• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you hate about current gen consoles?

levyjl1988

Banned
Topic.

What do you currently hate about current-gen consoles?

I'll start:

Nintendo Switch
4 years later and no folders, no wallpaper of themes, no way to change the U.I.
The 3DS has better features than the Switch tbh.
Nintendo is stubborn about releasing Gamecube ports.

Xbox Series X
You cannot transfer or move screenshots or captured video from your system to an external HDD.
Ads on the dashboard. Always advertising Gamepass even if you have Gamepass.
No themes, the background is boring.
U.I feels cluttered and no way to reduce the squares or remove them altogether.
Cannot move save files to external USB.

Playstation 5
Unnecessary bulk and form factor.
Not available in pure black.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Switch
Joycons are still best after DPAD modifications
Switch Pro controller still has D-Pad issues
Wish it here higher horsepower at this point

PS5:
Disk spins up to infinity every 30 min and is super loud
UI seems to take more clicks to do the same thing when compared to the PS4
Less UI customization than last time
Big and Ugly
Wish it had 1 or 2 more USB ports

Kuranghi

Switch

PS5:

Big and Ugly

Exactly, I was playing SM:MM last night and I was like what the hell is that since my PC was off.

Banned
Xbox Series X
You cannot transfer or move screenshots or captured video from your system to an external HDD.
Ads on the dashboard. Always advertising Gamepass even if you have Gamepass.
No themes, the background is boring.
U.I feels cluttered and no way to reduce the squares or remove them altogether.
Cannot move save files to external USB.

1: Upload it to Xbox Live. from there you can download the clips using the Xbox Console Companion app on PC (not sure if you can download them on the new mobile app... gotta try that)
2: yeah that's annoying
3: you can set whatever screenshot or image on USB that you want as your background. there are also multiple animated backgrounds that are preinstalled
4: I never had an issue with that, especially in its current iteration
5: true... but with cloud saves you always sync them anyways (they are free after all), sucks if you don't have an online connection an want to move save files over, but other than that that shouldn't be an issue.

now me:

Switch:
•THE FUCKING JOYCONS SUCK ASS! Jesus christ these things. yeah they are packed with features but the sticks are an abomination not only due to the drift issues just alltogether they suck ass... no Dpad... small buttons... ergonomics from hell PLEASE 8bitdo!!! PLEASE MAKE SOME GOOD THIRD PARTY ALTERNATIVES ALREADY! all the ones that feature gyro support and rumble are of quanstionable quality
•It is a bit underpowered. Nintendo should not have clocked it down as much as they did. or at least offer a new docked mode for developers that runs the system at the highest possible clocks the chip is rated for! PLEASE!
•No themes, boring UI
•Nintendo Online is a joke and should have never been made into a paid subscription
•NO VOICE CHAT!?!?!?!? is this the fucking PS3 or something?

Xbox SX:
•Buggy... like the OS is nice at the current state, I love that everything is accessible through the guide menu and stuff. but the OS still has annoying bugs like games failing to launch, so you have to try multiple times. this doesn't happen often but it's annoying when it happens.
•looks like ass on its side xD I only can fit it laying down and that looks super shitty not gonna lie. standing up I love the design but not lying down.
•quick resume has issues in some games... this is mostly the developer's fault not the fault of the OS, but never underestimate the ability for 3rd party devs to optimize like shit!

PS5:
•IT'S FUCKING HUGE!
•The DualSense is a step up from the DS4 but the ergonomics are weird, not bad, just weird. and the face buttons are oddly stiff.
•since I don't have one yet these are the only cons I can list so far... I have a DualSense but only use it on PC (you can now emulate some Trigger feedback tho, and if that doesn't feel significantly better on native games then that feature will be a disappointment not gonna lie, same with the rumble... fells super weird on PC so far, but that's not indicative of the native game support of course)

Last edited:

BigBooper

Switch, same complaints as you.

Series X, pressing B in menus. I feel like I never know what's going to happen when I press B. Will it back out of the current menu? Will it launch back into the game? Who knows?

MurfHey

Switch

PS5:
Big and Ugly
So read somewhere that if you pop the side off and loosen then tighten the drive screws it stops the disk spin noise.

Iced Arcade

I don't have a PS5 yet BUT I hope they make a less fugly slim model in the future. And the series X just looks like the system fell over when it's horizontal.

That would be my only complaint of next gen consoles

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Xbox series X:
The fact that the joypads are still made out of friggin' haribo jelly and keep breaking down, 7+ years after the XONE's launch, joystick drift + bumper buttons failing left and right are still a thing.
Also : the absolutely annoying creaking noise that develops after a couple of months of use due to the stupid design (i.e: the plastic covers on the handles that are there to hide the mounting points/screws).

Absolutely terrible build quality and a far, far cry from the xbox 360 era ones which were built like friggin' tanks.

Now, take into account that even their 170$+ "Elite" controllers also present the same exact symptoms and...yeah, something has to be done about it.

Bonus : Xbox live servers have been tits for the past couple of weeks with terrible download speeds

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Xbox series X:
The fact that the joypads are still made out of friggin' haribo jelly and keep breaking down, 7+ years after the XONE's launch, joystick drift + bumper buttons failing left and right are still a thing.
Also : the absolutely annoying creaking noise that develops after a couple of months of use due to the stupid design (i.e: the plastic covers on the handles that are there to hide the mounting points/screws).

Absolutely terrible build quality and a far, far cry from the xbox 360 era ones which were built like friggin' tanks.

Now, take into account that even their 170$+ "Elite" controllers also present the same exact symptoms and...yeah, something has to be done about it.

Bonus : Xbox live servers have been tits for the past couple of weeks with terrible download speeds

Xbox has been downloading at a snails pace for sure. Especially when playing a game. I never had this issue with the X1X.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Xbox has been downloading at a snails pace for sure. Especially when playing a game. I never had this issue with the X1X.
Based, the DL speeds always got capped when playing a game/having a game opened, that's why you have to quit them first from the quick guide.
Still, these past few weeks, DL speeds have been atrocious with some heavy fluctuations to boot.
Remind me, why are we paying 60 bucks a year for xbox live ? 😁

TransTrender

Gold Member
Why do most threads concentrate on things we hate or dislike? Such a negative bunch.
I fucking love the Dual Sense controller and it feels like such a colossal upgrade over the DS4. It really sucks when you have stick drift and have to go back to a DS4 because your Dual Sense is out for RMA.

Aion002

Series S: Most Xbox One games running at low resolution (lower than 1080p).

PS5: Out of stock, so I can't buy it.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Switch:
no port of destiny 2

Xbox Series X:
no killer apps at launch
1st party lacking
months till halo...

PS5:
1st party lacking
missing features (vrr, storage expansion ect)
no Gamepass

Codes 208

Switch:
More or less the same reasons. Plus why have themes and suggest multiple colors but four years later we’re still stuck with white or black?

ps5:
It’s one ugly motherfucker and I wished it had more memory and that Sony werent assholes about letting us use externals to atleast store our excess games for fast transfer.

xbox series x:
Where are the games? New features? That actual next gen feel? I felt like I paid $500 for another Xbox one.

fun fact: I still have two of these consoles. I ended up returning my Xbox after I said “fuck it, I’ll just use the money to upgrade my pc” so I guess the Xbox was the weakest chain for current gen for my taste, so add that to the list of what I dislike about it.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
PS5 - It's ugly and huge. Plus there is nothing new I want to buy for it.

Switch - Every fucking joystick on joycons and the pro controller drift for me.

Xbox - N/A - No reason to buy one with a nice PC.

small_law

PS5: no UAC2 support, installing/upgrading games from PS4 to PS5 versions is a nightmare, upgrading internal storage isn't yet available, external storage connected via the rear USB ports isn't stable (may have been fixed), external nvme SSD storage seems slower than it should be for USB 3.2 gen 2, the stand is batshit crazy, long pressing pressing the PS button on the controller to bring the full dashboard up sucks, and the way Sony combines parties and messages is a war crime.

Xbox Series X: download speeds are often inconsistent, there's no way to transfer captures to a USB drive, captures are shared to XBL by default, setting it not to share captures by default often doesn't stick, items you remove from the dashboard often add themselves back, the console constantly pings external storage if you use instant on mode (Xbox One consoles did this too), no UAC2 support, the share button functions aren't intuitive, capture options are terrible, the surface of the console can get disconcertingly hot during prolonged use, and when oriented horizontally, the SX is hideous.

Even with these complaints, these are the two best launch consoles that have ever been released. Fantastic machines.

GametimeUK

PS5 - Their stance on digital refunds and lack of backwards compatibility compared to the Series.

Series - The lack of exclusive games, but honestly this is my flavour of the month box at the moment.

Nintendo Switch - Recent game output has been slow and the graphics are in need of a higher resolution.

Corgi1985

Banned
PS5 - Their stance on digital refunds and lack of backwards compatibility compared to the Series.

Series - The lack of exclusive games, but honestly this is my flavour of the month box at the moment.

Nintendo Switch - Recent game output has been slow and the graphics are in need of a higher resolution.
The only way for nintendo to go any slower is for them to start taking away games. At least this friday we have a release of a 7 year old WiiU game with a whole 3 hrs of new content for $60.

Only thing I hate about my PS5 is the storage situation. I am starting to run low on SSD space and would LOVE to install a 2tb internal expansion SSD, just waiting for the official green light from Sony.

InDaGulag

Gatekeeping online behind a paywall.
Cross-progression & cross-play not being the universal standard across all platforms and games.

That's it really. Everything else isn't that big of a deal for me.

Hoppa

Switch
Online is trash
Friend codes during the Wii era were a joke. Friend codes now are a piss take.
Switch games are expensive
The built in stand is useless

PS5
It's ugly
Games are scarce
PS Button...there shouldn't be two different menus imo (press menu and hold menu)

_Ex_

Nintendo Switch
Sad rip off of the Vita that is undeservingly popular.
98% of its library are non-exclusive ports.
Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Mario Maker 2... no F-Zero, Metroid, or Punch-Out!!
Underpowered because it runs off a mobile chipset.
Joycons break.

Xbox Series X
Such a stupid name for a console.
I honestly can't muster enough care to begin with.
Chances are any physical games you buy are practically installation discs, you'll have to download most of the content.

Playstation 5
This console really is hideous and too large. Wait for the inevitable "slim" version.
Sony can't keep any in stock worth a damn.
Chances are any physical games you buy are practically installation discs, you'll have to download most of the content.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Switch
-Lacking library and lazy ports
-Prices of games rarely dropping below $50
-Bland UI and UI customization

PS5
-No folders yet
-No audio multi-output yet again
-Some features are cumbersome compared to PS4

Last edited:

theHFIC

I hate that the PS5 requires a stand to be kept horizontal. That's about it. I don't own one yet so all I can do is complain about that dumb stand.

cireza

Switch :
Home console games displayed on a small portable screen with zero effort made to adjust HUD and Text Size. Fuck this soooooo much.
Shittiest controls and ergonomics I have every seen (right stick vertically aligned, and below buttons, did they even try to hold the thing ?).
Where is my d-pad ?
Joycons.
The dock is a joke.
Ports.
Games not meant to run on this console that are still being ported, with low resolution, low FPS and blur everywhere.
Summary : a bad home console experience, and a bad handheld experience : thanks Nintendo.

Series X :
Happy with my console, no issues so far.
Buying huge third parties, I am not fan of the approach at all. Making partnership deals with third parties is also a possibility, you don't have to buy everyone you want to work with.
Would like more Japanese games, but I feel that we are making progress on this point.

PS5 :
I don't have the console but I dislike the size and form factor.
Zero interest in haptic stuff.

Last edited:

Zero7

Switch. Uncomfortable and heavy to use as a handheld, too mamy remasters/ports, boring UI

PS5. It's massive, no PS1-3 bc, disc drive is loud tevs up even when not in use

Series X. Don't own one, yet

PS5 has some UI quirks like too many steps to shut down the console. Also, no native 1440p support.

The Switch doesn’t have enough power. Joycons are among the worst products Nintendo has ever produced.

Xbox there’s no reason to buy if you have a PC (to me this is a good thing but some might see it as a flaw, I dunno).

Last edited:

lachesis

Switch - awkward to hold, under powered.

Xbox Series X - not much of new offering for fans of Japanese games, no Jet Set Radio Future.

PS5 - Too huge. No native legacy support for PS1/2/3/PSP/Vita.

dcx4610

Switch: Weak. Basically a 1st party Nintendo machine only. Solid if treated as a handheld but not as a console.
PS5: No games. Not a fan of the system design. Still having to deal with prioritizing 30 vs. 60fps.
Xbox: Very few exclusives. Zero reason to own the system if you have a PC.

Switch: I really don't have any complaints because I mostly have it for 1st party games or JRPGs

PS5: The UI is a little annoying because I'm so used to the PS4s, trying to leave a voice chat with a friend is a nightmare. WHY IS THERE NO PARTY CHAT ICON TO CLICK ON, I HAVE TO GO TO MY FRIEND AND CLICK VIEW VOICE CHAT.

Xbox Series X: No reason to own because I have a PC.

GymWolf

Switch: the joycons are a farce and it's extremely underpowered compared to a real home console (no shit, it's a fucking tablet)

Ps5: still slow as fuck when copying games and the psn is not exactly the poster child for clarity.
Also the politic of having crossgen games still piss me off greatly.
Wifi download maybe a bit slow?!
Also 80 euros for stuff like returnal and 60 for a spidey short spinoff?! Gtfo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom