• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What deserves our attention in Steam this week.

Hi all,

UPDATE 16/09/19

THE VERY BEST OF THE WEEK

COOL GAMES

BONUS TRACKS

YOU WILL FIND LAST WEEKS GAMES IN THE SPOILER

FIND IN THE LINKS PREVIOUS WEEKS UPDATES

SUPER SUMMER UPDATE 09/09/19

SUMMER UPDATE 26/08/19

UPDATE 4/08/19

UPDATE 28/07/19

UPDATE 15/07/19

UPDATE 07/07/19

UPDATE 01/07/19

UPDATE 23/06/19

UPDATE 16/06/19

UPDATE 10/06/19

UPDATE 02/06/19

UPDATE 26/05/19

UPDATE 20/05/19

UPDATE 13/05/19

UPDATE 06/05/19

UPDATE 29/04/19

UPDATE 22/04/19

UPDATE 15/04/19

UPDATE 08/04/19

UPDATE 01/04/19

UPDATE 25/03/19

UPDATE 18/03/19

UPDATE 11/03/19

UPDATE 04/03/19

UPDATE 18/02/19

UPDATE 11/02/19

UPDATE 04/02/19

UPDATE 28/01/19

UPDATE 14/01/19

UPDATE 07/01/19

UPDATE 31/12/18

UPDATE 24/12/18

UPDATE 17/12/18

UPDATE 10/12/18

UPDATE 03/12/18

UPDATE 26/11/18

UPDATE 19/11/18

UPDATE 12/11/18

UPDATE 07/11/18

UPDATE 22/07/19

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:

KiteGr

Both "Legend of Heroes: Trails of cold Steel" are currently on discount.
It's a series that's supposed to be really good.

No other Falcom game though...
Personally, I'm waising for a discount on Trails in the Sky to start the series from there, and Ys to get Celceta and Lacrimosa that I'm currently missing.

ROMhack

I'm going to plug this again as it's really fucking good. It's like a Japanese version of INSIDE but with a more coherent, personal story a la Firewatch or The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Came out two weeks ago but that's close enough.

Good thread btw. I had a look myself and couldn't see anything that interested me enough to share but I'll keep an eye out for the future.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Siralim 3 came out a couple of weeks ago and I've been playing nonstop. It's a combination of pokemon and disgaea. 700 monsters to collect each with a unique ability. Put a team together and see how far it takes you constantly level grinding and getting stronger.

I'm going to plug this again as it's really fucking good. It's like a Japanese version of INSIDE but with a more coherent, personal story a la Firewatch or The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

Sure, do it! I saw that game on Steam but I was not sure if this game would be good. Anyway has very good coments on steam so....

I'm not a PC gamer but thanks for your hard work in putting the thread together.

Hey don´t worry if I see that any of these games comes to consoles I´ll put it on the title! I rather to play on my PS4 but there´re a lot of fucking awesome games that only comes for PC... most of the times I wait for PS4 version but other times is not posible.

Awesome thread. Thank you will check out some games on steam as i have 150 in cash on steam

Hahah thanks!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
First up, thanks for the thread, much appreciated. My 2c on some of the games:

Call of Cthulu looks interesting. Will add to the 'buy when it gets cheap' list.
Orphan looks like a rip-off of Limbo.
Project Hospital is one I'll need to have a proper look at to see if it's worth my time when I have Theme Hospital (I get that they're different styles).
Rise - looks like shit.
Kartkraft - this has been in development hell for years and finally made it to early access - not currently compatible with quite a few wheels, no proper (multiview non-stretched) triple-screen rendering yet and no VR yet so it's a hard pass from me til it gets sorted.
Meow Motors - It'll have to go some to beat Sonic and Sega All-Stars Transformed or whatever the fuck it's called.

thanks for the thread

Thanks for your kind words!

Will add to the 'buy when it gets cheap' list

Hahaha! I have the retail edition, maybe I can give you an update in some weeks.

Project Hospital is one I'll need to have a proper look at to see if it's worth my time when I have Theme Hospital (I get that they're different styles).

I am surprised about this because a month ago was released Two point hospital and was a hit! And now Project hospital is going so well too. That´s crazy.

Meow Motors - It'll have to go some to beat Sonic and Sega All-Stars Transformed or whatever the fuck it's called.

Huaha I like this, last time I tried a game like thggis was Super fruit all stars racing and I didn´t snjoy it all, but this is going well and people like it!

LegendaryLife

Neo Member
My first response to this was, "are you implying that something worth looking at comes out on Steam every week?" Then I checked out the titles and I'm glad I did. I think a screenshot from each game in the thread would be cool, too.

Great thread, thank you!
Would love this to be a serial OT.

I would love to, thanks!

My first response to this was, "are you implying that something worth looking at comes out on Steam every week?" Then I checked out the titles and I'm glad I did. I think a screenshot from each game in the thread would be cool, too.

Yes, I thought the same, but maybe with the images the threard becomes too long? You think that will be a good idea? Maybe is to heavy to read or to follow.

There´re several games that are good every week, not every of them will like to everyone, but is a selection of various titles who could found his public.

Is really difficult to search into the trash to find them but I think it worth!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You're doing god's work, because I sure as hell wouldn't fancy wading through that much shite to find a diamond. I suspect during the big steam sales the gems will be less frequent btw.

You're doing god's work, because I sure as hell wouldn't fancy wading through that much shite to find a diamond. I suspect during the big steam sales the gems will be less frequent btw.

I enjoy it :)

Sure, not sure when the sales comming but will not very smart publish games on that sales.

I think this a great thread.

How do you select the titles you picked? Do you play a lot of games in a short amount of time or do you go through the release list and discard the low effort garbage?

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoy it :)

Sure, not sure when the sales comming but will not very smart publish games on that sales.

Absolutely - certainly I'd not release during those times. Generally people have a rough idea of the dates as Valve aren't great at keeping secrets.

Handy Fake

Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation (The Escapist) has put a glowing mini-review of "Return of the Obra Dinn" up yesterday. Might give it a look myself.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

How about this game by the creative director of Valiant Heart in collaboration with Aardman animation

I love the visuals, but the store page does a terrible job of explaining what the game is or enticing you in.

I think this a great thread.

How do you select the titles you picked? Do you play a lot of games in a short amount of time or do you go through the release list and discard the low effort garbage?

Actually I am working on a data analisys company so I have multiple tool and methods to choose which TAGS are beign popular on Steam and check from where is comming the information to every game. I check how much relevance has a title on internet so this means that there´re a lot of people talking about him.

On the other hand I was playing games since SEGA MEGADRIVE so I am a geek. So more or less I am able to see what game is not a shit on Steam. Anyway, I pick every day the games that follows the next parametres:
- Price
- Number of coments
- Quality of coments

So at last all the things that I check is:

- Key art
- Price
- Number of coments
- Quality of coments
- Value of the TAGS
- Steam page trafic
- SEO

Generally people have a rough idea of the dates as Valve aren't great at keeping secrets.

HAHAH

Cool. I'm new to steam. There's so much on there.

mmm you are going to live the worst days of Steam....

How about this game by the creative director of Valiant Heart in collaboration with Aardman animation

I´ll update it the next week, looks well.

Last edited:
I love the visuals, but the store page does a terrible job of explaining what the game is or enticing you in.

Terrible explanation... you´re right. Is published by Bandai Namco. I don´t why they did it so bad.
I am going to include in the list but... I am not albe to understand well the game is about.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I reckon the best option is to post the previous week's list as a new post in the thread, with the top thread containing the latest, with links to the posts for each prior week's list, but that's just my idea - there may be better approaches.

I reckon the best option is to post the previous week's list as a new post in the thread, with the top thread containing the latest, with links to the posts for each prior week's list, but that's just my idea - there may be better approaches.

Actually is a rellay good solution. I really apreciate the idea.

So do not exist any tool to hide part of the post right?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Not that I know of, perhaps the spoiler tags could work? The only thing there is that if it gets huge it might become a pain in the arse, especially from a browser rendering standpoint, all that extra content generated when you add a steam link (which seems to have broken due to too many items in one post but that's a matter for another day).

