• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Do You Think About LGBT vs GSRM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Never heard of GRSM and I'm not sure it would catch on at this point, but it's fine by me.

Also I don't get what people dislike about Ally being included. It's so supporters are part of the discussions and events, right? What's weong with that? We want them involved.

Empty

personally i don't like a term that reinforces and reminds the world of our minority status, it feels like it's opening us up to be discounted (oh it's just a minority, who cares). it feels dis-empowering, which is exactly what you don't want from a title you give yourselves, whereas LGBT (+Q etc), seems more positive, more affirmative of singular identities that are all cool and worthy of their own respect and celebration.

Despera

Banned
Redundancy: Gay and lesbian? Why? When people use terms like heterosexual or straight, there is no distinction made with men or women. Some people think the G and L should be replaced with H for homosexual, and others believe gay should encompass both gay and lesbian. Other still make the point that using both gay and lesbian promotes sexism.
Come on now. Isn't this being overly sensitive to the point of being delusional?

I'm having a hard time keeping up with all these labels tbh. I just hope we don't reach a point where people are afraid to join in the conversation because they might accidentally offend someone by using an obsolete label.

or just 'people' like the rest of us

you guys aren't that different, I dunno why you need a label to try and be :|
maybe if people stopped killing us and stopped denying us basic rights we wouldn't have to seek safety in other people that are like us
Never heard of GRSM and I'm not sure it would catch on at this point, but it's fine by me.

Also I don't get what people dislike about Ally being included. It's so supporters are part of the discussions and events, right? What's weong with that? We want them involved.
The "Ally" part usually replaces the "Asexual" part.
also ally is not a minority so

DOWN

Banned
maybe if people stopped killing us and stopped denying us basic rights we wouldn't have to seek safety in other people that are like us

The "Ally" part usually replaces the "Asexual" part.
also ally is not a minority so
I haven't heard it replace asexual, so much as it just seeming to predate the widespread acknowledgement of asexual by LGBT advocates. Why not include both? If I were throwing an event, I'd want both A's to be there.

If I were trying to reduce stigmas regarding support for LGBT+ issues, I'd want my coworkers who are allies to be just as safe at work or in public from controversy for being outspoken supporters as I would hope to be. The allies are a part of the conversation, as far as I can see.

HUELEN10

Please inform me who 'queer' incorporates that lesbian and gay do not.
Polysexual people, androphiles and gynophiles to name a few...

A male-born person who identifies as male who exclusively likes male-gender identifying people completely regardless of the gentials cannot be homosexual, as that would imply the binary and focuses on the genitals exclusively; that person however could be an androphilic male, and thus queer without being homosexual, as he doesn't care if his man has a dick or a vag, or something else.

There were only two clearly gay characters in A Song of Ice and Fire, and one died pretty quickly while the other is a shell of his former self, so I'd say GRRM could do a lot better on the LGBT front.

DOWN

Banned
gonna go on a limb here and say straight "nonspecial people" get murdered more than you guys
I'm not sure if you seriously don't realize it is talking about the rates of murder. LGBT people are considered criminal on that basis alone in many places, and death penalty for any behaviors considered to be related to it.

Althane

At what point does your sexuality become so complex you just say "fuck it?"

'bout the point when you feel compelled to start shouting it to the world, as far as I can tell from college.

From an outsider's perspective: Stick with LGBT. No idea what GSRM meant, and couldn't figure it out from the topic until it was spelled out. Not a good sign for a brand.

RM8

straight. rich. poor. religious. non religious. everything.

fyi, in case you're wondering how straight would work, a girl marries dude she likes. family disapproves. family kills girl. her straightness led to her killing.
Nah, I don't agree. She wasn't killed because she's attracted to men.

gonna go on a limb here and say straight "nonspecial people" get murdered more than you guys
are they targeted for being straight? are they unable to get married pretty much all around the world? are there laws in place that allow others to discriminate them for being straight? are people able to fire straight people just for being straight? are straight people the target of hate for many religions? is there "special therapy" that is mental torture that is supposed to make you not straight? do people get kicked out of their homes for being straight? were people burned alive for being straight? are straight people attacked bot verbally and physically when they go out in public with their significant other?
what a fucking mess

Lucario

There are more straight people than LGBT people, so... No shit? What does that have to do with anything?

Unless you mean a higher percentage of straight people are murdered for being straight than queer people are for being queer. In that case, you're just delusional.

fyi, in case you're wondering how straight would work, a girl marries dude she likes. family disapproves. family kills girl. her straightness led to her killing.

....Yup, delusional.

Dany

Banned
That new acronym sounds incredibly PC, politically correct. That instead of identifying lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transexuals, lets just wrap them up under a BIGGER umbrella

FYI, Your ignorance is showing.

kirblar

Gay/Lesbian have very different cultures attached to them. Although they're united politically, socially they often exist in wildly different spheres, and having both in the name reflects that.

Mesoian

I had never heard of GSRM. I don't suppose I can think of a reason to be against it, but I don't think I'll be adopting it myself.

Seconded. I think LGBTQ should be built up as a symbol rather than the finer points of the acronym being dissected.

Sai-kun

Banned

this is so disingenuous and disgusting. you should feel ashamed.

Hahaha, what the fuck are you talking about? She's not murdered BECAUSE she's straight, she's murdered because the family doesn't like the guy.

If she were murdered because she were straight, it inherently implies her family wants her to be a different orientation...which I very seriously doubt.

Sit down and think for a while, your posts will be better for it.

Kangi

What's with this weird trend lately of "I don't discriminate but I'm going to keep downplaying actual discrimination"?

Stop it.

That new acronym sounds incredibly PC, politically correct. That instead of identifying lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transexuals, lets just wrap them up under a BIGGER umbrella

FYI, Your ignorance is showing.
That's generally how I feel.
It's just too mushy. I prefer a more well defined acronym if that makes any sense.

G0523

I've never heard GSRM. I think this is the very first time I've ever heard of it. Is it in popular use at all amongst the LGBTQIA/GSRM communities?

I've never heard of it either. I prefer to just stick to LGBT since it's what I know. Acronyms are confusing enough as it is.

I feel like over-acronymisation is a severe problem with advocacy of this sort. It's sort of insular, like you need a handbook to understand and sympathise. I have problems with LGBT, but at least that's popularised enough that people understand. Trying to swap it out for a far more general acronym will serve no purpose other than confusion.

HUELEN10

I feel like over-acronymisation is a severe problem with advocacy of this sort. It's sort of insular, like you need a handbook to understand and sympathise. I have problems with LGBT, but at least that's popularised enough that people understand. Trying to swap it out for a far more general acronym will serve no purpose other than confusion.
Out of curiosity, what problems do you have with LGBT?

Holmes

if we aren't that different why are we getting murdered around the world
Thanks for not letting that garbage post go unreplied.

When I walk in public and hold my fiancé's hand, it's often the looks and reactions (no matter positive or negative) that reinforce the fact that we are different. So we can at least choose our own labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom