• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you buy at brick and mortar Video Game stores?

What do you buy at physical game stores?

• Gaming Hardware (consoles, accessories, PC parts)

Votes: 39 39.0%
  • Physical games (disc and case)

Votes: 39 39.0%
  • Digital game codes (game download code)

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Sub plan codes

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Digital money codes (real money loaded into account)

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Trading cards

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Toys, Funko, board games, collectibles, DVD/BR movies etc...

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Non-gaming hardware (cellphones, tablets etc...)

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I don't visit physical game stores anymore

Votes: 40 40.0%

• Total voters

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game stores sell more than games. What do you buy? Do you even bother anymore?

And this is for your normal buying habits. Ignore something obscure like a one-off Xmas gift you bought for a nephew 3 years ago.

laynelane

I buy almost everything at stores. The only games I don't are ones that are digital only and, very infrequently, DLC. I have purchased from Amazon, but only when I'm having trouble finding something at a local store - for example, I ordered a PS3 controller because the only ones carried at stores around here weren't wireless.

To find neat stuff. Like a millennium falcon phone charging dock. never knew I needed one but here I am with a full battery.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I used to go in out of habit, but don't even do that now. I'm at a point where I prefer digital ownership for the convenience and lack of clutter. I used to dislike going in and have someone try to advise me when I felt I knew the subject well enough already too. At this point I'm not sure there's any benefit for me in going to a shop in person.

Hardware has been so scarce that I wonder how many people would now think of going to a brick and mortar store for anything.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Gold Member
Games and hardware.

Love being able to trade in old games and consoles I don't play for money. I'm sure I could sell them other ways, but trading in is a lot easier and still gives me more than digital does.

Last edited:

Biff

The only time I step foot in a Gamestop these days is to take advantage of some ass-backwards trade in deal where I can sell a product to them for a better price / less hassle vs. a local forum.

Then I immediately turn around and use the store credit to buy Playstation gift cards and never set foot in the store again until the next trade-in event.

I wish the best for Gamestop because it's a great way for young people to enter the job market working around a hobby they love. But the business model is utterly toast and I can't imagine there being any physical Gamestop stores left 10 years from now.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Only switch games.

I do go to a retro gaming store on occasion. I'll buy N64 or GameCube stuff. Picked up a fire orange mint controller for $30 this year.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I go for the germs. Strengthens my immune system.

Mostly I will stop by if I need hardware like a controller that just broke, and don't want to wait for shipping. So you can tell I don't do this very often.

I do think Wal Mart is a pretty decent option these days though, and offer a lot of games at $10 off brand new.

Quasicat

I have been completely digital since the PS3/360 era so I will go in and pick up a digital card at GameStop if Walmart or Kroger are out, which occasionally happens. As for the kids, which get physical games when possible, GameStop is more expensive than Walmart, so it’s so hit or miss.

TexMex

Games and hardware.

I get it if you're a kid, but why any adult would bother buying a digital product from a physical retailer is so weird.

TwiztidElf

eX7ZT3s.png

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Retro games for my retro system collection.

But those are specialty stores. There's so damn many of them around here.

I buy physical games online as they're cheaper and then sell to Game, CEX when I'm finished with them. I buy consoles and accessories from Game upon launch/release.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Haven't got anything from one for years
PS3 Launch day was the last.

kiphalfton

Buy pretty much everything in store. A lot easier, if the store has it, as I get it immediately. For instance bought some games on GameStop's website the same day I bought some stuff in store last week. Still waiting on the stuff from GameStop's website to be delivered. I'm also cheap, so I don't like paying for expensive expedited shipping. Besides that most stores are within a couple miles of me, and I enjoy going out anyways, so win-win situation.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Mom and pop stores are getting harder to find around here. You use to be able to find a couple within blocks of each other in my town. The ones now have an overpriced selection of good games and the rest are games that have been heavily picked at or they’re titles you’ve already played before. I found Parasite Eve 2 going for around $70 used. SMTIV:A was over $100. I can just browse eBay or Amazon at that point. I do go to that store and browse because the owner is very nice. I don’t buy anything because I can just buy online. The place has movies, figures, but I just haven’t had a good reason to spend a lot of money there. I always leave thinking of the current Gen of games, which is strange because I go there for retro stuff. I’ll only use GameStop for their gift cards for Xbox and PSN. I can go to a gas station or a grocery store to get those. I don’t know how game stores will ever impress me when physical store prices rise above online prices.

Edit: Parasite Eve 2 is going for $100 all over the internet. Maybe mom and pop stores are coming back? I didn’t realize how much that game was going for now and $70 doesn’t sound too bad if the game is in good condition. I’m shocked about it.

Last edited:

Old Retro

I still get games at stores and would never EEEVVVER get a console shipped to me. I have ordered a handfull of games online, and a few times the orders were late or never arrived.

Video game brick and mortar stores are still around? Besides GameStop which even closed some stores, they always go out of business near me.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I still get games at stores and would never EEEVVVER get a console shipped to me. I have ordered a handfull of games online, and a few times the orders were late or never arrived.
There's been some shenanigans happening at FedEx and UPS I believe, where warehouse workers are supposedly stealing stuff. Then you have the delivery drivers, who don't give a fuck, who carelessly handle packages. Then you have the retailer warehouse workers themselves, who barely provide any packing material, and put the stuff in a huge freaking box *cough* Amazon *cough*.

So yeah I can totally understand people being trepidatious about buying stuff online.

I mean it's not like all the crap can't happen when the item is being shipped to B&M retailers, but I'm guessing they get pallets full of stuff. So if one is missing, it's not like you're the one dealing with the inconvenience directly.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

Bought Demons souls today from Game for much cheaper than Amazon.
No pesky waiting for delivery or ridiculous p&p either.
Shame the staff seem to lack any enthusiasm for gaming these days.
A pink haired girl, swathed in tattoos, and with dead eyes asked me if I was aware it was for Ps5.
I can't remember the last time a staff member engaged with me about my purchase or struck up a conversation.

nothing. I went to Gamestop recently. And the oldest generation of games they had were PS4.

they had some Wii/360/PS3 games. But they were locked away in a drawer apparently. And i had to ask for them to print a list of what they had.

Top Bottom