• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What console is you favourite?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yeah the nes is like the Beatles of consoles. Just the time period was a blank slate and full of experimentation.

top 3

1. nes
2. Snes
3. PlayStation

Jethalal

Banned
PS 2>4PRO>3

These are the ones I've had, (4pro for few months though). 3 is not bad at all it's just that the online was a pain in the ass and 4 PRO improved on it heavily. 2 might be the nostalgia but I loved the form factor a lot.

SSfox

PS1 is the best and most revolutionary console of all time.

PS5 seems to be the best ever when it comes to design architecture, and now the rest is up to devs to express themselves with some great and innovative games.

Last edited:

Zheph

I don't know...

PSX was so good, same for PS2 but I did enjoy PS4 so much
A spot for GameCube and Dreamcast in my heart
SNES was insane

and I got to say PS5 is starting superbly and could get the throne in a few years

Last edited:

Mabdia

The one that i can play Final Fantasy V, VI, VII. VIII, IX and X, also, the one that I can play Disgaea, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Rivals Schools, Resident Evil 1, 2, 3 and CV. Alongside with Gran Turismo, The King of Fighters and Street Fighter Alpha.

That console can be PS2 or a PS3 that runs PS2 games.

That being Said, Super Nintendo (SNES) was an amazing console.

My top 3 consoles are:

PS2
Super Nintendo (SNES)
PS3

Ellery

1. Playstation 1 (Resident Evil 1,2,3, Final Fantasy VII,VIII,IX, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis, Parasite Eve, Tomb Raider, Tony Hawks etc. etc. etc.)
2. SNES (Zelda, Metroid, DKC 1,2,3, Mario, Contra etc.)
3. PS2 (Silent Hill 2,3,4, MGS 2,3, FFX etc.)
4. N64 (Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, Mario, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie etc.)
5. PS4 (TLOU2, Bloodborne, God of War, Uncharted 4, FF VII Remake etc.)

Times are changing though. A lot of games that were exclusive to consoles back then are multiplat now (or would be if they were released today). So it is hard to compare and you are always influenced by nostalgia.

Mihos

Gold Member
Backward compatible PS3 would probably cover most games.... but that is kind of cheating.

I have a sweet spot for the rev 1 Sega CD and my front loading panasonic 3DO

joedan

NES. Grew up on it. Introduced me to gaming. Had so much fun playing and exchanging games with friends and playing coop with my brother.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hard to pick just 1 but probably PS3 because of it's capabilities, the PSN library, and that it plays 99% of PSX games.

PS2 is up there too, same with the SNES. Wii U as of late too, that system has a ton of options/features.

Soodanim

Gold Member
PlayStation PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2 PlayStation 2 have to be my choices.

PS1 was the third console generation for me, but it was the first console release I was aware of. It was new and exciting to get a 3D console, and that generation spawned so much that's still going today (and more that deserve to come back). The official magazine that came with demo discs let you try out a wide variety of games, something you won't ever see revived.

PS2 was everything PS1 did but taken to the next level. MGS, THPS, RE, FF, Tenchu, and a ton more got fantastic sequels, and it brought its own share of long running franchises with it. GTA, GOW, and so on.

A great time to be a kid and teenager.

Last edited:

hales27

Neo Member
My favorite is the Xbox 360. While I enjoy the Wii U, Wii, Xbox 1, and Nintendo switch, I've played the Xbox 360 for so long that I keep on playing it even when I'm bored of other consoles.

John2290

Never had such a good time with a console than the PS4 and PSVR. The PS4 alone was just perfection with a few hitches of the modern internet era and sometimes not being able to live up to that... okay, not perfection but it was better than anything else since I've been playing around the early 90's, it even surpassed PC for me and went up swinging hard at times against it. Games were cheaper than they ever were, sales were cheaper and sooner, first party was so good it's hard to think about buying a third party game without hours of research. s

Idk, though, a month hasn't passed yet but Cyberpunk really tainted the whole thing, I look back now and am a lot less impressed by the whole thing after having the AAA industry weaved in around it and all the flaws. it doesn't take away all the fun I've had with the console and it the one I've played the most of and all. I suppose this sourness will pass in time and I might return to the console or the PS5 and be impressed again. I just really hope they pull back on the shitty MTX strategies, the multiple releases, the broken games, the patches, knowingly over hyping stuff that doesn't stand a chance, putting pull price games out (raising the prices now) and then setting it up from the get go so it can go free to play if it fails etc.

I have hope put it's not enough for me to invest until I see proof they'll fix these issues going forward, MS and Valve too. Right now, Nintendo has the least of these and fairly decent games. Not the perfection we've seen on PS4 first party but they aim for a goal and they reach it at the very least.

ethomaz

Banned
PlayStation 5 is the best console I ever had so it is my favorite... all the issues I had with day one consoles in the past are gone with PS5... it is really a wonderful different experience.

Said that I have a special place in my heart for Nintendo 64... not about the console itself but because it had what I believe to be the best controller experience ever created... I miss a lot the way you used to play games with N64 controller.

PS4 is a runner up as my favorite.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I've owned basically every console except the SEGA ones and I think the PS1. while most of them are great, I think both the gameboy advance and the gamecube are the most dear to me, if I had to pick then the GBA would be the one.

MarlboroRed

Playstation is the king of aesthetics in my opinion.

The Playstation 2 Slim is probably the best looking console they ever produced. And the PS2 lineup is probably unmatched, so many great and unique titles.

And the Vita Slim is, to this day, the best looking handheld. Ever. I bought one just because I love the design so much.
But we all know what happened to the Vita.. It had some strong games, but no real system seller. It desperately needed a proper Monster Hunter. And the decision to limit it to heavily overpriced first party storage killed any potential it had.

Still, it's a great handheld these days. SD2Vita is a thing, and with homebrew it's a fantastic emulation machine.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've never really had a favorite console. Every one I've owned I've liked for what I get from it. The one I currently play the most is Switch because Mario Kart with friends is just too darn fun.

Genx3

The fondest memories I have had while gaming were with the NES, SNES, TG16, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, OG Xbox, 360 and PS3.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Playstation is the king of aesthetics in my opinion.

The Playstation 2 Slim is probably the best looking console they ever produced. And the PS2 lineup is probably unmatched, so many great and unique titles.

And the Vita Slim is, to this day, the best looking handheld. Ever. I bought one just because I love the design so much.
But we all know what happened to the Vita.. It had some strong games, but no real system seller. It desperately needed a proper Monster Hunter. And the decision to limit it to heavily overpriced first party storage killed any potential it had.

Still, it's a great handheld these days. SD2Vita is a thing, and with homebrew it's a fantastic emulation machine.
It's interesting because I think they are the ugliest systems. I don't pay much attention to the slims because I am an impatient early adopter, but generally I have not liked the look of any PS except for the first one, but that was only because it was the 90s and CDs were basically a dream update, and well the PSX looked like a great little CDPlayer game thing. PS2/3/4/5 are all ugly. Like really ugly. The PS5 and the OG PS2 are locked in a struggle for the prize of the ugliest PlayStation, which is fun because they were also the most hyped and hard to get at launch.

We should do a thread about which generation of consoles is the ugliest, so we can go on an on about the PS2 / Xbox /GameCube and their terrible aesthetics and then have some randos declaring the Wii part of that gen and breaking the whole discussion because that system actually looked OK, especially out of the stand.

Mr Hyde

Right now it's PS5 and Switch. Back in the days it was PSX and Dreamcast. I have a soft spot for Sega Saturn also.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Probably a tie between PS1 and SNES with the PS2 closely following.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's interesting because I think they are the ugliest systems. I don't pay much attention to the slims because I am an impatient early adopter, but generally I have not liked the look of any PS except for the first one, but that was only because it was the 90s and CDs were basically a dream update, and well the PSX looked like a great little CDPlayer game thing. PS2/3/4/5 are all ugly. Like really ugly. The PS5 and the OG PS2 are locked in a struggle for the prize of the ugliest PlayStation, which is fun because they were also the most hyped and hard to get at launch.

We should do a thread about which generation of consoles is the ugliest, so we can go on an on about the PS2 / Xbox /GameCube and their terrible aesthetics and then have some randos declaring the Wii part of that gen and breaking the whole discussion because that system actually looked OK, especially out of the stand.
I think the first PS3 slim revision is one of my favorite PlayStation form factors. Dense, dark and easily blended into the entertainment center. Much more subtle than the launch George Foreman grill PS3 and less cheap than the super slim. After that it's a tie between OG PS2 and OG PS4. To me the revisions of those consoles just got progressively worse from an aesthetic perspective. PS4 Pro is a pitiful looking console that plays the greatest games out there. It's pretty ironic. PS5 and its fins just looks like a ridiculous, pretentious toy to me. I hope the first revision is better looking. PS1 was ok but also looked like a toy and got more toylike over time. But they are all toys so I guess it makes sense.

Sony handhelds were aesthetically awesome. I loved them.

I've always been a fan of practical console design. I don't want to have to explain to someone what that thing is in my setup. I just want it to blend and be part of the background.

PlayStation 2

My most memorable games of all time. Everything was simpler back then and I just simply enjoyed games. Plus the library speaks for itself :
Persona 3/4
Silent Hill 2/3
Fatal Frame 1-3
Metal Gear Solid 2/3
Ico/SOTC
RE CV/4
Gran Turismo 3/4
Tokyo Xtreme Racer 0/3
GTA 3/VC/SA
Dark Cloud
DMC 1/3
FF XII
GrimGrimoire
Initial D Special Stage
NFS Underground/II
Oni
Yakuza
ZOE II

I could literally go on and on and on.

Deanington

OG Xbox
N64
tie NES, Sega Master System, and Genesis

I did not own every console/handheld but I had my share and played on most. I appreciate/like them all but I would say these are my favorites.

Last edited:
Top Bottom