• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you expect of Resident Evil 7?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
UPDATE: RE7 was revealed at E3, now we can look back at what people expected, who was more right or wrong, and be amused. Post $223 is where the last of the pre-reveal guesses end. Can also use this topic to guess on RE7 now also that it's been revealed, I'd be interested in reading back on that too.

---

So, this might be one of the last opportunities to take a swing at the hypothetical on the title, so I'm curious to ask what people expect out of Resident Evil 7? It's all but confirmed that Resident Evil 7 is releasing between October 1st, 2016 and March 31st, 2017, both in that Capcom has said that they want to hit hard with Resident Evil in the second half of the fiscal year for the series 20th anniversary a few days ago, and now showing they have a "Major Title" which they expect to sell 4 million copies before the fiscal year is up. This, along with Capcom saying October of last year that Resident Evil 7 news was "Coming soon," and countless hints (along with the obvious it's been almost four years since RE6 released) basically points to the fact that Resident Evil 7 is releasing within the next year, and more-so it's probably going to be revealed in a month (E3 seems to be the safest prediction, which is about a month away).

So with all of this overwhelming evidence and the highly likely chance we'll be seeing the game in a month's time or so, I thought it might be a bit of fun to ask what people expect of the next mainline entry in the Biohazard franchise?

Before letting you all loose, I've taken the time to collect literally everything we know about RE7. So if you'd like to take an educated guess outside of whatever your gullet tells you, please read the following:

---

-Capcom has been working on Resident Evil 7 since late 2012. According to a Capcom representative a few years ago, they started development of Resident Evil 7 less than a month after Resident Evil 6 had shipped. This is also backed up with a few listings, including a costume designer apparently working on costumes for Resident Evil 7 between 2012 and January of 2013. Interestingly, before RE6 had released, Capcom had talked they had wanted to cut development time down to two years, specifically mentioning the RE franchise due to the series famous long development cycles in the past. However, evidently this never ended up happening, as here we are four years later and RE7 isn't out. This might imply that, like the series has famously done in the past (most famously with RE2 and RE4), they may have scrapped a version of the project and started from scratch again, or redid major parts of it. This has literally been done with every mainline entry in the series BUT Resident Evil 6 & RE3, so it wouldn't be incredibly surprising if true.

-In an interview with MCVUK, an old Capcom marketing lead representative talked with them about Resident Evil 7 in June of 2013. He mentioned Capcom had looked long and hard at both the critical and consumer response to Resident Evil 6, and said at the time the following:
"There was some great positives out of that, but it was a mixed bag, as we saw from the review scores. We have got to take that on-board, we can't ignore that, and we have to take that onto the next game when we make the next Resident Evil.

With Resident Evil 6 specifically, we probably put too much content in there, there were comments from consumers that said it felt bloated. The Leon missions went down very well, and because we did Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS, there was a cry out for us to focus our attention on survival horror, rather than be too many things to all people. You’ll find where we go next will likely be more targeted at our core fanbase.

A lot is said about the saturation of this zombie, post-apocalyptic survival horror. But it is still alive and well. The Last of Us shows a good direction of what the consumers want. Tomb Raider as well, we spoke to R&D and they looked at that and they enjoyed that experience. I think that proves there is still a strong market for that sort of content."
In basic, he shared that Resident Evil 6 came off mixed, thought people liked Leon's campaign for RE6 as well as the first Revelations game on 3DS, and thought 'zombie post-apocalyptic survival horror' still had a market, but pointed its finger to The Last of Us and Tomb Raider.

-In 2014, voice actors had come together for some 'top secret project', and took some group photos and posted. They were working on video game project they confirmed, but couldn't say what. However, the voice actor of Hunnigan, Leon's long-time operative, as well as the voice actor of Leon himself, Mathew Mercer, were on the scene. The voice actress of Hunnigan cited reoccuring roles in video games were the best along when the group shot was posted, and the only video game role she had that could be reoccuring was Hunnigan. Now, there's a chance this may all be in reference to the recently confirmed Resident Evil: Vendetta, which is the third CG Resident Evil film slated to be released next January and Leon is in it (as well as Chris Redfield and Rebecca Chambers), but it is worth nothing.

-Speaking of which, Resident Evil: Vendetta, the third CG Resident Evil film, is coming to DVD next January. What we know about it is that it is supposed to be more of a 'zombie' horror movie compared to the first two CG films, this piece of concept art exists:
xax7av47jk10riqa0ikl.jpg
Some of the people involved include people pretty famous in the Japanese anime/film/horror industry (Kenji Kawai is the musician, the director is Takanori Tsujimoto, the writer is Makoto Fukami, the executive producer is Takashi Shimizu), and like the other two CG films, it probably ties in to RE7 somehow. Also since the film releases in January, and the other two films released about a month before their game counterparts, that does make it extremely likely RE7 will release in February/March of 2017.

-To the above point and a general assumption, it is to note that the most recent Resident Evil title, Resident Evil Revelations 2, definitely had some Last of Us/Tomb Raider inspiration behind it. Maybe this was the title the market rep was talking about, since it was a direct sequel to the 3DS Revelations game, or maybe it was Capcom experimenting the waters for what people wanted? Regardless, anyone who's played Resident Evil Revelations 2 knows there's a kind of cliffhanger in its narrative that would take place after Resident Evil 6, if they explore that possibility now or down the line as a hanging plot thread (similar to Sherry from RE2 previously or Albert Wesker previously) is to be seen.

-Umbrella Corps comes out soon, and Capcom have reiterated several times it is a canon entry in the RE series and takes place after Resident Evil 6. The game is about secret mercenaries under the payment of seedy corporations to go to the site of major biohazard outbreaks and collect samples and data from these sites, since Umbrella was at the lead of bio-organic weapons and similar genetic study compared to the rest of the world by years. Their data has become invaluable, and interested parties are fighting in secret warfare to get their hands on such data and samples from the sites these major incidents have occurred in. If this is just a useless footnote or ties into something is to be seen, but Capcom have re-established multiple times that this is a canon occurrence in the main series, so it might tie in somehow?

-One of the bigger questions for many is what sort of direction the series will go in, a more action one, a more horror one, will they try to make a hybrid? Capcom have talked a long time about their "split playerbase" for Resident Evil, ever since RE5. And since RE5, they have tried to make titles they think will appeal to both audiences (which started with the Lost in Nightmares/Desperate Escape DLC split for RE5). Interestingly, they are working on two titles that are obviously aimed at different extremes for both audiences; they have Umbrella Corps, which is squarely a competitive shooter, and they have REmake 2, which is squarely a remake of one of the most beloved classic entries in the series. With these two (kind of obviously) pandering titles, what does that leave RE7 to fill? Could RE7 be attempting to be ambitious and change up the series again, ala RE4? Could they aim for the same market RE6 did? Could they think horror is more liable again as they said and be aiming more for horror this time? The situation surrounding this is interesting, all the same.

-ON THIS FRONT, in October of 2014, series producer Michiteru Okabe talked about what he believed fans wanted from Resident Evil 7 with Game Informer. He said fans want something darker, more horrific, and more in-line with things the series had in its past.
Here's a small transcript of the important parts of that interview (I have a scan of this interview, but don't think it's alright for me to post scans):
GameInformer: What did the reception of Resident Evil 6 teach Capcom about what players want?
Michiteru Okabe: I think one thing that's become really clear is what people want out of the Resident Evil series is survival horror first and fore-most. They want that to be the core of the gameplay. Anything we add above and beyond that is great and welcome, but it really has to have that core intact. I think the clearest lesson was what Resident Evil needs to do is not compare itself to, and try to compete with or try to be other big franchises. It needs to be itself.

Can fans expect a renewed emphasis on resource management and lethal enemies?
That's one avenue it could go, but I think it's a little more complicated than that. I think what we really need to do is take a serious look at what makes the series itself. Look at all the constituent parts-if resource management is important to survival-horror, then why is it important, what does it mean, and what do these varying elements mean to the franchise? How can we then take that and work with modern technology? Since RE6 we've got new consoles on the market. We have the potential for things like Oculus Rift and Morpheus. How do we take all these technological tools that are available to us and take the data we've learned from our careful analysis and really make something new and special?

Could the bext Resident Evil reboot the entire story for something new?
Speaking personally, I think it would be cool to try something new. I'd be open to that, but I also want there to be some link to what's come before, rather than going completely from scratch.

Do you have a final message for the fans?
The team back in Osaka spends a lot of time and a lot of energy thinking about what the future of the Resident Franchise holds. They're hard at work doing that. I can tell you that the engine we used for Resident Evil Revelations 2 is the 64-bit framework of MT Framework [Capcom's proprietary engine]. It's a multi-platform and multi-generational. And to that, the Resident Evil franchise may be served by a special Resident Evil-specific engine.
The biggest things to pull from this is they don't want to do a full reboot exactly but may want to explore something new, while Revelations 2 was made with the MT Framework engine, they have thought about making a Resident Evil-specific engine (which might be what Resident Evil 7 is being made on?), and they reiterate that they think fans want horror again.

