• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What deserves our attention in Steam this week.

UPDATE 12/11/18

THE VERY BEST OF THE WEEK

OVERKILL's The Walking Dead

OVERKILL’s The Walking Dead is a four player co-op action FPS, where you fight the dead as well as the living. Set in The Walking Dead Universe, you and your group try to survive in a post-apocalyptic Washington D.C.

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales

Thronebreaker is a single player role-playing game set in the world of The Witcher that combines narrative-driven exploration with unique puzzles and card battle mechanics.

HellSign

HellSign is an investigative action RPG that pits you against the horrors of the afterlife, let loose on a small town. As a hunter, you’ll plan, hunt, and kill to pay the bills and piece together the fragments to your past. Just remember - a smart hunter is always prepared.

COOL GAMES

GRIP: Combat Racing

GRIP is a high octane, hardcore combat racer, packing ferocious speed and armed to the teeth with heavy weapons.

TSIOQUE

TSIOQUE is a dark but playful Point & Click adventure, hand-animated in meticulous, frame-by-frame 2D. Escape the clutches of an Evil Wizard and discover the secrets hidden within the spellbound castle of your ancestors. We take the role of princess Tsioque, imprisoned in a castle overtaken by the Evil.

KURSK

KURSK is the first ever adventure and documentary video game inspired by real events. You assume the role of a spy who finds way on the Russian nuclear submarine K-141 Kursk. Your task is to collect secret information about the revolutionary Shkval supercavitating torpedoes.

Holy Potatoes! A Spy Story?!

Holy Potatoes! A Spy Story?! is a wacky spy agency sim where you manage your very own potato spy headquarters, train an elite spy team, and strategize top-secret missions while uncovering the truth behind an evil spy corporation.

Steel Rats

Wreck and ride in a visceral and ground-breaking evolution of the 2.5D action arcade genre, fusing destructive, octane-fuelled, motorbike combat and death-defying stunt gameplay, set in a visually stylised retro future world. Switch between four unique characters as you wreak havoc!

11-11 Memories Retold

11th November 1916, a young photographer leaves Canada to join the western front in Europe. The same day, a German technician is told that his son is missing in action. Both want to preserve their humanity and come back alive to their loved ones.

Thief Simulator

Become the best thief. Gather intel, steal things and sell them to buy hi-tech equipment. Do everything that a real thief does.

BONUS TRACKS

My Big Sister

My name is Luzia...and this story isn't about me, but my sister. Play as Luzia in her quest to return home. After Luzia and her older sister, Sombria are abducted by strangers; it is up to Luzia to help her and her sister home.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/733300/My_Big_Sister/

Evil Bank Manager

What could be better than having a million? Have a Billion? But this will not give you all power over the world. Your goal is not to make a lot of money - but to start printing them. Become a Federal Reserve System and you become greatest!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/896160/Evil_Bank_Manager/

TITAN SLAYER Ⅱ

TITAN SLAYER is back to VR world!!!Fighting against massive giant creature by using your sword, bow and gun. Introducing a whole new movement system will let you improving your game action. Use your whole body and skills to fight against enormous enemies.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/906770/TITAN_SLAYER/

The Shapeshifting Detective

The Shapeshifting Detective is a supernatural murder mystery FMV game where you play as a detective who can shapeshift into other characters, allowing you to unlock secret conversations and private encounters. From the makers of "The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker".

https://store.steampowered.com/app/898650/The_Shapeshifting_Detective/

Lost in Vivo

A horror game about claustrophobia. During a storm your service dog is forced down a broken sewer drain. You find the nearest sewer entrance and run in after it. Along the way you will meet others that are also stricken by abnormal or psychological fear.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/963710/Lost_in_Vivo/

A Game About

A Game About is a free, short, lo-fi point & click adventure that tasks the player with living with their daily routine. Through day to day choices, life changes in imperceptibles and unexpected ways.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/927990/A_Game_About/

Zero Caliber VR

Zero Caliber is a military FPS developed exclusively for VR. Customize your weapons on-the-fly, fight alongside your friends in Co-op (PvP coming soon!) and use your tactical skills to accomplish the mission: saving humanity! Engaging story, realistic weapon handling and physics in an immersive environment!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/877200/Zero_Caliber_VR/

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's just catching up with the release of some of those on GOG. Personally I prefer GOG for its DRM-free nature of course, but that's just me and my tinfoil-hat-wearing ways.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Could be. I only prefer other PC platforms because Steam is a shit now a days.

I don't mind Steam as a software repository, but generally I buy on cdkeys.com, humble, or wherever, if I want a steam key, and generally get stuff on GOG if it's available there. The Steam store itself is an absolute disaster though, with so much trash getting in the way making it really fucking hard to find the gold.

I don't mind Steam as a software repository, but generally I buy on cdkeys.com, humble, or wherever, if I want a steam key, and generally get stuff on GOG if it's available there. The Steam store itself is an absolute disaster though, with so much trash getting in the way making it really fucking hard to find the gold.

What more bad things has to do Steam to not be the main software platform?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
What more bad things has to do Steam to not be the main software platform?

In general I'd say they're chaotic neutral rather than outright evil, and the key thing is they don't do anything to stop other platforms from existing. Bear in mind that it's fairly obvious with Microsoft's efforts at the app store for Windows 8 and 10 that they would like to lock the platform down to be something like iOS, with a walled-garden. Now I can appreciate the benefits of that from a security point of view but I'm a bit tinfoil hat, I use linux regularly on the desktop ffs, so shit like that just won't fly with me. It's desperately important that mainstream computing is done on a relatively open platform (even if sadly it's not open-source - though I'd argue that even open-source can be misused as we see with Android etc and perhaps now the emphasis should be on open data and ownership of your own content).

In general I'd say they're chaotic neutral rather than outright evil, and the key thing is they don't do anything to stop other platforms from existing. Bear in mind that it's fairly obvious with Microsoft's efforts at the app store for Windows 8 and 10 that they would like to lock the platform down to be something like iOS, with a walled-garden. Now I can appreciate the benefits of that from a security point of view but I'm a bit tinfoil hat, I use linux regularly on the desktop ffs, so shit like that just won't fly with me. It's desperately important that mainstream computing is done on a relatively open platform (even if sadly it's not open-source - though I'd argue that even open-source can be misused as we see with Android etc and perhaps now the emphasis should be on open data and ownership of your own content).

Hahah you were too much detailed. I am mostly agree with you (I am not fan about open DRM) but I only want to share my hate about new Steam policy... a few years ago Steam was great. Now everyday I am F**ing upset checking shitty developers realising trash projects.

petran79

Banned
I think it's just catching up with the release of some of those on GOG. Personally I prefer GOG for its DRM-free nature of course, but that's just me and my tinfoil-hat-wearing ways.

Gog is also better at optimizing old Windows titles. They use different developers than Steam

UPDATE 19/11/18

DISTRAINT 2

You are Price, a man who sold his humanity to get a partnership from a leading company: McDade, Bruton & Moore. DISTRAINT 2 follows on from the events of the first game. It's a sinister tale about restoring hope and finding your purpose.

HITMAN™ 2

Travel the globe and track your targets across exotic sandbox locations in HITMAN™ 2. From sun-drenched streets to dark and dangerous rainforests, nowhere is safe from the world’s most creative assassin, Agent 47 in the ultimate spy thriller story.

Bad North

Bad North is a charming but brutal real-time tactics roguelite. Defend your idyllic island kingdom against a horde of Viking invaders, as you lead the desperate exodus of your people. Command your loyal subjects to take full tactical advantage of the unique shape of each island.

COOL GAMES

Little Dragons Café

Little Dragons Café opens with a twin brother and sister learning to cook and manage a small café with their mother. All was routine until one morning when the twins discover that their mother won’t wake up. Suddenly a strange old man appears and tells them that they must raise a dragon to save her.

HELLGATE: London

The return of a sensational game! Hellgate is an action RPG game you have been waiting for. Since its first release Hellgate won the hearts of thousands of fans and now it's time to bring back memories and dip into the near future of 2038. For all mankind!

killer7

Step into the stylish and sinister world of killer7, the cult classic from Grasshopper Manufacture, Ltd., available for the first time in 13 years. Renowned for its unique gameplay and legendary storytelling from SUDA51, Hiroyuki Kobayashi, and Shinji Mikami, arrives on Steam for the first time.

Plague Inc: Evolved

The Plague is a True FPS action game set in a medieval themed fictional world. Online multiplayer, Team Objective game. Build, Heal, Siege, Burn, Destroy, Kill and Defend! 2 factions, 4 classes and lots of infected. Play as Archer, Crusader, PlagueDoctor or Blacksmith.

Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus

Take control of the most technologically advanced army in the Imperium - The Adeptus Mechanicus. Your every decision will weigh heavily on the outcome of the mission, in this turn-based tactical game. Will you be blessed by the Omnissiah?

BONUS TRACKS

Zup! S

Minimal physical puzzle with explosions

Windlands 2

A first person grappling hook exploration game. Return to the world of Windlands, alone or with friends. Armed with grappling hooks and a bow, soar through the ruins of a fallen world. Embark on a journey to destroy the gigantic titans and save the world from an ancient danger.

Runes: The Forgotten Path

In Runes you are a renegade wizard fighting for survival in a virtual fantasy world. Use the movement of your hands to cast powerful spells, solve puzzles and fight enemies. Explore rich and detailed worlds in complete VR immersion in this story driven fantasy adventure.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/457130/Runes_The_Forgotten_Path/

The Room Three

Lured to a remote island, you find yourself confined within the rooms of an ominous mansion. You must draw upon all your puzzle-solving ability to navigate a series of trials devised by a mysterious figure known only as “The Craftsman”. Do you have what it takes to escape?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/456750/The_Room_Three/

Reentry - An Orbital Simulator

Do you have what it takes to be an astronaut? Reentry is a realistic space flight simulator based on NASAs space programs; from the first American human spaceflight in Project Mercury, the rendezvous and EVAs of Project Gemini to the Moon landing in Project Apollo.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/882140/Reentry__An_Orbital_Simulator/#app_reviews_hash

Last edited:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Did you try Shapeshifting Detective Bboy AJ?
I didn't but I did pick up its prequel, "The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker." Wouldn't have done so otherwise. I'll grab Shapeshifting when it hits a bigger sale.

Nov 7, 2018

Hi all,

I am going to start this topic to create a weekly list with the games that are actually games and are cool on Steam, Those guys are realising arounf 50 games per week so we are loosing some games that actually rocks!

That´s why I am volunteer to create this list weekly (I like to check Steam every day). I will do this every Monday.

26/11/18 UPDATE

Farming Simulator 19

The best-selling franchise takes a giant leap forward with a complete overhaul of the graphics engine, offering the most striking and immersive visuals and effects, along with the deepest and most complete farming experience ever.

Storm Boy

Based on Colin Thiele's 1964 children’s book of the same name, Storm Boy takes place on the beaches of South Australia near the mouth of the Murray River, where the titular protagonist rescues orphaned pelican chicks, one of whom later becomes the child’s pet and faithful companion, Mr. Percival.

The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game

You're a detective, and a frog, and it's time to solve a mystery.

COOL GAMES

Overdungeon

A completely new style real-time card battle "Overdungeon" Overdungeon combines rogue-like, tower defense and card games. More than 100 cards are Attack, Animal, Building, Spell, Trap, etc..Build your creative and crazy deck!

Element: Space

Element: Space is a turn-based tactical squad RPG set two hundred years in the future. You’ll step into the shoes of rogue captain Christopher Pietham and lead your crew in the fight against Tempest, an underground terrorist network wreaking havoc on the galaxy.

Protocol

By signing below, you agree to follow the Protocol. Protocol is a program of strict rules created to make first contact with an alien life form that got shot down in the Arctic Circle.

Age of Civilizations II

Age of Civilizations II is a grand strategy wargame that is simple to learn yet hard to master.Your objective is to use military tactics and cunning diplomacy to either unify the world, or conquer it.Will the world bleed out or bow before you? The choice is yours..

Equilinox

Equilinox is a relaxing nature simulation game in which you can create and nurture your own ecosystems. Shape the world to your liking, cultivate and raise hundreds of different species, and evolve your wildlife to unlock more exotic plants and animals.

Maia

Maia is a colony building game set in the not-so-distant future. Your colonists make planetfall on a hostile world and you must ensure their survival and their safety, constructing their off-world habitat from almost nothing and sheltering them from a dangerous, often deadly environment.

Quiet as a Stone

Remake the world in this minimalistic slow game for casual creators. Discover a long lost history. Create your own scenes. Explore atmospheric countryside vignettes. Sit by Campfires. Relaxing ambient soundscapes with satisfying interactions. Extensive photography mode. Embrace impermanence.

BONUS TRACKS

Apollo 11 VR HD

Apollo 11 VR HD is the story of the greatest journey ever taken by humankind. Now you get to experience this historic event through the eyes of those who lived through it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/953840/Apollo_11_VR_HD/

Montaro RE

The DOGE is back!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/971680/Montaro_RE/

Last edited:

Mexen

Big XCOM fan so I have my eyes on Mutant Year Zero. I feel like PC will be the best way to play it but I am on Linux. It takes a while for us folk to be noticed (I don't use Wine :) )

Jae Mara

Yesterday Mutant Year Zero was released!!

Seems to have flown under the radar or at least I havent heard or seen much since around E3. No OT or threads about it. Getting some good reviews here and there. I would like to jump in the new year perhaps, give it a go.

Seems to have flown under the radar or at least I havent heard or seen much since around E3. No OT or threads about it. Getting some good reviews here and there. I would like to jump in the new year perhaps, give it a go.
Yes, me niether. Is like the PR doesn´t announced the release of the game. I didn´t found any notice about the release. But on the other hand the PSN store put the game in the main page as a great release.

Nope! I learned about both through your thread. Thanks for keeping it going.

Yeeeah! That´s the idea of this thread. I only wanted to hear that this thread is helpfull hahaha

Jae Mara

Yes, me niether. Is like the PR doesn´t announced the release of the game. I didn´t found any notice about the release. But on the other hand the PSN store put the game in the main page as a great release.

I guess being on PSN store front is something. I assume the developers money went into the game rather than spending it on any PR budget, the game itself looks pretty slick so hope they can at least recoup what it costs.

I guess being on PSN store front is something. I assume the developers money went into the game rather than spending it on any PR budget, the game itself looks pretty slick so hope they can at least recoup what it costs.

Anyway they use their money in the development, this game was in E3 and press would like to recieve any press release from developers... some PR only need some time... 1 day maybe? I guess press like to talk about this game... I don´t know what happens.

Project Warlock is in my list for the next week. I saw this game months ago and I really like it. It´s a pleasure find it definetly on Steam.

But I am not sure about Katamari. Could you tell us something about this game?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
But I am not sure about Katamari. Could you tell us something about this game?
Quirky PS2 cult classic, like a super monkey ball or marble madness where the aim is not to race or reach a specific point in the level but to roll up all kinds of random items, objects and more to keep making your ball of junk bigger and bigger so you can roll up bigger objects and so on with different goals per level and a far out story. I'm sure most people here have heard of it.
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/katamari-damacy

Last edited:
Quirky PS2 cult classic, like a super monkey ball or marble madness where the aim is not to race or reach a specific point in the level but to roll up all kinds of random items, objects and more to keep making your ball of junk bigger and bigger so you can roll up bigger objects and so on with different goals per level and a far out story. I'm sure most people here have heard of it.
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/katamari-damacy

Oh really?

Ok you convinced me, I will include it in the list this week :)

Has an awesome metacritic.

Alexios

Yeah, not sure how enhanced this release is to be dubbed Reroll, doesn't look like a full remake at first glance but I didn't have it on PS2 to make a comparison.

Alexios

Cos just cos I had a Dreamcast at the time and then PC and never a PS2 doesn't mean I was blind to the rest of the industry, just as I knew about the PlayStation games when I had a Saturn and know about console games and exclusives now that I only have PC. I love gaming, I play, read, research, at one point I wrote about it as a hobbyist and later a professional now I'm back to just doing it and not writing :)

Last edited:
Cos just cos I had a Dreamcast at the time and then PC and never a PS2 doesn't mean I was blind to the rest of the industry, just as I knew about the PlayStation games when I had a Saturn and know about console games and exclusives now that I only have PC. I love gaming, I play, read, research, at one point I wrote about it as a hobbyist and later a professional now I'm back to just doing it and not writing :)

Nice! So help me with this thread if you find something awesome!

Alexios

DUSK IS FULLY RELEASED I THINK OR CLOSE TO IT OMG OMG OMG ANYWAY OFF TO PLAY THE 3D EPISODE MYSELF (This is like the various Doom campaigns, not some episodic game, lol) BYE.
It's a bit weird, seems they updated the whole thing now but I guess it will only be marked as a full out of ea launch tomorrow or something, I dunno, for all intents and purposes it's here though!

Needs an OT dammit. Copy paste:

LAUNCH INFO
dba4ad39e8ed68d1c709479bf4383de3dce60ca4.png

Only days remain...

Hours...

Minutes...

DUSK is almost here.

But when exactly?!
I'm glad you asked...

DUSK: Episode 3 Early Access will be available on December 7th (Friday) at 9pm PST!
Here's a handy countdown to make it easy for you to know exactly when

It's not too late to get Early Access to Episode 3 on Friday night!
You can still get the game in Early Access (like right now) and give us that sweet sweet extra $3 and play Episode 3 this weekend. You know you wanna...

Oh, and since we messed up and forgot to add a new package to Steam on Halloween...

EVERYONE who buys the game in Early Access will be getting the graphic novel FOR FREE. (We really do hate money)

Free comics for everyone! Woo!
5f1159e57f6efdec5af9f48c149e216f63e4a454.jpg

Anyway... for those of you who are holding out for the FULL LAUNCH:

DUSK will be FULLY launched on December 10th (Monday) at 11am PST!
Count down with us!

When DUSK is available on December 10th, you'll be able to purchase DUSK or upgrade to the "Intruder Edition" which includes the Soundtrack and Graphic Novel for an additional $10.

That's it. No other fancy editions. No DLC. No micro transactions.
Meanwhile - if you want to support Andrew Hulshult and his KILLER soundtrack as much as possible - feel free to buy the "Intruder Edition" or get the OST directly from Andrew on his Bandcamp which will be up... SOON.

Until then - follow him on Twitter to know exactly when the OST will be available... EVERYWHERE.

It won't be long now... ARE YOU FEELIN WORTHY, PUNK?!

Last edited:
This week JUST CAUSE 4 has a honorable mention... is a shit.

Only a 33% of positive coments is Steam made this game one of the shittiest release this year... could be worst than Fallout 76?

Domisto

Ouch, I know 3 got lukewarm feels but I thought they would bounce back. I've still got 2 sat on my shelf, untouched, lol.

UPDATE 3/12/18

Darksiders III

Return to an apocalyptic Earth in Darksiders III, a hack-n-slash Action Adventure where players assume the role of FURY in her quest to hunt down and dispose of the Seven Deadly Sins. The most enigmatic of the Four Horsemen, FURY must bring balance to the forces that now ravage Earth.

Artifact

A collaboration between legendary game designer Richard Garfield and Valve, Artifact offers the deepest gameplay and the highest-fidelity experience ever seen in a trading card game.

X4: Foundations

X4: FOUNDATIONS, the long awaited sequel in the successful X series, brings our most sophisticated universe SIMULATION ever. Fly every ship, EXPLORE space or manage an empire; TRADE, FIGHT, BUILD and THINK carefully, while you embark on an epic journey.

COOL GAMES

Rapture Rejects

The Rapture Has Happened. You didn't make the cut. Rapture Rejects is a top down isometric last man standing game set in the apocalyptic Cyanide & Happiness universe.

Asterix & Obelix XXL 2

Asterix & Obelix XXL 2 brings the experience of the original game to an unparalleled level. The enhanced graphics pay tribute to the comic books and the gameplay has been totally redesigned to make fighting the Romans even more fun!

Broken Reality

A humorous adventure set in a 3D parody of the internet. Diverse puzzles, beautiful worlds, friends, experiences, upgrades and more, await those who 'log on'!

Parkitect

Parkitect is a business simulation game that charges you with the construction and management of theme parks! Bringing back the best of classic theme park games with many new features and content on top.

FIGHTING EX LAYER

After a long wait, Arika's EX characters gather once again for another exciting battle! Kairi, Skullomania, Blaire, Pullum and the others are all back with the latest graphics. And this time they're bringing a brand new system - the "Gougi System". Grasp victory with Gougi!

RIDE 3

Experience the most complete racing ever with RIDE 3! Race on different tracks all over the world, put your favourite vehicles' speed to the test and have fun by customising them with the new Livery Editor.

Pirates of the Polygon Sea

Delve into a world of pirates, mythical creatures, and high seas adventure! Slay dangerous beasts, discover lost treasures, navigate perilous storms, and fight fierce sea battles on your quest to rule the Mythic Isles as a legendary swashbuckler.

BONUS TRACKS

Saboteur!

Saboteur! is the classic retro game hit made by Clive Townsend in 1985 for the ZX Spectrum 8-bit computer. Now after 33 years SimFabric in collaboration with Clive Townsend have prepared the special remastered version of Saboteur! for PC.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/940150/Saboteur/#app_reviews_hash

Epic Battle Fantasy 5

A turn-based RPG adventure, full of video game references, juvenile dialogue, and anime fanservice... and also strategic combat, monster catching, and tons of treasure hunting!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/432350/Epic_Battle_Fantasy_5/

R-Type Dimensions EX

R-Type and R-Type II, the legendary coin-op space shooters, are now together on Steam!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/928390/RType_Dimensions_EX/

EMERGENCY 2

Save Lives! When disaster strikes it all comes down to you! Take command of firefighters, doctors and more in this EMERGENCY Classics re-release of EMERGENCY 2. Now playable on modern operating systems!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/977840/EMERGENCY_2/

Top Bottom