• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What deserves our attention in Steam this week.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I think LegendaryLife LegendaryLife is referring to what happens when you post a link to the steam store - it makes a big link with image, description, price, etc. The problem is, with too many links it stops doing that (and in this case only bothers with the first ones created which of course are now all in the spoiler tag) which is why I suspect separate posts for older lists may be best.

I think LegendaryLife LegendaryLife is referring to what happens when you post a link to the steam store - it makes a big link with image, description, price, etc. The problem is, with too many links it stops doing that (and in this case only bothers with the first ones created which of course are now all in the spoiler tag) which is why I suspect separate posts for older lists may be best.

Yes but anyway only let me introduce 5 media link per post so I will do the suggestion of LegendaryLife LegendaryLife

Bought GRIP: Combat Racing and its really fun but i miss some of the chaos rollcage had going on in its soundscape.. during racing.. particular i miss explosion sounds and racing engines they seem less apparent now. for some reason.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Got the latest tier 1 Humble Bundle purely for Distrust, didn't really have anywhere else to post these, so grab away.

Tokyo 42: 6336Q-LH6NT-JCW4G
Beholder: 86TFX-PH8I9-5EKXZ
Owell: EY2B2-M4CA8-NVCXH

Last edited:
MMM anything happens with my account, I am not able to edit my content or again post new topics... I was downgrade to Neo Member... What´s happening?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
MMM anything happens with my account, I am not able to edit my content or again post new topics... I was downgrade to Neo Member... What´s happening?

Odd - might be worth messaging a mod (look for someone with a red name) to see if they can help - eg Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights or EviLore EviLore - can't think of any others off the top of my head.

LegendaryLife LegendaryLife :

Sorry mate, I tried to post again with all the pictures but the forum doesn´t allowme alegated tat the post is too long. I can´t update the game with the images.

Maybe I could update only the bests games with pictures.

Blam

LegendaryLife LegendaryLife :

Sorry mate, I tried to post again with all the pictures but the forum doesn´t allowme alegated tat the post is too long. I can´t update the game with the images.

Maybe I could update only the bests games with pictures.
If anything why not make it all one long image for each game to make things easier.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I reckon my earlier suggestion of having a top post showing the latest with links to individual posts within this thread for each old weekly list will work best, as it'll get around the media limit by splitting the media among multiple posts.

I reckon my earlier suggestion of having a top post showing the latest with links to individual posts within this thread for each old weekly list will work best, as it'll get around the media limit by splitting the media among multiple posts.

I will have the same problem, I only can set 10 media links.- Do you think will be good idead made a top 10 with media images and others as secondary?

If anything why not make it all one long image for each game to make things easier.

Not sure about which is your idea. Only set a image which includes all images?

Look who's back lol

I don´t know about this game. Has any Story?

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I will have the same problem, I only can set 10 media links.

Not sure I follow - I suspect we're misunderstanding each other with possibly some language barrier issues here so I'll try again to explain the procedure I have in mind and we'll see if it helps. So.. my theory about what would work is this:

Main post - Links to Steam which get converted to show more detail - 10 of them ought to be enough to cover the week's games - it's unlikely that more than 10 good games will be released in a week. At the end of that post link to individual posts in this thread for last week, week before, etc...

In the linked posts for each PAST week, you can simply copy out the content that was previously the list of games in the original post, ie the steam links.

So.. first post:

TITLE
STEAM LINK 1
STEAM LINK 2
STEAM LINK 3.. etc

LINK TO LAST WEEK'S GAMES IN A POST IN THIS THREAD
LINK TO 2 WEEKS AGO GAMES IN A POST IN THIS THREAD
LINK TO 3 WEEKS AGO GAMES IN A POST IN THIS THREAD

The later posts for each week will just contain the steam links. Any individual post will likely never exceed the limits on the amount of media that can be added.

Does that make sense or have I just made it worse?

