• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you do with your Xbox Reward Points

Kagey K

Banned
I have 350K stockpiled, usually just use them to redeem 25.00 gift cards when I'm making a purchase. When my GPU subscription expires I'll use them for that, and continue to keep saving so hopefully I have enough to get the next Xbox from the MS store for free when it releases.

Pay for Game Pass Ultimate. A month costs 12K and you can earn around 22K a month (a little more if you do EVERYTHING, but I don't), so once the following month is paid for, I typically get Amazon gift cards.

Reactions: Isa

Topher

Gold Member

call hookers GIF

NinjaBoiX

I make a point of aiming to fulfil the Weekly Rewards section because it’s worth 2500 after a set number of weeks (does it go higher than that?)

I can be a bit of a chore some weeks, but 2500 is basically £2.50, which is £10 a month for very little effort.

I was stacking my GPU until I realised it’s already at 2.5 years, less cross that bridge when I come to it! So I just redeem them for cash to buy games.

It sucks that the voucher cash is only valid for 3 months though, so I only redeem when I actually want to buy something.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I make a point of aiming to fulfil the Weekly Rewards section because it’s worth 2500 after a set number of weeks (does it go higher than that?)

I can be a bit of a chore some weeks, but 2500 is basically £2.50, which is £10 a month for very little effort.

I was stacking my GPU until I realised it’s already at 2.5 years, less cross that bridge when I come to it! So I just redeem them for cash to buy games.

It sucks that the voucher cash is only valid for 3 months though, so I only redeem when I actually want to buy something.
Didn’t know the last part. Makes sense I suppose but good to know.

Reactions: Isa

Pantz

Gold Member
In the Rewards App sign up for the $10 gift card per month Auto Redeem, as it's the best per point value at 8,750 points. Next best value is saving up for the $100 gift card for 91,000 points.
I get the Game Pass months with real money when they go on sale.

Sorcerer

I have it set up to donate to a charity of my choosing every month. I figure it gives some justification to my gaming habits. And I get it, I'm not really being that generous because Microsoft is footing the bill in the end, but still nice that they allow me to do so through them.

I even got the Window's donation achievement, can't get the 999-day streak award because the system is so buggy. 700 days and they decide to reset me to 0. Oh, well it's only 3 more years. LOL!!! When I contacted Microsoft about getting my days back, they were completely clueless about the trophy system and how it worked. The biggest run around ever, but what am I going to complain about virtual days that have no value? LOL!!!

I used to really go for those $5 Amazon Cards. Then recently I bought 3 months of Gamepass Ultimate for the hell of it, takes like 2 and half months even if you have access to all those extra points through the Xbox dashboard.

I am surprised most people sleep on this but then I figure most people are not fans of Bing or Edge.

Last edited:

plip.plop

So far I picked up the elite 2 controller and wireless headset. Picked up around $200 in NFL gear. I still have points left over I usually buy MS gift cards at the end of the year to purchase games.
aFPwoMH.png

Kagey K

Banned
Are people seriously wasting their precious time for pennies? While hating on play to earn NFT games?
I literally do nothing except log in to the rewards app every Tues and do the 2 second stuff for the weekly missions. The rest I get by playing my games, buying stuff and going about my regular business.

Some games take longer to boot than the time I spend doing rewards stuff.

Last edited:

Antwix

Are people seriously wasting their precious time for pennies? While hating on play to earn NFT games?
my ms rewards are mostly automated so i don't really waste time on it besides the little bit of setting it up.

anyway, probably not the best way to use them but I just redeemed 3 years of XBL gold (for 240k points I believe) and am planning on renewing game pass thru the 1:1 conversion soon. then i occasionally redeem a $5-$10 xbox gift card if i see something i want.

Topher

Gold Member
my ms rewards are mostly automated so i don't really waste time on it besides the little bit of setting it up.

anyway, probably not the best way to use them but I just redeemed 3 years of XBL gold (for 240k points I believe) and am planning on renewing game pass thru the 1:1 conversion soon. then i occasionally redeem a $5-$10 xbox gift card if i see something i want.

Yeah, there are all kinds of ways to automate some of this. I wrote a simple C# program to knock out the bing searches. Here is the code if anyone wants it. You'll need an XML data source though.

C#:
XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument();
            doc.Load("gamedata.xml");
            int count = 0;
            int totalcount = 0;
            Process p=null;
            int maxsearch = 35;
foreach (XmlNode node in doc.ChildNodes[1].Cast<XmlNode>().OrderBy(elem => Guid.NewGuid()))
            {
                if (totalcount == maxsearch)
                    break;
                totalcount += 1;
                try
                {
                    string game = node.Attributes["name"].InnerText;
                    p = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("microsoft-edge:https://www.bing.com/search?q=" + game);
                    count += 1;

if (count == 5)
                    {
                        Thread.Sleep(5000);
                        count = 1;
                    }        
                }
                catch(Exception ex)
                {
                    Console.WriteLine(ex.Message);
                }

}

Aion002

Pressing a few buttons on xbox is a waste of precious time for you?

What Are You Doing Wtf GIF by Justin

Press A on Xbox Rewards, play a game and get an achievement, go to Xbox Rewards and get 50 points, press A in a couple of banners and get 10 to 30 points. Go to Gamepass and start a game and that's it.

Less than 5 minutes on the Series S.

To get an achievement just start any random unplayed game with Xcloud and play like 20 seconds of it... Or you know... Play a game that you like and try to get a achievement.

There are weekly missions to play specific games on gamepass, thanks to xcloud you can complete most of those in less than a minute.

Also, log in with your phone on the Xbox app and start that gems game... If you want some extra points.

Last edited:

Antwix

Yeah, there are all kinds of ways to automate some of this. I wrote a simple C# program to knock out the bing searches. Here is the code if anyone wants it. You'll need an XML data source though.

C#:
XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument();
            doc.Load("gamedata.xml");
            int count = 0;
            int totalcount = 0;
            Process p=null;
            int maxsearch = 35;
foreach (XmlNode node in doc.ChildNodes[1].Cast<XmlNode>().OrderBy(elem => Guid.NewGuid()))
            {
                if (totalcount == maxsearch)
                    break;
                totalcount += 1;
                try
                {
                    string game = node.Attributes["name"].InnerText;
                    p = System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("microsoft-edge:https://www.bing.com/search?q=" + game);
                    count += 1;

if (count == 5)
                    {
                        Thread.Sleep(5000);
                        count = 1;
                    }       
                }
                catch(Exception ex)
                {
                    Console.WriteLine(ex.Message);
                }

}
Very cool. At least for the bing searches, I just bookmarked almost every sub-category off of news.bing.com . Every morning, I just load up Edge and right-click > Open All bookmarks. EZ

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
My search streak is 275 days so that's how long I've been taken Microsoft Rewards seriously. I wish I'd gotten on the train sooner. I'm banking my points now (almost at 140,000 and mostly earned this year) but last year I bought $30 in store credit at 26,250 and six months of Game Pass Ultimate at 70,000. I think I'm averaging about 18,000 points per month. That would mean a little less than eight months of earning would get me a year of Game Pass Ultimate and another 70,000 points to do with as I like.
What's your daily routine like for tasks? Im in the process of setting one up for myself, would love any pointers.

As for the points, gonna bank them for a bit since I'm on GPU till late 2023 already, maybe some amazon GC to get PS5 games (LOL) but thats about it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Very cool. At least for the bing searches, I just bookmarked almost every sub-category off of news.bing.com . Every morning, I just load up Edge and right-click > Open All bookmarks. EZ

Ha! Nice. Big chunk of points right there with next to know effort. Can you do that with the Edge mobile browser too? I ported my code to Android and run it separately.

Kacho

Gold Member
I have it setup to automatically turn them into Xbux. I'm not super into that scene though. The idea of firing up games and doing some dumb task to earn points feels anti-gaming to me brahs.

Antwix

Ha! Nice. Big chunk of points right there with next to know effort. Can you do that with the Edge mobile browser too? I ported my code to Android and run it separately.
Hmm maybe. Haven't tried it, it may kill my phone LOL. I'm not sure if it would properly run in the background though because when I open all those bookmarks in Edge (desktop), it takes like 5 or so minutes for all the points to actually come thru and register. For mobile, I just pick one of the "top" headlines when you click on the URL/search bar in the Bing app and just backspace->enter, backspace->enter, etc to get the ~20 or so searches.

Last edited:
I spend about two minutes a day doing this I'd guess (and I travel a lot, so miss many days), and they really mount up. I'm close to having $500 in there now. Not really sure what I'm saving them for, I guess when they launch Series X Pro or whatever I'll use it for that, and get it for free. Doesn't seem like a bad way to waste 2 minutes a day...

bender

What time is it?
What's your daily routine like for tasks? Im in the process of setting one up for myself, would love any pointers.

As for the points, gonna bank them for a bit since I'm on GPU till late 2023 already, maybe some amazon GC to get PS5 games (LOL) but thats about it.

I'm mountain time so:

-Bing Daily Set resets at Midnight.
-Searches reset 2:00AM
-Bing More Activities reset sometime after 2:00AM.
-Game Pass Quests reset at 11:00AM.
-Weekly Quests reset on Tuesdays

So if I just save everything for after work:

-Bing Daily Set
-Bing More Activities
-4 Bing Searches from Edge
-20 Bing Searches from Mobile
-30 Bing Searches Xbox
-Launch any Game Pass game.
-Rewards App on Xbox to clear activities.
-AMEM if I have time.

DaGwaphics

How many weeks before you get a shot at the 2500 a week. I'm on a pattern of 2500 every 10 weeks.

Banned

I did something similar, I have 30 totally nonsensical searches bookmarked under the folder name "Bing Auto Search", and I just right click and open them all at once each day. takes 2 seconds, and the setup was like 2 minutes when I did it

when you have random numbers like 21ß034821ß384328428 as your search team for each of these the search engine will not find anything and pages open basically in an instant since nothing has to load. so opening 30 tabs at once also doesn't really slow your PC down or anything (not sure if it would if you opened 30 actual searches with full pages of results, this is still chromium after all xD)

Last edited:
Top Bottom