• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you hate the most about video games?

Going to give examples as well

1) Developers who release broken patches and DLC only to fix one issue and 2 more pop up.
Example) Massive Entertainment on Division 2.

2) Developers that need the fans to fix a game for them and then they still fuck things up (**Please pray for Star Wars in the hands of these incompetent ass wipes**)
Example) Massive Entertainment on Division 2.

3) Open world games with lifeless static worlds.
Example) Pretty much all open world games. Only Watch Dogs 2 seems to not suck as much when it comes to open world NPC's that have random encounters with one another.

4) Low NCP count in open world games.
Example) Pretty much all open world games. Probably due to hardware limitations so these next gen consoles have no excuse to not up the NPC count with random AI behavior patterns.

5) Limited destructibility.
Example) Most games. Again it may be a hardware limitation. These new consoles have work to do on this front.

6) Animation quality.
Example) Everything bar The Last Of Us 2 maybe. Robot like walking and running animation is so fucking immersion breaking, I could strangle someone it pisses me off so much and takes me out of the game.
Decades of tech advances and animations is still N64 tier shit.

Now that last one really pisses me off so I have to take a break or i'll wreck my keyboard.

Actually playing them. Like many others who used to love playing games when we were young, now playing games is such a chore and so time consuming. It’s like the thought of games as fun is still ingrained in our minds but reality hits when you actually play them.

OrionNebula

• My lack of time to play them
• When a game wastes my time (linked to first point)
• Anything that is up to luck (some people ARE unluckier than others)
• Game padding (aka Ubisoft : the blueprint)
• Repetitive shit tasks
• Etc

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I hate it when people call games art. Games are not art.
images

Wrong

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I have only one. Having been a gamer for a long ass time, so many games that come out now feel reiterative and uncompelling.

when the narrative is heavy

edit: honestly any narrative at all. If they have to put it in, lemme skip it. Also can’t stand when you have to go through dialogue and the player character moves at a snail’s pace while they communicate. Fuck, I hate that shit.

Last edited:
The obvious things like sloppy controls and sluggish reactions to inputs. Shit like floaty platforming or cameras that go where I need them when they feel like it.

Forced tutorial sections. Sure tell me what button things use, then let me play. Spending 20 minutes to "learn" how to play basically the same game I've played a dozen times is annoying.

Cinematic garbage that I can't skip. Sure a game's story has a place. In RPGs I happily watch the cutscenes. In the middle of blowing the shit out of a bunch of monsters though I don't want to hear some idiot babbling about how it makes them feel. Games that have the character dialogue going on in the quiet/exploration sections works fine. I need to get from A to B, you may as well fill me in on things during that time.

My biggest beef though is braindead decisions in otherwise good games. It can be anything from poor button mapping, to including a section in the game that doesn't work with the rest of the game. I've played a lot of games I considered 10/10 games, but then ran into stupid shit that knocked the game down a couple points.

Moogle11

Banned
Fanboys and console warring nonsense. No reason to have any loyalty to any of these companies, much less go around bashing the others, other than being to poor to afford them all and/or lacking the time to properly enjoy all platforms. Takes focus of discussing games we’re having fun playing, which is what the hobby, and communities like this, should be all about.

In terms of games themselves, nothing really. I could make a laundry list of types of games I don’t like, things in games I don’t enjoy, pet peeves etc. But it’s irrelevant as I’ve been gaming 35+ years and I know my tastes and largely stick to them. When there’s something I‘m not enjoying I drop it, say little or nothing about it and move on to something I enjoy. Life’s to short to wallow in negativity about a hobby that’s supposed to be about fun.

EekTheKat

Some games in the pursuit of awards and accolades take themselves way too seriously. Like certain games are so desperate to be more than a game that they're willing to sacrifice fun in the name of changing society through gaming.

Sometimes rescuing a princess from a dragon is just rescuing a princess from a dragon, and not a statement about misogyny in modern society.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Unable to progress in a game i like because of difficulty. Or lack of difficulty options. I had to stop playing so many games cause i couldn't beat them. I hate that.

Bring back cheat codes for single player games please.

I hate gaming culture in general. I hate how insecure gamers are and the drive to make games the vehicle for social change. I love games but hate how they are used to drive agendas, as if we all need a lesson, or give a shit. I hate a lot actually, and could list for days. I hate how devs chase the trends and how gamers are so reflexive with their purchases. Everything seems so reductive and formulaic and at the same time so many love that. Finally, I hate the idea that the player should be able to identify or relate with the protagonist. I hate...

Ps5ProFoSho

Games that look completely amazing pre release and come out as dog crap. Especially games that are doing something new that would be a game changer and they rush it out of development and it falls flat on it's face.
Not completely on topic:
F***ing scalpers ruining my chances at a ps5 any time soon

Soodanim

Gold Member
The lack of consistency in one time events. If I press start during this cutscene, what will happen? Will it pause, giving me a chance to do this real world thing just that became a priority, or will it skip the entire thing then auto save so I need to YouTube it?

- Stealth mechanics: I'm not good neither at hiding or at planing things.

- Puzzles. I'm just not very bright and i don't feel good when i solve them. More like: get that shit out of my face.

- Don't like motion controlers. Like at all.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Plenty of stuff, but I’ll take the chance to focus on one of my personal pet peeves.

Looter-shooter-type itemization.
Games with over-abundant randomized loot that keeps ramping up the stats for no real purpose if not hooking the player with Skinner box mechanics bore me to tears.
It’s a style/feature that can single-handedly ruin even otherwise decent games for me.

Following that, and somewhat related, games with a pointless “level up” system that keep inflating numbers just for the sake of it. It gets especially ridiculous in non-linear open world games where the dev do this bullshit and then they are forced to compensate by adding a level-scaling system for enemies.

Bankai

I hate GAME OVER screens. Just give me unlimited lived/tries come on.. Little Big Planet always felt so shitty because of it. It adds a pressure that keeps me from enjoying the game freely.

KrakenIPA

Trying to remember the password to your alt account, and trying to remember the password to the email that is linked to your alt account. It burns my biscuit.

Zannegan

Most GAAS and all gatcha.

As a concept, GAAS was supposed to be about extending the life of completed games through continued investment and expansion. Now they all just skip the game part and jump straight into expansion, which is like trying to make a meal out of cotton candy. It's not the amount of content in GAAS titles that I find lacking or even the quality, but the substance.

They should have just called it SAAG.

EDIT: Also, for no reason I can name, ai companions. Always.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Gatekeeping.

It doesn't matter when someone gets in to a game, they should be able to enjoy it. Playing games is for personal enjoyment. Playing it earlier than someone else really means nothing. You shouldn't shun someone for getting in to a series you enjoy. Encourage them, give them tips, welcome them.

ssringo

Third party exclusives.

Not the "we're a small struggling company and can't afford the time and money to develop for multiple systems" or "franchise dead otherwise" exclusives.

The timed ones that come from deals to keep games away from everyone else.

nemiroff

Gold Member
In my opinion the accumulating mass of variety and choices across the gaming-ocean is now so vast that there's very few nagging and trending issues to make a bullet point from. I simply play the stuff I enjoy, and especially as a multi-platform gamer there's decades of good things to choose from.
With that said, there are flashes of political agendas/trends momentarily annoying me. A couple of examples are Modern Warfare's in-game BLM banners, and f.ex. Neil Druckmann, and for that manner other single people in the industry like f.ex. Randy Pitchford. And of course I'm increasingly allergic to fanboys around this forum who constantly go around posting from a pure agenda-driven perspective and an inflated ego thinking they'll change the entire industry and community with their preposterous drivel.

Last edited:

Xenon

Me too-ism, so many companies chasing other co.'s success, ideas and monetizing schemes there is very little innovation.

Cinematic presentation, a little here and there is ok. But not a fan when a game is designed around it.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Gaming being used for social engineering/personality mapping to push the new age agendas(mental poision) of the day

How bad gameplay in general became after we moved away from arcades/sega style mechanics dumbed down high end cg experiences with shitty gameplay (qte fests) is considered "good" now

People who don't understand how important the perceived "console war" is to the health of the industry as a whole the day that is no longer a thing we are at death's door as a culture/hobby when 'gaming' is reduced to streaming 'woke' cinematic experiences fed to the anti-bigot chip implanted into the frontal lobe no more fanboys! no more enjoyment just obedience or else

2D/Arcade style gaming being looked at as inferior when it is in fact the pinnacle.....I'd rather Sega CD style FMV game have taken hold than the garbage we get today

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Console wars, so fucking annoying.
Fully agree. It's nice to just enjoy everything honestly. I dig Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC. I wish I could afford them all. Money is the only issue for me.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
The ever increasing catering to the mass market. I call it chad-erization.

Valonquar

Games as a service bullshit to cover for the fact they are giving you 25% of a product in a half finished state. You are expected you to sit on your hands and wait on the season pass to slow drip the remaining pieces of the game to you. Even playing the "complete" version of the game the narritive never really goes anywhere because different teams worked on the different pieces and even the most breathtaking 3D modeled characters have the most 2 dimensional writing.
When a DLC comes out after like 6 months and you've already completely forgotten how to play the game.
Digital Versions still being priced the same as physical, and sometimes taking longer than physical to price drop.

stn

This wasn't an issue when I was younger, but nowadays when I work a lot and have other things to do, I sometimes get annoyed when a game takes very long to beat. Its just difficult to find time to play everything.

Forsythia

- Third party exclusives (moneyhats)
- The same damn voice actors in every game (you know who)
- Every fucking game needs a season/battle pass, or "micro" transactions

Manji Uzuki

Nowadays as I have lot less time to play the main two annoying things for me are:

Games that are way too long. Its ok if justified but lot of games artificially extend their lenght forcing you to do some shit that should be optional.

Games that take ages to open their combat options. Please give me things to do and I will learn it and figure out how to use it on the go. Otherwise its just like a never ending tutorial

Rat Rage

The one thing I hate the most about videogames is: games being developed by non-passionate non-creators / marketing-infested corporate goons. This is precisely why the golden age of videogames is long over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom