• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What console game served as your first jump to HD gaming?

Reiko

Banned
For me, Soul Calibur 2 on Xbox.

(Not my TV)

soulcaliburii-720pcom9fqce.jpg

Playing the game in 720p was a revelation in the potential of the coming next generation consoles. So crisp & clear. Only con was not being able to play it in a true 16:9 ratio.

What you say GAF?

Call of Duty 2 and Project Gotham Racing 3 (Xbox 360 launch).

Some Xbox games supported HD but at that time I was still playing my games on a Sony Trinitron CRT.

Gears of War I think

Wait - maybe it was some racing game... I don't remember which one...

ACTUALLY - I might've seen a madden demo in gamestop, but I'm not sure if that counts

Rubius

Super Mario World
Damn those colors, those lines, that music.
Then Donkey Kong Country came and ripped a hole in Mario World. Destroyed my perception of video games.

And because I know people will complain that I didnt use the current definition of HD (720p and 1080p(Seriously, 4K will be what? High High Definition? Nope, just the next HD)), Its Deadrising. Not the most impressive game, but having all those zombies on screen made me so happy.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Must've been some random FPS on PC that I was running in 720p.

Console-wise, I think it was Kameo (360). Looked amazing.

FStop7

Banned
I had Enter the Matrix and Soul Calibur 2 for the XBox but I don't think I played them in HD. First HD game was Project Gotham Racing 3 or Condemned.

Aeana

On consoles, it was Blue Dragon. It was also the first game I ever played in widescreen, since my PC monitor was 4:3 at the time. It was definitely a great choice for me, and it set a positive tone for the generation in my eyes.

JordanN

Banned
Technically, there was alot of HD games I played but were hooked up to a SDTV.

For my first HD game that was hooked up to a HDTV, it was Fight Night Round 4.

Gannd

Banned
HD gaming or HD consoles? I was gaming in HD on my computer years before consoles could do it. Console wise, it's the Wii U.

TrackMania Nations Forever.

Oh yeah, I picked a PC game, what are ya gonna do?

[But seriously, I don't have a HDTV, so the PC is the only thing that can play games at HD resolutions]

mokeyjoe

Well, not counting PC games then Gears of War I think. Although the first thing I actually played was the demo for Dirt.

Looked amazing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
On consoles, it was Blue Dragon. It was also the first game I ever played in widescreen, since my PC monitor was 4:3 at the time. It was definitely a great choice for me, and it set a positive tone for the generation in my eyes.
The only tone that came out of that game for me was "Nothing"

T_T

Final Fantasy XIII on PS3 which, while it wasn't my first PS3 game, it *was* the first game I played when I finally got an HDTV earlier this year. Mind-blowing stuff.

Danny-Boy

Resistance fall of man. I wasn't really that much of a gamer back then but when I shot that first wave of chimera in HD I was hooked.

I don't remember. Wii U is my first HD console, but I've played my friends' Xbox 360s and PS3s and watched them play so many times.

No_Style

Consoles: Gears of War
PC: I think it was Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries -- whatever game that I ran first at 1280 x 1024

Top Bottom