• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What controller type have you used the most this generation, by total hours (approx)?

What controller type have you used the most this generation?

• Standard controller for the console (DualShock, Xbox One controller, Wii U Pro, etc)

• Mouse and Keyboard

• Steam controller

• Some VR crap that has motion stuff built in

• Arcade stick

• Some retro controller, either played on native hardware or converted to modern stuff

• Kinect, obviously

Results are only viewable after voting.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
There are a buttload of converters available for every platform under the sun nowadays. There are several standard console controllers that are pretty darn comfy compared to their predecessors. I'm curious -- in terms of raw game hours used -- what controller type you've used the most this generation (late 2012 - Present)? PC gamers, I'm going to assume most Mouse and Keyboard. For me? I have to say that a standard 8-button arcade stick has been my most used controller type this generation, surprisingly. I haven't played nearly as many games requiring a second analog stick, so I often play my games with a stick if I can help it. This is the first generation where I really started playing a lot of shmups, puzzle games, and fighting games, so GAF can imagine how much time I've put into those sticks.

Maybe that's not you. Maybe you're using the standard controller for your console. No judgment normie.

Maybe you've been converting your favorite controller to a modern platform, like some fancy-shmancy Saturn USB controller played on PC, or something.

Take a moment to think about it. What controller type have you used the most in the past gaming generation?

Mista

Banned
For PS4:

61K7SKDNRfL._SX466_.jpg

For Xbox:

xbox-one-s-wireless-controller-red-1_1.jpg

A standard controller because the Elite controller is garbage

For Switch:

41gSgBm8EqL.jpg

Shakka43

PS4:
Sony-DUALSHOCK-4-God-of-War-Controller

PC:
fee287b3-a8f0-48ec-be28-4bcb993d6273_3.791f0ecb3e357f0073a01bb2be175a7a.jpeg

Shield TV - Game Streaming/Emulation:
5709707_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Still use my Dualshock 3 and Wiimote from time to time, as for keyboard and mouse I've never been to into playing games with them.

Murr

Since you include Mouse and keyboard, that is probably the answer for me.
My Switch pro Controller would be in second place followed by a PS4 controller, that i use for PC ports like Yakuza.

Orpheum

I played with the same controller i got from the og PS4 at release up until last week. Got a new one because my characters couldn't walk straight anymore

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Nearly exclusively use keyboard and mouse, only take out my Steam Controller or Razer Hydra for rare cases. I like immersive 3D games with free camera movement, and if the camera's free, I want a mouse.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That's an easy one, I only play on consoles and I use their standard controllers almost exclusively (though if I had a PS4, I'd definitely go for Mista Mista 's solution). I have also used "retro controllers on native hardware" because I have played a lot on old systems, but I cannot really see that as an exclusive alternative to point 1 in the poll. Also, I have used a bit of Kinect for my wife's sake.

Strider311

Honestly... I still prefer to use the Xbox 360 controller on many games for PC. I love that thing and I wish they still made them. If I ever see a new one for a decent price, I’ll pick it up for later on down the line when my current one breaks down.

mcz117chief

I am mostly a PC gamer so kb+m. My estimate is that I have spent over 90% of my gaming time on PC this gen, thanks mostly to League of Legends, real time strategy games and my 40k ARMA 3 group.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
mouse/keyboard.

my most used controller is the Xbox 360 and then joycons. of course i use the 360 controller with my PC.

i have a PS4 but i hate the dualshock 4.

Honestly... I still prefer to use the Xbox 360 controller on many games for PC. I love that thing and I wish they still made them. If I ever see a new one for a decent price, I’ll pick it up for later on down the line when my current one breaks down.
i dread the day my wired 360 controller breaks down. i'd probably replace it with the Xbox One controller or maybe a next gen version but imo while I do think the XB1 controller is easily the best controller this generation it just doesn't feel as good as the 360 controller.

Last edited:

Barnabot

Dundun, arcade sticks never got the representeation they deserved. No one can play any game with arcade stick especially the Firtst and Third Person Shooters :nougat_rofl:

But here's my main controller. Even for racing games.

11bee787262c600c7376cd.jpg

I weared out my dual shock 4 after more than 850 hours on DriveClub (despite people is constantly ranting on its durability).
Next are move controller for PSVR. Ther battery is their weak point

BlackTron

Mouse + Keyboard. I like FPS and RTS games.

The 360 pad has been my go-to PC controller for years, but these days it usually only comes out for multiplayer. With my best friend we put hundreds of hours of intense abuse on two 360 pads on Towerfall alone...

The Switch pro controller is probably the real #2 this gen because I've used it for some real timesink games like Zelda and Wargroove, and is the new multiplayer standard for smash, kart etc. It just can't compete with allll the time I've spent on Overwatch and Starcraft 2 lol.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Typically use an Xbox-style controller (I much prefer the staggered thumbsticks) on both console and PC. I don't play competitive or shooters on PC so I'm not as a disadvantage there. But I need a mouse & key for the RTS and city builder type games.

Orenji Neko

Mouse and Keyboard is the most.
Switch Pro Controller is the only input method I use with the Switch, docked or portable. Both my joycons have that shitty drift anyway so I tossed them in a box.
Sega Genesis 6 button controller for my Genesis/SegaCD (duh I guess, heh), and with a usb adapter for fighting games on PC.

Least might be the Xbox 1 controller I have. It's a good controller, but I don't have many games on my PC where I feel like I'd rather use it than just KB/M. I do use it with Forza Horizon 4 for sure. I've tried it out with Monster Hunter World and the Senran Kagura games I have on PC, but I end up going back to KB/M. (I like to have sensitivity super high for super fast pivoting and camera panning.)

This has been my baby this gen. Halo 5 was impossible for me to play without it. Once I switched over to playing TMCC the weightiness of the controller has been a blessing. Love it and would love to get the new version, but I kinda need to get a Switch before i spend almost $200 on a new controller.

Daymos

Since the answer to the poll is kind of obvious, let me just say I love my Cyber Gadget Switch 'handygrip'. It feels like it should have came in the box with the console and you can remove the joycons.

cyber_switch_console_handy_grip_1553769638.jpg

Last edited:

zenspider

Dual Shock 4 (who knows)
Switch Pro Controller (@ 1500 hrs)
Joy-Cons (@ 500 hrs)
Hitbox (@350 hrs)
Arcade Stick (@250 hrs)

Top Bottom