Not sure I follow - I suspect we're misunderstanding each other with possibly some language barrier issues here so I'll try again to explain the procedure I have in mind and we'll see if it helps. So.. my theory about what would work is this:

Main post - Links to Steam which get converted to show more detail - 10 of them ought to be enough to cover the week's games - it's unlikely that more than 10 good games will be released in a week. At the end of that post link to individual posts in this thread for last week, week before, etc...

In the linked posts for each PAST week, you can simply copy out the content that was previously the list of games in the original post, ie the steam links.

So.. first post:

TITLE
STEAM LINK 1
STEAM LINK 2
STEAM LINK 3.. etc

The later posts for each week will just contain the steam links. Any individual post will likely never exceed the limits on the amount of media that can be added.

Hey Hariseldon, don´t worry, I understoot you perfectly the first time you told me. Anyway, thanks for your detailed explanation, I don´t have to blow my mind to do it well, only follow your steps.

So yes, guess that this is the best choice.

But, I am not agree with you when you said that 10 must be enought. If there´re 12 that are great I would not like to dismiss them. The shitty enviroment caused by universities (who lies about the job opportunities), Unity and Unreal (with their free engines) and Steam (who is to lazy to check games) delivery around 50 games per week. That all also cause that there´re so many games that are cool every week but nobody have enought money to try all of them. But let them here a chance to be checked :)

So I am going to take you idea (thanks again) and do it a top 10 (with medialinks) and the rest for very niche or rare player choices hahahah.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Apologies - looking back at that post I suspect it may come across badly (back-seat driving). Didn't mean to be a dick. In general I'm ok with the democratization of game development - the tools being easy to use isn't a worry. Ultimately the hard bit of making a game was never the software development (I say that as a programmer) but rather the business of building a world, of fine-tuning controls, making sure gameplay loops work well. Many people who might have been able to do those things were shut out by impenetrable tools, so if more people are making games then we open up the possibility of more people making good games. The downside is not so much the tools but rather Steam's lack of interest in ensuring that asset-flip drivel doesn't make it to the store, turning it into the absolute shit-fest that the Google Play and iPhone app stores have become, with the attendant discovery issues (which of course is the problem that you solve in this thread - for which I am very grateful).

Once again my apologies for being a dick.

Apologies - looking back at that post I suspect it may come across badly (back-seat driving). Didn't mean to be a dick. In general I'm ok with the democratization of game development - the tools being easy to use isn't a worry. Ultimately the hard bit of making a game was never the software development (I say that as a programmer) but rather the business of building a world, of fine-tuning controls, making sure gameplay loops work well. Many people who might have been able to do those things were shut out by impenetrable tools, so if more people are making games then we open up the possibility of more people making good games. The downside is not so much the tools but rather Steam's lack of interest in ensuring that asset-flip drivel doesn't make it to the store, turning it into the absolute shit-fest that the Google Play and iPhone app stores have become, with the attendant discovery issues (which of course is the problem that you solve in this thread - for which I am very grateful).

Once again my apologies for being a dick.

I don´t think that you were a dick for your post hahah so don´t be worried about that.

Sure, the main problem is the shit that Steam is doing. They are dicks not you.

UPDATE 07/11/18

THE VERY BEST OF THE WEEK

Call of Cthulhu

1924. Private Investigator Pierce is sent to look into the tragic death of the Hawkins family. Plunge into a world of creeping madness and cosmic horror. Cryptic clues, shadowy figures, and pure terror bar your way as you fight to retain your sanity and solve an otherworldly mystery.

Project Hospital

Become an ace doctor, an aspiring architect and a successful manager at the same time. Design your very own hospital, tweak every detail or use one of the predefined models and just jump to the doctor’s duty.

The Blackout Club

The Blackout Club is a first-person co-op horror game centered around a group of teenage friends investigating a monstrous secret beneath the skin of their small town. 1-4 players explore procedurally-generated missions against a fearsome enemy you can only see with your eyes closed.

