• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of Enka?

Lupingosei

Banned
There is actually quite a lot of music theory behind Enka because of the fusion of the Japanese minor pentatonic scale and Western influences into Japanese music.

It is traditional and still modern.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Did she ever do a Fly Me to the Moon cover for Evangelion? This totally puts me in an 80’s anime or Yakuza Zero vibe...sure I’ve heard her before. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

lachesis

I actually enjoy both Japanese Enka and Korean Trot music off and on.. although I'm more into 80-90's Japanese city pop and K pop, which I grew up with.

But Enka and Trot music - I like the poetry of the music and how it tells the stories, sometimes very blunt man/woman stance of that era... Used to think of the whole genre for old and laugh - but when I go to Karaoke & sing these days, I sound more and more Enka/Trot singers in terms of singing technique lol... feeling the age. ;)

I actually enjoy both Japanese Enka and Korean Trot music off and on.. although I'm more into 80-90's Japanese city pop and K pop, which I grew up with.

But Enka and Trot music - I like the poetry of the music and how it tells the stories, sometimes very blunt man/woman stance of that era... Used to think of the whole genre for old and laugh - but when I go to Karaoke & sing these days, I sound more and more Enka/Trot singers in terms of singing technique lol... feeling the age. ;)
Picasso were great

This isn’t something I’d ever listen to, but I appreciate and recognize the talent. The music is good, her voice is amazing, just not really my thing.

That said, thank you to the OP for introducing me to a genre of music I’d never heard of; I saw “Enka” and had no clue what it was.

Top Bottom