• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think is going to happen after Pokemon Sword/Shield?

Zephir

The new Pokemon games will be released next week...but after that, what's going to happen?

The controversy around this new gen is massive, National Dex, Mega/Z-moves denied and whatnot (I don't know if there's something new, I'm avoiding the leaks)...it's something that has been impossibile to ignore and it'll definitely not disappear after the games launch.

Despite all the interviews where Matsuda said they're ok with the cuts, I think the feedback received so far will be enough to make Game Freaks think carefully about their next move.

So...what do you think their next move is going to be?

Will they issue a formal apology for letting their fans down? Do you think we'll have a Sword/Shield 2 or a third version with all the 1000 whatever Pokemon? Do you think they'll keep updating these games by adding the missing monsters with free DLCs, like Pokemon GO? Or do you think nothing will change and this is the road they decided to walk, no matter how faulty it might be?

Personally, I'll buy Sword because, just like Sonic, it's my personal tradition and I'll never skip a game, no matter how shitty it is...I never really cared about the cuts because I was rarely able to complete a full Pokedex...with that said, I acknowledge this generation shortcomings and I hope we'll get a richer plate next time...or with time, with free updates. I'm sure they tried, but I'm not going to raise my fanboy shield for them...this time they deserve all the non-death threat criticism they get.

I'll say, knowing how atrocious Little Town Hero was, I hope they'll think 20 times before working on another side-project

Saber

Gold Member
A 60$ DLC physical game Sword2 and Shield2 "with more content and 100 more dex pokemon", because they still doesn't know what patchs and DLCs are.

Then moving on to the next gen, throwing a lot of concepts in the trash. Repeat the process.

As a sidenote, why they should do an apology if they already have die hard fans to lick their boots and saving them from the evil, aka consumers? Money won't be problem, so they will be fine.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

They won't change a damn thing because they have customers like yo who say shit like this:
Personally, I'll buy Sword because, just like Sonic, it's my personal tradition and I'll never skip a game, no matter how shitty it is..

They're raising the price and taking content out
Look at these guys faces during the streams, you have as much of a chance of Blizzard actually apologizing as you do these guys giving a shit what the fans think.
DcLqA7m.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Pokémon Ultra Sword & Ultra Shield. Then they'll make another set of games.

People bitch and moan about every single Pokémon generation and then it still sells 16,000,000 copies because a bunch of overgrown weeb dorks crying on the internet is not representative of the market.

This is the exact reason these games barely get any better/different, because they're going to sell to a core market anyway, why would you spend more time and resources when it's already a guaranteed sale if you just make it "okay enough"?

Obmont

Neo Member
They will have to update. Only saying this after seeing the negative Japanese reaction.

One of the biggest issues for me is that it still looks like a 3ds game and the battle animations still look worse than XD. Dexit is great exposure for these problems though and I hope they get fixed in this iteration.

Doom85

Honestly, to me the joy of Pokemon since all the way back in Gen 1 was forming a party and going on a fun JRPG adventure. That's all I ever wanted from the series, I never cared about catching them all especially as the number of mons grew larger and larger. Sword/Shield is offering what I want, a new world to explore, new Pokemon to catch (and some old ones I might include to, but I'll just catch what I happen to find without worrying about what's available or not. Hell, I'm sure in past gens I've caught an older gen Pokemon thinking it was new because guess what I play a ton of video games outside of Pokemon and can't remember all 900+ creatures), just good old fun.

If you play Pokemon for different reasons and Sword/Shield doesn't have what you're looking for, fair enough, but anyone who tries to say "I'm part of the problem" or "oh, you'll settle for anything" can kindly fuck off with that elitist logic.

woigemok

Banned
Pokemon casual fanboys would never abandon the series no matter what Gamefreak has done. Only hardcore will continue to criticize and some didn't even bother to boycott the game despite their objection toward GF.

Take a look at amazon preorder ranking, Pokemon SnS is performing identically to smash bros ultimate in term of preorder number. Let's go despite the shit content and gameplay managed to ship nearly 12m copies under 1 year on the market.

AyHhH9q.png

How gamefreak supposed to react when this shit is always producing that kind of result?

Fbh

This will happen:
wwx5exndw6b11.png

As much as I agree with them, the people complaining are just a small fraction of the audience and the vast majority of them will buy the game anyway. As long as they don't see a big drop in sales neither The Pokemon Company nor gamefreak will give a crap. Why put in more money and effort if they can sell 10 million + with their $60 HD 3DS game

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
What I don't understand is why the Let's Go games look so good and Sword/Shield look so rough.

I feel like Nintendo could offer Game Freak more help here (though I expect they probably do work together to some extent). Pokémon is huge for Nintendo; it's worth it to them to make sure every game in the series is a top-tier product.

I won't speak to the Pokédex issue. Including every last Pokémon every time s clearly unsustainable, so rotating maybe 300 hundred in and out with each game makes sense to me. But there are ways to message that instead of letting the fans figure it out on their own.

GymWolf

ueTOlJj.png

pD9Ociw.png

The game looks so shit in technical levels. At least Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has an excuse about lack of manpower and needed to release in 2017. Even with that downside, Xenoblade 2 is technically and artistically better than Pokemon SnS
Lol with all the fuckload of money they do with every game what the fuck is that shit? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nintendo really is the smartest publisher ever, low costs and massive results, god bless their bank accounts....

Last edited:

Typhares

Alright so here is my prediction: the game will sell like crazy.
The people that care about these controversies are hardcore as fuck so they will buy the game anyway.
People like me (haven't played pokemon since Silver/Gold) don't give a fuck, in fact national dex for example make me more inclined to play it!

Saruhashi

Banned
Hopefully the fandom will get over it.

I don't really get it to be honest. If there are really over 800 different Pokemon then it just seems idiotic to me to have ALL of them in every single game.

However, I would think selling the missing ones as DLC is extremely bad form.
I'd like to see them add updates that maybe secretly adds a Pokemon here and there once in a while.

Surely it would be preferable for the game to come out and for people to organically discover which Pokemon are in the game?
It seems mad to me that people are all over leaks wanting to know who is in and who is out. Why not discover that as you play?

Pokemon is one of those games that is always pretty good and very popular but the way people get so outraged and so upset over it just seems a bit too much to me.

I get that they have a very young audience but at some point those kids need to learn that you don't always get what you want.

It's one of those "good for all ages" games so it's really sad to see people just so mad and worked up about it.

All this shit about performance and whining about which Pokemon are in the game just doesn't really seem to be in the spirit of the game.
Like, at this stage, people already know what Pokemon is and what to expect.

Jooxed

Gold Member
There have been hints there will be no third version this time. Possibly a sequel or prequel but I will not get into spoiler territory. The next games will also be Sinnoh remakes

Saruhashi

Banned
Honestly, to me the joy of Pokemon since all the way back in Gen 1 was forming a party and going on a fun JRPG adventure. That's all I ever wanted from the series, I never cared about catching them all especially as the number of mons grew larger and larger. Sword/Shield is offering what I want, a new world to explore, new Pokemon to catch (and some old ones I might include to, but I'll just catch what I happen to find without worrying about what's available or not. Hell, I'm sure in past gens I've caught an older gen Pokemon thinking it was new because guess what I play a ton of video games outside of Pokemon and can't remember all 900+ creatures), just good old fun.

If you play Pokemon for different reasons and Sword/Shield doesn't have what you're looking for, fair enough, but anyone who tries to say "I'm part of the problem" or "oh, you'll settle for anything" can kindly fuck off with that elitist logic.

Yeah, this is pretty much the correct attitude towards it in my opinion.

Pokemon isn't going to be a medium defining, paradigm shifting, game of the year contender.
It's a very specific game offering a very specific experience and doing it pretty well year after year, it seems.

It's always amusing to me to see people who are incredulous because people are willing to go out and buy something that they like.

The graphics, for example. Yeah, it just looks like a Pokemon game to me. Don't see what the problem is.

Obmont

Neo Member
Pokemon casual fanboys would never abandon the series no matter what Gamefreak has done. Only hardcore will continue to criticize and some didn't even bother to boycott the game despite their objection toward GF.

Take a look at amazon preorder ranking, Pokemon SnS is performing identically to smash bros ultimate in term of preorder number. Let's go despite the shit content and gameplay managed to ship nearly 12m copies under 1 year on the market.

AyHhH9q.png

How gamefreak supposed to react when this shit is always producing that kind of result?

First sentence is the problem is the main problem and quite possibly the only reason those are at the top of the charts. People are saying that there will be a backlash when the casuals play but I doubt it. They'll play for 90 minutes then get on reddit to post to r/PokemonSwordAndShield to say "Thanks you so much for your sacrifice Matsuda. This game is truly a master piece." and then never touch the game again. I really believe that the Japanese reaction will be the only thing to get us a natdex update.

Saber

Gold Member
ueTOlJj.png

pD9Ociw.png

The game looks so shit in technical levels. At least Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has an excuse about lack of manpower and needed to release in 2017. Even with that downside, Xenoblade 2 is technically and artistically better than Pokemon SnS

The problem is not even that. It feels like people blind their own eyes whenever someones points at the horrible tree textures, rock textures, water reflections, models sizes, etc.

I was talking to my brother, GF are really the slowpokes of game developing.

Worst part is that people keep using "realistic" as an excuse to defend mediocre looking graphics, when we have things like Dragon Quest, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Mario Odyssey, etc and none of those ever tried to be realistic but still looks gorgeous.

Codes 208

Im guessing we’ll either get remakes of p/d/p or enhanced versions of these games (pokemon trebuchet) with slightly better graphics and a larger pokedex as selling points.

Caffeine

Im guessing we’ll either get remakes of p/d/p or enhanced versions of these games (pokemon trebuchet) with slightly better graphics and a larger pokedex as selling points.
you want d/p remakes in this engine? looking like that.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
ueTOlJj.png

pD9Ociw.png

Pokemon for PS1 confirmed

to be fair. i am viewing a single still image on a 27" 1440p monitor so yeah it's gonna look worse stretched out and a blurry mess compared to it running on a Switch.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Same as always, more pokemon.

More card series, another game, a spinoff game, more pokemon go, more anime. When it comes to nintendo you can always bet they will just keep doing what they have always done and never stray from it.

Zog

Banned
bunch of overgrown weeb dorks crying on the internet is not representative of the market.

Consumers speaking out about things they dislike are called overgrown weeb dorks?

Last edited:
Some people will raise their swords, and others will raise their shields. Additionally,, some people will raise their Pokemon.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
ueTOlJj.png

pD9Ociw.png

Funny thing is Atelier games barely sells any where close to Pokemon games but they still improve their engine and art direction.
6366563cv16d.jpg

atelier-ryza-ever-darkness-and-the-secret-hideout-1.jpg

Atelier-Ryza-11-780x439.jpg

Pokemon really needs improve both their engine and their art direction.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Consumers speaking out about things they dislike are called overgrown weeb?

This happen more often than you can imagine. Even though GF said that the game is intended to be played for all ages and SwSh is aimed towards veterans(unless veterans means 10 year old kids).
Reminds me of people going to a game community or a gaming forum and calls everyone "nerd" or "virgin".

Reactions: Zog

StormCell

I think Nintendo should be bold and approach Game Freak on the matter. If Game Freak wants to work on something that they feel is more ambitious than Pokemon, then LET THEM. Hand them some other IP in exchange for allowing Nintendo to take some direction over who will work on the next Pokemon game.

Yes, I know Game Freak is an equal partner in the property, and they will still make bank on units sold. It's just that Nintendo can field a better team for the next title than what GF is dedicating to it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Next gen will bring about a new era of Pokemon.

Now there will be 3 versions on release. First launch will be called Pokemon: Rock, Paper, Scissors

I'm trolling. Hey how about the OP maybe clue us non Pokemon fanatics in on what this controversy is?

Obmont

Neo Member
This blatantly started off as a 3DS game, but got moved to Switch late in development.
Would have loved to play this on my 3ds for $40 tbh; natdex problem included. Something about that additional $20 and lack of graphical fidelity on the Switch just hurts and I'll be skipping this for now.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Does hitting the Y button activate the modern graphics?

Whereas Game Freak have a ton of work to do in progressing their series, people are taking the most unflattering pictures they can find and saying your game is shit, etc from the leaks I have seen some impressive area's as well.

Though from what I am concerned about one of the major cities is desolate. No one walking the stress nothing. Hoping maybe the leaker had a pretty updated build or something who knows but it looked pretty dreary

Vawn

Banned
They're releasing a new game. If you don't like what it has to offer, dont buy it.

But that haven't "taken out" anything. It's a new game. They're letting you guys choose to buy it if you want it or don't if you don't.

Obmont

Neo Member
Next gen will bring about a new era of Pokemon.

Now there will be 3 versions on release. First launch will be called Pokemon: Rock, Paper, Scissors

I'm trolling. Hey how about the OP maybe clue us non Pokemon fanatics in on what this controversy is?
To name a few:

• 64% cut to the Pokedex (national dex). ex. Charizard line is present but no Bulbasaur or Squirtle. All legendaries gone. The models in use are all being reused from when they were future proofed in X/Y so the work would have just been texturing and shading to include them.
  • Game looks bad in comparison to other new 1st and 3rd party games on the Switch.
  • $20 price increase for what amounts to a 3ds game.
  • Promise of higher quality animations being worked on to justify the pokedex cut which turned out to be copied over from Sun and Moon.
  • No acknowledgement by Game Freak, Pokemon Company, or Nintendo on the above even though they blatantly lied about why they had to cut the pokedex.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
ueTOlJj.png

pD9Ociw.png

no it's not xenoblade 2 is the most shittiest looking game i ever played on my switch. It looks like barf on handheld. At least i can see wtf i am looking at on the screens you posted

Jigsaah

Gold Member
To name a few:

• 64% cut to the Pokedex (national dex). ex. Charizard line is present but no Bulbasaur or Squirtle. All legendaries gone. The models in use are all being reused from when they were future proofed in X/Y so the work would have just been texturing and shading to include them.
  • Game looks bad in comparison to other new 1st and 3rd party games on the Switch.
  • $20 price increase for what amounts to a 3ds game.
  • Promise of higher quality animations being worked on to justify the pokedex cut which turned out to be copied over from Sun and Moon.
  • No acknowledgement by Game Freak, Pokemon Company, or Nintendo on the above even though they blatantly lied about why they had to cut the pokedex.
Wait so they're straight up admiting they want $20 more for 46% of a game? And lemme make sure I understand you right. This is happening to the latest game, Sword and Shield?

Has anyone come up with a theory why they would do this? Was it a forced decision due to less people working on the game...or lack of funding (not likely) or are they making it open world? MMO? There's gotta be something, why would they just destroy their game? Was there balancing issues? I mean I know there's a lot of pokemon.

Top Bottom