COOL GAMES

KartKraft

CHAMPIONS ARE MADE IN KARTKRAFT. No suspension, no downforce, no seatbelts; this is real kart racing. Sharpen your race craft as 20 other drivers hustle to get past and steal the chequered flag.

Meow Motors

Meet the kitties, the heroes of the new go-kart racing game! Overcome obstacles on the tracks, evade mines and bombs, blast your competitors with bubble gum and other awesome weapons to stop or slow them down. And don’t forget to collect power-ups on the way to be the fastest driver on the track.

Phantom Halls

Phantom Halls is a squad-based side-scrolling comedy-horror game. Play as a group of teens as they attempt to survive the night in a haunted mansion. Single-player and local co-op supported!

BLACK BIRD

This is the tale of a young girl who dies one day on a street corner and is reborn as the ominous Black Bird. Become the calamity, ‘Black Bird’, and destroy the kingdom.Experience the phantom opera in wonderland!

Dungeon League

The Dungeon Master has a new favourite sport: Dungeon League takes everything that is awesome about dungeon crawling and spews it out as ten minutes of chaotic, competitive, multiplayer action.

ADAPTR

Build physics-based vehicles from a range of modular blocks, solve puzzles to move down from orbit, across the Earth's surface and deep into the lost labs. Locate missing robots, explore secret areas and unlock the secrets of a long-lost civilisation.

Time Warpers

Time Warpers is the evolution of the popular incremental game Time Clickers. It combines the action of a first person looter shooter with the progression & upgrades of a clicker game.

BONUS TRACKS

Orphan

A 2D sci-fi platformer about a young boy who may be the last survivor of an alien invasion. Under the cover of night, he ventures out in search of other life and to seek revenge against the machines that have taken over the Earth.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/549700/Orphan/

Kaiju Big Battel: Fighto Fantasy

Giant monster mayhem! The evil Dr. Cube has used a forbidden weapon to tear apart time and space. It's up to the Kaiju Big Battel Heroes to travel through time and set things right! A turn-based RPG from the makers of C. Kane.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/611710/Kaiju_Big_Battel_Fighto_Fantasy/

Rise: Race The Future

Experience the most addictive racing gameplay! Drift and slide like never before thanks to an exceptional fluid and precise physics-based slippery handling. Unique futuristic cars, smooth powerslides, jumps and water zones take old-school rally arcade games to the next level of fun!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/955580/Rise_Race_The_Future/#app_reviews_hash

Last edited:

So.. first post:

TITLE
STEAM LINK 1
STEAM LINK 2
STEAM LINK 3.. etc

So mate I am changing the post in the way you suggested.

Now how couls I include the last weeks links in the main post?

Lanrutcon

Why sucks? I don´t know nothing about this game.

It was terrible on launch. Over hyped (because it came from developers with a pedigree), and did not deliver at all. I don't know what development has happened since then, but it needed extreme work on all fronts.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So mate I am changing the post in the way you suggested.

Now how couls I include the last weeks links in the main post?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/what-deserves-our-attention-in-steam-this-week.1467723/post-253578357 is a link to the 7/11/18 update - you get the link by clicking on the "17 minutes ago" bit at the top of a post (on desktop at least - may be different on mobile). So something like...

7th November 2018 Update

.. or similar ought to work.

It was terrible on launch. Over hyped (because it came from developers with a pedigree), and did not deliver at all. I don't know what development has happened since then, but it needed extreme work on all fronts.

So do you think I musn´t introduce it in the weekly update? It deserves our attention?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say that anything that looks interesting gets to go in, ie it piques your interest, or you judge it as something that others will be interested in. It's your thread, thus you get to call the shots ;)

bati

For those of you looking forward to Underworld Ascendant, the beta impressions from backers seem really negative. Totally killed my hype :(

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
For those of you looking forward to Underworld Ascendant, the beta impressions from backers seem really negative. Totally killed my hype :(

Yeah I've seen the poor response, and tbh the videos I've seen don't do much for me - very very generic and really nothing to grab onto and be excited by.

