• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think MS will do with Bethesda PS/Nintendo multiplat games?

What will MS do with PS/Nintendo games in development now or later?

• Cancel development of existing and future games

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Release what's being developed (ie. Deathloop), but cancel all new ones not started going forward

Votes: 123 56.4%
  • Like Minecraft, just keep games multiplatform everywhere like nothing happened

Votes: 86 39.4%

• Total voters
Exclusive for MS means the PC market as well. The exclusivity that MS is preaching is Xbox/PC.

And I see that being the case for all but a select few of these IPs going forward. I could see Elder Scrolls VI being on PS5.

But case-by-case is very interesting decision.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't understand how they will make back their investment if they DON'T release these games on all platforms they can.

Phil said that selling the most consoles isn't what's most important for MS, so what good would making the games Xbox-exclusive do? The PS5 will almost definitely outsell the two Xboxes, so they'd be leaving a lot of money on the table. Now, you might argue that the same is true for Sony, so why don't they also release their games on Xbox? But Sony is a hardware company, they want to sell a lot of consoles.

Last edited:

sainraja

Yes but their asses are owned by MS now. :messenger_grinning_smiling: From one hand these franchises remaining multiplatform means more money for MS but on the other hand if they become exclusive i imagine they will make Gamepass significantly more attractive for a lot of people.

Gamepass does have other multiplatform titles on it (e.g. Red Dead Redemption) so it would be attractive nonetheless. Might even be more so if multi-platform since people could compare the cost of the game across systems.

I don't understand how they will make back their investment if they DON'T release these games on all platforms they can.

Phil said that selling the most consoles isn't what's most important for MS, so what good would making the games Xbox-exclusive do? The PS5 will almost definitely outsell the two Xboxes, so they'd be leaving a lot of money on the table. Now, you might argue that the same is true for Sony, so why don't they also release their games on Xbox? But Sony is a hardware company, they want to sell a lot of consoles.

They tried all kinds of messaging to see what "sticks" and when they were saying selling the most isn't important it was probably based on the situation they were aware of. This certainly changes things a little bit for them. If this move allows them to sell more Xboxes, then surely it will be what is most important. :D Basically, time can change everything.

At a start of a generation you can never be sure of what is going to sell the most or what is not. I mean, I am sure Microsoft thought the same going from X360 to XONE. I know PS3 came out ahead in the end but Microsoft's confidence was there and it just didn't pan out.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member

Phil said that selling the most consoles isn't what's most important for MS, so what good would making the games Xbox-exclusive do? The PS5 will almost definitely outsell the two Xboxes, so they'd be leaving a lot of money on the table. Now, you might argue that the same is true for Sony, do why don't they also release their games on Xbox? But Sony is a hardware company, they want to sell a lot of consoles.

You just answered your own question, Microsoft is a software subscription company. They make their trillions from Cloud & Office, Gamepass is the next piece. All those games go to Gamepass day one along with exclusivity after anything already announced to get more people into the service.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You just answered your own question, Microsoft is a software subscription company. They make their trillions from Cloud & Office, Gamepass is the next piece. All those games go to Gamepass day one along with exclusivity after anything already announced to get more people into the service.

Pretty sure they are losing a lot of money on Gamepass. I guess somehow they intend to turn that into profit, but I'm not sure what the plan is.

Redlancet

Banned
as they did with mojang you dont spend 7,5 billion to do just exclusives,they will be multiplat for now,people who think the next elders scrolls wont be on ps5 will be disspointed,but alas its gonna be gamepass day one,thats big

Fallout/Starfield/TES/Doom - all MS exclusives from now on. Why the hell wouldn't they press the advantage. They aren't in this to sell copies of individual games, they are in it for marketshare for their Gamepass platform.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
I know some people get wet panties over hardware sales numbers, but Microsoft doesn't care and plans in the long term. So i'm pretty sure every game will be released on PS5 as well. At most i could imagine 1 month timed exclusivity or exclusive game content.

Supmate

Neo Member
As well as the short term this is a very long term bet on streaming and the revenues it will generate. I think of Apple iTunes store where people basically bought ipads and iPhones to buy their proprietor mp3 format music... And then came Spotify and literally destroyed that revenue stream because streaming is the way people like to consume music. Spotify is available on everything. Xbox is following the same model. People will still buy games like they do music on iTunes but the real growth is streaming if this business follows the music publishing business.

Remember they just bought a tonne of content over the last 30 years. All they have to do is make it compatible with their streaming service and all that content will be making $$$ for the next however many years.

This deal makes so much sense in an environment where Microsoft have 7.5 billion in the bank with interest rates at nothing. Cash deal omg!!!

Pretty good for the console war too I guess lol!

lefty1117

Gold Member
I don't think they're going to make them exclusive, that's just not how MS works these days. But they're not just going to release them... I think MS is going to use this to get GamePass on Playstation, where it will be like Origin or whatever it is called now. One fee for all of MS' games, because it's a lot of games. They'll put Halo on PlayStation too, after they get that.

Not a bad take at all

iJudged

Banned

well, this puts them in the position they weren't in before. They can make all of the games Xbox exclusives, sell shitload of consoles, then switch them onto PCs as well, milk that for a bit, and then eventually release them to PS to milk the $ some more....they can do whatever then want

remember, at this point it is all about subscribers, that's the game they're playing, no matter Xbox or PC, of course, if they are in the position to gain the subs and sell the hardware, why not do both at once.

These are the studios/games/exclusives that move the hardware, they will take advantage of that.

