• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you expect of Resident Evil 7?

Jawmuncher

I really want the melee focus to stay in. I don't get why the main series needs to go back to the older style. When the series has numerous games trying different things. I like how there's something for everyone at this point in time. So to want the entire series to fall in line is just odd to me.

mekes

What I expect and what I want hardly line up at all. I feel like I expect more of the same. Probably something very akin to RE5, over the top action with strong co-op emphasis. What I want really is like a clean slate for the series. I don't think we can reboot it with REmake releasing only just recently, plus that is a hell of a game. I'd really like to see some new characters face a very small outbreak like in the first game. Or at most the first proper outbreak as in RE2.

One of the problems for me with the 6th game was that the story had just gotten out of control. Cities being spread with infectious fumes used as weapons. Hundreds and thousands of infected. Helicopters crashing into skyscrapers. Its too much. A mansion with a dark secret won me over and I'd like to see a return to humble beginnings with a feeling of the unknown. If it took brand new characters and shifting back the timeline to make it possible I would be okay with that.

jblank83

What do you expect of Resident Evil 7?

I expect it to be garbage, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Some of Capcom's recent work has been good, so that doesn't seem like an impossibility.

Honestly, I'd like a return to survival horror, not third person nonstop action. But that's not how Capcom's going to sell the most copies. People don't want slow challenging scary games with environmental puzzles. They want explosions and FINISHERS and crazy action.

So, I dunno, we'll see.

-No god damned Leon or Chris.
-more emphasis on zombies and actually creepy creatures rather than derplords who have caterpillars exploding out of their heads. I fucking swear, if I see one character whose head explodes into something else after they die.
-Darker, more horrific environments.
-No dumbass superhuman melee, QTE bullshit. I don't want piledrivers, suplexes, stone cold stunners, boulder punching.. I don't want to play Resident Evil: Captain America.
-Pare the story back, I don't even care if they do a reboot; the plot went off the rails around Code Veronica.
-KEEP CLAIRE AND JILL!!!!

One thing I admired about Resident Evil was its tenacity to keep its cast around for so long.. I will always love them, but I'd like to see them in a coherent story. One that is reminiscent of the earlier games with a little more maturity. The games have two classic enemies: Wesker and Umbrella. I don't give a shit about all of the other RescuePharmaTerraSaveBioNeo organizations that cropped up later. If they have to reboot the story to do it, fine..

I would appreciate some of these things, specially the first and last point, Jill's been missing some time now (2009)

the mark

I don't know what to expect but I'm almost hoping for a VR-reboot.
It would feel new and fresh even if Capcom would go back to the roots.
This could be the best of both worlds.

Inspector Q

Well personally, I really hope the AI partner is optional. I used to love how in the old games you would mostly be alone, but at certain parts of the story an AI partner would join you. I remember having Barry around to help out with the hunters for a short while in RE1. Then when he leaves you, you're like, "oh crap".

So it was cool to have AI partners for short bursts to relieve the tension of being alone, but I hate how in the new games they are there from beginning to end. It has kind of ruined the atmosphere of the games for me, personally.

Like I said, give players the option of playing co-op if they want. But the games have kind of lost me ever since they implemented the forced AI partner. So really hoping this stuff is optional. Probably not going to happen, though, lol.

Another thing I have really missed is having larger maze-like areas that you need to navigate. You know, finding keys and slowly unlocking new areas of a larger area. The newer games have all been more A to B, checkpoint based action romps. So I would love a return to more hub-like areas like the mansion or police station.

Also, a smaller detail that I would like to see improved are the various documents that you can pick up. Hopefully they take a page from Uncharted 4 and Until Dawn and have you actually pick up items in the background and look at them. A small matter, but it can help immerse you into the world that the game is trying to build.

Either way, looking forward to see what they have cooking up.

I would like a single player mode that focuses on scares and story, like dead space 1.

Then they can have a co-op action scoring mode where you play the same levels with a friend.

A darker slower game, that mixes RE4 style controls and vast breadth of environments but uses more resource management and fear. I want Ada to star, she's long overdue to appear in something with more heft to it, in terms of her story. Could serve as a sort of reboot too. She's sent off to infiltrate X place, and uncovers a brand new virus or whatever. Something really dark and scary.

Also save rooms. With haunting, yet soothing music.

Just get it over with and have her as Leon's partner the entire game and close the book on both of them.

I still think there's a way of marrying the high intensity action with horror. It's as much a question of aesthetics and and tone as it is mechanics. They should put a focus on fighting for your life, rather than fighting for style. That way you can still have melee and sprinting around jumping over obstacles, but balance the resources and enemies to make it more of a struggle and panic inducing with some scary shit, and have the melee animations be less over the top and more "ohmygod if I don't kill this thing right now it's gonna do something horrible to me" ala the Last of Us but with even freakier enemies.

Shauni

I always hate to be this one, because it makes it sound like I'm dissing the REMake HD's performance, but people seriously, seriously oversell that. A million+ sales is great for a remaster of an older title, but it's not even touching the kind of sales the last couple of mainline titles got to. People are really just letting their own personal wishes get in the way of reality with that.

This isn't true. RE6 has the worst MetaCritic scores of any mainline entry, its only competition being the remasters of 0 and Code Veronica. There was a backlash, and not just amongst hardcore fans. Consider how maligned DMC4 became during DmC's development, but then extend that to fans as well.

Difference is that DmC sold well under the last pre-reboot titles. RE6 is the second biggest title in the series sales-wise. No amount of supposed "backlash" from a vocal minority will ever stop that from being reality. And it's sales weren't all that front-loaded, either, it was a gradual seller, so it's not like there was a huge boom of sales and then it dropped hard.

I know the hate for RE6 is strong for many here, but seriously, this is just kind of facts we're talking about. I'm not going to say Capcom will ignore the criticism per say, but this idea that RE6 was some kind of disaster, financially, that Capcom will have to correct at all costs is just not reality. It was a very successful title that was just overbudgeted.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I always hate to be this one, because it makes it sound like I'm dissing the REMake HD's performance, but people seriously, seriously oversell that. A million+ sales is great for a remaster of an older title, but it's not even touching the kind of sales the last couple of mainline titles got to. People are really just letting their own personal wishes get in the way of reality with that.

One big part of this is those games lacked the marketing push RE5-6 had. RE2 got a huge marketing push, and it sold over 4 million copies in the late 90s. I'm curious if they had a full advertising push for it, how it would do.

Kuraudo

Banned
Difference is that DmC sold well under the last pre-reboot titles. RE6 is the second biggest title in the series sales-wise. No amount of supposed "backlash" from a vocal minority will ever stop that from being reality. And it's sales weren't all that front-loaded, either, it was a gradual seller, so it's not like there was a huge boom of sales and then it dropped hard.

I know the hate for RE6 is strong for many here, but seriously, this is just kind of facts we're talking about. I'm not going to say Capcom will ignore the criticism per say, but this idea that RE6 was some kind of disaster, financially, that Capcom will have to correct at all costs is just not reality. It was a very successful title that was just overbudgeted.

While Resident Evil 6 wasn't a failure, it did fail to find the audience that Capcom initially had in mind. The creative direction behind RE6 was informed by Capcom's desire to sell it to the Call of Duty crowd, with their initial sales projections looking at something crazy like 10 million during the fiscal year of launch. There's no reason for Resident Evil 7 to continue to seek out that audience and, with sales projections of 4 million, it's clear that Capcom themselves have woken to the fact they're not going to see those kinds of numbers.

A Resident Evil 7 in the mold of RE6 may easily meet those four million units, but so could a game in RE5's mold, so scaling back the action to RE5 levels is just as viable (it's also worth pointing out that RE6 failed to grow the series at all, with RE5 outperforming it despite smaller install bases - so scaling back may be the most desirable, even if the different in sales isn't significant). But the biggest lesson that Capcom have probably learned is that, with the right marketing, they can sell any Resident Evil title to the level or 5 or 6. Without looking to grow the series, it gives them a lot more room to look at developing the series's identity again. Which after the reception of RE6 is what's most needed. Because like you said, they don't need to worry about sales: it's purely about standing out now.

nai

Not going to happen, but I would like a slow paced game, with creepy piano music, puzzles and a camera similar to Until Dawn.

gamelova

I expect it to be like RE6 but improve on the gameplay flaws, but keep the same story flaws. I also expect to not bother with it and wait for REmake 2.

I honestly don't believe the REmake 2 will be what we expect either. In this day and age they will find something to fuck it up to appeal to the shooter casuals.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I've grown more excited for Resident Evil 7 within the last month. Firstly, it's weird to think it's already almost been a month since RE7 was revealed, but more so I don't think this was the direction anyone was quite expecting RE7 to take. In retrospective, it makes some sense, even though it wasn't inspired by P.T., and there was evidence months to a year before... The Kitchen logo T being a cut off 7 being one of them, the fact the Capcom report from earlier this year mentioning the Resident Evil team was working with VR (which I brought up meant they were probably making a VR Resident Evil game, though some thought it was something else, but neither I nor them would of expected it was RE7 I think), and all of these comments from Capcom over the last few years about 'horror being liable again,' 'the mainline titles give us an opportunity to be more experimental,' and the works. Turns out they were giving small hints for years, just everybody had it so ingrained into them that RE7 was going to be a co-op action title maybe with stronger atmosphere I don't think anyone really saw this coming.

I actually literally commented a bit before E3 that I hope RE7 takes place in the isolated farmland country. I think desolated farms are underused in horror games, and re extremely creepy and can give the right vibe for a RE title, but I didn't expect them to go through with it, and not quite like this. The one potential issue I may see coming is that Outlast 2 releases three months before RE7, and it is a first-person horror game taking place in a small country village, but I also suspect that RE7 will be very different from Outlast 2 for too many comparisons (RE7 has combat, probably designed quite differently), that and the demo being out there may make the opposite comparison actually be made. Anyways, I'm all for two bigger budget isolated country games to look forward to.

But outside of this, I think I've simply just grown fonder of the idea sitting on it. I didn't have an extremely negative reaction when I saw RE7, my first reaction was actually curiosity and bewilderment, it wasn't what I was expecting at all despite I called it was RE7 right at the beginning of the trailer, since it mentioned Kitchen (a previous Capcom VR Horror game, after all) and it was certain that RE7 would be at E3, so I thought this might be it before the footage even started rolling past the Kitchen logo. But I didn't know quite what to think. I actually liked the demo well enough, despite how relatively simple it is and lack of scares, but it did have a good mood.

However, I think I've just grown kind of excited for the idea. Outside of the fact this is one of the few AAA first-person horror games, or hell, AAA horror games to be made in something like the last 10 years (the indie scene is booming, but there is only a small handful of big budget horror games made these days, and surprisingly less from the first-person perspective), this could work well based on how they handle it. They have confirmed this is not a supernatural ghost story, and is tied into the events of the Resident Evil franchise. I'm curious if we may see some new twist on some old Resident Evil monsters in the game... Which actually leads me to something I personally and hugely excited about. I have said for years that Resident Evil could become scarier simply by making less supplies, more isolated environments, creepier sound design, and a focus on more individualized but threatening monsters who aren't always best to just shoot at, but running is for the best at times too and the monsters, while more limited in number, have more personality and memorable encounters stacked with them. They have commented that RE7 will feature, 'Fewer But More Meaningful Enemies. We’re trying take it into a more personal and intimate scale of horror by there being fewer enemies, but each one poses a significant threat. That’s the kind of horror approach we’re going for." <-- That is something I am really excited for, for some reason.

There's a lot more now that the storm is gone, and I appreciate their approach to mostly not show anything from the main game and instead focus on these demo's (it seems next to confirmed another demo will be releasing in September), I don't know. I have this feeling that this game will actually be something really special, but to be seen. This comes from a person who's a fan of the older and newer style games and a broader interest in horror, so I may be more open-minded to this possibility than some, and I probably would of been happy with it being a co-op action shooter with horror tones... But I wouldn't of been this excited for it. I can feel myself getting more excited for it. I guess we'll see it in a little less than half a year, and sounds like we have at least one more, if not more, demo's to look forward to.

Top Bottom