• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do we think Retro Studios is working on?

Lots of rumors are out there on what Retro is working on. Is it more than one project? Is Retro's game in development hell?

Lots of rumors out there. All these games have been rumored below:

- Donkey Kong Returns 3
- Donkey Konga
- Diddy Kong Racing 2
- Fzero -open world game w/ racing elements
- Earthbound reImagined -- nonlinear game, Stranger things meet's online mmo.
- New IP
- Star Tropics
- Eternal Darkness

What do you think GAF? Is there any DETECTIVE GAF left?

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
Ok, an open-world F-Zero where you travel between race tracks, visit gloomy cyberpunk taverns and have fist-brawls with rival contestants the day before the race is now something I want ('everything need'nt to be open-world' 💩). In my mind it'd look like the current anime Megalo Box ;o

Hopeless dreams aside (which includes more Eternal Darkness ), I'd love a StaeTropics revival. Make it an awesome 3D-action-rpg that wows gamers as Prime 1 did back in 2001. If it HAS TO.be another Donkey Kong-game, please be 3d-platformer.

Anything but another 2d-title.

Whatever it is, it's bound to be great. They're one of the most consistently quality developers around. Even another DKC would get me insanely excited.

Zannegan

I'm hoping it's a new IP, something more in the vein of the Prime games than DKC. An action RPG (Raven Blade) or a non-linear shooter with RPG elements would suit me just fine.

Really though, I'll gladly take anything from them as long as it's not another 2D platformer. I know the DKC games are highly lauded and objectively good, but I just can't get into them, and it honestly feels like a waste of Retro's unique talents, especially as the only major western developer in Nintendo's stable.

I could absolutely get behind a new 3D DK though. I know DK64 was a slog, but it had some good ideas and the gameplay was fun. It was only turned into a slog by a few poor design decisions/hardware limitations. The crazy amount of collectibles I understand, but whose idea was it to have 100 bananas per monkey that reset every time you left a level and have crystal coconuts kick you out? You could be at 98 blue bananas and brush a crystal coconut that you had already collected on a previous run, and all your progress would reset. It was maddening. A DK64 successor with all the polish and variety of Mario Odyssey, would be flat out magic.

Lightt

Neo Member
If memory serves if you got all the puzzle pieces in Tropical Freeze there was a piece of unused art that shows a re imagined Gloomy Gulch? I really think they are going to complete the trilogy in one way or another. I also faintly remember an interview where they said they still had a bunch of un-used ideas and they wanted to incorporate more animal buddies next time.

e0n

- Number of employees is somewhere sub-130
- Composer of Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex is working on it, so it might have themes that work well with synth-pop, ambient music
- Recent hirings suggest skills related to world-building, story, online multiplayer, and cartoony graphics

I'm thinking it's either a new IP or f-zero.

Hopeless dreams aside (which includes more Eternal Darkness ), I'd love a StaeTropics revival. Make it an awesome 3D-action-rpg that wows gamers as Prime 1 did back in 2001.

StarTropics 3d action-rpg truly is the dream. This and that Platinum version of Mysterious Murasame Castle are too perfect for this world. But hey, we got the Shenmue collection, it's never too late.

- Number of employees is somewhere sub-130
- Composer of Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex is working on it, so it might have themes that work well with synth-pop, ambient music
- Recent hirings suggest skills related to world-building, story, online multiplayer, and cartoony graphics

I'm thinking it's either a new IP or f-zero.

Sounds like Earthbound.

I thought Retro were doing the new Metroid Prime?

Edit: I'm not imagining the teaser from the Nintendo Direct right?

Last edited:

Smasher89

I wished they would revive Golden Sun. :(
Well, Camelot software planning is most likely making the new mario tennis game, which has role playing elements, hopefully we can consider that the new staffs training for the next Golden sun in the series, and that the next title isn't mario golf.

Donkey kong (2d not 3d), startropics or a new IP would be really cool concidering how many games the studio has made with "others IP's" and done that on a superb quality.

Donnie

As much as I love Prime, I don't want Retro to work on Metroid yet. They should work on a dormant IP.

I know what you mean, but its been 11 years since the last real Prime, I'd hate to see another team produce something less than spectacular after such a long wait.

Last edited:

Yagami_Sama

Every time I think about that, my first thought is always : "Raven Blade".

But is is very hard to predict. Metroid Prime was "their baby", and someone else is developing the new game. I just think that if they announce another Donkey Kong game, people will be disappointed.

But, I really hope that they are doing something new, no related with anything they have done up to now.

zelhawks37

I honestly have no idea, but if I had to choose from the selection above, it would have to be F-Zero or Earthbound. No matter what, I'll know it is a good game so anything will be fine at this point. I just hope the company is still doing well.

Jezan

I know what you mean, but its been 11 years since the last real Prime, I'd hate to see another team produce something less than spectacular after such a long wait.
It's because actually I'm afraid that they might miss the mark. Specially in the visual department.

It's now stressful to think about a new Metroid because I'm sure Nintendo still doesn't know how to treat it and they will probably will keep trying to make Japan love it.

It's because actually I'm afraid that they might miss the mark. Specially in the visual department.

It's now stressful to think about a new Metroid because I'm sure Nintendo still doesn't know how to treat it and they will probably will keep trying to make Japan love it.

I personally think there is only two ways to take Metroid now, 1) like Borderlands, cartoony art style, over the top aliens, co-op, lots of Replay value
2) or use alien isolation or dead space and have it be scary, but Teen rated epic adventure.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

I know I may draw some heat for this(strike that. I will draw heat for this)but Retro hasn't mattered to me since the last Metroid Prime.

For a studio that produced some of the most critically acclaimed games of all time to have been stuck making 2-D side scrollers(to me these types of games are limited and of the type I've played since, well, forever)and to get stuck with the Donkey Kong license is even worse.(never really cared for it)

Sometimes I wonder what could have come out such a talented studio if Nintendo coughed up money and resources to Retro. Damn.

I have hope, but it really seems like its gonna be yet another DK game. Good for those of you who love them. Enjoy!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Just noticed on the latest Nintendo Power podcast that they revealed Retro did the Tropical Freeze Switch port. Was this known already?

You all shouldn't be sleeping on Earthbound. It lines up perfectly.

Willing to eat entire freighters filled with crow if that ever comes to pass. If Nintendo had any interest in reviving this IP, it woulda been done for 3DS already so as to keep the dev costs down. The studio seems like a mismatch with that particular genre also, even if it were done under Japanese supervision.

thequestion

It won’t be Eternal Darkness. I really, really wish it would Eternal Darkness. There’s never been a sequel to this game, so it would be nice to get a least one more. It had some really great ideas and the sound design was brilliant. Playing ED in the dark with the volume cranked, was one of the big highlights during the days of GameCube.

Last edited:

ilfait

It'll have to be a quadruple A game to at least match what Microsoft has in store. But I have faith in Retro; I think they may just be working on a quintuple A game right now.

Back when I was playing that shitty old single A Super Metroid, I never could have imagined that I'd actually lay my hands on a quadruple A, and possibly a quintuple. I can only hope I'll live to one day see a septuple or even an octuple. The mind reels.

Wunray

Nintendo could use something akin to Deus ex on their platform.......that reminds me I need a port of human revolution or mankind divided on the switch.

Top Bottom