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
As long as you can play these games using GamePass it does not matter where they are released. In the end of the day will be the cheapest and best option.

ruvikx

Banned

Microsoft probably has bigger more important streams of revenue than their gaming division. I reckon people who go solo PlayStation in terms of hardware ownership should revise their expectations, i.e. Microsoft don't need to release The Elder Scrolls or Fallout on PlayStation to justify their investment (hint: they make money elsewhere).

Who knows, maybe Phil Spencer might just read all the fanboy "Elder Scrolls is gonna be on PS5 because I say so!" Internet whinging & decide to make it entirely Xbox exclusive now. They do own the franchise, in case you've forgotten, i.e. they can do whatever the hell they want.

yurinka

I think they will continue with existing plans for the already announced games (timed console exclusive for Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo) and after that they will become full Xbox console exclusives.

And most Bethesda games, like most other MS IPs will turn into crossplay GaaS to better fit Game Pass. So a bigger portion of the games moved to paid DLCs/expansions not included in Game Pass, microtransactions, etc.

Last edited:

spookyfish

It’s funny, I’m console-agnostic, and tended to buy these games for One X ANYWAY, but something about this rubs me wrong. Buying IPs, to me, isn’t the same as “Our first party games are amazing!!”

It’s a little hypocritical, I know, but I would feel the same about Sony’s buying Warner Bros Games, and MK or Injustice going exclusive. Not a fan.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Microsoft probably has bigger more important streams of revenue than their gaming division. I reckon people who go solo PlayStation in terms of hardware ownership should revise their expectations, i.e. Microsoft don't need to release The Elder Scrolls or Fallout on PlayStation to justify their investment (hint: they make money elsewhere).

Who knows, maybe Phil Spencer might just read all the fanboy "Elder Scrolls is gonna be on PS5 because I say so!" Internet whinging & decide to make it entirely Xbox exclusive now. They do own the franchise, in case you've forgotten, i.e. they can do whatever the hell they want.

So just because Xbox isn't the most important division within MS you think they just spend billions on buying studios for fun, with no expectations to make that investment back? Yeah, I don't think that's how trillion dollar corporations work.

Bog

Junior Ace
C, but they’re not going to tell you that until you run out and preorder their hardware.

Megatron

The people who said they will release them multiplatform are in serious denial.

they will honor all contracts. Then the vast majority will be exclusives. They may choose to release smaller titles elsewhere, but even then will probably choose Nintendo first. Fallout, Doom, Starfield, Elder Scrolls are not coming to PS5.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Can't say I care to be truthful. I'd rather they didn't lock-down onto just PC/Xbox because it denies fans and will assuredly cost jobs, over and above the ones in publishing that are now definitively going to be surplus to requirements.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Keeep publishing to all devices. Thats their end goal. One service on all devices.
This is correct. Maybe not in the way you think though. Xcloud opens up a slew of devices to go along with PC, Steam and Xbox consoles. PS5 isnt really needed. You dont spend this amount of money to help your competitor, especially when you have the premier streaming service that broadens the gaming landscape substantially.

Ninty may see a title or two but I wouldnt count on Sony seeing much after contracted releases.

Likely times exclusives for PC, Xbox, and Gamepass for most games. I don't see any world where ES6, Fallout 5, or Starfield don't get same day release for full price on PS5.

The MS/Nintendo bromance will continue. I hope they get the port house that did Skyrim to bring Fallout 3, NV, and perhaps a downgraded 4 to Switch.

junguler

Banned
i think they have learned their lesson with the rise of the tomb raider fiasco, there will be no stunts like that anymore i hope. new ips and new sequels will come to xbox and pc and maybe switch as it's not really their competitor.

Gavon West

If they are now ms first party, does that now mean all of thier future games are included in gamepass? If so thats huge just for that.
All of Bethesda games are day one on Game Pass. Plus many others. Evil Within 3 is also now an exclusive.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Most Bethesda games were already on Gamepass so this will change nothing for now and for the next couple of years. If they make Fallout and ES6 exclusive then gamers and gaming as a whole lost big today.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The concern here is once again hilarious. MS just bought up a bunch of your favorite IP's. Instead of crying how about it, why not just hop on the hype train. Pre-orders go live tomorrow at 11am EST and you can even probably get one.

Gavon West

There's people way above the XBox division's power and influence who aren't going to allow the company to turn down the profits these titles will still generate on PS5, Nintendo, PC, etc.

Basically you'll still see every Fallout/Doom/Elder Scrolls on Playstation for decades to come.

You're dreaming.

Gavon West

They are, but that’s because they are multiplatform. They are really not generate that amount of money on pc only. Most of their games still sell more on console then pc. You think full exclusive wouldn’t hurt them in sales...lol?

This the Minecraft model.
Youre missing the forest for the trees broski. ES6 for example is not just a console seller, its a sub seller too. More of a sub seller than the latter. GP pays monthly. GP is still the anchor that all this is joined with. Xbox is about to see substantial growth over the next five years and they dont need to give Sony access to do it.

Megatron

Todd already confirmed they remain multiplaform.

Do you have a link? I don’t think he said that. The existing announced games: Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo will come to PS5. But that’s it. The only official word is other games will be ‘case by case’ and they comes from Todd’s boss, Phil Spencer.
In other words, don’t expect to see them on Playstation.

Gamerguy84

Unfortunately they will probably end up looking like shit now. Like HALO Infinate/Craig edition Unless they start charging real money for gamepass.

They won't have the graphical quality for the PS brand.

Batiman

Banned
So when Sony buys a dev its totally okay for their games to be PS exclusive. MS buys a dev and people are begging for the games to be multiplatform. Nice double standard.
Spider-Man alone says it all. One of the most popular mainstream characters of all time. Exclusive

Top Bottom