Helios

Maybe spoiler it like this?
- Call of Cthulhu

1924. Private Investigator Pierce is sent to look into the tragic death of the Hawkins family. Plunge into a world of creeping madness and cosmic horror. Cryptic clues, shadowy figures, and pure terror bar your way as you fight to retain your sanity and solve an otherworldly mystery.

- Phantom Halls

Phantom Halls is a squad-based side-scrolling comedy-horror game. Play as a group of teens as they attempt to survive the night in a haunted mansion. Single-player and local co-op supported!

- BLACK BIRD

This is the tale of a young girl who dies one day on a street corner and is reborn as the ominous Black Bird. Become the calamity, ‘Black Bird’, and destroy the kingdom.Experience the phantom opera in wonderland!

- Orphan

A 2D sci-fi platformer about a young boy who may be the last survivor of an alien invasion. Under the cover of night, he ventures out in search of other life and to seek revenge against the machines that have taken over the Earth.

- Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy

Giant monster mayhem! The evil Dr. Cube has used a forbidden weapon to tear apart time and space. It's up to the Kaiju Big Battel Heroes to travel through time and set things right! A turn-based RPG from the makers of C. Kane.

- Project Hospital

Become an ace doctor, an aspiring architect and a successful manager at the same time. Design your very own hospital, tweak every detail or use one of the predefined models and just jump to the doctor’s duty.

- The Blackout Club

The Blackout Club is a first-person co-op horror game centered around a group of teenage friends investigating a monstrous secret beneath the skin of their small town. 1-4 players explore procedurally-generated missions against a fearsome enemy you can only see with your eyes closed.

- Rise: Race The Future

Experience the most addictive racing gameplay! Drift and slide like never before thanks to an exceptional fluid and precise physics-based slippery handling. Unique futuristic cars, smooth powerslides, jumps and water zones take old-school rally arcade games to the next level of fun!

- Dungeon League

The Dungeon Master has a new favourite sport: Dungeon League takes everything that is awesome about dungeon crawling and spews it out as ten minutes of chaotic, competitive, multiplayer action.

-ADAPTR

Build physics-based vehicles from a range of modular blocks, solve puzzles to move down from orbit, across the Earth's surface and deep into the lost labs. Locate missing robots, explore secret areas and unlock the secrets of a long-lost civilisation.

- KartKraft

CHAMPIONS ARE MADE IN KARTKRAFT. No suspension, no downforce, no seatbelts; this is real kart racing. Sharpen your race craft as 20 other drivers hustle to get past and steal the chequered flag.

- Meow Motors

Meet the kitties, the heroes of the new go-kart racing game! Overcome obstacles on the tracks, evade mines and bombs, blast your competitors with bubble gum and other awesome weapons to stop or slow them down. And don’t forget to collect power-ups on the way to be the fastest driver on the track.

- Time Warpers

Time Warpers is the evolution of the popular incremental game Time Clickers. It combines the action of a first person looter shooter with the progression & upgrades of a clicker game.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Looks good to me, barring the issues I mentioned above - that it could get a bit hard on browsers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I know of, perhaps the spoiler tags could work? The only thing there is that if it gets huge it might become a pain in the arse, especially from a browser rendering standpoint, all that extra content generated when you add a steam link (which seems to have broken due to too many items in one post but that's a matter for another day).

Yes I like that idea!

Maybe spoiler it like this?
- Call of Cthulhu

1924. Private Investigator Pierce is sent to look into the tragic death of the Hawkins family. Plunge into a world of creeping madness and cosmic horror. Cryptic clues, shadowy figures, and pure terror bar your way as you fight to retain your sanity and solve an otherworldly mystery.

- Phantom Halls

Phantom Halls is a squad-based side-scrolling comedy-horror game. Play as a group of teens as they attempt to survive the night in a haunted mansion. Single-player and local co-op supported!

- BLACK BIRD

This is the tale of a young girl who dies one day on a street corner and is reborn as the ominous Black Bird. Become the calamity, ‘Black Bird’, and destroy the kingdom.Experience the phantom opera in wonderland!

- Orphan

A 2D sci-fi platformer about a young boy who may be the last survivor of an alien invasion. Under the cover of night, he ventures out in search of other life and to seek revenge against the machines that have taken over the Earth.

- Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy

Giant monster mayhem! The evil Dr. Cube has used a forbidden weapon to tear apart time and space. It's up to the Kaiju Big Battel Heroes to travel through time and set things right! A turn-based RPG from the makers of C. Kane.

- Project Hospital

Become an ace doctor, an aspiring architect and a successful manager at the same time. Design your very own hospital, tweak every detail or use one of the predefined models and just jump to the doctor’s duty.

- The Blackout Club

The Blackout Club is a first-person co-op horror game centered around a group of teenage friends investigating a monstrous secret beneath the skin of their small town. 1-4 players explore procedurally-generated missions against a fearsome enemy you can only see with your eyes closed.

- Rise: Race The Future

Experience the most addictive racing gameplay! Drift and slide like never before thanks to an exceptional fluid and precise physics-based slippery handling. Unique futuristic cars, smooth powerslides, jumps and water zones take old-school rally arcade games to the next level of fun!

- Dungeon League

The Dungeon Master has a new favourite sport: Dungeon League takes everything that is awesome about dungeon crawling and spews it out as ten minutes of chaotic, competitive, multiplayer action.

-ADAPTR

Build physics-based vehicles from a range of modular blocks, solve puzzles to move down from orbit, across the Earth's surface and deep into the lost labs. Locate missing robots, explore secret areas and unlock the secrets of a long-lost civilisation.

- KartKraft

CHAMPIONS ARE MADE IN KARTKRAFT. No suspension, no downforce, no seatbelts; this is real kart racing. Sharpen your race craft as 20 other drivers hustle to get past and steal the chequered flag.

- Meow Motors

Meet the kitties, the heroes of the new go-kart racing game! Overcome obstacles on the tracks, evade mines and bombs, blast your competitors with bubble gum and other awesome weapons to stop or slow them down. And don’t forget to collect power-ups on the way to be the fastest driver on the track.

- Time Warpers

Time Warpers is the evolution of the popular incremental game Time Clickers. It combines the action of a first person looter shooter with the progression & upgrades of a clicker game.

Yeah! That is just I was looking for!

But I don´t know how to do it. I was looking in the edit tools, but seems I am idiot haha.

Looks good to me, barring the issues I mentioned above - that it could get a bit hard on browsers.

Then lets pray for its devices...:messenger_clapping:

120v

I can't wait for this one. I´m ready to embrace the jank and immerse myself exploring the dark depths of the Stygian Abyss.

oh shit been waiting for this for years. so long i've pretty much forgotten about it.

honestly impressions have been pretty so so but i'll see how it goes.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can't wait for this one. I´m ready to embrace the jank and immerse myself exploring the dark depths of the Stygian Abyss.

I backed their Kickstarter a couple years ago. I'm anxious to see if its any good too. With all due respect, I'm a bit hesitant because I haven't exactly been following their updates. I own most of the Ultima Underworld titles and they're a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Domisto

There's some late 90s love letters going on. GRIP should be really good - basically Rollcage returns. And FMV taking off again. I see the same actor from Contradiction is in The Shapeshifting Detective.

I find myself really wanting to like Steel Rats, motorbike destruction and combat should be cool, but not sure.

LegendaryLife

Neo Member
You got rid of the cover art?? Come on, give me something to look at from each game so that I don't have to click through to every steam page to see what it looks like!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Great thread. I'm strongly considering picking up Shapeshifting Detective.

You got rid of the cover art?? Come on, give me something to look at from each game so that I don't have to click through to every steam page to see what it looks like!

Hhahhaha Is a lot of work mate, but I´ll try it the next time. What would you like sir? A screenshot or maybe the inlay of the game? :)

Great thread. I'm strongly considering picking up Shapeshifting Detective.

Thanks, happy to be helpful here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom