• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do we know about PlayStation's 2023 so far?

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I got my post deleted for posting a similar joke.
It happens to us all my friend. I see people post stuff I've had removed and warnings for. 🤷‍♂️

Tom Hanks Tickle GIF

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
MISC:

PlayStation Productions will have a pretty busy year in 2023. The Last of Us HBO has been confirmed to launch in 2023. We also know that the Gran Turismo movie will launch in August 2023. We also know that the Twisted Metal TV series has completed filming. There's no current release window, but it's not unreasonable to think it could also launch in 2023 since filming is completed. They've got a lot more projects underway, but I don't know if anything else is realistically expected to launch in 2023.

No doubt things will continue to evolve on the PC, mobile, live service, and subscription fronts in 2023, but I can't think of anything else noteworthy that we're aware of right now to add here.
And my Gravity rush movie

Godot25

Banned
While I admire sheer amount of consistency from Insomniac, I doubt Spider-Man 2 will be released in 2023. Could be wrong tho...

So the rumored Playstation showcase is apparently supposed to take place in October. But... hear me out, why would they hype people up like that before the launch of God of War? What I foresee is the showcase happening around the last week of November after people have had a couple weeks sinking into God of War. This way their hype for that game will mostly have subsided and they'll be hungry for new information.

So the rumored Playstation showcase is apparently supposed to take place in October. But... hear me out, why would they hype people up like that before the launch of God of War? What I foresee is the showcase happening around the last week of November after people have had a couple weeks sinking into God of War. This way their hype for that game will mostly have subsided and they'll be hungry for new information.

Because sonys in the business of building demand (not that they have a problem with it for now) and waiting until the last week of november cuts out half the holiday shopping season.

A sony showcase would be to convince peopel why they should be trying to pick up a ps5 this holiday season instead of an xbox which is far cheaper. If they can’t pick one up then its to convince them to save their christmas money and pick one up early next year

Last edited:

SSfox

nah, its a solid line up.

FF16
Spiderman 2
Steller Blade
and what ever titles they reveal later on. They are right not to say shit until its ready to be shown.

No one is fucking buy a system based on WHEN something is announced, they are buying it based on those titles existing at all, so I'd rather they allow those teams to focus on solid content vs rushing to announce years and years in advance or something.

@Cornbread78 Same.

I have a massive backlog to play thru next year so a lot on that list isn't even going to be bought day 1. I'd say FF16 and Spiderman 2 are clear day 1s, everything else I'll have to wait on. If many this fall become new PS5 owners, they'll already have a shit load of games to go thru next year anyway like Demon Souls, Ratchet, Returnal, Horizon, God Of War etc So anyone new to PS5 is going to have their hands full in 2023.
It's great yeah, not insane but great, also there will be a bunch of great 3rd party games.

Also wonder what are the chances DQ12 coming 2023.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

It's happening in October because we've been told it's happening in October on here...

TBH, I agree with you...I think they will wait for God of War to release and then they'll do a showcase end of November/December to hype up VR and hopefully some regular games for first half 2023.

Fingers crossed they have some tricks up their sleeves and its not just Spiderman 2 for next year.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
People have so high expectations for Spider-Man 2, graphically I mean. It will be the apocalypse when it comes out and it just looks a bit better than Miles Morales. The expectations people have at the moment are stratospherically high. I smell tears and meltdowns.
Yes you're probably correct, insomniac have been busy, hiwever do we know how long sliderman 2 has been in development?
Was the full spiderman team on MM?
If they were thats about 3yrs dev time, not really enough time to make big changes to there tech.

However this does not make a situation better, an exclusive game 3yrs into the generation should be showing what the system is caperble of. We got UC4 3yrs in and its still one of the best looking PS4 games.

Yes you're probably correct, insomniac have been busy, hiwever do we know how long sliderman 2 has been in development?
Was the full spiderman team on MM?
If they were thats about 3yrs dev time, not really enough time to make big changes to there tech.

However this does not make a situation better, an exclusive game 3yrs into the generation should be showing what the system is caperble of. We got UC4 3yrs in and its still one of the best looking PS4 games.

Spider-man 2 has been in development since the original 2018 game launched. Another team did Miles Morales and another team did Rift Apart. The Miles Morales team is now working on Wolverine. Insomniac is one of SIE’s biggest studios

It will be 5 years of development for the sequel if it launches next year

Last edited:

EDMIX

It's great yeah, not insane but great, also there will be a bunch of great 3rd party games.

Also wonder what are the chances DQ12 coming 2023.

Could be, with how they just revealed their last set of titles, they seem to want a shorter marketing window before release. I mean Octopath 2 is literally coming spring next year, so for all we know DQ12 very much could be a reveal and short window type thing too.

I hope they do 2 versions like a sprite based on and 3D one like they did for DQ11

DenchDeckard DenchDeckard Agreed, I think that likely is their plan. Put all their marketing push behind a AAA title and then after its out, start the new push for the next IP, so I feel we'll likely get some show after God Of War comes out

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Spider-man 2 has been in development since the original 2018 game launched. Another team did Miles Morales and another team did Rift Apart. The Miles Morales team is now working on Wolverine. Insomniac is one of SIE’s biggest studios

It will be 5 years of development for the sequel if it launches next year
I think with 5yrs dev time lofty expectations are somewhat validated.

If I had to guess I think better effects will be the main improvements, things like smoke, water, weather. And instead of nanite like geometry they will use methods like tessilation etc to improve geometry.

It's gonna be a crazy year if sony are expecting to sell atleast 23m consoles to match the PS4. Defo a revision and price cut coming next year, along with blockbuster games.

Last edited:
But why?What has the show to do with the game?They could show the game with gameplay one last time before release to hype the game.The show would help the game and support it

I know I'm not buying one unless there is a Slim revision and FFVII Rebirth actually launches in 2023. This has to be the most boring Playstation generation for me yet. Only 1 upcoming game worth playing and I could save myself some money and wait to play it on PC.

skit_data

Probably a little less AAA output from 1st party studios and third party exclusives. Most the announced stuff is PS5 only though which is good. Really looking forward to Spider-Man 2, FFXVI and Stellar Blade.

Then there’s the possibility of yet unknown stuff and PSVR2 games. There’s still so much stuff that we have no idea is coming beyond 2022 is my bet.

Last edited:

Naru

I am mostly interested in how they manage to compete with their new PS+ Extra/Premium tiers against GamePass. I hope the 3rd party games they add are not just old stuff or the same things GP has.

Corndog

Banned
Don't be a drama queen, no one batted an eye for Spiderman Remastered, Ghost of Tsushima DC, Death Stranding DC and many other. All I see in these threads is people asking for a PS5 version of TLOU2.... when they announce that will you bitch around all the same?
Death stranding didn’t have a remaster. It added new content for 10 bucks.

But why?What has the show to do with the game?They could show the game with gameplay one last time before release to hype the game.The show would help the game and support it
True... so maybe they have the show at the end of this month. I just think doing that though would pull some attention away from God of War.

Crayon

I want to play spiderman, but I can wait to actually play it. What I really want to see is the graphics.

Otherwise it's all PSVR2 for me. All I can think about when it comes to ps5. I'm obsessed.

Filldo

Let’s just hope they make more of the damn thing. Still striking out finding one
Sony direct seems to be the most reliable way to get one at this point. I got one for me, one for my brother and three of my friends have all gotten through Sony direct. Hopefully you can get one soon.

Mr Hyde

2023 is going to be a good year. I'm looking forward to Spider Man 2, Forspoken, Final Fantasy 16, FF 7 Rebirth and Stellar Blade. I'm pretty sure Sony is going to announce more to come. I am a bit worried about their current fixation on live service games, it's a trend I don't like Sony chasing after but what can you do? As long as they don't forget great single player games we all good. And so far they have it covered.

Last edited:

vivftp

2023 is going to be a good year. I'm looking forward to Spider Man 2, Forspoken, Final Fantasy 16, FF 7 Rebirth and Stellar Blade. I'm pretty sure Sony is going to announce more to come. I am a bit worried about their current fixation on live service games, it's a trend I don't like Sony chasing after but what can you do? As long as they don't forget great single player games we all good. And so far they have it covered.

I actually look at their live service push a bit differently. SIE's talked about how they feel live service games can also have great stories, and we know that games like TLOU MP have a story. I think Sony's going to aim to carve out a niche in the live service space that crosses the appeal of live service with their blockbuster single player games to create an in-between space. That's why I think it's fitting that Sony's utilizing Bungie to learn from for their other live service games because Destiny 1/2 have nailed that blend perfectly. So it's not about chasing trends, it's about solidifying a new trend. SIE is currently known for their huge blockbuster single player games, they could also become known for huge blockbuster live service games that take the best of both worlds.

Sony won't ever forget about single player games - it's what brought them to the dance, and their devs have a passion for it. Sony's all about allowing their devs the creative freedom to chart their own course. That's also why we're seeing many of SIE's studios grow considerably and become multi-project, so they can develop and sustain single player games alongside live service games.

yurinka

The ones leaked the HZD remastered know what they were doing when the wrote it was a "REMAKE".
I'm not worried. Horizon Zero Dawn remastered baby.
The only source we have to think they are working on an Horizon remaster/remake is a 4chan clearly fake image posted by an annonymous user that includes a lot of fake and nonsensical info and missing stuff. In that image was listed as remaster.

So I'll doubt it's coming until Sony announces it.

Last edited:

vivftp

The only source we have to think they are working on an Horizon remaster/remake is a 4chan clearly fake image posted by an annonymous user that includes a lot of fake and nonsensical info and missing stuff. In that image was listed as remaster.

So I'll doubt it's coming until Sony announces it.

The leak was verified by Dusk Golem, who's been reliable, especially lately with Sony stuff (he produced the leaked clip of Helldivers 2 and uploaded a tiny snipped of the latest God of War trailer to Youtube months before the showcase). Dusk also mentioned a couple weeks ago on Era that he knew of an upcoming remaster that was in the works, then after the leak he confirmed that HZD was the one he was referring to.

A remaster really isn't a big deal at all. Guerrilla is huge and could be working on 2-3 brand new games while also having a small team work on a remaster. Sony's got a Horizon TV series in the works and they like to have definitive "modern" versions of their games for newcomers to try. Giving HZD a fresher coat of paint and porting over tech and accessibility features from HFW shouldn't require a huge amount of resources. I wouldn't be surprised if Guerrilla were working on HZD remaster, Horizon MP game, Horizon FW DLC, Horizon 3 and also collaborating with Firesprite on Horizon VR.

yurinka

The leak was verified by Dusk Golem, who's been reliable, especially lately with Sony stuff (he produced the leaked clip of Helldivers 2 and uploaded a tiny snipped of the latest God of War trailer to Youtube months before the showcase). Dusk also mentioned a couple weeks ago on Era that he knew of an upcoming remaster that was in the works, then after the leak he confirmed that HZD was the one he was referring to.

A remaster really isn't a big deal at all. Guerrilla is huge and could be working on 2-3 brand new games while also having a small team work on a remaster. Sony's got a Horizon TV series in the works and they like to have definitive "modern" versions of their games for newcomers to try. Giving HZD a fresher coat of paint and porting over tech and accessibility features from HFW shouldn't require a huge amount of resources. I wouldn't be surprised if Guerrilla were working on HZD remaster, Horizon MP game, Horizon FW DLC, Horizon 3 and also collaborating with Firesprite on Horizon VR.
Dusk Gollem had some things right but also had many things that were total lies, like everything he said about Street Fighter 6.

Regarding the Helldivers 2 clip he (not the one who leaked it) claimed to be the source and also mentioned Sony was going to announce Helldivers 2 (which didn't happen) in a September event, something that didn't happen.

He claiming Sony is working on another remaster after they released several of them and once later some other 'leaker' (only a 4chan fake list with several fake/wrong and nonsensical stuff) mentions a HZD remaster he claims was the one he was talking about doesn't prove anything. It's like mentioning that you know Nintendo is working on a sequel of a popular IP (which is obvious since it's what they mostly do) and once they announce it to claim it was the thing you were talking about.

Horizon CoM was official, to write it in this list doesn't prove anything. HFW DLC and Horizon 3 are obvious things they'll do but I think Horizon 3 will wait until they release first the other projects they may have. Regarding the MP game, we know they are working on an MP but not its IP. So to guess it's Horizon would be safe bet because it's the most popular IP of the studio, but I also think that a new IP or Killzone could be possible even if less possible.

Regarding PS5 remaster I think they made a lot of 'remasters' or PS5 SKUs of PS4 games, and would be safe to think they could do one for Horizon too since it sold over 20M copies and has the movie coming. Plus having the PC version and HFW they can simply copypaste stuff from them to have quickly a highly improved PS5 version, which you can call remaster if you want, with very little work.

I think these are good guesses (we also knew from the devs that they have been working during many years on a AAA coop shooter for PS5 and Helldivers did work very well, so pretty likely it's Helldivers 2). But that 4chan list had many other things that were wrong or fake and the 'document' had a format an info that wouldn't make sense for a Sony Europe/XDEV employee, so even if the things I mentioned are very likely, doesn't mean they are true because even if the list has some good guesses it's fake.

Last edited:

vivftp

Dusk Gollem had some things right but also had many things that were total lies, like everything he said about Street Fighter 6.

Regarding the Helldivers 2 clip he (not the one who leaked it) claimed to be the source and also mentioned Sony was going to announce Helldivers 2 (which didn't happen) in a September event, something that didn't happen.

He claiming Sony is working on another remaster after they released several of them and once later some other 'leaker' (only a 4chan fake list with several fake/wrong and nonsensical stuff) mentions a HZD remaster he claims was the one he was talking about doesn't prove anything. It's like mentioning that you know Nintendo is working on a sequel of a popular IP (which is obvious since it's what they mostly do) and once they announce it to claim it was the thing you were talking about.

Horizon CoM was official, to write it in this list doesn't prove anything. HFW DLC and Horizon 3 are obvious things they'll do but I think Horizon 3 will wait until they release first the other projects they may have. Regarding the MP game, we know they are working on an MP but not its IP. So to guess it's Horizon would be safe bet because it's the most popular IP of the studio, but I also think that a new IP or Killzone could be possible even if less possible.

Regarding PS5 remaster I think they made a lot of 'remasters' or PS5 SKUs of PS4 games, and would be safe to think they could do one for Horizon too since it sold over 20M copies and has the movie coming. Plus having the PC version and HFW they can simply copypaste stuff from them to have quickly a highly improved PS5 version, which you can call remaster if you want, with very little work.

I think these are good guesses (we also knew from the devs that they have been working during many years on a AAA coop shooter for PS5 and Helldivers did work very well, so pretty likely it's Helldivers 2). But that 4chan list had many other things that were wrong or fake and the 'document' had a format an info that wouldn't make sense for a Sony Europe/XDEV employee, so even if the things I mentioned are very likely, doesn't mean they are true because even if the list has some good guesses it's fake.

I don't think we can speak with certainty on the veracity of the leaks, but for now I'm still leaning towards it being accurate. Maybe that'll change at some point in the future, but for now all we can do is sit back and watch.

Jormatar

You can probably add Naughty Dog's Factions to the list. I can see it dropping stealthily at the same time the HBO series goes live.

Top Bottom