• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you like about horror games?

Psajdak

Banned
I bet someone once already made thread like this, but let's just make a new start...

When you think about it, horror in games was present for decades now, and there's just lot of it, be it survival shooter, adventure where you have a just average person as a protagonist, or FPV which kind of puts you even closer to that terrible place in game, not to mention VRs.

Won't lie, I never liked all that much getting scared, but more times than not, I found something amazing in just there being that kind of game where you are in extremely dangerous place, and you pretty much are trying to survive all of that.
There is also simply overall mystery, and trying to find answers that maybe don't even exist...

To you guys who like these sorts of games, what is it about them, that draws you to them, since they aren't really made for you to just sit back, and relax.

Enjoy in thread.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It depends.

In games like Resident Evil series is not really what you call “scary” but the encounters are intense.

In games like Silent Hill is creepy atmosphere and the feeling something is very wrong and throughout the game that feeling never leaves.

lifa-cobex

I like the idea of you (the player) being the issue of continuing on with a game. It's almost like you become your own enemy.

It's a very honest emotional reaction.

But just general fear isn't enough to create that reaction. The game has to be good on it's base elements of enjoyment. You have to make that moment of "This game is so good, I don't want to stop playing. buuuuuuuuut...."
My three biggest offenders that come to mind are Silent Hill 2, Siren: Blood Curse and P.T.
All three made me stop in my tracks.
Should add That F.E.A.R was ace too.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They're scarier than any horror movie will ever be, and I love me some horror movies.

Id say its the addiction to that somber/uneasy feeling. When I almost unwillingly boot up a game, then that means they did something right regarding the atmosphere. Pretty much it never gets boring and once you kinda figure out the mechanics then you feel a little better but still dread when the next boss encounter will come :D

bati

Item scarcity. Most rpgs get this very wrong but the few horror games I played consistently nailed it.

I think RE2 remake and RE7 sums it all up what a true survival horror looks like it has it all..atmosphere, visuals, outstanding writing..etc.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I like their gameplay (whether action or stealth or escape or...) and stories, if they're good, it's not the horror specifically that attracts me, though if it's done well it can certainly enhance the experience a lot.

Last edited:

Mega Man

I can say, honestly, horror is an AMAZING genre for the streaming community. As stated previously, your reactions are authentic. But even more than that, the engagement is top notch because the player is genuinely scared (if done well). There is no better way to keep someone present within their task than inducing outright fear. The adrenaline rush produced by these games, and the subsequent relief when an area is cleared, is what keeps me coming back...

the tension. the atmosphere. the art direction. the themes. the PnC adventure aspect of older titles. there were actual items, logic puzzles, and maps.

Nymphae

Banned
That they genuinely make me not want to do what is required to finish the game. They are very effective at making me feel the terror of the situation, and I find movies don't get me nearly as worked up. They very effectively play with your emotions in ways that I find other genres don't really.

What I tend to like least are the monster designs, usually it's just gross for the sake of being gross.

Last edited:

Mikstl

Banned
You try to play on a classic Lineage server, such as Skelth. This is fear and horror, full of pain and despair:) If that I in terms of hardcore!

TacosNSalsa

1sUVBrM.gif

nkarafo

The atmosphere first and foremost.

Exploring creepy environments from the safety of my cozy room makes me feel warm inside.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nothing. they can go die :)

i love horror movies/books but games i can't handle! the only "horror" game i've enjoyed was Alien: Isolation. I was hesitant about playing it but didn't find it scary. The Alien didn't bother me...it was those damn annoying Joes that pissed me off.

DubReno

Simply put, it's about over coming your fears without actually being in any real danger. Still gets the blood pumping.

But personally I get really bored of horror games if I can't defend myself in some way. Or just have to walk around while spooky shit happens that I can't really interact with.

Shifty

Simply put, it's about over coming your fears without actually being in any real danger. Still gets the blood pumping.
Totally this. It feels good to push past the fear and come out the other side- finishing REmake felt like surviving an extremely well-produced nightmare.

And that ties into all of the stuff that makes a good survival horror- item management and scarcity, route planning and navigation through an unsettling hostile environment, solving logic puzzles under pressure, the ebb and flow of building up tension to pay off with a scare and subverting the player's expectations to keep them on edge, and getting to finally lay the smack down on the fear in the form of a climactic boss battle.

I used to have no idea why people liked to scare themselves, but it's good shit.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I like his narrative and his atmosphere, the Jumpscares and the gore and unique story.

But more their OST

Or their main characters

ayumarcan

Neo Member
I'm not such a fan of horror, to be honest. But thinking of trying RE when it comes to the 4Game platform, that's for sure

azz0r

Banned
I like not enjoying it to much as I'm uncomfortable, so I play in really small time chunks and it draws out the game longer. Rather than rushing through it to make it end.

TacosNSalsa

Really thinking about it i see horror games as way more personal than most other genres . Silent Hill games weren't about saving the world from some over arching bad guy or a zombie outbreak , it wasn't even about saving the town or anyone in it . It was about your character trying to survive and make sense of what the hell is going on .

Horror games tend to be far more focused on exploration, even when they are largely linear. I like exploration in games where I just have the time and inclination to move slowly and pay attention to the detail and world building - and horror games at least reward this if not outright require it.

I played Amnesia and found it too claustrophobic. I know that's like, oh but it's horror, claustrophobic should be good. Nah, it make's it less interesting. You shouldn't have to be stuck in a maze for it to be horror. It feels like a cheap horror that way.

Five major factors that make a horror game great.

IT MUST:

- not present itself as horror at first

- be open world

- be unpredictable

- not hold your hand

- have great atmosphere

fallout-3-xbox-360-screenshot-720x720.jpg

Fallout 3 doesn't present itself as a horror. It's more like a cool sci-fi post apocalypse Mad Max thing. You started off in a claustrophobic maze for a very brief period but soon you're let go into a huge wasteland where you have absolutely no clue what to expect. You're sent out with a fucken bb gun and maybe a shitty 10 mm pistol and a police baton? But what if a big monster appears how will I protect myself with this little gun? Fucken tough, figure it out. I had a 10 mm pistol and I unexpectedly ran into raiders for the first time and they had assault rifles i nearly shit my pants. Even worse when I ran into supermutants for the first time. Did not expect those at all. Unlike Fallout 4 where they start you off with a freaking mini gun and power armor. And reuse every monster and scare tactics you've already seen before. FO3 did a great job of making it's world mysterious, I was both afraid and highly curious about venturing out to find out new things because I knew I'd run into some some shit I won't expect. You never knew what to expect.

Other games I consider great horrors are the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Creepy atmosphere, otherworldly story and surprises that you don’t expect. I thought Fatal Frame series back on the PS2 did a good job at that.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I like the unraveling some games do towards the end. Silent Hill for instance. There's a reason and purpose to go to the town of Silent Hill. The monster isn't exactly in your mind, but you've created it along your life's journey. That's scary to me.

I also like Resident Evil a lot because you you're up against an agency trying to put a stop to a deadly outbreak. Sure, zombies have existed for a very long time, but Capcom has orchestrated and put together a very enjoyable series. The Tyrant for instance. Call him various names in other games, but it's that monster who is set off as a final attack against whoever is still alive.

I also like Resident Evil VII's family. The Bakers define meeting Evil in the middle of nowhere. Texas Chainsaw Massacre did it and The Devil's Rejects IIRC. Imagine going to a small town in the United States and discovering their entire existence is killing people and hurting each other for pleasure. It's hard to imagine when you live in a modern day city where nothing bad happens.

I don't want to play the Saw games, the misc horror games that come out, or even Amnesia. Horror can be hard to pull off. I like the sense of loneliness and I enjoy when developers make worlds worth exploring.

The city in The Evil Within 2 was good. You had the church, houses, auto shops, and etc. You had the cut off streets like Silent Hill. I like finding out there's a place to explore, someone to meet, and then maybe at the end make it hit home.

Silent Hill Homecoming did that well. Even if it was an ok Silent Hill game. The thought of what happens at the very beginning versus one of the endings you can get makes it all a mind game. If I encounter a hell house like Homecoming had then I can sink my teeth into getting scared because it feels like a place I can relate to in some weird way. It's home.

hecatomb

Banned
Silent hill was the 1st real horror game I played, and its still fun. I wish it would get remade or get a remaster.
SilentHillFeature_1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom