• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What displays are you guys using for gaming and do you plan on upgrading your displays soon?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Since there seems to be interest in TVs in this section of the forums, I'm wondering on which TVs (or monitors) y'all are gaming. I'm currently gaming primarily on a TCL 55R617, to which my PlayStation 4 Pro and my Xbox One X are connected (though I honestly don't play the second console much). I've also got an LG 43UH6500, which I bought back in 2016 and now use as a monitor for my PC, on which I also don't play games much nowadays. I'm currently waiting for TCL to release 2020's 6 Series and 8 Series, since the former will feature the Mini LED technology that was introduced in 2019's 8 Serise, which has approximately 1000 dimming zones, and since the latter will include a new wave of Mini LED technology that will enable it to feature over 5000 dimming zones. If the 8 Series doesn't have a 55" variant, then I'll settle for the 6 Series. What about y'all?

78Eumw2.jpg

DeaDPo0L84

I use a 27" Asus ROG Swift pg279q for PC gaming. I have a PS4 Pro hooked up to a Sony X900f, but honestly I prefer gaming on a monitor so I'll probably just hook the PS5 up to mine.

Last edited:

Naglafar

I will probably get one of the 2020 vizio m series that has variables refresh rate and hdr. My current gaming TV is a 5 year old Samsung, so one of those is quite tht upgrade.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

Unfortunately it's hard to justify putting down this much cash for a gaming monitor, but would love to get one of these it has 240hx refresh rate on a 1440p superultrawide with 1ms input lag, just some amazing tech

That's looks amazing. It looks like gaming on it would be very immersive. It's a shame that it's so expensive, though.
I use a 27" Asus ROG Swift pg279q for PC gaming. I have a PS4 Pro hooked up to a Sony X900f, but honestly I prefer gaming on a monitor so I'll probably just hook the PS5 up to mine.

What makes you favor monitors over TVs? Isn't the 27" screen of your monitor less immersive than the 49" or 55" or 65" screen of your X900F?

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
65inch LG CX OLED. Was tempted to go for the 77 inch. I think I’ll stick with this for a while;)

I have never played a game above 1080p on it yet. Come in PS5.

The recent Freesync Premium update was a welcome touch.

Last edited:

idrago01

Banned
That's looks amazing. It looks like gaming on it would be very immersive. It's a shame that it's so expensive, though.

What makes you favor monitors over TVs? Isn't the 27" screen of your monitor less immersive than the 49" or 55" or 65" screen of your X900F?
For me it's the lag, I can't play fighting games on a tv for example, the monitor is just so much more responsive although tv's are getting better

Vasto

Rocking a Vizio 65inch M8 Series. Waiting to see Vizio's 2020 P Quantum X and OLED with the new Pro Gaming Engine and IQ Ultra Processor. Also waiting to see TCL's 2020 QLED and Mini LED Series.

egocrata

Banned
Some Dell TN 1440p/144Hz monitor with Gsync I got heavily discounted last year. The fact that it is TN does not bother me as I am color blind,

it is a decent monitor, mind you, but not top of the line.

I have the PS3/Wii/Dreamcast (still alive!) hooked to a cheap 40 inch Vizio TV. 1080p, but no other fancy feature. For the PS3 is plenty.

Last edited:
55" ancient 1080P Toshiba LED I've had for 10 years for the Xbone, Switch and Analog consoles. No real plans on upgrading the TV as it works perfectly fine for all those and I don't watch any TV at all and rarely watch movies at home.

40" 4K Philips monitor for the PC. Bought it primarily for the real estate when using Krita or Photoshop. Will be moving to something with a higher refresh but probably not until after the 3080ti is released, then I'll go balls-out. I'm seriously considering the Samsung Odyssey G9. It's not cheap, but I've been pretty frugal in my other hobbies as of late.

DavidGzz

Using a TCL 605p I think. Found out it does 120hz at 1080p but will probably still buy a monitor for next gen. Not sure what I want yet.

DeaDPo0L84

I would've agreed with you a year ago when I was exclusively a couch gamer always owning a pretty current Sony 55" 4k TV.

Then I built my first gaming PC and a game I played for hundreds of hours was Destiny 2 o my PS4. When I first experienced 120fps,g-sync, 105 fov, @ 1440p resolution I legit can't go back to playing Destiny 2 on console.

So for me immersiveness became a better gameplay experience on a smaller screen versus lesser gaming quality on a big screen. When I'm playing a game for nearly 1,000 hours I want the absolute best gameplay experience. The PC plus the monitor I have delivered that for me personally.

Also I feel every bit as immersed with a 27" screen 1-2ft in front of me. I can make out the tiniest details and see the action more clearly versus a large screen. Again all this is my personal preference,not trying to say one is definitively better than the other.

Last edited:

Banned
Switch, One X and PS4 pro (and some older systems) are on a 55" Samsung 4k60hz/1440p120hz HDR1000 TV with freesync ultimate support

PC, One S and PS4 fat are on a 27" Dell PC Monitor, 1440p144hz (165hz overclockable)

the Samsung has 7 ms to 11ms lag (7ms on 120hz and 11ms on 60hz)
the Dell has 1 to 2 ms lag (low latency mode for 1ms)

I don't think I'm gonna upgrade soon, most games nextgen that will support 120fps will most likely barely reach 1440p with only a few exceptions, so I think HDMI2.0 still covers next gen well enough.

Last edited:
I have a Samsung 65" Q60 which has my PC and PS4 Pro hooked up to it, and whatever I play looks fantastic. I've been playing Crash Bandicoot at 4k60 on it to prepare for Crash 4. Game looks and plays fantastic, I don't think I'll change for the PS5, as I believe my TV supports 4K120 from when I had Resident Evil 6 booted up earlier today. For when I'm playing competitive games like Siege, I use my PC monitor, a 1080p 144hz display with 1ms response time. Everything looks fantastic and plays really well, I don't think I'll need to upgrade for at least a generation. Which is good, considering I bought my TV this year.

pixelation

Looking for a 65'"4K tv... not set on LED or OLED (I know OLED's are supposedly better... but that burn-in... ).

Poordevil

I have a 49 inch Sony X900E with a PS4 Pro. I love the TV, no intention of upgrading. If anything needs an upgrade it is the console. The X900E needs a console that can really take full advantage of all its features, like 4K for instance.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I got a KS8000, I plan on upgrading once more than game content makes use of 120fps. Til then I'll probably split the signal to my 144 fps monitor. I got a ASUS 248Q

MrS

Banned
55" C9. Won't be upgrading. Need to buy a soundbar for it at some point before the PS5 launch.

Last edited:
I'm planning on purchasing a 55" Samsung Q80T to compliment my Xbox Series X this holiday. It has a 120hz refresh rate for the games that happen to run at 120fps, above average HDR capabilities, and the newest HDMI tech to support VRR. Checks all the boxes and hopefully I'll be able to nab it for under $1,000.

I have my X1X and PS4Pro hooked to a 50"LG (50PK760) plasma TV. It's around 8-9 years old, and have to say I'm still really satisfied with it. I'm not that excited about 4K tbh, and rather go for 60fps when available, however that might change with the next gen. Only have seen HDR on my phones, and tbh they aren't that much better looking than my plasma. Don't get me wrong, I see that HDR is a step up, but I have been used to the vibrant colors since I have this TV so yeah...

Phase

I mostly game on pc so I use a 240hz Asus monitor, buttery smooth. I'm not sure where I'll put my money in the future. I really want to see how this next gen develops before I invest in anything.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I've recently upgraded my 4,5 yo 1080p 60Hz Dell P2717H to 1440p 144Hz LG 27GL83A I think I'm good until 34'' 21:9 1440p monitors will become more affordable and until GPUs can handle this screen resolution with 100-144 FPS.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I play on a 55” LG B7 For consoles and a 1440p 100hz ultrawide monitor does PC so won’t be upgrading anytime soon I don’t think.

Just bought a gaming PC that’s basically a 1080p60fps Ultra setting box, so Still unsure where the best place to play that is - monitor and lower settings to run at 1440p or 1080p on the 4K tv.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
My monitor is a 34" ASUS ultrawide PG348q. Absolutely zero plans to upgrade anytime soon since pushing G-Sync at 100hz and 3440x1440 will likely require a substantial graphics card setup for the foreseeable future.

For console/retro gaming I've got everything hooked into a Vizio 55" P Series P55-F1. It does 4K HDR and all that plus it still has a component input for my PS2. It's not a big heavy CRT TV or anything but I'm not too picky since I probably play more Gen 6/7 games than anything else which work well with that kind of TV.

Last edited:

drganon

A crappy 32inch 720p Samsung tv I've had for about 6 years. I'm planning on getting something much nicer in the near future.

teezzy

Banned
Dual monitors here.

Dell S2716DGR and Acer XB270H - both 27", G-Sync, 1440p, 144hz - they're perfect for my needs and I don't see myself upgrading any time soon.. Gonna last me years.

81hLfv-lewL._AC_SX466_.jpg

ImgW.ashx

TLZ

Banned
LG C6, still very happy with it, and a 2010 (I think) Panasonic Plasma which is still doing great and still love it.

Nickolaidas

2 year old 4K LG TV which got its backlights busted two months ago and had them switched (actually looks better than day 1 now)

Pretty satisfied in general, though it has this nasty habit of sometimes not displaying HDR and I have to re-press the HDMI port button to fix it.

sobaka770

Banned
C9 OLED. It's a beast, I doubt I'll need to upgrade for another couple of years which is probably enough time for 2.1 HDMI to mature and Microled to take off.

I have a Sony 4K to play PS4 Pro at locked 1080p (so it doesn't take off) and a OLED 1080p 120fps psvr where I've been witnessing the future of games for the past 3 years.

poodaddy

65 inch LG E9. In my mind, it's about as good as it gets, can't imagine anything being an upgrade to this any time soon.

Mithos

Sony Bravia KDL-50W805B (2014)

Will upgrade when I can buy a 50"+ 4K 120hz+ VRR/Freesync/G-Sync for around €600 (so not anytime soon).

Top Bottom