-In September of 2014, when talking about Resident Evil 7, Michiteru Okabe from above also said for Resident Evil 7:
When asked about rebranding Revelations 2, or absorbing it into the main series as Resident Evil 7, Capcom Producer Michiteru Okabe told IGN that the mainline games and sub-series serve different purposes.

“I think the big numbered titles are where we try the big sort of experiments, bold new things,” Okabe said. “We see what sticks, and continue to refine those ideas. I think with the spin-off series we have the opportunity to do something a little different."

-Serkan Toto claims Resident Evil 7 is returning to horror, and Capcom hired ex-Konami staff, including Jordan Amaro, a designer on MGSV and P.T..
12388a0b43975b16f4b2cdcf6cbacff2.png

---

Capcom's E3 2016 booth looks like it might be horror themed, a closed off area to make it dark resembling a decaying house:

---

To my knowledge, the above is all we know. It does paint a picture to me writing it all up here. But regardless, I ask to you GAF, what are your expectations for RE7?

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm expecting RE6.5.

They will not go back to their survival horror roots. Unreasonable to think they would now.

Maxey

Disappointment.

What I want, however, is a game that remembers why it became a great series in the first place.

amar212

I want Resident Evil built like shared-shooter AKA Destiny

Various zones, replayable missions, strikes and raids

Customizable characters, RNG weapons and gear, etc

It would be glorious.

PT was pretty popular and some indie horror games have a huge Twitch/YouTube following, so I could see it going back to its roots.

Capcom constantly demonstrates they don't know what they're doing though.

Resident Evil 6 Part 2. Bunch of action, hammering the button, wiggling the stick. Anything but what the fans of the original games want.

Dusk Golem

The initial response is about what I was expecting. The thing for me is that I'm expecting an action-title, but literally in every word they've had about the title, they've re-emphasized again and again, "fans want horror." Now, I don't know if I trust current Capcom with their definition of horror, but I do think that's interesting at least to be focal. Is to to reassure, to try and raise interest, is it what they've actually been looking at?

It could be RE6.5, and I actually would be okay with that (not my desired outcome, but I liked RE6 well enough, I would push more for other directions though), but since it didn't meet RE5's sales and had critical mixed response, I actually don't think they're going in exactly that direction, even without all of the stuff we know of RE7 at this point in time. Not to say it won't be action, but I don't think it'll specifically be like RE6, multi-campaign, exact combat mechanics, bloated, etc.

I expect no QTE. Nothing, zero, nada. And a decent story.

Since Capcom patched QTEs out of RE6 cutscenes and Revelations 2 actually had next to no QTEs, I actually think RE7 will NOT have QTEs as well.

Rymuth

I'd love for them to tap into the hook man build of RE4. I'd love a central location, a vulnerable protagonist who doesn't sumo/suplex zombies.

Doubt we're gonna get that, tho'
I'm expecting RE6.5.
More Hammer the Button and Wiggle the Stick™?

Scotia

Banned
I expect it to be like RE6 but improve on the gameplay flaws, but keep the same story flaws. I also expect to not bother with it and wait for REmake 2.

RE6 had a huge identity crisis. But what frustrated me more was that the gameplay was not very well thought out for Co-op missions.

What do I want from the next Resident Evil? I mean traditional survivor horror, awkward controls, fixed cameras, instant deaths, cheesey dialog we can all make fun of and smile at its charm every time we replay it.

Such as the famous quote from Barry, "You were almost a Jill sandwich back there!"

But alas, the reality will be something akin to Call of Duty Zombie type 7.0 shoot'em up. We have enough shooters as is.

Dusk Golem

RE6 had a huge identity crisis. But what frustrated me more was that the gameplay was not very well thought out for Co-op missions.

What do I want from the next Resident Evil? I mean traditional survivor horror, awkward controls, fixed cameras, instant deaths, cheesey dialog we can all make fun of and smile at its charm every time we replay it.

Such as the famous quote from Barry, "You were almost a Jill sandwich back there!"

But alas, the reality will be something akin to Call of Duty Zombie type 7.0 shoot'em up. We have enough shooters as is.

While this isn't everything you've asked for, I think you might like Revelations 2 if you haven't tried it. Notably it got better with each episode, as well.

No fixed camera angles or even what I'd consider tradition survival-horror, but it had some of the things you asked for right there, and I thought was enjoyable at least.

Whompa02

Honestly I don't expect Capcom to evolve much from the garbage RE6 design philosophy that they crapped out years ago.

Neff

I expect anything, honestly. RE fans want very different things at this point.

My gut feeling tells me that they'll attempt to wind back from RE6 wherever possible.

Co-op will be in for certain, that's the only thing I can guarantee.

Multiple scenarios are likely.

I don't think they'll keep RE6's control system. They'll probably come up with something new.

They may go for a more subdued, intimate location after RE6's bombastic global apocalypse.

Becky may be the main character, since she's the last surviving character from RE1 not to have made an appearance since that game chronologically speaking.

Personally I'll be happy with whatever they do so long as the game is polished and fun, but I'd like something really unexpected and out there.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Wait? Paul Mercier returning as Leon? Can it really be true?

As to what I expect... I can't really say. I honestly doubt that they'll go full on horror again. I could expect them to do a mixed bag like Last of Us. I just hope it turns out well. No more action and military bullshit any more. RE6 was unbearable.

Dusk Golem

Wait? Paul Mercier returning as Leon? Can it really be true?

As to what I expect... I can't really say. I honestly doubt that they'll go full on horror again. I could expect them to do a mixed bag like Last of Us. I just hope it turns out well. No more action and military bullshit any more. RE6 was unbearable.

Sorry to burst your bubble, I need to fix that. I subconciously typed that as I was writing and collecting all the information, I did mean Mathew, who voiced him in RE6/Damnation.

MMaRsu

Banned
Im expecting a Resident Evil 4 sequel, true in atmosphere to the fourth game.

5 and 6 were dissapointments

DedValve

Banned
Make it more boss orientated. Focus way less on setpieces and way more on unique encounters that can push the combat mechanics to its limit.

Focus on creating maps where you can fully use your moveset and experiment so no two players play the same. Offer a lot of variety. Have enemies that force you to try and use your moveset.

Keep the focus on constantly moving. No not constantly moving forward. Thats just more setpieces. I want less of those. Trap us in arenas with a bunch of tools at our disposal and let us run wild.

Give us a better upgrade system thats more in depth than RE4. I'm shocked that it got dumber and dumber.

Give us a better inventory system for the love of god. RE4 or 5 will do. Perhaps a non-upgradable RE4 one where you have to manage your inventory so you can't bring every gun and the kitchen sink?

Give us more original team combos. Ada & Claire interacting. Leon and Jake. Sherry and Chris.

BRING BACK SHEVA.

Ydelnae

An action centered around natural enviroments and not cities, laboratories and the similar. I think they are looking for that The Last Of Us and Tomb Raider experiences, it's going to be both something less action-ey than RE6 and something that can drive sales. I don't think it will focus on horror more than the last trilogy ever did, but survival and action will be the key elements this time.

Falchion

I hope they'll try to move back towards the tension of 4 and away from the Hollywood action of 6 but I don't expect it.

Who the heck knows?

Capcom have no problems with shaking things up when they feel like it. So it could be something entirely new similar to what RE4 did or it could be more conservative than that.

What I would hope is that they try to actually make a horror game again.

The Last of Us, Capcom edition

Co-op, but only two protagonists to follow. Mostly takes place in one city. There will be keys(or the equivalent to keys) to grab to open doors/gates you passed 30 minutes ago. There will be puzzles to solve. There will be big action sequences with humans and monsters alike. There will some shitty inventory system thing, like RPG loot drops for 10% fire damage on your MP5 and this will be sold as bonuses you can buy online.

Draft

WW1! No, the future! Steampunk! Hero Shooter! Starring Crash Bandicoot! e-Sports! Meets Dark Souls! Companion app! No, the game is an app!

Ideally something similar to RER2 but as a big budget game not a $20 digital title. Actual puzzles, creepy atmosphere, cheesy story, etc.

SoldnerKei

playable Rebecca, Jill, Carlos or Billy(seriously, what happened to these guys?)... and Leon again ,despite title not having an even number, make it somewhat like Revelations 2, mix of horror and action was decent in that game, but add more horror, co-op like in 6 thou, didn't like Rev2 co-op at all, good boss fights, last game I remember I enjoyed killing a boss was RE4, so anything close to that is good

Top Bottom