• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you hate about current gen consoles?

PS5:
Still no PS1/PS2/PSP/Vita(/PS3) classics
Can't share play with PS4 anymore for some incomprehensible reason

Switch:
Switch fat is a shitty handheld
Switch Lite can't output video
No cut-price console-only version
No voice chat, no share play, no messaging
No classics
Extremely sluggish games release schedule, mostly attractive for enhanced ports from previous generations

XSX:
Literally no reason to buy this over a PS5
Microsoft is incapable of managing devs or producing quality exclusives

XSS:
Like the XSX only even worse
Will fuck up third parties for the entire generation by being so underpowered. . .
if it doesn't crash and burn within two years

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
The random disk spinning on PS5 is quite weird. Especially due to the long duration and because it happens even
though no game is running.

_Ex_

Switch :
Home console games displayed on a small portable screen with zero effort made to adjust HUD and Text Size. Fuck this soooooo much.
Shittiest controls and ergonomics I have every seen (right stick vertically aligned, and below buttons, did they even try to hold the thing ?).
Where is my d-pad ?
Joycons.
The dock is a joke.
Ports.
Games not meant to run on this console that are still being ported, with low resolution, low FPS and blur everywhere.
Summary : a bad home console experience, and a bad handheld experience : thanks Nintendo.

It's honestly gratifying to see someone else explain in detail why the Switch is a piece of shit. I just don't understand the fervor around this hunk of junk.

cireza

Banned
It's honestly gratifying to see someone else explain in detail why the Switch is a piece of shit. I just don't understand the fervor around this hunk of junk.
I am trying very hard to have a quality portable experience with my Switch Lite. It is doable, but you have to :
- fix the shitty ergonomics using accessories (oivo grip is okay)
- restrain from buying any ambitious game, as it will most likely run like shit
- be careful before buying a game to make sure HUD and text will be readable in handheld mode

Doable, but a hassle. Having to over-analyze games before buying is not what I consider a good gaming experience.

Nezzeroth

PS5:

You can't remove individual save files for some dumb reason, you can only do it if it's a PS4 game.

Switch:

The joycons feel kinda trash compared to something like a DualSense. And they are too expensive.
I don't like it as a handheld, it's way too bulky. But I play mostly docked so whatever.

Last edited:

retsof624

Switch: barebones UI, games barely going on sale, can’t plug headphones into the pro controller, overall power of the console

Series X: Download speeds are slower than my PS4 on the same connection, quick resume is still kind of iffy for me, controller should have at least had some haptics

PS5: don’t have one yet 🤬

RAIDEN1

Playstation's lacklustre backward compatibility attitude...when there so many awesome games from the PS1-3 era you could play with all the HD bells and whistles today: Ridge Racer series, Urban Strike...Einhander..

Neo_GAF

Banned
Xbox:ads everywhere, where are my exclusives...?
Ps5:still cant buy it anywhere for a reasonable price.
Switch:joy-cons suck.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
No new exclusives for either console, or no games that really push the new hardware. We are probably still a year or two off from that.

Ps5: controller drifting already, randomly makes a bunch of noise with a disc in, the storage capacity and how they haven't fixed external HD support even for ps4 games.

sackings

PS5:

Some UI actions take longer than PS4 did (uploading save data, checking trophies, closing games/shutdown, checking battery life)
Still no external drive support (want to store games I'm not playing right now)

Last edited:

TonyK

For me, and I'm not trolling and it's my personal opinion, I hate they are underpowered from the beginning compared with PC, specially regarding RT.

prag16

Banned
Switch: Still $300 after 4 years and no Bayo3 or MP4 yet.

PS5: Ugly as sin. Bullshit $100 spread between the gimped SKU and the real SKU.

SkylineRKR

Can chime in on the download speeds of Xbox Live. At first I thought it was wifi, so I hooked it up, same result. Its just shit. I thought Xbox Live was always superior and all that. PS5 downloads faster here, sorry.

PS5 has no legacy support, PS2 classics I tried bug the fuck out lol. I've got little hope here. The sound options. I like headset, but when I don't use it the PS5 feels gimped. On Xbox I get Atmos in Disney+, on PS5 it seems I get shit. I just use Xbox for watching content. No folders. What a joke. PS4 got them eventually, and now they're gone yet again. Good luck finding games you haven't played for some time in the libary.

Xbox has no real new game. Cluttered UI.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

The fact I can't buy one lol

Updates. New game? Have a 40 GB update day 1. Oh you just wanted to sit down and enjoy the game? Fuck that. Even with a gigabit internet connection sometimes I jst want to sit down and play

wvnative

Series X

Same unstable OS as it has been, ugly too.

No notable games now or in the near future

Nintendo Switch

First Party games never go on sale

Bare bones OS lacking basic functions

Still feels like 1998 in online terms, nintendo needs to completely rethink their online services

PS5

Least accessible console, not being able to use a DS4 for PS5 games is silly since 99% of games work fine without dualsense specific features, leaving me to use third party tools to work around

The OS is fast and snappy but so poorly laid out now, everything takes more button clicks beyond the party functions, getting to messages is a PITA

Launched without SSD upgrade option, i consider this essential

Neff

Switch
- Abundance of wifi players due to the lack of native ethernet
- No messaging

PS5
- That fucking hourly disc spin, ruins the console
- I paid £100 extra for the noisiest Blu Ray drive possible?
- It's ugly as shit (but I like it)
- PS4 captures can't be imported

XSX
- I don't have one
- Even more impossible to get than PS5 in the UK

So read somewhere that if you pop the side off and loosen then tighten the drive screws it stops the disk spin noise.
Tried it. Did nothing.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not much Xbox side; hardware is sleek and quiet, storage expansions available, nice controller.

PS; not keen on the form factor but it’s not a deal breaker for me. It’s not like I hate the look, but it’s definitely out there. From reports it’s not as quiet as the Xboxes. Controller looks like it’ll be fun for Sony first party as long as it’s reliable.

Nintendo; big bezzles, joy-con are an expensive joke reliability wise, slower storage than the bigger two. Overall I think hybrid is killer for Nintendo and should definitely be their new norm.

MurfHey

Switch
- Abundance of wifi players due to the lack of native ethernet
- No messaging

PS5
- That fucking hourly disc spin, ruins the console
- I paid £100 extra for the noisiest Blu Ray drive possible?
- It's ugly as shit (but I like it)
- PS4 captures can't be imported

XSX
- I don't have one
- Even more impossible to get than PS5 in the UK

Tried it. Did nothing.
I'm sorry dad

dem

PS5
Looks fucking ridiculous
Sounds like a refrigerator from 1964
Spins up for no reason.

Xbox Series X
Looks retarded on its side
No USB C ports
OS is buggy mess
Hey Fuckos... make your OS 4k you lazy pieces of shit.

Switch
I dont play the switch.. what am I fucking 10 years old?
I tried to set up accounts for my kids on the switch and it seems like the other account can't even play games that are owned on the 1st account? WTF is this garbage?

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Hate is too strong a word, but agree with another poster the Series X OS is a fucking mess - I know I'm on preview and expect some levels of stupidity but lately every time there is an update it never works properly without a total shut down and re-boot.

PS5 - again, storage space, I'm OCD so dont like only having a couple of hundred gig free - I know I don't need 20 games installed at the same time however its a good job I dont really!!

Ezquimacore

Banned
They feel like the same shit, first generation I'm not really excited for the games nor the consoles. The only thing keeping gaming alive for me is the possibility of breath of the wild 2, Ninja Gaiden 4 and gta 6.

Ten_Fold

Well I wish I could play my ps1-3 games on my ps5, keeps me from having to bust out my ps2 to play certain games that’s still only on the ps2. Outside that that the ps5 is pretty good.

Nintendo switch I wish had miiverse and streetpass, since it’s extremely popular why not add those.

420bits

Xbox - still don't care about it - their gamelibrary doesnt intrest me as i have a PC.
Nintendo - stop rehashing old AF hardware and sell it at a premium when its not even on the same powerlvl as the last gen. Also, Mario peaked at mario 64, galaxies was fine but oddesey was pretty shit. Zelda is still clocked in at around 15 hours, weapondegradation killed the game entirely.
Sony - nothing to complain about really, I got a pretty heft ps4 backlog that I enjoy and every gen is slow at start and I knew this going in. Got like 200 hours of demon's souls remastered and that alone is worth the price of a ps5.

Woo-Fu

Banned
That they aren't consoles anymore. They're black-box PCs. Many of the downsides from both platforms, few of the upsides.

Esca

PS5: the os took some steps backwards.
Switch: online is a joke and if you owned a wii u the console is lacking quite a bit in games
Xbox: os is trash and no games in the near future besides Halo

junguler

Banned
it has to be 70$ games, i was already not able to buy any games for a-few years now with the exchange rate in my country and this made it even worst.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Don't have a PS5 or X1X yet. Both are hard to find, and I haven't seen any games that make the hunt worth it.

Switch: I really only have 2 issues.

1 - If you're going to make a physical game, then the game should be able to play off the card. Don't force me to download another 10 gigs of data - the Playstation and Xbox already do that.

2. FIX THE JOYCONS. This is starting to become lawsuit worthy. If multiple people are buying your 70+ dollar first party controllers, and complain of joystick drift, you're doing something wrong. Fix your product, Nintendo.

Series X - I hate the not quite there PC-like features. Why is 120hz the limit? The monitor I got for it can do144hz. R6 Siege for instance goes well over that at times. All I get for my troubles is screen tearing. It says VRR is working, and maybe it is... but lack of a functional frame limiter means I'm going well beyond the VRR range. There's a VSYNC option which just locks you to 60hz, RIP. PUBG is even worse... all we've gotten so far was a last gen update that lets you unlock the framerate up to 60fps, at 1080p, with graphics turned to just about nothing. And they didn't even leave on the easy wins like decent texture filtering that won't kill your frame rate. It's the PC equivalent of just blindly turning every setting to low/off. I'm no stranger to going low settings to improve frame rate but this is ridiculous. And like, it's obvious if they let you unlock to 120hz you'd get 120fps.. heck if they let you unlock the 'resolution priority' mode to 120hz you might still get north of 60. As it is right now it's kind of the worst of both worlds. I know for some games Microsoft are going in and injecting higher frame rates and resolutions for BC games. And going forward this gen having 120hz capability in the consoles is a win, so I don't want to discount how cool it is compared to last gen, but the limitations frustrate me.

Lack of optical out screws up my audio setup. I have to plug headphones into a controller. I have to connect to Xbox party chat with two different accounts, one on my Xbox and one on my PC to make my setup kind of work. Needless pain in the ass. For that matter I could have saved money on a monitor if they had done me a solid and put in a DisplayPort. This is the "Series X" after all. It's not the "Series S" which is for the "I just wanna plug in and play my games I don't care about none of your tech buzzwords" crowd.

Switch - Never play it. Got Ring Fit sitting in a box though so maybe it will get some use.

PS5 - Don't have it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
No games that make the purchase worth it, at least for my tastes

ManaByte

Gold Member
PS5:
Social aspect is trash. Feels so isolating playing on that system. The friends list is just "there". Doesn't feel integrated into it the way it does on Xbox.
The share option basically just gives you Twitter and YouTube. That's it. No way to share a screenshot or video to external cloud storage. You're locked into two choices.
No additional SSD storage option yet, nearly six months after launch.
Copying a PS4 game from external to the SSD isn't worth doing due to the transfer speed being trash and it takes FOREVER to move a game.

XSX:
The OS still has some of the same bugs the Xbox One X did (because it's still the same OS).

Last edited:
PS5, the Dualsense is terrible, it's not as comfortable to hold as the DualShock 4, the buttons don't feel as nice, the haptic feedback is ok but the adaptive triggers are nonsense and put you at a competitive disadvantage, the UI is horrible, the storage is too small, games wont be built to really take advantage of it because the PS4 is such a beast commercially that Sony cant drop support yet, PSN integration is whack, the way parties are managed is terrible.

Xbox Series X, downloads are slow, it's got a hard on for native 4k but delivers sub 60fps performance, it doesn't handle it's video out correctly which then causes it to crush blacks no matter how you set it up, RGB Full range doesn't work at all, the controller is basic and the analog sticks are noisy like click clack click clack off the side of the controller, the triggers are too narrow and have too much travel, it's got zero exclusive games that are good, it randomly shuts down when playing COD after the fan ramps up to a point where it's noisy.

Nintendo Switch, the Joycons are not joyful at all, too small, analog sticks are uncomfortable to use, the range of them is pathetic and it's less powerful than my mobile phone.

Overall, I only really hate the Nintendo Switch, I hardly ever use it, I don't see the point of it at all, I want Nintendo to bring out a proper home console that's in the same ballpark as PS5/XSX power wise, it doesn't have to be the most powerful, but at least offer the same experiences even if the native res is 1440p and it upscales internally.

Top Bottom