• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you guys think about Neon White?

O4K2Jkp.png

IMO:

Gameplay - Super solid. Game initially seems like a braindead game where you just hold forward and go across the straight path the developers set out for you to get to the goal but then I went for ace medals and it becomes a lot deeper as you have to try and find "skips" in a level. Open windows nearby, enemies in the distance you can snipe off, etc. You also have to consider whether it's worth keeping a card gun if you think it will help you do a skip later on or discarding it right away for a movement boost. It has a very puzzle like feeling trying to figure out how to skip levels and feels extremely satisfying once you finally pull it off. 8/10.

Story - Has a very interesting premise where a group of sinners get pulled out of hell to compete in a contest of who can kill the most demons to stay in heaven for a year. The world building is great and takes this premise in even more interesting directions. The characters are what drag this down however, they felt very tropey and bland. Especially neon violet. It has a very generic rivalry between neon white(MC) and the main antagonist. At the start up until the last few chapters, there is a mystery behind the neon whites human life and his relationship with a handful of other characters who he knew but we aren't told much about his relationship with said characters or what the characters were like in general apart from one event which led to their deaths. I think it should have leaned more into that. I wouldn't say it was really that bad either however. 5.5/10.

OST - Pretty good but not exactly peak gaming or whatever like people make it out to be. 7/10.

Visuals - It looks ok. Nothing special but by no means bad either. 6/10

Overall 7.5/10.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
First person platformers have never really been my cup of tea. I fell for the Neon White hype and almost immediately regretted my purchase. I'm sure it is a quality title based on the critical and user response though.

Top Bottom