HyGogg

Banned
Backers are a bunch of entitled shits who are mad that the thing they paid half price for is not literally plucked from their dreams. A lot of the bitching is juvenile shit about the fact that the game has an art style and colors in it, or that it doesn't have the dialog system from a game from 1991.

With that said, UA is going to be a polarizing game. It's kind of brilliant, and it's also kind of a mess. It tosses out so much of what we expect from modern game design that it takes time to re-acclimate to.

Usually, even in games that claim to be immersive sims, that emphasize choice, those choices still come down to the fact that the designer put some deliberately placed alternate paths or methods in the game, and you're simply choosing one of several pre-selected "right" ways. In UA everything in it is simulated and dynamic, and nothing in it clicks into place of feels exactly right so you know your on the right path. There is literally no right way to play, it's all experimenting and trying things multiple times until they work right. It sort of feels like you're constantly breaking the game.

But in that sense, it might be the truest immersive sim ever. It simply does not give a fuck how you get things done, it just lets these systems interact and you can figure it out.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Backers are a bunch of entitled shits who are mad that the thing they paid half price for is not literally plucked from their dreams. A lot of the bitching is juvenile shit about the fact that the game has an art style and colors in it, or that it doesn't have the dialog system from a game from 1991.

With that said, UA is going to be a polarizing game. It's kind of brilliant, and it's also kind of a mess. It tosses out so much of what we expect from modern game design that it takes time to re-acclimate to.

Usually, even in games that claim to be immersive sims, that emphasize choice, those choices still come down to the fact that the designer put some deliberately placed alternate paths or methods in the game, and you're simply choosing one of several pre-selected "right" ways. In UA everything in it is simulated and dynamic, and nothing in it clicks into place of feels exactly right so you know your on the right path. There is literally no right way to play, it's all experimenting and trying things multiple times until they work right. It sort of feels like you're constantly breaking the game.

But in that sense, it might be the truest immersive sim ever. It simply does not give a fuck how you get things done, it just lets these systems interact and you can figure it out.
As an old-school player of Ultima, the bolded is the way things should be. Ultima was the open-world sim many years before other companies had figured things out. Anyone confused by this didn't spend very much time (or any time at all) playing the old Ultima games.

HyGogg

Banned
As an old-school player of Ultima, the bolded is the way things should be. Ultima was the open-world sim many years before other companies had figured things out. Anyone confused by this didn't spend very much time (or any time at all) playing the old Ultima games.
It's definitely a very deliberate choice for this game, but it runs completely counter to most of the rest of modern game design, including stuff like Dishonored and Deus Ex HR that are supposedly about choice.

That's going to put a lot of people off. But there are also people that are really going to love that.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Did you see this game earlier?
Yes I saw some information for the game prior to seeing it in this thread.

It's definitely a very deliberate choice for this game, but it runs completely counter to most of the rest of modern game design, including stuff like Dishonored and Deus Ex HR that are supposedly about choice.

That's going to put a lot of people off. But there are also people that are really going to love that.
I take it as a sign that the market has matured to the point where nearly every interest can be simultaneously catered to. I mean, an Ultima game rocking the charts was always a long shot. However, the fact that they stayed so true to the franchise roots is nothing short of a miracle. I hope they continue patching/refining the game to deal with some of the bugs, of course.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Ok now you got my attention. Seems I'll need to give it more scrutiny than I first thought,.

Helios

Oh boy. Maybe this time it won't suck?
It's still the same game. The only difference is that it includes the expansions. I played it a few years ago and honestly I still enjoyed it for all it's flaws. It was the precursor to Borderlands and it shows. Unfortunately this version is I think SP only.

Love that you brought the Steam links back! Now we can see the cover art! But I still wish there were some screenshots...

Mate I can´t! I told it in a previous post. If I set up screenshots, the post is very long and appears a message like: - "This post is too long so you are fucked so can´t do this".

Top Bottom