• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think MS will do with Bethesda PS/Nintendo multiplat games?

What will MS do with PS/Nintendo games in development now or later?

• Cancel development of existing and future games

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Release what's being developed (ie. Deathloop), but cancel all new ones not started going forward

Votes: 123 56.4%
  • Like Minecraft, just keep games multiplatform everywhere like nothing happened

Votes: 86 39.4%

• Total voters

T-Cake

Sell them as usually everywhere, but make them included with GamePass.

Yes and then you have a choice as a customer. Pay for Game Pass and get the games for that monthly amount or have to pay full whack on PS5/Steam/other platforms. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bethesda games disappearing from PS Now when the acquisition is complete.

Last edited:
The thing is, if they're releasing everything that's already being worked on for all platforms, wouldn't that include both Starfield and TES 6, i.e. probably the only big releases Bethesda Game Studios is gonna have next gen?

acm2000

this is a "in it for the long haul" purchase for MS, these IPs will stay multi platform for the indefinite future to rake in the cash.

if they make them all xbox/pc exclusive then its big big news, and also batshit crazy since they will never get that $7.5b back that way, although i could see the smaller stuidos going xbox/pc exclusive

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Lol Zenimax would lose a TON of value if that happened. It'd be like EA going exclusive.
Yes but their asses are owned by MS now. :messenger_grinning_smiling: From one hand these franchises remaining multiplatform means more money for MS but on the other hand if they become exclusive i imagine they will make Gamepass significantly more attractive for a lot of people.

splattered

I have a feeling this is in no way decided in Redmond yet. They probably want to wait to see how the XSS and XSX sell to determine if all these new studios can stand soley on Microsoft legs or not. But if they are smart they will make the games one year exclusives and as big and awesome as they can be, that way everyone that is willing to buy an xbox to get the games earlier will do so and then they will go on to make butt loads of money off of other consoles a year later.

Timed exclusivity with GamePass, strategic distribution from there at a premium. If you want MS games, the service will have to be offered on the platform, otherwise you’re paying sticker price, which they will be happy to charge, all the while knowing they offer the better deal where the service is available.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't think they're going to make them exclusive, that's just not how MS works these days. But they're not just going to release them... I think MS is going to use this to get GamePass on Playstation, where it will be like Origin or whatever it is called now. One fee for all of MS' games, because it's a lot of games. They'll put Halo on PlayStation too, after they get that.

Lol Zenimax would lose a TON of value if that happened. It'd be like EA going exclusive.
No they wouldnt because people that really wanted to play those games get them on PC or buy a XBOX. And what would happen if EA would go exclusive? Fifa players would just get the console which has fifa. This "they are leaving money on the table" nonsense should stop.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I bet will be just like Minecraft. It's good money
Except minecraft was all ready everywhere. That was one game. You don't see avowed or other new studios games multiplatform. Microsoft didn't spend that much money to help Sony. Does insomniac games come to xbox now lo?

ethomaz

Banned
Depends...

- These near release timed PS5 exclusive... won't chance anything (there is a contract active).
- Starfield and Oblivion VI... depends if the Purchase contract has a clausule that forces MS to release in all platforms announced.
- New games announces... probably all Xbox & PC only.

I bet Microsoft releases Bethesda games on PS5 and Switch (when possible.) I also bet that there's exclusive content on Xbox.

Holammer

Sony excluded is an option, but I wonder if they'll remain magnanimous and continue releasing multi format.
Fallout and Elderscrolls Like EA sports games and COD are console staples. They would destroy Playstation by denying them Bethesda games.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't think they consider the Switch a direct competition to the Xbox, since (imo) it appeals to wide different markets.

So my guess is: they like money and will continue to support the Switch.

A mixture, some on other platforms others exclusively on Xbox/PC , as the Phil Spencer statement says they have some unannounced stuff cooking.

HALO X DOOM ?

nikolino840

Like always, already announced games and partnership will remain,need at least...5 years to see something new....but for now is all marketing and speaking about Xbox is very important for Xbox in this times

Batiman

Banned
People here saying they shouldn’t be exclusive we’re some of the same people cheerleading a Spider-Man IP exclusive lol.

They will release whatever’s in development for all while the rest stay exclusive. They might release them everywhere while day 1 them on gamepass for Xbox. But then who would want to buy them for ps5? It be cheaper to buy an xss or XSX with gamepass then it would be to buy 4 or 5 of their games on a Ps5/ps4

Aion002

PC and Xbox.

Sony excluded is an option, but I wonder if they'll remain magnanimous and continue releasing multi format.
Fallout and Elderscrolls Like EA sports games and COD are console staples. They would destroy Playstation by denying them Bethesda games.

ShrillHeavyFlatfish-small.gif

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Really dont know with this one. ESO will obviously stay on all platforms. Looks like Starfield will still be a multi, but what about the new fallout and Doom?

skneogaf

Selling the games on steam/pc stores not windows store, Playstation store and Nintendo store but having them on gamepass is genius move!

I want to play those games...... Do I want to buy them?........or do I just want to pay an already good price and get all the games they do plus loads of xbox exclusive games and loads of good games anyway on gamepass! Easy choice!!

Anything announced likely has contracts in place, which would realistically have clauses and provisos written in just in case a buy out occurred.

After that though, most likely smaller games might get a Switch/Switch 2 release, but I doubt we'll see any of Bethesda's bigger games outside PC and Xbox.

This is 100% whats going to happen

I have to say, Bethesda must have fallen on hard times to be sold like that.

I don't expect Bethesda IPs to become Xbox exclusives, not unless Minecraft join them. But we will see.

I actually have hope that this might improve Bethesda's output. I basically abandoned Bethesda for years now. What's the worst thing that can happen?

Hostile_18

Banned
If they remain on all consoles what is the point in MS buying them?

Hopefully this may force Sony out of its comfort zone it's been in the last two years.

sublimit

Banned
Yes, but Minecraft is different. And it was on other platforms before.
Those will be new games. So why give them to your competition.
Money? MS gets tons of money from Minecraft sales on other platforms.

Except if you mean new IPs.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Except minecraft was all ready everywhere. That was one game. You don't see avowed or other new studios games multiplatform. Microsoft didn't spend that much money to help Sony. Does insomniac games come to xbox now lo?
There's Bethesda games everywhere and no comments about canceling those. Also, it was Zenimax as a whole that Microsoft bought, not Bethesda Games, not a Bethesda studio, not some IPs. Insomniac Games was independent, like Platinum Games is. Anyone could buy and there you go. It's two different beasts

Chiggs

There is going to be some level of exclusivity, period. I'd be interested in reading countering opinions, provided they're not full of self-delusion or include touchy-feely "games are great and the console war is over" PR nonsense from MS.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Microsoft is smart from a business perspective, not like the old fashioned japonese with their exclusives. They much rather get

100% of all sales on Xbox - MS Store for PC
and
70% of all PS - Nintendo - PC storefronts

Than keep fighting for the 30% with Sony. Honestly I don't care about exclusivities, as long as all games are released on PC. Hopefully we can see an Evil Within3 , and PLEASE new QUAKE!!!

KAOS

Hold future games as peace offerings or hostage the next time Sony wants to play the exclusivity game!

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
The very fact that Xbox buys first party studios and that we discuss if they'll release their first party games on other platforms is a huge reason of why Xbox deserves more love on this forum. Imagine this same conversation being held in regards to Playstation or Nintendo. Its laughable

Future big games will be Microsoft ecosystem exclusive with the occasional switch (or switch 2, I guess) late port here and there. The PlayStation-exclusive userbase (people who ONLY own a PlayStation without a switch, Xbox or gaming pc) is overrated. If Sony can pulls stunts like the FFXVI one then you can bet that MS will go for the jugular with the big franchises that they just aquired.

With xcloud gaming is about to change forever anyway and MS will be at the forefront.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If they are now ms first party, does that now mean all of thier future games are included in gamepass? If so thats huge just for that.

Top Bottom