• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you prefer ray tracing or high performance and good SSR? (Poll)

Which do you prefer?

• Ray Tracing & 30fps

Votes: 20 17.1%
  • Good use of SSR & 60FPS.

Votes: 78 66.7%
  • I just want to see the results.

Votes: 19 16.2%

• Total voters

anthony2690

Banned
I always see people arguing over ray tracing on here, usually how X doesn't have it or Y does have it, or won't buy Z cause it doesn't have it etc.

But I haven't been impressed at all by ray tracing on anything I've played yet.

I feel like games at 60fps with real good use of SSR look and play a LOT better, when I'm playing and enjoying a game, I don't zoom in and check every shadow or reflection.

Whenever I look online on twitter and various other forums, most people can't even tell the difference between ray tracing or good SSR anyway.

How do you feel fellow users?

Last edited:
I always see people arguing over ray tracing on here, usually how X doesn't have it or Y does have it, or won't buy Z cause it doesn't have it etc.

But I haven't been impressed at all by ray tracing on anything I've played yet.

I feel like games at 60fps with real good use of SSR looks and plays a LOT better, when I'm playing and enjoying a game, I don't zoom in and check every shadow or reflection.

Whenever I look online on twitter and various other forums, most people can't even tell the difference between ray tracing or good SSR anyway.

How do you feel fellow users?

Ray Tracing is good for reflections, but given even the complex folding of protein can be handled by DNN, I wouldn't be surprised if with enough training and a large NN Ray tracing can be done by AI in ms with even deep nested reflections.

Also lighting very important, realistic lighting is op, but pbr and baked lighting can do similar. Atom view apparently can even record moving Hollywood cg ray traced models, or even real life lighting models in motion. Enough memory or adequate compression, and you could even have dynamic lighting for the world with mere memory. DNN is in a sense a memory structure, so too seems the human brain's NN. Nothing beats precomputed, it is like batman prep time

Intensifies Bruce Wayne GIF

That said I'm fine with 30fps and prefer fidelity. I like realistic lighting, but sometimes the materials make the ray tracing look fake, it needs right material properties. Even in the real world some materials look fake.

Haggard

Banned
I know hence why I said shadows too :p

Forgot to mention audio too, but that doesn't really come under my what my post is about :)
there`s still more to RT.... you`re just mentioning singular partial implementations when it really is a general concept.
But that`s not important for this poll, I guess.

Last edited:
We've been lucky on Sony side to have Ratchet and Spiderman give us options of Rtx and 60fps. Some games I can play 30fps with rtx but will choose 60 fps sometimes.

Why not both? On console & PC its usually an option lately just by lowering resolution and then reconstructing with good results, R&C with Temporal injection and PC using DLSS, to hit 60fps when raytracing.

jigglet

Banned
Most people don't know what Ray tracing actually is or what it looks like.

Ray tracing is probably the biggest and best new graphic tech in decades. It's amazing. Thankfully on my PC I can do both. I'll take what I'm given on xbox.

A lot of people know what it is, but a lot of people also know what it's like to play on 120/60hz vs 30hz.

I love the tech. In fact as a Siege player the potential to use it for sound propagation has me weak at the knees. But I know if they implement it into the Siege engine it cuts out 80% of the user base and makes my match making times hell. It's a trade off I'm willing to be patient about.

Allandor

SSR for reflections and RT for illumination would be amazing honestly
This. SSR reflections is most times good enough. Even if they aren't precise or vanish when no longer in the view port. During gameplay I normally don't notice that. Only if I know what to look for. Illumniation is the heavy hitter for RT but also the thing where it makes most sense (even for content-creators).

I was always a graphics whore on PC. Opting for ultra settings even though I’d get 20fps. But my mind changed when I got the Series X. Something about 60fps in old games clicked with me. I do switch back and forth at times with Control though. But overall, give me a smooth frame rate any day if the week.

A game can have SSR that looks better than ray traced reflections. Or lighting that looks better than ray traced GI.

Ray tracing is for accuracy. Not for better looking graphics.

So unless I face no penalty on performance and image quality, I prefer traditional rendering methods.

Games do offer 60 fps + ray tracing option on consoles, but generally IQ suffered in those situations with lower settings.

Kuranghi

No option for me in the poll.

I've rarely seen actually great SSR, so until RT reflections are cost effective and are much more free of artifacts brought on by reconstruction I'd rather just turn it all off and get the GPU usage back for fps, res or other settings increase.

onesvenus

There's no "good use of SSR" unless the camera is kind of static and there aren't other elements moving. When the camera moves the illusion goes completely away and once you see it failing you can't go back.

Duchess

Played the whole of Miles Morales in Performance RT. That game was just beautiful. Will get around to Ratchet and Clank later in the year, once I've cleared my backlog.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'll go for whatever gives me the best gameplay experience. I'll go for enhanced graphics on a subsequent play through if that's an option.

brian0057

Banned
I don't care.
I'll settle with "good enough" of either case if it means we can finally have games worth playing again.

Kokoloko85

Ive been doing 60fps every chance I get. Demon Souls, Ratchet and Clank. Luckily Spiderman has Some RT and 60fps mode which is cool.

Hopefully games going forward give us a 60fps option.
Heck I liked God of War on the PS4 Pro at 45?fps, going back to 30fps was awful. The 40+fps changed the combat for me.

Armorian

Banned
SSR only works ok with specific camera angles. There are so many artifacts in games...

RT reflections all the way, and in 60+ FPS on PC.

Tschumi

For real? ATM I prefer the PSP because it's the perfectly proportioned handheld console. PSP 1000 that is. Sexiest handheld ever made, if not console in general (PS2 pretty hawt too imo)

Oh, I have to give my opinion on the OP? Whichever one won't get my computer banned when I'm in Cali.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
In the real world, RT reflections aren't gonna ng to cut frame rate in half so it's not a great way to set that up. You're also really limiting the RT discussion to only discuss reflections.

I generally keep RT on. I find it worth cranking DLSS a little for more realistic lighting. That's generally the tradeoff I am considering, not 30/60.

ZywyPL

Banned
If we're talking about Performance vs Fidelity modes on consoles, then I'll take 60FPS over RT every single day.

MikeM

After playing Doom Eternal, COD CW and COD WZ with all available modes- 120 fps for twitch shooters is a must.

Everything else- performance RT is my go to. A bit of everything gives me the best experience.

SomeGit

Cube Mapping and 60 mostly, 30 isn't good if I have the option for better or the game is very specific like very slow paced games.
SSR never looked good to me, unless you are in a perfect camera angle the artifacts are an eye sore and break the illusion constantly, not sure why so many devs embraced it this last gen it seldom looks right so I'd rather have unrealistic reflections.

Last edited:
Sometimes I've noticed that SSR is more detailed since pretty much everything visible gets reflected, but RT reflections don't disappear and change to cube maps in front of your eyes, so I tend to prefer the slightly less dense RT reflections that don't disappear when an object is off screen. Also, SSR can sometimes produce weird artifacts.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Whenever there’s a 60fps option I use it.

Only time I haven’t chosen framerate is Rocket League at 120fps on Series S because it hits Switch levels of resolution.

yamaci17

i will be honest, SSR works "real" wonky in flight sim

it worked "quite" good in ac:valhalla

it does a fantastic job in cyberpunk

RT reflections can get quite joyous, but i find it disappointing in doom eternal... cyberpunk was fine. i think i'd like to get RT on flight sim now that its performance is increased hugely

Last edited:

GametimeUK

60fps has to be hit so if it means no RT them so be it. However, the resolution taking a hit from Performance RT mode on Ratchet and Clank was well worth it. In single player games if the RT is great then I'd choose 60fps over 120 if I had the option to be fair in the right situation.

30fps... just no.

Banned
first of all, there is no such thing as "good SSR"

ssr is ugly and a glorified graphics glitch at best.
lower the game's settings a bit, and add RT reflections at 60fps, that's the best way to do it.

or use anything else that isn't SSR! use perspective corrected cube maps, or planar reflections... or render to texture... or a mix of all of the above.

SSR should have been discarded long ago, but the fact that it's so easy to implement lead to it becoming the new go to, which is so fucking sad.

Last edited:

Verchod

Saying " I can't tell the difference" with Ray tracing on whilst looking at still pictures is absurd. It's about how it interacts in the world. And the more games use it and design around it, it'll get better.
My vote, RT ON + 60fps!

RT is pretty new to consoles. It will likely improve along with its performance impact over time. Its reasonable to expect things to only get better from here on out. That's my hope.

buenoblue

I'm so happy. Thought I'd see 90% raytracing vote. I just don't think raytracing is worth the performance. I played ratchet in 60fps non raytraced mode cause I though it looked so much better.

I've said in other threads raytraced real shadows and reflections are not necessaraly better. Movies and tv shows are lit up like crazy because they don't want shadows everywhere. And obviously they use loads of filters and colour grading to get the film look.

The very basis of game making and movie making is to fake it to make it look better than real life.

Hinedorf

Banned
Should check out RDR2 with Ray Tracing.....didn't think the game could get prettier but...holy shit. On a good PC you get ray tracing and good performance so I really don't understand the argument here.

Top Bottom