all kinds of audience.

GreyHorace

No, please no.

Predator should 119mins of pure testosterone, gore, suspense, action, horror, sci fi, ugly mother fucker of a film

Nothing else

You got that, this isn't a debate.

And thats the last of this madness, I ever wanna hear.

Xx
Predator was a great movie, but for me was a case of one time greatness that can never be replicated. They've tried numerous times to reinvigorate it on film with no success (I'll admit to liking Predator 2 though). Even the long awaited versus battle with Aliens franchise couldn't do shit to change the franchise's fortunes.

And speaking of Aliens, I don't know whether Disney is crazy or smart to greenlight an Alien series for FX. Even with Noah Hawley (Fargo, Legion) in charge, this is a franchise that's never topped the greatness of it's first two films.

131064362_10158716956276605_4967469788782383988_o-701x394.jpg

INC

Predator was a great movie, but for me was a case of one time greatness that can never be replicated. They've tried numerous times to reinvigorate it on film with no success (I'll admit to liking Predator 2 though). Even the long awaited versus battle with Aliens franchise couldn't do shit to change the franchise's fortunes.

And speaking of Aliens, I don't know whether Disney is crazy or smart to greenlight an Alien series for FX. Even with Noah Hawley (Fargo, Legion) in charge, this is a franchise that's never topped the greatness of it's first two films.

131064362_10158716956276605_4967469788782383988_o-701x394.jpg

The first predator is enough for me

Same as alien and aliens, I can live forever which just those,..I dont need the back story, I prefer the mystery, thats the fucking point tbh

Last edited:

GreyHorace

The first predator is enough for me

Same as alien and aliens, I can live forever which just those,..I dont need the back story, I prefer the mystery, thats the fucking point tbh
I'm in the same boat. For me, that depressing sequel that was Alien 3 never happened. As far as I'm concerned, Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop are still in cryo sleep heading home.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Heh, half of these suggestions have already had tv shows :p

But i think Flash Gordon could be amazing. Tron as well, if you mixed it with something like Person of Interest. Last Starfighter of course is ready made for serialization. Last Unicorn as well, though you'd have to turn her into a chick way earlier to prevent too many Mr. Ed moments. Krull could be cool, more about the search for the Glaive fragments while dealing with the Master (?) controlling all the human kingdoms from his teleporting castle.

I dont have high hopes for Willow but we'll see. Most of my other suggestions did get shows that were very lackluster (Beastmaster, Conan)due to an episodic format or just ok (Terminator) to actually not bad (Highlander, Weird Science). I'd like to see remakes of Misfits of Science or all the fantasy detective spins like Forever Knight in a modern storytelling context.

And while not a classic (yet), something like Cabin in the Woods but dealing with other cultures could be awesome. Guess now the twist is out it would get kinda repetitive though.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

But i think Flash Gordon could be amazing.

Problem with Flash Gordon is that an updated version of it has already been done, which was of course Star Wars. But a new Flash Gordon could work, provided it kept that 1930's scifi vibe and aesthetic like they had in the 1980 movie:

flash-gordon-poster-600x465.jpg

And the less said of that awful Syfy tv version, the better.

Flash-Gordon-640x420.jpg

Last Unicorn as well, though you'd have to turn her into a chick way earlier to prevent too many Mr. Ed moments.

Love this movie. Maybe as a miniseries it could work.

Krull could be cool, more about the search for the Glaive fragments while dealing with the Master (?) controlling all the human kingdoms from his teleporting castle.

I really don't get Krull. I watched it again and found it very boring. And that Glaive turned out to be a useless Mcguffin.

I dont have high hopes for Willow but we'll see. Most of my other suggestions did get shows that were very lackluster (Beastmaster, Conan)

Both of which were riding the Hercules/Xena craze of the mid 90's. I can understand why most of them were lackluster, since being TV shows they didn't have the budget like movies to make the fantasy elements look believable. Netflix's version of The Witcher (which very much feels like a successor to Hercules and Xena) at least has some big money thrown at it but there are times when it looks they made it for cheap.

The Mandalorian I think is the only fantasy show on today that has some really high production values and effects. Disney clearly gave it a huge budget for it's second season.

cf3f24afa0be802ca0da7eb30dcbbb5dc29886f2.gif

6fc0ad0faa9b1286cc3f771305b62eda3e0d9db6.gifv

INC

Minority report
Sin city
Battle royale
Mad Max (hero drifter TV shows just don't exist anymore, which is a shame)
Sicario
City of God

Last edited:

Seraphym

Tremors but with Kevin Bacon...
Yes there was a pilot and yes there was another series without Bacon.

Dredd/Mega City One , often mooted but unlikely. Urban to return and just have all those cool characters. The Angel gang as Season 1s villains, softly softly tease the Dark Judges.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Tremors but with Kevin Bacon...
Yes there was a pilot and yes there was another series without Bacon.
I'm still pissed that Bacon's series was never greenlit, even though it was supposed to be a Syfy show so chances are it would be crap / very low budget looking.

Seraphym

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, a prequel series to the original 1982 Jim Henson film. It's been lauded by both fans and critics by being true to the spirit of the movie while telling a far superior story.

The-Dark-Crystal-Age-of-Resistance-logo.jpg

I thought this series was awesome, but sadly, it's been canceled after the first season and I'm very pissed at Netflix for that. But maybe Disney could continue it on their own streaming service Disney+ since they own the Muppets?
It may of been canceled but I am glad we got it, great series that worked so well and strove out and further developed the world

Last edited:

YIJopenlogo.JPG

A Young Indy reboot in the vein of the Mandalorian, fund it!

Blade runner. Scifi noire detective show.
This was going to be my pick.

Top Bottom