• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about pre-ordering? I just caved in and pre-ordered for the first time

Fuz

Banned
I only prorder collector's editions.

(And I mean phisical collector's - digital collector's are a scam and people are dumb for paying more for them)

I really don't see the point in preordering anything else.

Merkades

I have zero hesitation on pre-ordering. I generally know what I want and it matters not to me when I purchase it. Hell, often I get discounts and GMG or some other site anyways, not to mention the little digital tchotchkes they usually bundle in (though sometimes it is more substantial like Tales of Arise's skill tree nodes).

Lastly, if I do make a bad purchase I am not that nonplussed or disappointed. I will never be wealthy, but I will not be missing payment on my bills because I bought a game I ended up not caring for.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have zero hesitation on pre-ordering. I generally know what I want and it matters not to me when I purchase it.
This, when you game long enough you have pretty good grasp of what games you would enjoy and what games you wouldn't.

W also live in age of internet, we can know almost everything about the game before releases so I don't see anything wrong about pre-ordering a game you are excited about.

Fbh

I never pre order.
I don't really see the point, it's not like games sell out these days and if I'm going to spend $60-$70 on a game I'd rather wait a day or 2 more and make sure there aren't any large stability or performance issues

I have pre ordered for years at amazon because I am agoraphobic, among other issues that prevent me from being outside for too long. It's easier for me to deal with.

Aion002

I hate it... Specially after ME Andromeda.

wont happen again schitts creek GIF by CBC

I preorder all my games; if i don't preorder i don't buy it. My gaming is a part of my monthly budget; nothing over 200 usd a month, that may be 2-4 games a month. I don't buy games i don't plan to finish either. It's a great system that works for me :)

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I pre-order every game that I know im buying day one two or so weeks before it releases. Pre-ordered Far Cry 6 yesterday at GameStop as that's my next new 2021 release.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
For all the people wondering why buy Forza Horizon 5 when it's going to release day one on Game Pass. Well, for me it's because it's my favourite franchise and so it's worth it for the hundreds of hours of enjoyment it's going to give me and I like to own the Forza games as I play through them over the whole course of a generation. Also it kinda was free because I purchased it with a giftcard I redeemed with points I saved through MS Rewards.

Also having a Game Pass subscription doesn't mean that I stopped buying games at all, that's such a misconception! Game Pass prevented me wasting money on something I'm not even sure about, but it also exposed me to games that I probably wouldn't have tried before and most of the time if I enjoyed such a game I seek out to buy the previous games like I did after I played through Yakuza Like a Dragon and Kingdom Hearts 3 or if I happen to like the game just purchase it when I see it on sale later like MLB The Show, Wreckfest, Dragon Quest IX etc.

I have similar view like @Wizz-Art.
But on top of that I really don't like this idea, I like to play games I know I own them, even digitally (I buy digital games usually only when they are Play Anywhere so I can install it on XSX and my PC - one purchase, two games?).
I value time more than money - I can afford any game day one, and game pass tries to steal my time and waste it experimenting with different games I would never play otherwise.
Game Pass is just not for me, if it works for you then good for you.
Thanks for the well written responses. These are the types of discussions we should be having on NeoGAF and having grown up conversations about what we like on every platform and respecting each other….. and stupid gifs and memes 😀

schaft0620

Normally I only pre-order CE's that I think might run out but, during the pandemic stores ran out of copies of Doom, Animal Crossing and FF7. I am not letting that happen with a game I have to have.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
For Kojimas next game I will order the physical collectors edition. Unless it’s another baby in a jar……maybe even still. But that’s all, never again after cyberpunk.

jakinov

For physical limited editions i can understand.
But for digital?
No offense but i find pre-ordering digital to be stupid tbh.
You get free stuff (DLC, currency, sometimes physical items, etc.) or discounts for pre-ordering digitally. Depending on the platform you can get a refund as long as you don't play the game too much or in PlayStation's case pre-order it close enough to release. Plus you also get to pre-load your digital games and play it at midnight.

Even with physical pre-orders, pre-order deposits at major retailers are 100% refundable unless you take home the game and open it. Plus online physical, if you want it day 1 you might need to pre-order.

Haggard

Banned
Monster Hunter and its add ons are pretty much the only games I still pre-order. There's not a single developer/IP left that got this level of trust from me besides the aforementioned.

NahaNago

I think it's fine to preorder if you were always going to buy the game day one no matter what. It's rare for games to come out as broken as cyberpunk on consoles.

GametimeUK

I used to pre order physical games to ensure I got one on release. If I didn't like the look of the reviews I could always return the game.

I'm in a similar situation with Steam. I don't see much of a reason to pre order digital games, but at least with steam you can refund your digital titles.

Xbox I believe lets you refund digital titles and I'm unsure of Sony's stance. Aside from preloads I can't think of a good reason to. Seems too risky and pointless (or at least it was in the past). Imagine digitally pre ordering Battlefield 4 on PS4 at launch then not being able to play the mutliplayer or get the refund you should be entitled to.

gamer82

I dont understand the hate preordering gets , whats the harm, at least a retailer knows how much demand there is should there be stock issues. It mostly doesn’t cost to preorder.they say art is subjective. I dont do reviews I like to find out for myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom