• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you hate the most about video games?

Umbasaborne

Banned
Just how fucking secret everything has to be. From gameplay, to general info, to release dates, to the stupid count downs for fucking trailers so that the devs can have their “omg hype” moment, and lazy shit eating youtubers can hastily put togeather a fake as fuck reaction video just to cash in on the moment. Game announcements used to be fun, now they suck because of all the unecessary shit around it.

also fuck live service games, and fuck these games with like 40 different upgrade currencies. What a fucking nightmare.

also fucking radio calls from your invisible radio/phone in open world games to move the plot along, usually the person on the other end is some try hard dead pool wanna be who tells terrible cringey jokes

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
Modern game design standards. Unreal Engine, games as a service, free to play, and endless nickel and dimming have infected everything. Remember the old days when you played a game to death but it got a second life through cheat codes?

Good times.

Ballthyrm

Just how fucking secret everything has to be. From gameplay, to general info, to release dates, to the stupid count downs for fucking trailers so that the devs can have their “omg hype” moment, and lazy shit eating youtubers can hastily put togeather a fake as fuck reaction video just to cash in on the moment. Game announcements used to be fun, now they suck because of all the unecessary shit around it.

That's mostly due to the internet not forgetting anything.
People have proven time and again that they can't be trusted, don't come and complain when Devs start treating everyone like children.

As for the youtubers, well they are just Ads, and you should call them that.
The Ad market has moved to internet and that's the consequence.
They are easy enough to ignore though, just change your Internet Diet and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

The slow trickle of consoles and first party games at the launch of the PS5 and Series X. One of the worst beginnings to a new generation ever.

Umbasaborne

Banned
That's mostly due to the internet not forgetting anything.
People have proven time and again that they can't be trusted, don't come and complain when Devs start treating everyone like children.

As for the youtubers, well they are just Ads, and you should call them that.
The Ad market has moved to internet and that's the consequence.
They are easy enough to ignore though, just change your Internet Diet and you'll be fine.

i actually used to love e3 in terms of the way games are announced, but the keighly’s last year just left a bad taste in my mouth. Some times the announcement is enough, we dont need hot takes about from “influencers” afterward and before.

i know im probably just old lol god i hope e3 comes back this year.

Hollywood actors.
Hollywoodfication of gaming.
Pixel-art aka lazy retro wannabes (I love 2d games and good sprites).
DLCs.
Extreme-left stuff.
Multiplayer.
GAAS.
Unskippable tutorials.

Retinoid

Pointless loot drops that are 99.9% garbage which you scrap immediately. This is a huge issue I have with Witcher 3, as much as I love that game. There's certainly a better way of dealing with crafting components than giving you endless trash items that exist solely to be broken down or sold. It makes inventory management a complete pain in the ass to deal with and just adds another layer of annoyance for the player. It somewhat makes sense in dungeon grinders, like Diablo and PoE because 100% of the game is about refining your gear and legendary drops, but not in a traditional single player RPG.

Last edited:

Forsythia

Another thing I hate is games with a character creator which don't allow you to change the character afterwards. So accidently make an ugly fuck, start over or endure. Doesn't help that the lightning in the character creator is almost entirely different than ingame most of the time. I don't give a shit if it's immersion breaking, it's a game so it doesn't matter.

mxbison

People defending booster and costume mtx in singleplayer games because "it's optional".

Yeah no shit it's optional, but it's still part of the game and should be included.

Oh, you sweet summer child... This game was the only fighting game I had for a long time on my trusty Mega Drive AND I just had 3-button-controllers!

Do this, THEN tell us how you are not able to hate! :D
I didn't know what my reaction to your post should be, and I kept going back and forth between "LOL" and "Sympathy." I guess it's a mixture of them both?

In any case, my condolences :messenger_tears_of_joy:

TheContact

console barriers: i.e. save files not working across multiple devices, games being exclusive, separate gaming servers for the same game on different consoles

Kev Kev

i know this is a discussion board for all things video games, but seeing how many replies itt are "i hate console warriors and fanboys" and how jacked up gaming side is with every other topic being made by console warriors and fanboys, i dont think its too crazy to ask that have a board dedicated to that kind of stuff.

all of those topics take away from actual civil, intelligent, fun discussion about video games, and entice more trolls and console warriors to post their disingenuous hot takes and negativity, just to further take away from actual fun discussion. ive mentioned it before but most just shrug it off. i think it could be fun once in a while to jump into a console war/fanboy thread and duke it out, but make it it's own seperate thing. most of the time i just want to discuss the fun, constructive or otherwise positive aspects of gaming, but those topics dont get as much attention bc people gravitate towards negativity, for whatever reason.

theres no good answer, but i think itd be worth a try to do something like that.

GymWolf

If i only have to name one, then every game where you kill stuff (no matter what type stuff) that doens't have proper hit reactions, ragdoll, good dead animations etc., basically the lack of punchy and visceral combat feeling.

i don't care if it's a cartony (3d) game or the genre, i just get bored very fast to kill stuff if i don't have a realistic\satisfying feeling while doing it or stuff like precanned death animations or disappearing bodies or other ancient stuff, i just want to see a different result everytime i kill one of the 45698504654969405 enemies in a game.

That's probably why i enjoy so much stuff like tlou saga or any game with euphoria engine, even if i mostly hate the narrative part, they get punchy\visceral combat fucking right.

Hiding the hardest difficulty mode in a game behind bullshit requisites is probably my second choice.

NahaNago

The length of time it takes to beat some games. I just don't have the patience I use to have for these super long games anymore. Which sucks since my favorite genre when I was younger was jrpgs.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Being stuck with a side character for the whole game making wisecracks or bossing me around. Naughty Dog I'm looking at you.

Leave me alone to enjoy the game!.
UBWRXH0.jpg

Zangiefy360

Banned
Incredibly slow starts that feature a ton of dialogue and cut scenes with little gameplay being the biggest offender, and super long tutorials being the other.

I'm about 2 hours into 13 Sentinels and it's really testing my patience. Hopefully it picks up soon.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Companions is another one for me.

I just can't seem to get on board with them. I feel like they get in my way. Fallout 4 had a slew of great companions, but I just always opted to go solo and avoid the perks. They always seemed to get in my way, or take me out of the game and being immersed. I just really don't enjoy them.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
People defending booster and costume mtx in singleplayer games because "it's optional".

Yeah no shit it's optional, but it's still part of the game and should be included.
I really don't mind cosmetic items personally, as long as it doesn't affect me as a player or restrict me in anyway. If people want to buy some outfit, then let them. I don't care what other people want to spend their money on. It's the fact we've evolved to pay-to-win items in some games that irks me. People shouldn't be punished for not wanting to part with more money.

1. Mandatory and overpriced DLC, microtransactions and Season passes crammed in literally every game.
2. Political agendas in games.
3. Online only games.
4. Less risk taking and lack of creativity especially in AAA games.
5. Prioritizing story and writing over gameplay and fun. These are interactive experiences, not novels.
6. Certain “types” of games get all the praise, attention and hype and are normally overrated.
7. Fighting games are glorified GAAS games with low budgets and overpriced DLC.
8. Way too many open world games today with average gameplay filled to the brim with padding, pointless side quests and filler.
9. Games must be at least 50 to 100 hours to be considered worth full price.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really hate anything about video games because the games and whatnot that I don't like, I simply ignore.

Gamerguy84

Terrible or weak writing.

Everyone talks about graphics, gameplay, AI, physics, etc. I think writing is way behind in a lot of cases.

Ten_Fold

1.GAAS trash
2. Cancel woke culture all in the games.
3. AAA games are mostly boring as fuck.
4. Fake diversity, idc what race/gender the character is, just make the game good.
5. Open World, listen I like open world but nowadays every game is open world and they usually are boring as fuck.

Those are probably my biggest issues with gaming/ gaming industry right now.

#1 for me is that we can't just stick a game in a console and play immediately anymore. I knew this would be trouble the first time i got a PS3 and stuck Metal Gear Solid 4 in. And sat there watching eggs cooking for 5 hours.

a close second is ppl with blinders on that irrationally hate Nintendo and Xbox. idk what Sony did to garner such die hard loyalty

the neckbeards/weebs/psychos that dox ppl, send death threats, wish cancer on ppl for innocous reasons such as someone made a videogame booby smaller or something.

I really dont like handholding in videogames. And i dont like immersion ruining HUDS

13th

Neo Member
1. Tropes that either borrowed from films or video games.
2. The approach of playing it safe to the point where a single line of dialogue can ruin the immersion, saying things that are way too unnecessary, but for some reasons that's what people want to hear.
3. Women empowering that is done wrong, instead of creating a complex character that isn't a cliché, that doesn't just look attractive, they would simply have a scene where a woman would beat the living hell out of a man who is at least 2 times bigger than her, that's all you need, right? At this point it's slightly overused in my opinion.
4. "If the game doesn't look too realistic, it is a bad game", because of this we now have this as a selling point, which essentially means nothing, just take a look at Cyberpunk 2077, does it look realistic? Yes, it does, but what about the rest of the game? But it was a selling point, so, thank you, whoever invented it.
5. This point isn't just about the games, but also about anything else that exists in digital form, and that is you own less and less and you are expected to be happy about it. Digital items are worthless, they have no real world value, yet it is a selling point now.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Compromise.

I can either have a small, dedicated machine that’s incredibly convenient but worse performing or a big, less convenient machine that I can do anything I want with.

If I could have a machine that ran everything at 60fps minimum guaranteed while still allowing me to mod, yet somehow maintaining the convenience (pick up and play, game switch, etc) that the modern consoles have, that would be perfect.

Never going to happen, though.

Meowzers

How a game can still be at £50 on Microsoft Store and yet I can get it in a real store for about £35.

Since the lockdown here in UK, I've seen Valhalla in a closed shop window for £30, but it's nearly double that on MS store.

Always thought physical media was more expensive to produce.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
wasting my time with basic side missions which are just filler.
I prefer the game to be shorter and linear, rather than 50hours of open world bullshit.
And prices on ps5 games. wtf 90usd in Poland. why

Last edited:

Handel

That game preservation is so lacking. Way too many games are locked on old hardware, and the publisher either won't or can't, due to lost source code, make the game available on modern systems. A similar issue is how many Japanese games were never released internationally, and how many of the best games ever are stuck with terrible localization efforts.

In terms of actual things within games themselves rather than industry problems, I really dislike invincible/invisible AI companions in games where we're meant to bond with them like Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite and Ellie from The Last of Us. Both are good characters in their own right, but detract from my experience in gameplay due to the dissonance they cause. Whereas well implemented AI companions, like Atreus in GOW4, Yorda in Ico and Trico in The Last Guardian, are one of my favorite things in all of gaming.

Last edited:
Games that are "movies" with a few "press x button" popping up on the screen now and then.

Games that load, and then present you with "press X to play" - like I've loaded the game, I've come this far, why would I not want to be put straight to the main menu? I know this is small, but it infuriates me lmao.

Games that give you different story options, then give you an ending which isn't at all indicative of the choices you made.

Battle royales. Hate them.

Open world games for the sake of it. I believe the modern Tomb Raiders were a good example of quite linear games with a slight illusion of open world. But I just don't understand why every game now has to have huge maps and thousands of side quests.

Games that are totally unfinished upon release. Years back, Ps1 for example, you bought the game and knew it was finished. There were no patches. No updates. That's the final product. Gaming has really gone downhill now that devs can release buggy shit and "fix" it later.

Games that take beloved characters and brutally murder them in the sequel for shock value then have you play as a character no one cares about.

I mean I could probably go on...

tiny gui's, i know there are games that require a lot if information to be displayed for the player but with some games it's just overwhelming.

Top Bottom