• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about laptop stickers

You see it a lot among web developers

tumblr_omzx0bb2ZL1w7mhweo1_1280.jpg

10349825_730996616946361_1037948358_n.jpg

I have none on my laptop despite my coworkers always saying I should get some. No thanks.

As a developer who works with these brands I just don't get it... Like... Yeah! HTML 5!! You're way better than xhtml 2.1!!!!!

I kinda get a sass sticker or something because, like, maybe you like sass more than less. Or a ruby sticker because maybe you just love ruby. But... The css3 badge? Is it like "yeah, I stand with css3 it's way better than css2!" Well...... Yeah?

Coreda

Half the examples in this thread would no longer work as well with Apple removing the logo backlight from newer lappies. It had a good run.

Yeah the old laptop I use has plenty of stickers on it.
That said, nowadays I wouldn't put any on my computer and I don't ever bring this to work since I mean, it's not exactly a...professional look, is it.
00nFNP3.jpg

Everyone at the office was assigned MacBook Pros. I also have one as a personal laptop. I use a sticker so I know that the laptop I am grabbing is mine and so that I don't accidentally have tech support wipe my personal laptop's hard drive again.

One of my coworkers has a pretty sweet Mega Man X one.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I wouldn't put a sticker on a laptop just like I wouldn't put one on a crescent wrench. They're tools, not fashion statements.

Zackat

I have a NASA sticker on my laptop. They were a huge reason I got into the sciences in the first place. I could watch all the launches from my backyard basically. Other than that they are blank.

kaitoe

I only have one sticker on my laptop. I've gone from loving it to finding it cringe-worthy, but I'm back to being pretty okay with it.

Having a smorgasbord of stickers on the laptop works for a computer science and computer developer setting, in my opinion, because it fits with a casual vibe. However, if you're in an office with people wearing typical casual work clothes (like a dress shirt and jeans), I'd go with a clean, simple sticker or nothing at all. I think a full laptop skin might work if it's simple, but less so if the skin is of a picture because it draws too much attention.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Certainly doesn't stop manufacturers from cultivating laptop aesthetics.

Of course not, because they know there are people to whom a laptop is a status symbol first and something they might actually do a bit of work on a very distant second.

Symphonia

Banned
Of course not, because they know there are people to whom a laptop is a status symbol first and something they might actually do a bit of work on a very distant second.
I have a few stickers on mine, and mine is primarily a work tool. I use it to identify who I am and give myself some uniqueness. My work involves traveling a lot and meeting a ton of people in the games industry - need to let people know what I do.

Decider

Don't forget stickers for meetups or conferences- you can't have either without making stickers. It's the law.

As a developer who works with these brands I just don't get it... Like... Yeah! HTML 5!! You're way better than xhtml 2.1!!!!!

I kinda get a sass sticker or something because, like, maybe you like sass more than less. Or a ruby sticker because maybe you just love ruby. But... The css3 badge? Is it like "yeah, I stand with css3 it's way better than css2!" Well...... Yeah?

Indeed. I find the ones advertising some transient node package or tool equally funny, given how trend-led modern web development is. Slap a sticker for package du jour on your laptop today, scrape it off in a few months when it's superceded by something better.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
lol you've actually stopped at South of the Border?
Haha, yeah. All of us kids are all grown up so whenever we all get together to go down to my sisters house in Charleston we drive all the way from PA down I-95. For a while we were making it a routine. Stopping every time just to use the bathroom. Since we drive at night we'd get there by 6AM if heading down. If coming back up we'd be there by 10PM just as everything is closing. One day we decided to just fuck it and stopped in the one shop still open, the gift shop. I got a shot glass, a shirt and a few stickers just to say "Well we stopped there. Now we can be satisfied."

For the next few years it became a thing where whenever one of the family went down (Driving down is much cheaper than flying or public transport. Even if it is 650 miles) they'd stop and take a picture of themselves standing by the giant red weiner dog statue.

Who cares if it's blatantly a tourist trap?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Haha, yeah. All of us kids are all grown up so whenever we all get together to go down to my sisters house in Charleston we drive all the way from PA down I-95. For a while we were making it a routine. Stopping every time just to use the bathroom. Since we drive at night we'd get there by 6AM if heading down. If coming back up we'd be there by 10PM just as everything is closing. One day we decided to just fuck it and stopped in the one shop still open, the gift shop. I got a shot glass, a shirt and a few stickers just to say "Well we stopped there. Now we can be satisfied."

For the next few years it became a thing where whenever one of the family went down (Driving down is much cheaper than flying or public transport. Even if it is 650 miles) they'd stop and take a picture of themselves standing by the giant red weiner dog statue.

Who cares if it's blatantly a tourist trap?
South of the Border is a great experience.

daegan

This is mine; I do use it for work but I don't work in an office. I genuinely don't know why someone would feel passionately against someone having stickers/thinking they're unprofessional or whatnot, but alright you do you.

Jeffery223

Neo Member
I want to use that snow white one but I don't have an apple laptop :/

I can print vinyl stickers at work so I can kind of go to town with that stuff.
I am very new, in fact have not really looked into this at all due to lack of knowledge of what to even look for, and would love to learn what I need and how to print my own vinyl stickers. Obviously, the first step, I'd imagine, would be what type of machine I would need to be able to do such a thing and once that is figured out I am sure I could use internet resources to figure out the rest (hopefully!).

Top Bottom